Awoo.

Sonic Colors's Story: Your Opinion

Dark Qiviut

@Aquaslash: Personally, I don't mind serious stories. But I don't mind the silly ones, either. Depending on the games' circumstances, they don't need to be THAT complex. Unleashed and Colors had the same amount of silliness and simplicity. The problem here is the writing quality. Unleashed's characterizations were more consistent to the foundation ST put out, and it was better executed. In Colors, this writing's bipolar. The villains were well-done, Sonic was out of character and westernized. If his westernized characterization was there from the beginning, then I would've been okay. But it wasn't. Colors!Sonic and Sonic before Colors are very inconsistent; they don't match. That's very poor writing. (And I LOVE the SatAM, Archie, and AoStH versions of Sonic.)

And you're wrong when you said Sonic's attitude was back. Sonic's attitude was never lost. He always had that flamboyancy. Black Knight is the best example I can provide here — Sonic's 'tude was coming out from every line out there. But it was a tad tamer and not as sarcastic. Yet, when he went a bit overboard, Caliburn kept him in check. Actions come consequences, and Sonic GREW from that in Black Knight. But it wasn't that extreme. His impatience and cockiness were (intended to be, if you count NG and Shadow) more balanced with his sense of justice and thirst for adventure. In Colors Wii, however, there wasn't a balance. One of the only times that I found Sonic to be properly characterized throughout a whole cutscene in Colors Wii was in Asteroid Coaster after he noticed all the Wisps being captured and stored.

And if you think we're all "haters" of Colors here because we're critiquing Sonic's attitude and the overall story's execution, you're mistaken. I LOVE Colors. It's one of my favorite Sonic-verse games. Just not Sonic's out-of-place characterization.

I don't mind him having an attitude. All I suggest is for it to be toned down a bit.

I think everyone else said it best when they likened it to fixing something that was horribly broken. The westernized characterization should have never left the games or have been downplayed. Quite frankly it is a BIG part what made Sonic the icon he is today. I don't even know why SEGA feels the need to cater to Japan in these games. Japan has overall treated Sonic like slag, yet they still get preferential treatment. However, I will admit to have never played Black Knight. I am of the opinion that it is a horrible game, and as such, haven't touched it with a ten foot pole.

I'll say I respect your points though. :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

You see, that's good for you guys that prefer the Sonic back in the classic days. But you see, this is going to turn off the fans that grew to love the modern Sonic, which wasn't nearly as joking and arrogant. So like, to change the character immediately to what he was before may please retro fans, but it really disappoints fans like myself that grew to love what Sonic was in the modern games before Colors, and really comes as to a complete surprise seeing the sudden change in personality we've gotten used to. I think Sega met a line that pleased both sides in Unleashed, at least that's my opinion. Sonic had attributes from both his classic days and his modern days in Unleashed.

So I REALLY don't think going to the extremes of either side is the answer, that's selfish. So even though I would love darker plots like Sonic Adventure 2, I'd also be able to put up with something more simplified like Unleashed. But nothing Colors level, please.

Edited by RidersDX
  • Thumbs Up 2

You see, that's good for you guys that prefer the Sonic back in the classic days. But you see, this is going to turn off the fans that grew to love the modern Sonic, which wasn't nearly as joking and arrogant. So like, to change the character immediately to what he was before may please retro fans, but it really disappoints fans like myself that grew to love what Sonic was in the modern games before Colors, and really comes as to a complete surprise seeing the sudden change in personality we've gotten used to. I think Sega met a line that pleased both sides in Unleashed, at least that's my opinion. Sonic had attributes from both his classic days and his modern days in Unleashed.

So I REALLY don't think going to the extremes of either side is the answer, that's selfish. So even though I would love darker plots like Sonic Adventure 2, I'd also be able to put up with something more simplified like Unleashed. But nothing Colors level, please.

Personally, I think we need to see Sonic interact with some more characters before we say we don't want him to act like this anymore. I mean, Colors' story is kind of to blame here. I know you like the more serious Sonic, but would you really want him to not say anything before every cutscene? While I admit I can't really see where you're coming from, wouldn't that just be boring to you? d:

Personally, I think we need to see Sonic interact with some more characters before we say we don't want him to act like this anymore. I mean, Colors' story is kind of to blame here. I know you like the more serious Sonic, but would you really want him to not say anything before every cutscene? While I admit I can't really see where you're coming from, wouldn't that just be boring to you? d:

The thing is, boring is bad too, but I kinda prefer boring over annoying ya know? At least with boring, I'm not flat out doing facepalms so many times. The long drawn out jokes before each boss was just too much for me, at that point, it was just coming off as wasted potential. And BBBE, Baldy McNosehair, Ice Cream guns, really? @_@

But I agree with you, I want Sonic to interact with other characters. I really don't understand the harm of having all of Sonic's friends in the story. That's why reviewers that promoted "GET RID OF ALL OF SONIC'S FRIENDS ARGHHHHHHHHH" really do annoy me to death, because that doesn't do anything for the story, it just makes it more boring. Characters interactions really do make a good plot. That's a reason why I loved alot of the Sonic Adventure 2 plot, interactions between Shadow and Rouge, Knuckles and Rouge, and Shadow and Amy specifically.

EDIT: Oh, and who can forget when Sonic was thought to be dead, how Tails suddenly stepped up to the plate, to avenge his best friend? To me, that beats anything Colors does.

Edited by RidersDX
  • Thumbs Up 3

Its not that he wants Sonic to be mute, its that Sonic seems a bit OOC when compared to something Unleashed, honestly though he didn't really talk much in the Unleashed cutscenes, and that always struck me as weird, I'm not saying make him a motor mouth, but he could've at least spat out at least ONE line before fighting a boss(But then again he did use a few good one liners at the end of the of the Unleashed bosses). I'm pretty sure if Colors took a more serious tone like Unleashed did, Sonic would've gotten just as serious, but there was nothing to take seriously in Colors, the most serious it got was when Eggman showed up for the final fight, and even then Sonic is still joking.

I'm really don't think it's so necessary to polarize on whether Sonic should polarize onto a more lighthearted or darker spirit in all the game's storyline. While, I don't think he should engage in any stories more plot-intensive than SA2, at least not for a while (RPG's aside), Sonic is a mascot character that does deserve some versatility. I'm reminded of how Mickey Mouse can appear in Fantasia and Kingdom Hearts, with more mature, artistic vibes some pretty powerful imagery, as well as simple kid's cartoons with near Tex Avery-ish qualities without any negative impact on his reception. I think it's fair for someone like Sonic to have the same liberty in tone.

But I agree with you, I want Sonic to interact with other characters. I really don't understand the harm of having all of Sonic's friends in the story. That's why reviewers that promoted "GET RID OF ALL OF SONIC'S FRIENDS ARGHHHHHHHHH" really do annoy me to death, because that doesn't do anything for the story, it just makes it more boring. Characters interactions really do make a good plot. That's a reason why I loved alot of the Sonic Adventure 2 plot, interactions between Shadow and Rouge, Knuckles and Rouge, and Shadow and Amy specifically.

Honestly, I've hated all of the characters for a while, but if they're all changed as radically as Sonic and Tails were in this game, I'd be a happy man.

Honestly, I've hated all of the characters for a while, but if they're all changed as radically as Sonic and Tails were in this game, I'd be a happy man.

Now that, I have to disagree with, though I think you probably had already figured out I would.

…Good God, that better NOT happen… Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

…Good God, that better NOT happen…

I don't see how that would be a bad thing if the quality of their portrayal is as spot on and decent as it was in the other games, SA2 specifically.

I don't see how that would be a bad thing if the quality of their portrayal is as spot on and decent as it was in the other games, SA2 specifically.

I think he kinda took that post like he wanted all the other characters to be as goofy as Sonic and Tails was or something, idk.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

I think he kinda took that post like he wanted all the other characters to be as goofy as Sonic and Tails was or something, idk. Really, if you think about it, this light-hearted story can't work for a lot of characters. (A certain black hedgehog is a prime example.)

God no, I don't want them to be as goofy as Sonic and Tails were in this one. That's Sonic and Tails' thing. Other characters would need to suit their own personality, obviously, but that's the thing. I want them to have personalities. That's all.

I know you may disagree with me, but god, if they make the plot LOLSRSBSNS just to put Shadow in, I'd be pissed as all hell. I'd hate Shadow more than I already do, and that would take a lot.

Do we need to bring up the whole "Shadow doesn't have to be in a dark story to fit" theme again, because I will.

I got ya back if you do. That whole Shadow in Colors topic we have is information enough to go back to.

I hope for Amy's case that she can do more than run with "OMG SAWNIK!" as she has been most of the time. They rub it in our faces more than they should, and it's not making here any likable in that area.

The thing is, boring is bad too, but I kinda prefer boring over annoying ya know? At least with boring, I'm not flat out doing facepalms so many times. The long drawn out jokes before each boss was just too much for me, at that point, it was just coming off as wasted potential. And BBBE, Baldy McNosehair, Ice Cream guns, really? @_@

Edited by Ryusuke

Sonic embraces corniness. What can you do? I mean, this is the same guy who said "Now let's show them the real super power of team work!" we're talking about here. And those come to you as a surprise? :lol:

Ya know what, I didn't like Sonic in that game too.

At least, his corniness isn't being overlooked or anything now. I mean Tails gave Sonic a sarcastic remark when he laughed at the whole Baldy Nosehair deal.

The jokes just aren't up your alley. They're practically ancient, and is it really that much of a surprise? Most of the story is written with a grade school audience in mind (bar maybe Eggman). Come to think of it, I actually kind of wonder if the writers will start writing their jokes (I won't for "everyone" than that specific audience like their work on Eggman. I'm not a fan of Sonic's jokes myself, but that's just how the guy is. American portrayal or not...that's the one thing that sticks. The corniness. XD

Yes, it does really come an a surprise. I didn't think they would strive that much away from what Sonic has been in the previous games but they kinda did. I just don't want this to be Sonic's permanent direction really, it really annoys me. <_<

And as for Shadow, I think he would fit in something like Unleashed very well, but I just don't see that happening in something like Colors. Unless it was a very minor role like in Colors DS. Though prove me wrong if ya can.

Maybe it's just because I have a terrible imagination, but I just... can't imagine Shadow being in a lighthearted game like Colors, and honestly, that's the direction I want Sonic to go in. I don't want Sonic to be serious again. Please, Sonic Team, don't do it. ;w;

Edited by Dissident

He might not fit well in something exactly like Colors, but they can certainly ramp it up a bit without turning it into ShtH or '06. It's not a binary choice, remember; not "Colors or '06", but anywhere in between. Something around SA or Unleashed level wouldn't be too bad, would it?

I know there was a topic about Shadow being in Colors, but I can't find it. I really would like to know how Shadow could POSSIBLY have a major role in a game like Colors.

It's another reason why I want Sonic to not stay in this route of corny jokes. It excludes some favorites from the stories basically. Shadow, Blaze, maybe Silver? And eh, idk about Knuckles, but the only way I see him being implemented in a Colors like story is making him more idiotic then he was in Sonic X. That would be simply awful. His portrayal in Colors DS REALLY disappoints me.

I know there was a topic about Shadow being in Colors, but I can't find it. I really would like to know how Shadow could POSSIBLY have a major role in a game like Colors.

It's another reason why I want Sonic to not stay in this route of corny jokes. It excludes some favorites from the stories basically. Shadow, Blaze, maybe Silver? And eh, idk about Knuckles, but the only way I see him being implemented in a Colors like story is making him more idiotic then he was in Sonic X. That would be simply awful. His portrayal in Colors DS REALLY disappoints me.

Is the DS version even canon? I hope not, considering the random character appearances.

Anyway, Colors' plot is very simplistic, and there's nothing wrong with that. I do like somewhat deeper plots, like Adventure, but to be honest the series has been doing the whole deep, serious plot shtick for too long. It's about time we had a break with something simpler and more lighthearted. So I'm completely fine with the story of this game.

Maybe it's just because I have a terrible animation, but I just... can't imagine Shadow being in a lighthearted game like Colors, and honestly, that's the direction I want Sonic to go in. I don't want Sonic to be serious again. Please, Sonic Team, don't do it. ;w;

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic