Awoo.

Sonic Colors's Story: Your Opinion

Dark Qiviut

I have a horrible, unshakable feeling that I'm going to immediately regret making this post because I know half of Sonic fans have logs lodged up their asses and will feel the need to tear my post apart, dissecting each and every sentence and detailing how "wrong" it is...

But I'm going to throw my two cents in anyway. Here goes nothing!

Colors had the best story since Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Sonic Adventure and Adventure 2 both had enjoyable stories, but an enjoyable story is by no means necessarily a good one. They were enjoyable because they were a break from the norm: no longer was Sonic running around saving cute woodland critters and mystical floating islands and their cute woodland critter inhabitants, but he was saving people. He saved a whole city from an aquatic god in SA, and the entire planet from a crazed scientist and his vendetta against humanity in SA2. Well neat. For his first 3D outings it's fitting that he does something pretty damned cool. The writing and voice acting were lacking, sure, but the stories were executed well enough.

Then came Heroes which tried to be fun and lighthearted but was extremely bland because of it. It came together in a fantastic (yet extremely cheesy, in the wrong ways) ending but that didn't make up for the rest of the plot consisting of a couple of four nearly identical sets of cutscenes, none of which were very fleshed out. This wasn't really a problem on its own, but while the bulk of the game had next to no plot, the ending was too story-driven and it was a horrible contrast. Shadow the Hedgehog of course was a load of utter bullshit story-wise, and Sonic the Hedgehog followed suit. That level of seriousness has no place in a game about an anthropomorphic blue hedgehog, no matter what anyone's opinion may be. It's a kid's game for fuck's sake.

Unleashed was an interesting one. It really had me going for most of the story, thinking "Hey, this really did balance lighthearted fun well with an intriguing plot." Of course, it had to go and pull the ending out of its ass. For the rest of the game Chip is the cute sidekick of ambiguous species that added tons to the light feel of the story. And suddenly you get to the ending and he goes "WHOOPS I'M A GOD WHODDA THUNK IT". Like Heroes it did the majority of the story well and fell flat on its face when it veered off into something totally different at the last stretch. But at the very least, it was a step up from previous attempts.

And then we have Colors. The premise wasn't ridiculous by any means. Eggman has always, since the very first game, built huge unnecessary structures. Lately he's been trying to cover them up and pretend he's remorseful since he's obviously figured out what he tried before wasn't working (Mmm, delicious development! What a change from monster of the week every single time). He wanted to take over the world and hey! he's always wanted to do that. For once he turned out to actually be the villain. For that alone I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't be praising this story. As for Sonic himself, what in the world is this whole "He's never been a cocky jokester" thing coming from? It's not that this isn't his personality, it's that this part of it hasn't been shown in so long. Too many games have been passing him off as the generic good guy without any unique aspects at all. In Colors he actually acted like he's turned fighting Eggman into a daily routine and instead of being LOLSERIOUS about everything, he loosened up and had fun. He and Eggman go so far back they no each other inside and out. Sonic's relation to him is the kind where he should be able to joke about it.

And hell, if everything I just said is completely wrong, remember one thing: It's a series aimed at children.

It annoys me to no end to see people complain that Colors' story was so fun and silly. The Sonic fanbase really needs to pull the logs from their collective anuses and realize that if they're going to play a game for kids, they should expect a story for kids. And before someone stuffs words in my mouth, this is in no way aimed at anyone in this thread. It's simply my thoughts on the fanbase as a whole.

• Thumbs Up 5

Then came Heroes which tried to be fun and lighthearted but was extremely bland because of it. It came together in a fantastic (yet extremely cheesy, in the wrong ways) ending but that didn't make up for the rest of the plot consisting of a couple of four nearly identical sets of cutscenes, none of which were very fleshed out. This wasn't really a problem on its own, but while the bulk of the game had next to no plot, the ending was too story-driven and it was a horrible contrast. Shadow the Hedgehog of course was a load of utter bullshit story-wise, and Sonic the Hedgehog followed suit. That level of seriousness has no place in a game about an anthropomorphic blue hedgehog, no matter what anyone's opinion may be. It's a kid's game for fuck's sake.

Edited by SuperStingray

You may not mean what I think

"Watson," said he, "if it should ever strike you that I am getting a little over-confident in my powers, or giving less pains to a case than it deserves, kindly whisper 'Norbury' in my ear, and I shall be infinitely obliged to you."

To me, the cockiness of Sonic in Colors just felt really forced. It just felt like they made him cocky at times just for the sake of trying to implement a few jokes. In Unleashed, Sonic's extra cockiness being shown wasn't bothersome at all, because he did it when it felt natural to. They let him joke around when the time was right. Colors does it every moment he gets, and it turns into extremely long jokes that just don't work. You know, in the first cutscene, I didn't mind the cockiness of him in that one at all, because it wasn't being overdone like the scenes before the boss fights.

Yes, I know this series is aimed at kids, but kids aren't the only Sonic fans here. Sonic has fans of all ages, so I don't think Sega should just try to appeal to one specific age group with all of its games. But hey, I guess the game that was supposed to be for the older fans was Sonic 4, too bad I didn't really enjoy that either. <_<

I guess I'm just totally against this story because Sonic has been serious in the past, and that's where I feel Sonic shines. This wouldn't be the case if Sonic had always been this goofy and cocky, but replacing what I felt work with a new Sonic that just annoys me to death just disappoints me is all.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Watson," said he, "if it should ever strike you that I am getting a little over-confident in my powers, or giving less pains to a case than it deserves, kindly whisper 'Norbury' in my ear, and I shall be infinitely obliged to you."

Exactly what the heck are you quoting and how in the world is that even relevant?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Unleashed was just as much for kids as Colors was, it just didn't have the epicness.

And in any case, yeah Sonic was a little overly talkative, but this game wins for Sonic's character because of his big brother instinct towards Tails, and how he protects him throughout the entire game, and thats why Sonic is at his character peak in Colors.

Sherlock Holmes, The Yellow Face by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.. Consider it my compliment to you for your insight.

To me, the cockiness of Sonic in Colors just felt really forced. It just felt like they made him cocky at times just for the sake of trying to implement a few jokes. In Unleashed, Sonic's extra cockiness being shown wasn't bothersome at all, because he did it when it felt natural to. They let him joke around when the time was right. Colors does it every moment he gets, and it turns into extremely long jokes that just don't work. You know, in the first cutscene, I didn't mind the cockiness of him in that one at all, because it wasn't being overdone like the scenes before the boss fights.

Yes, I know this series is aimed at kids, but kids aren't the only Sonic fans here. Sonic has fans of all ages, so I don't think Sega should just try to appeal to one specific age group with all of its games. But hey, I guess the game that was supposed to be for the older fans was Sonic 4, too bad I didn't really enjoy that either. <_<

I guess I'm just totally against this story because Sonic has been serious in the past, and that's where I feel Sonic shines. This wouldn't be the case if Sonic had always been this goofy and cocky, but replacing what I felt work with a new Sonic that just annoys me to death just disappoints me is all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dude, every 3D game(Bar Heroes) was LOLSRSBUISNESS" one game without it isn't the end of the world, I could understand if this was happening for a few games, but it hasn't. We had Shadow, we had 06, hell even Unleashed as simple as it was got a little serious, ONE game without a giant monster threatening to destroy the planet isn't going to kill the franchise, think of it as a break for those who were tired of the Monster of the Week formula, and who were tired of Eggman NOT being the final boss.

And while Sonic may have been overly done in terms of the attitude department, he has more personality than in any other game in the series(Except for maybe Black Knight).

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I don't even have a problem with all those things you mentioned. All I have a problem with was Sonic's attitude and how utterly useless the story was. And again, I don't agree more personality means better personality. And you know what, we don't know where Sega is going to go with Sonic. They might continue with this direction and produce more games with cheesy jokes and more boring plots. Since they are listening to the fans, I'm gonna make it clear exactly how I feel about the story and Sonic's characterization.

I don't mind a simple plot every now and then, but that doesn't mean I have to like it do I? No, if I dislike something about it, I'm going to state it if I wish to do so.

Know what, I really did like Eggman as the final boss. It still did feel a lil epic with the final attack in the boss. But just because Eggman is the final boss, shouldn't excuse everything else the entire story does wrong. I find it ridiculous how one little detail can make an entire story great.

You're right we don't know, so quit acting like this is what the series is going to be from now on.

You really need to have a more open mind, consider the circumstances behind Colors.

Sonic & Tails going to ruin another one of Eggman's schemes, while saving some aliens.

There's nothing for Sonic to take serious, he's fighting against a fucking ferris wheel with eyes, no one with a right mind will take that seriously. I already said they need to dial back on the jokes.

Sega really need to stop considering what the fans want, and just make a great fucking game that's all.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

You're right we don't know, so quit acting like this is what the series is going to be from now on.

You really need to have a more open mind, consider the circumstances behind Colors.

Sonic & Tails going to ruin another one of Eggman's schemes, while saving some aliens.

There's nothing for Sonic to take serious, he's fighting against a fucking ferris wheel with eyes, no one with a right mind will take that seriously. I already said they need to dial back on the jokes.

Sega really need to stop considering what the fans want, and just make a great fucking game that's all.

Ya know, I really don't like how you're attacking me for having an opinion. What exactly is it about my posts that make you want to go and cuss at me? I don't like Colors' story, that's my opinion, why should I be cussed at for it? And you know what, I never said I wanted Sonic to be more serious, I said I wanted him to tone down the jokes and cockiness. I outright said I LOVED Unleashed's story, and yes, the story of that game is a lil childish too. But in Unleashed, I feel it's done right.

I would agree, and disagree on that comment. First off, yes, SEGA should just make a great game, if anything they should know what the fuck they're doing instead of relying on the fans for suggestions, and just make a good Sonic game like Colors. But a company listening to the fans can benefit actually. look at New Super Mario Bros., people said "Hey Nintendo, why don't you make a classic style Mario game?" Nintendo then took that response and made New Super Mario Bros. So sometimes considering what the fans want can benefit.

Dude, calm the fuck down.

It's a fact that Sonic is a lot more flamboyant in Colors, and you and I like that. He doesn't. It's a fact that Colors' story is a lot simpler than the past ones. You and I like that. He doesn't.

Chill. I realize that we haven't had news for a while, and we're just biding our time until some announcements, but we hit a dead end a while ago with this argument. It's just a difference in opinion. Calm the fuck down.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ya know, I really don't like how you're attacking me for having an opinion. What exactly is it about my posts that make you want to go and cuss at me? I don't like Colors' story, that's my opinion, why should I be cussed at for it? And you know what, I never said I wanted Sonic to be more serious, I said I wanted him to tone down the jokes and cockiness. I outright said I LOVED Unleashed's story, and yes, the story of that game is a lil childish too. But in Unleashed, I feel it's done right.

That last part wasn't directed at you, it was more of a general thing, I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way.

I was merely saying that one game without a story isn't the end of the world, and shouldn't be treated like it brought down the game. I understand you don't like the story, but don't say the game sucks, because of it. And if you read the post you quoted, I did say they should dial back on the jokes.

I would agree, and disagree on that comment. First off, yes, SEGA should just make a great game, if anything they should know what the fuck they're doing instead of relying on the fans for suggestions, and just make a good Sonic game like Colors. But a company listening to the fans can benefit actually. look at New Super Mario Bros., people said "Hey Nintendo, why don't you make a classic style Mario game?" Nintendo then took that response and made New Super Mario Bros. So sometimes considering what the fans want can benefit.

Actually NSMBW came to be, because Miyamoto decided he wanted co-op in a Mario game, and just decided to make it 2D, he never said it was the return to the classics, or the sequel the fans wanted.

That last part wasn't directed at you, it was more of a general thing, I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way.

I was merely saying that one game without a story isn't the end of the world, and shouldn't be treated like it brought down the game. I understand you don't like the story, but don't say the game sucks, because of it. And if you read the post you quoted, I did say they should dial back on the jokes.

Actually NSMBW came to be, because Miyamoto decided he wanted co-op in a Mario game, and just decided to make it 2D, he never said it was the return to the classics, or the sequel the fans wanted.

I was talking about the one on the DS

I was talking about the one on the DS

I never remember that being a return to the classics either, and at least in NSMB they added new power ups and new level design, rather than just rehash old levels and bosses.

I never remember that being a return to the classics either, and at least in NSMB they added new power ups and new level design, rather than just rehash old levels and bosses.

Yeah, SEGA should take notes and make sure Episode 2 feels more like Sonic the Hedgehog 4 instead of Sonic Advance 4: Rush Adventure Remix

Ok, so I read the first page, and skimmed the second. I think that's enough cause after that you all started repeating yourselves.

I agree with the pro Colors crowd. Let's talk about Sonic the Hedgehog. The haters call it flanderization, I call it MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT. I am of the opinion that between between SA2 and Colors, game Sonic (and by extension Sonic X Sonic) has flat out sucked. He reeks of Boring Invincible Hero and quite frankly had me making a mad dash for the Start button (especially with 4kids at the vocal helm). The western portrayals have always been infinitely more likeable for me, and to finally see the games come back around to it was a breath of fresh air. Roger Craig Smith's superior to every past VA bar Jaleel White's Sonic performance was the icing on the very sweet cake.

I like Sonic trash talking enemies before (and after) boss fights (especially with how sucky Colors's bosses were), I like him being "bros" with Tails, I like him even making fun of Eggman's speeches. He has attitude again, and this is something that should be embraced and kept. I do admit, there's a slight bit of nostalgia here.The cartoons and comics were what got me into Sonic back in the day. I was all for the blue dude with a 'tude. To see that in full play makes me happy and glad that I stuck with this franchise.

I personally hope these writers aren't a one trick pony. They should stay here for the long haul. As for the story itself, I am perfectly fine with how simple it was in colors. That's the way it should be for this series. Quite frankly, Sonic the Hedgehog is not a "OMG SO DEEP AND SERIOUS BUSINESS" and really has no business trying to be. This is like asking for Final Fantasy plots from "My Little Pony"! It's just stupid, and shows you may have some serious taste issues. Sure the game is a total package thing, but honestly, the story should be the appetizer, and a small one at that. The meat and potatoes of Sonic has always been the gameplay, and that's where all the focus should go.

If they keep up what they have in Colors, I just might stop waiting for Super Sonic spoilers and buy the games blin--ok, so there's no way in seven hells I'll ever do that, but hey, at least the thought was there!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Personally, I think Sonic's personality is almost perfect in Colors. He finally has some character in him again.

...he...just needs better lines. Maybe trim a few.

Well then I guess my major problem with this complaint is that I never found Sonic to be unlikable in Colors. Hell, the guy's got more personality than he's had in a long time.

Just because he had "more personality" like you claim doesn't mean it's the RIGHT one. Sonic can be cocky, impatient, and rude. But he took all of it to the extreme. That was NOT how Sonic in the games established himself. The Sonic shown in Colors is about as out of character as I've seen in the games. If he were to make these constant cracks earlier, then maybe I would've been okay. Not here.

Edit: Also I would appreciate if you would point out where Sonic's ego literally penetrated his head. Is it like a sperm entering an egg or what.

1. All these wise-ass jokes that he came up with in many cutscenes. (Does the "BBBE" pun come to mind?)

2. Talking gloatingly to the bosses nearly half the time, as if he KNOWS Eggman can't hear him. Including one that was DESTROYED.

3. Taunting the robots and Eggman during his "speeches," including one where he did push-ups with ONE arm! That's quite classless coming from him.

If you can't call a goddamn ferris-wheel robot stupid, what can you call stupid?
Sonic has faced Eggman time and time again. No matter how ridiculous-looking his robots might be, each one is dangerous. Sonic prior to Colors may pull a smirk at the belligerent attacks, but he'd never take them that lightly. He knows that one slip-up could kill him. Not in Colors Wii. It's like Colors!Sonic was constantly laughing at him and thought that would walk all over it before the fight even started. Look at the constant taunts from Sonic during some of the pre-Boss scenes. That's NOT who he is. He showed a constant lack of respect for Eggman because of his constant taunts, sarcasm, and the way he presented himself towards the bosses.

Seriously? Because...he told some dumb jokes and got a little cocky? That makes him worse-than-'06? It's like you want Sonic to have the blandest, dullest, most white-bread personality possible. He's a cocky and adventurous hero, not a little girl having a tea party.

You don't understand me. It's the way he acted towards Eggman and his sarcastic attitude as a whole. These traits are what he's known for. But prior to Colors Wii, he was a lot tamer in them. Even Black Knight, In Colors Wii, they're grossly exaggerated. When you bastardize a character that was established, that's BAD writing. (One of the ONLY taunts from Colors Wii that fit was the "Baldy McNosehair" pun.)

Yes, I'm definitely one who thinks that Next Gen!Sonic IS better than the one in Colors Wii. NG!Sonic acted more like Sonic even with his more serious outlook. Now, granted, Sonic in NG wasn't well-written at ALL. A lot of his dialogue was very cringe-worthy. But even he didn't treat Eggman like a joke. He displayed that silly attitude, although not as much. But he knew Eggman was a menace and treated him like one. Yet, Sonic in Next Gen also showed some respect towards Eggman. The way NG played itself out, the circumstances and the way Sonic was intended to be portrayed fit more and was more in character, even though he wasn't as balanced in personality as hoped. Colors!Sonic didn't show that, even after the Eggster brainwashed Tails. One would THINK that Colors!Sonic would show an ounce of respect for Eggman therefore.

----

@Aquaslash: Personally, I don't mind serious stories. But I don't mind the silly ones, either. Depending on the games' circumstances, they don't need to be THAT complex. Unleashed and Colors had the same amount of silliness and simplicity. The problem here is the writing quality. Unleashed's characterizations were more consistent to the foundation ST put out, and it was better executed. In Colors, this writing's bipolar. The villains were well-done, Sonic was out of character and westernized. If his westernized characterization was there from the beginning, then I would've been okay. But it wasn't. Colors!Sonic and Sonic before Colors are very inconsistent; they don't match. That's very poor writing. (And I LOVE the SatAM, Archie, and AoStH versions of Sonic.)

And you're wrong when you said Sonic's attitude was back. Sonic's attitude was never lost. He always had that flamboyancy. Black Knight is the best example I can provide here — Sonic's 'tude was coming out from every line out there. But it was a tad tamer and not as sarcastic. Yet, when he went a bit overboard, Caliburn kept him in check. Actions come consequences, and Sonic GREW from that in Black Knight. But it wasn't that extreme. His impatience and cockiness were (intended to be, if you count NG and Shadow) more balanced with his sense of justice and thirst for adventure. In Colors Wii, however, there wasn't a balance. One of the only times that I found Sonic to be properly characterized throughout a whole cutscene in Colors Wii was in Asteroid Coaster after he noticed all the Wisps being captured and stored.

And if you think we're all "haters" of Colors here because we're critiquing Sonic's attitude and the overall story's execution, you're mistaken. I LOVE Colors. It's one of my favorite Sonic-verse games. Just not Sonic's out-of-place characterization.

I don't mind him having an attitude. All I suggest is for it to be toned down a bit.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just because he had "more personality" like you claim doesn't mean it's the RIGHT one. Sonic can be cocky, impatient, and rude. But he took all of it to the extreme. That was NOT how Sonic in the games established himself. The Sonic shown in Colors is about as out of character as I've seen in the games. If he were to make these constant cracks earlier, then maybe I would've been okay. Not here.

What does that even mean?

1. All these wise-ass jokes that he came up with in many cutscenes. (Does the "BBBE" pun come to mind?)

2. Talking gloatingly to the bosses nearly half the time, as if he KNOWS Eggman can't hear him. Including one that was DESTROYED.

3. Taunting the robots and Eggman during his "speeches," including one where he did push-ups with ONE arm! That's quite classless coming from him.

1. The BBBE is the only lame joke, and I don't see how Sonic making jokes is considered terrible writing.

2. Tails calls him out on this, and that is was strange of him to be doing soooo....

3. You're complaining that he's doing one armed push ups really? How is it classless, doing a one armed push ups if anything is a form of showing off, and Sonic is a show off. And you act like Sonic isn't allowed to taunt Eggman.

*facepalm* Sonic has faced Eggman time and time again. No matter how ridiculous-looking his robots might be, each one is dangerous. Sonic prior to Colors may pull a smirk at the belligerent attacks, but he'd never take them that lightly. He knows that one slip-up could kill him. Not in Colors Wii. It's like Colors!Sonic was constantly laughing at him and thought that would walk all over it before the fight even started. Look at the constant taunts from Sonic during some of the pre-Boss scenes. That's NOT who he is. He showed a constant lack of respect for Eggman because of his constant taunts, sarcasm, and the way he presented himself towards the bosses.

Yeah, god forbid Sonic pokes fun at the guy who's ass he's been kicking for years.

You don't understand me. It's the way he acted towards Eggman and his sarcastic attitude as a whole. These traits are what he's known for. But prior to Colors Wii, he was a lot tamer in them. Even Black Knight, In Colors Wii, they're grossly exaggerated. When you bastardize a character that was established, that's BAD writing. (One of the ONLY taunts from Colors Wii that fit was the "Baldy McNosehair" pun.)

How is it bastardize, oh because he blows out a few one liners, you make it seem like he crapped on Eggman's head.

Yes, I'm definitely one who thinks that Next Gen!Sonic IS better than the one in Colors Wii. NG!Sonic acted more like Sonic even with his more serious outlook. Now, granted, Sonic in NG wasn't well-written at ALL. A lot of his dialogue was very cringe-worthy. But even he didn't treat Eggman like a joke. He displayed that silly attitude, although not as much. But he knew Eggman was a menace and treated him like one. Yet, Sonic in Next Gen also showed some respect towards Eggman. The way NG played itself out, the circumstances and the way Sonic was intended to be portrayed fit more and was more in character, even though he wasn't as balanced in personality as hoped. Colors!Sonic didn't show that, even after the Eggster brainwashed Tails. One would THINK that Colors!Sonic would show an ounce of respect for Eggman therefore.

After Eggman shot Tails with that ray, the first thing Sonic did was go after Eggman, no witty remarks, no jokes, he immediately charges at Eggman. And you can clearly tell he's pissed at what he did to Tails.

----

@Aquaslash: Personally, I don't mind serious stories. But I don't mind the silly ones, either. Depending on the games' circumstances, they don't need to be THAT complex. Unleashed and Colors had the same amount of silliness and simplicity. The problem here is the writing quality. Unleashed's characterizations were more consistent to the foundation ST put out, and it was better executed. In Colors, this writing's bipolar. The villains were well-done, Sonic was out of character and westernized. If his westernized characterization was there from the beginning, then I would've been okay. But it wasn't. Colors!Sonic and Sonic before Colors are very inconsistent; they don't match. That's very poor writing. (And I LOVE the SatAM, Archie, and AoStH versions of Sonic.)

What? Sonic was westerninzed as far back as the 90's, after Adventure came out they decided to slightly tone down the attitude part. after Heroes, Sonic was SHIT, and I don't care what anyone says, he was so one dimensional in that game, he just spouted crap about Teamwork, and nothing more. And Sonic acts no different in Colors, than he does in the Archie comics.

And you're wrong when you said Sonic's attitude was back. Sonic's attitude was never lost. He always had that flamboyancy. Black Knight is the best example I can provide here — Sonic's 'tude was coming out from every line out there. But it was a tad tamer and not as sarcastic. Yet, when he went a bit overboard, Caliburn kept him in check. Actions come consequences, and Sonic GREW from that in Black Knight. But it wasn't that extreme. His impatience and cockiness were (intended to be, if you count NG and Shadow) more balanced with his sense of justice and thirst for adventure. In Colors Wii, however, there wasn't a balance. The only time that I found Sonic to be properly characterized throughout a whole cutscene in Colors Wii was in Asteroid Coaster after he noticed all the Wisps being captured and stored.

All the cutscenes before the one you mentioned, Sonic had no reason to take Eggman seriously. And he clearly shows modesty, unless you missed the parts where he constantly is saying he couldn't do it without Tails, and thanking Yacker for saving his ass, yeah Sonic is a real asshole for that.

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

*facepalm* Sonic has faced Eggman time and time again. No matter how ridiculous-looking his robots might be, each one is dangerous. Sonic prior to Colors may pull a smirk at the belligerent attacks, but he'd never take them that lightly. He knows that one slip-up could kill him. Not in Colors Wii. It's like Colors!Sonic was constantly laughing at him and thought that would walk all over it before the fight even started. Look at the constant taunts from Sonic during some of the pre-Boss scenes. That's NOT who he is. He showed a constant lack of respect for Eggman because of his constant taunts, sarcasm, and the way he presented himself towards the bosses.

----

And you're wrong when you said Sonic's attitude was back. Sonic's attitude was never lost. He always had that flamboyancy. Black Knight is the best example I can provide here — Sonic's 'tude was coming out from every line out there. But it was a tad tamer and not as sarcastic. Yet, when he went a bit overboard, Caliburn kept him in check. Actions come consequences, and Sonic GREW from that in Black Knight. But it wasn't that extreme. His impatience and cockiness were (intended to be, if you count NG and Shadow) more balanced with his sense of justice and thirst for adventure. In Colors Wii, however, there wasn't a balance. One of the only times that I found Sonic to be properly characterized throughout a whole cutscene in Colors Wii was in Asteroid Coaster after he noticed all the Wisps being captured and stored.

And if you think we're all "haters" of Colors here because we're critiquing Sonic's attitude and the overall story's execution, you're mistaken. I LOVE Colors. It's one of my favorite Sonic-verse games. Just not Sonic's out-of-place characterization.

So what you're saying is that you hate Colors Sonic because he was inconsistent with his personality in previous games, saying that it's "poor writing". That couldn't be any more wrong. That's not "poor writing", it's "realizing that the character has been fucking boring since SA2". By your logic, SA2 Sonic sucks because he's completely different from SA1 Sonic (I can get into an entire debate about this if you so wish), Heroes Sonic sucks because he's nothing like SA2 Sonic, 06 Sonic sucks because he's nothing like Heroes Sonic, and Secret Rings Sonic sucks because he's nothing like 06 Sonic.

Not only is this line of thought completely idiotic, but it's a total fucking contradiction to your avatar there.

Edit:

Oh, and that remark you made about Sonic not respecting Eggman after he brainwashed Tails makes no sense. Sonic doesn't stop or say anything when Tails got zapped, he charged straight at Eggman just like Shadic said. If someone attacked my younger brother with a mind control beam I wouldn't respect him, I'd just kick his ass.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Just because he had "more personality" like you claim doesn't mean it's the RIGHT one.
Yes, but a character needs to have a personality to be likable, and prior to Colors Sonic kind of...didn't. He had his moments, sure, but they were few and far between, separated by oceans of blandness.

Sonic can be cocky, impatient, and rude. But he took all of it to the extreme.
I don't think you know what the word "extreme" means. Seriously, all of those traits could be taken way, way, WAY beyond how Sonic was in Colors. Even in Colors, this supposed "worst Sonic ever" doesn't do anything that would offend even your sweet old granny. Hell, there are people on this board that act worse than Sonic did.

That was NOT how Sonic in the games established himself.
Maybe how he had established himself wasn't right. Sonic was originally supposed to be a little bit edgy, at least as much as a cartoon animal can be. Colors isn't a betrayal of what Sonic is as much as a revival of what he was.

Now compare this to the guy who desecrates ancient ruins so he can put his face on them (and everything else). What Sonic does is pocket change, small potatoes.

Sonic has faced Eggman time and time again. No matter how ridiculous-looking his robots might be, each one is dangerous.
sonic-2-emerald-hill-boss.gif

Really?

Come on, man. This is not a David and Goliath situation (at least not usually). Sonic is not a helpless woodland creature going up against an army of superstrong killbots. He's a superfast superhero fighting ferris wheel robots and candy pirate robots. Not every fight is a life or death struggle...and when it is, Sonic does get serious. Even in Colors it's obvious that he's not just playing around when Eggman shows up in the Nega Wisp Armor; if he thought it was all a joke, he wouldn't have forced Tails to safety.

You don't understand me. It's the way he acted towards Eggman and his sarcastic attitude as a whole.
As a whole, he is only slightly more edgy than a devout choir boy.

When you bastardize a character that was established, that's BAD writing.
You only see it as a bastardization because you don't like the outcome (and you have a seriously warped view of the range of rude behaviors). For the people that are happy with it, obviously they see it as an improvement; and changing how a character is portrayed is entirely justified if the outcome is beneficial.

(One of the ONLY taunts from Colors Wii that fit was the "Baldy McNosehair" pun.)
B-b-bu-but he insulted him! That's not respect! That's not respect at all...

It's becoming harder and harder to take you seriously on this matter. No matter how I look at it, I can't see any way your position meshes with reality, even given the freedom of opinions. It is in fact such a massive distortion of reality that I don't think I can ever convince you (nor you me), because the base premises are so alien to me that I have no way to handle them.

Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1