Awoo.

Sonic Colors's Story: Your Opinion

Dark Qiviut

Story was inoffensive at worst. Sonic trying to free aliens from being used as fuel for an interstellar amusement park is one of the most Sonic-cy sounding plots ever, and I love the concept.

The dialogue is hot garbage most of the time, but I wouldn't call that story-related.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just hope they never make a story like Colors ever again.  I never thought It would be possible for me to hate this hedgehog, but Colors made me loathe him more than almost anything.  I almost hate him as much as Mephiles.

Sonic Colors was actually a very historically important game for Eggman fans.

It was the first 3D platformer (except for arguably 3D Blast, depending on how you want to define "3D") to feature Eggman as the main villain and final boss. After a solid streak from Adventure through Unleashed of Eggman being sidelined by other baddies (though not without some good times, like his playable appearance in SA2), the Doc finally reasserted himself as the big bad at the end of a 3D Sonic game. It may not seem so special nowadays, but in 2010, after 12 years of only getting the occasional handheld final boss spot, that was a pretty big deal.

But that's just the concept. How's the execution? Honestly, I'd say it's a mixed bag. Eggman, Orbot, and Cubot were genuinely really funny and likable. I feel like Pontac and Graff don't have quite as good a grasp on the heroes, and made Sonic and Tails just a bit grating. I don't think I minded them as much as some people here did, and it's far from their worst showing; Tails got far more irritating in Lost World, for sure. But I do think these writers don't really get how to write Sonic or Tails. Whereas they pretty much nailed Eggman, and elevated him from a mismanaged background character to the front-and-center villainous ham he was meant to be. The entire game taking place in his gaudy amusement park, with hilarious taunts and one-liners blasted over the PA system in every level? Yes please.

So while, objectively, Colors is rough around the edges and kinda bungled its depiction of the main characters... I just can't be too bothered by that in light of how great this game was for Eggman, both in its historical context and in how it depicted him in-game. I'll always look at Colors' story fondly as an Eggman fan, as it marked the end of the doctor's dark age. And to me, that's always worth celebrating.

• Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

In other words "Screw you, I got mine" I see how it is :V

In all seriousness though; it's honestly just a matter of perspective. For Adventure fans, it's the antithesis to everything they loved about the series and the start of a downward spiral that arguably still persists to this day. For others, it's a breath of fresh air of years of convoluted storylines and characterizations, and others are just ambivalent and think the story is ultimately harmless. 

It's a complicated issue, because this fanbase all have ways they want the series to be that don't necessarily coincide with each other. 

For my take, while I agree that Eggman himself is better, he's not the character who we have to play as and is on screen for most of the game. That would be Sonic and Tails, and while I don't think they're TOO bad here, the traits that they have here wouldn't be addressed in any of the later games, so it kind of makes me dislike the game somewhat in hindsight. That's not to say their characterizations were inherently superior before, but there was a lot more going on in the prior stories to distract you from it. Now there's nothing to distract you, and it really just exposes at how bad the current writers just don't understand the main characters. 

And that's a significant problem for the characters you're meant to be rooting for. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What are these bad traits Sonic and Tails have starting with Colors? People always bring them up bit never really explain what they actually are.

To me Colors is the first time Sonic ever truly felt like he had an attitude outside of the comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

What are these bad traits Sonic and Tails have starting with Colors? People always bring them up bit never really explain what they actually are.

To me Colors is the first time Sonic ever truly felt like he had an attitude outside of the comics.

People have explained it many times...

And as you said, you're coming from the COMICS, where Sonic's attitude is much more prominent whereas it's never really been all that much of a thing in the games until recently. 

I grew up on the Adventure games from 2001 to 2009; Sonic's character is really not one with "attitude", but just a laidback adventurer with a heart of gold. That's probably MY preferred interpretation of Sonic, and the one I associate with him the most. But I also understand that people found that "boring" so we get to Colors. 

But my thing with Colors is that the "attitude" part of Sonic only worked because he had someone else to balance him out, namely Sally. If Sonic was too much of a dick, Sally was there to reign him in. And that worked. That doesn't really work in the games, especially since I never associated "attitude" with Sonic's character, and there's nobody there to actually humble Sonic, so watching just go off and off just makes me roll my eyes at worst. 

I don't mind Sonic being somewhat obnoxious, but there's no real counterbalance to it, so it just him come off as annoying to me, in addition to the fact that it's just not a characterization I really care all that much for to be applied to Sonic. It was fine for the Western media, but not the video games that were under a whole different context. 

If they insist on having Sonic act this way, then they need to start to letting other characters take him down a peg or two; have characters like Eggman, or Shadow bruise that ego of his so he's not too insufferable. 

But I recognize that these are my personal feelings, and not everyone feels this way, because I am very much aware how much praise Sonic gets for his new personality. It's why it's such a divisive issue, because everyone has a different idea on how Sonic should be portrayed. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

53 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

In all seriousness though; it's honestly just a matter of perspective. For Adventure fans, it's the antithesis to everything they loved about the series and the start of a downward spiral that arguably still persists to this day. For others, it's a breath of fresh air of years of convoluted storylines and characterizations, and others are just ambivalent and think the story is ultimately harmless. 

It's a bit more complicated than that for me too.

I for one really liked Eggman in Adventure and especially in Adventure 2. He was playable and got some good character development, plus insight into his childhood and family. And I do miss things like that.

I'd like a nice balance; Frequent "Eggman as main villain" games and frequent "Eggman as anti-hero/temporary ally" games could give us the best of both worlds with this character. 

My issue is that much of the 00s after Adventure 2 left Eggman in kind of a lame limbo where he didn't really get either. In games like Heroes for example, he was neither an active villain or hero. He was just a victim on the sidelines without much presence, and I just kinda felt like the franchise didn't really have a place for him for a while.

Colors broke a long streak and at the time was quite welcome. Now? Honestly, ten years later I'm in the market for another Adventure 2-esque game. I want another game with a more quiet, thoughtful Eggman. One who - as something other than the main villain - gets a chance to show off some of his more heroic and sympathetic qualities. It's not a "grass is greener" thing either; I genuinely do appreciate both aspects of the character, and would love to see them with some regularity, without over-focusing on one or the other.

5 hours ago, SBR2 said:

It’s mostly Sonic people have a problem with.  About at least 95% of the stuff that comes out of his mouth are unfunny kindergarten, actually no, PRESCHOOL levels of childish and immature.  He barely had any serious moments, and when he did the next minute it was gone.  That scene where Tails gets controlled?  One minute he’s worried and trying to snap Tails out of it, the next he thinks they made a bet and tells Tails to pay up.  And that was after a giant killer robot just appeared.  This is why I’ll always prefer Lost World.  After Tails got captured he was determined to get him back.  And he sure didn’t take Zavok telling him he would be turned to a robot lightly.

I'm not going to argue your preferences, but does Sonic need to take every situation seriously? Has there ever been a point in the series where he's 100% stone-faced in every situation?

Because even in the Adventure games, he was taking things pretty lightly for the most part. So I have no idea where this meme  that Sonic always took everything seriously before and now he doesn't came from. 

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Miles Storzillo said:

It’s mostly Sonic people have a problem with.  About at least 95% of the stuff that comes out of his mouth are unfunny kindergarten, actually no, PRESCHOOL levels of childish and immature.  He barely had any serious moments, and when he did the next minute it was gone.  That scene where Tails gets controlled?  One minute he’s worried and trying to snap Tails out of it, the next he thinks they made a bet and tells Tails to pay up.  And that was after a giant killer robot just appeared.  This is why I’ll always prefer Lost World.  After Tails got captured he was determined to get him back.  And he sure didn’t take Zavok telling him he would be turned to a robot lightly.

So if Sonic's not serious business all the time it's bad? I'm sorry but Sonic is not the most super serious character around. He's a daredevil whose constantly on the search for an adventure. He doesn't need to constantly be super laser focused on a single goal.

That's the kind of stuff that bugs me about pre-Colors Sonic. He never felt like he was enjoying the adventure. He just comes across like a generic Shonen protagonist that maybe sometimes smirks at the danger but mostly just comes across like you could replace him with anyone and nothing would change. 

Sonic in all the games since Colors has felt closer to my ideal version of Sonic. A jokester daredevil who enjoys the thrills but can realize when the situation is dire. It feels like everyone just ignores the times Sonic does take the situation seriously because he said Baldy Nosehair like maybe twice since it was introduced. 

• Thumbs Up 1

MY version of Sonic is clearly better than your version of Sonic. 

5 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

It's a bit more complicated than that for me too.

I for one really liked Eggman in Adventure and especially in Adventure 2. He was playable and got some good character development, plus insight into his childhood and family. And I do miss things like that.

I'd like a nice balance; Frequent "Eggman as main villain" games and frequent "Eggman as anti-hero/temporary ally" games could give us the best of both worlds with this character. 

My issue is that much of the 00s after Adventure 2 left Eggman in kind of a lame limbo where he didn't really get either. In games like Heroes for example, he was neither an active villain or hero. He was just a victim on the sidelines without much presence, and I just kinda felt like the franchise didn't really have a place for him for a while.

Colors broke a long streak and at the time was quite welcome. Now? Honestly, ten years later I'm in the market for another Adventure 2-esque game. I want another game with a more quiet, thoughtful Eggman. One who - as something other than the main villain - gets a chance to show off some of his more heroic and sympathetic qualities. It's not a "grass is greener" thing either; I genuinely do appreciate both aspects of the character, and would love to see them with some regularity, without over-focusing on one or the other.

You'll have to forgive me, but I've never much prioritized Eggman's characterization; as long as he's a fun and entertaining villain, he can do whatever the hell he wants. 

The games after Adventure 2 were focused on the main character's growth (or well...just Shadow and Silver's :V) so Eggman kind of took a backseat. But since I know you didn't really care for Shadow all that much, I can understand why you just didn't really care for the game given how boring Eggman was. 

I will prioritize the main characters over the villains, but I will call foul when Eggman is done dirty too; it's just that Eggman is rarely ever done too badly too me, so I don't have to talk about him as much.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

So if Sonic's not serious business all the time it's bad? I'm sorry but Sonic is not the most super serious character around. He's a daredevil whose constantly on the search for an adventure. He doesn't need to constantly be super laser focused on a single goal.

That's the kind of stuff that bugs me about pre-Colors Sonic. He never felt like he was enjoying the adventure. He just comes across like a generic Shonen protagonist that maybe sometimes smirks at the danger but mostly just comes across like you could replace him with anyone and nothing would change. 

Sonic in all the games since Colors has felt closer to my ideal version of Sonic. A jokester daredevil who enjoys the thrills but can realize when the situation is dire. It feels like everyone just ignores the times Sonic does take the situation seriously because he said Baldy Nosehair like maybe twice since it was introduced. 

I’m not gonna lie, this is kind of a me problem, but I have an even bigger issue involving his characterization.  HD Unleashed is one of my top 5, if not 3, favorite games of all time and there is one certain scene that is so touching it nearly drives me to tears.  The scene where Chip tells his backstory to Sonic.  I already found it a great scene my 1st time watching, but it’s one certain part that makes it my favorite scene in the whole franchise:

Excuse me for a moment.

Alright, I’m back.  Anyways, yeah.  I can never get enough of that.  Unfortunately, immediately afterwards he became nothing more than a clown that tells jokes so bad they’re comparable to Teen Titans Go.  The only good thing is that Jason didn’t return because if he was to voice lines this horrendous I would lose all respect I ever had for him.  At this point I would rather have 06 Sonic.  At least he’s so boring there’s nothing for me to despise about him.

Eggman's dialogue during the gameplay is actually the best writing in the game imo, and it actually fleshes out the park better than the cutscenes do. I don't care for Eggman overall as the dominant force though if it's always going to be like this. Sonic and Eggman are best when they have a genuine hatred of eachother/their ideals that makes them both more proactive. This doesn't have to necessarily manifest into dark, intense storytelling. It can be loony tunes type shit. Just have them be driven by something. This shit where they both just kick back all game just doesn't do it for me, at all. 

Sonic and Eggman never actually directly fight in SA2 but they were at least one-upping eachother the whole time. 

7 hours ago, Miles Storzillo said:

I’m not gonna lie, this is kind of a me problem, but I have an even bigger issue involving his characterization.  HD Unleashed is one of my top 5, if not 3, favorite games of all time and there is one certain scene that is so touching it nearly drives me to tears.  The scene where Chip tells his backstory to Sonic.  I already found it a great scene my 1st time watching, but it’s one certain part that makes it my favorite scene in the whole franchise:

Excuse me for a moment.

Alright, I’m back.  Anyways, yeah.  I can never get enough of that.  Unfortunately, immediately afterwards he became nothing more than a clown that tells jokes so bad they’re comparable to Teen Titans Go.  The only good thing is that Jason didn’t return because if he was to voice lines this horrendous I would lose all respect I ever had for him.  At this point I would rather have 06 Sonic.  At least he’s so boring there’s nothing for me to despise about him.

That is a goiod scene I'll admit but I also don't really see how Sonic is a "clown" now. Sonic is always making fun of his enemies it's like his thing. He barely makes any jokes in Generations because he's so focused on saving his friends, in Lost World he get's progressively less jokey as the situation gets more dire and yeah he makes some quips in Forces but he's pretty all business there desperately fighting the fight and trying to figure out Infinite's source of power.

I just don't where this idea of "lolz self aware meme" Sonic is coming from.

28 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

That is a goiod scene I'll admit but I also don't really see how Sonic is a "clown" now. Sonic is always making fun of his enemies it's like his thing. He barely makes any jokes in Generations because he's so focused on saving his friends, in Lost World he get's progressively less jokey as the situation gets more dire and yeah he makes some quips in Forces but he's pretty all business there desperately fighting the fight and trying to figure out Infinite's source of power.

I just don't where this idea of "lolz self aware meme" Sonic is coming from.

Actually, the clown part was directed towards Colors (I said immediately afterwards, not immediately afterwards and to this day).  I didn’t find anything afterwards as annoying.  Generations story was so nothing it somehow became both a hinderance and advantage, as I said Lost World made him more serious, and there were some scenes in Forces I rather enjoy, namely his goodbye to the Avatar.  

Right around this game (or maybe this game specifically), I realized that Sonic has become a lot more like Mario and Hello Kitty style of mascot.

Suffice to say that I started to got a less invested. It's simply not the kind of Sonic I seek. There was something about the presentation, tonal shift, budget, etc. that simply rubbed me the wrong way more than any prior titles.

Though in its defense, the clash likely started at Generations. 

• 1 month later...

(Come on guys, where are the news on the new game?  I don’t care when it comes out, just give me something to talk about)

Going back here I can’t help but feel attacked by most of these replies.