Awoo.

Sonic Colors's Story: Your Opinion

Dark Qiviut

Oh god here we go again.

Ok seriously other than most of his jokes WHAT is bad about Sonic's character in Colors? Seriously? I don't see it at all. He has more personality than ever in Colors, so what's the problem? Because he isn't giving out some friendship speech or something?

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I thought Sonic was very cocky and arrogant in Colors, the guy likes to hear himself talk!

Besides, I still think it was just the the Madworld writers and Rodger's performance that made up Sonic's character, and not every game is going to have the same script writer and that will make games inconsistent. It should be a known fact by now.

Consistency in Sonic games...please. :P

Edited by DragonSoul

I thought Sonic was very cocky and arrogant in Colors, the guy likes to hear himself talk!

He loves to hear his own lips flap, but I gotta hand it to the speedster. That guy is epic!

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 4

Really a case of the Characters being developed around the plot, instead of the plote being developed around the characters.

The writers did what they could with the characters based on the story.

I imagine the cutscenes were already animated (hence bad lip-syncing) and the story and Japanese Script already written.

All Pontac and Warren had to do was localisation. So they re-wrote the script instead of just translating it and leaving it at that. Unfortunately because the cutscenes were probably already animated, they probably had to ad some filler so Sonic and the rest didn't flap their lips for no reason.

At least, that's what I imagine happened.

I’m a bit late to the party, but I’ll cast my two cents.

Ignoring the gameplay for the moment; to me, this presentation intended to be so simple and formulaic comes off as just “safe” and non-committal.

Like others have said, the bulk of the story telling is treated as an optional accessory than an integral part of the experience. Which begs the question, “Why did you make cut scenes at all?” You can tell what’s going on without them and even if you do watch them, there is no real convincing sense of danger or urgency to be found.

Even if the humor and silliness is supposed carry it through, the creators seem to have gone out of their way to hide it; the jokes themselves are often muffled, dumbed down, go too long, or lose their impact from the voice acting because the director supposedly can’t be bothered to record more than one take.

You may argue, “if you didn’t like ‘em, just skip ‘em” but if the creators them selves don’t respect their own work, then why should I?

We didn’t need the mini-movies to make us feel sorry for the Pikmin, respect for the Colossus, or even fear of the Gatherers. Cinema in gaming should be a medium, not a standard.

Consensus; It’s not the story, it’s the story telling.

Van, you're a wisdom after my own heart. I couldn't have said it better.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Team needs to stop wasting good premises on crappy games.

Sonic has had a very distinct personality for a long time now

I never really got a picture of any particular personality from Sonic, he's seemed pretty bland for a while now.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 3

This is the best thing I have read in a long time.

Reading this finally made me pinpoint what exactly bothered me about Sonic Colors. It wasn't the lightheartedness of the story. It wasn't the silly, ridiculous humor. It was the INCONSISTENCY in SONIC'S CHARACTER. Here so many people are saying how this is how Sonic should be, Sonic's like Spiderman now, the 'new' Sonic is great, so on and so on... WHY!? Sonic is NOT Spiderman, and there should BE no 'new Sonic.' Sonic has had a very distinct personality for a long time now, including Sonic 2006, Unleashed, the Riders series, and ESPECIALLY the Storybook series. He was cocky and confident and had 'attitude,' but he also had some depth to him, and some... well, some PERSONALITY. For as much of a showoff as he was, he had a charm about him, an air of compassion and forgiveness... and when he fought, it was for reasons he believed in passionately (again, SatBK). For a long time now, he's been EPITOMIZING his theme song from Sonic Adventure. In Sonic Colors, he was little more than an arrogant, shallow, generic 'superhero' figure.

I too hope that they fix up Sonic's character for the 20th Anniversary game, whatever that is. So many things about the franchise have changed - voice actors, script writers - and they need to be careful not to lose sight of the characters' personalities with that. It's bad enough when a fanfiction goes out of character... but an official game in the franchise itself?? It doesn't look good, and honestly, it's disappointing to see a character I've loved since childhood suddenly become someone different all together.

And for the record, Sonic is NOT Spiderman. He's Sonic. Nuff said on that.

Terrible (Sonic) characterization aside, I must admit I kind of wish the story itself had a little more substance, a little more of the 'epic' feel I'm used to for a Sonic game. In most instances (the Sonic Adventures and Sonic Unleashed, for example) I feel like the story is trying to compel me to play the game. (Is that not the purpose of a story in a game anyway?) But with Colors, the story was just THERE. It didn't make me want to play the game at all.

Having said that, I understand that not every game should be the same, and I suppose it's nice to have a 'break' from the deep, epic stories now and then. I get that. But I have to politely disagree with the people saying that only gameplay matters. The story matters, too; I think of it like a novel or a movie, except its an interactive story where you control the people in it. Gameplay is most definitely an important factor, but for many, MANY people, so is the story.

This really sums up my thoughts. Sonic barely had any depth in this game. All he had was personality really. Although, I did see some points of depth in him in scenes like the one in Asteroid Coaster when he look disgustingly at the wisps being converted. But I guess the shallow unneeded jokes just really overshadowed the good parts of Sonic for me.

Oh god here we go again.

Ok seriously other than most of his jokes WHAT is bad about Sonic's character in Colors? Seriously? I don't see it at all. He has more personality than ever in Colors, so what's the problem? Because he isn't giving out some friendship speech or something?

Well let's see.

Sonic sees everything as a complete joke and really never treats it like a real adventure, but more like another day of his life. And don't you dare say there was nothing to take seriously about the story, because that just goes directly to my argument that the story was absolute crap and didn't allow Sonic to take anything seriously, except the wisps being converted of course. I love the thrill in Sonic games, and I just didn't get that thrill here. I was more bored then thrilled with the story.

Also, Sonic was cocky, but he also was a compassionate guy that everyone couldn't help but love. And I felt his personality was just perfect in Black Knight and Unleashed. He's cocky and fun, but also compassionate and a true hero that's kind with alot of depth. I don't know, Sonic just seems like a completely different person in Colors, due to both his personality and the story overall. I absolutely fell in love with Sonic in Unleashed and Black Knight, how he was always willing to help (When Chip said he would handle the situation by himself), and how he never gave up (ending of Black Knight when he was nearly defeated), and when he never killed his enemis (saving Blaze in Black Knight after her defeat). I guess there was just nothing in the story of Colors that actually allowed Sonic to be what I love about him. Really, the whole adventure felt so easy and boring, felt like the story should've been for a spin-off or something.

I blame my dislike for Sonic mainly on the story, because the Sonic I love probably would've been boring in this story, as there was barely anything about the story that could show that, with the exception of seeing the wisps being converted. So they needed a more cocky arrogant crappy comedian Sonic to fit the story.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is going to be stupid for me to say but I honestly did not expect much of a plot in Colors. I mean I love this game and enjoyed it so far but wasn't expecting it to be or try to be serious until near the end of the game.

I don't know if there's a lot to expect how good a plot is in a game called Sonic Colors. But as I mentioned in the past, I guess I'm easy to please... :unsure:

Yeah, I've read from several interviews that the plot in Colors is more lighthearted and it's not very story heavy like in other Sonic games before it.

Yeah, I know a more light-hearted plot was to be expected, but I wasn't expecting Sonic to become a lame comedian.

Edited by RidersDX
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just becuase he said a couple of jokes? Everybody in the game is a comedian then cause the whole game is filled with them.

Just becuase he said a couple of jokes? Everybody in the game is a comedian then cause the whole game is filled with them.

A couple? Haha, the game was filled with them, but Sonic's were probably the most obnoxious.

BBBE, Ice Cream guns, slapping his ass, stretchin', copyright, it's not really a couple. It takes up 99% of the game. Even when the situation is supposed to be tense, they fit in a joke. Thankfully, Tails called him out on that one at the end, which made it a little better? Eh.

• Thumbs Up 1

A couple? Haha, the game was filled with them, but Sonic's were probably the most obnoxious.

BBBE, Ice Cream guns, slapping his ass, stretchin', copyright, it's not really a couple. It takes up 99% of the game. Even when the situation is supposed to be tense, they fit in a joke. Thankfully, Tails called him out on that one at the end, which made it a little better? Eh.

So what? It's not anything to make such a big deal about. It's not like Sonic didn't make any jokes or slapped his ass before. The only ones that I don't really like is the clobbering scene before the boss fight and that line where he mention how gassy Eggman is. But I don't mind the rest.

Edited by sonfan1984

So what? It's not anything to make such a big deal about. It's not like Sonic didn't make any jokes or slapped his ass before. The only ones that I don't really like is the clobbering scene before the boss fight and than line where he mention how gassy Eggman is. But I don't mind the rest.

So what? That's all you have to say? These jokes are placed at every freaking point they can be placed. That is not how you make a light-hearted story, by adding jokes left and right. In my opinion, that's how you make an obnoxious story. I really wasn't laughing at any of Sonic and Tails' jokes, the only jokes that were actually funny were Eggman's. You might not mind it, but I do. A good story should have balance and not be too one-sided.

• Thumbs Up 1

So what? That's all you have to say? These jokes are placed at every freaking point they can be placed. That is not how you make a light-hearted story, by adding jokes left and right. In my opinion, that's how you make an obnoxious story. I really wasn't laughing at any of Sonic and Tails' jokes, the only jokes that were actually funny were Eggman's. You might not mind it, but I do. A good story should have balance and not be too one-sided.

Well what do you want me to say? I'm not going into a huge rant about something so harmless over some silly jokes. You seem to be way too uptight about that kind of stuff but I'm not. I wasn't laughing at Sonic and Tails jokes either but at the same time I still don't mind the story or Sonic's character.

Edited by sonfan1984

I don't know if there's a lot to expect how good a plot is in a game called Sonic Colors.

I don't see what the game's name have to do with this. Sonic Colors's story could have been better with just little modifications, while keeping the Wisps and such.

These jokes are placed at every freaking point they can be placed. That is not how you make a light-hearted story, by adding jokes left and right. In my opinion, that's how you make an obnoxious story.

I have to agree. I feel the writers were trying too hard with the jokes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well what do you want me to say? I'm not going into a huge rant about something so harmless over some silly jokes. You seem to be way too uptight about that kind of stuff but I'm not. I wasn't laughing at Sonic and Tails jokes either but at the same time I still don't mind the story or Sonic's character.

It's not called being uptight, it's called having an opinion. And my opinion is that is not the best personality Sonic has ever gotten. And that is probably one of the worst stories in a 3D Sonic game. You can't make a story out of just humor, and then have the humor overshadow all other characteristics of the story. God, that final moment against Eggman was just plain ruined when Eggman was all "You ruin my speeches as well!" Ugh, just ugh. There are places for jokes, and there are places not for jokes, that's really the bottom line in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't see what the game's name have to do with this. Sonic Colors's story could have been better with just little modifications, while keeping the Wisps and such.

That Colors as a title doesn't scream epic or depth.

That Colors as a title doesn't scream epic or depth.

I don't think Sonic the Hedgehog 06 really did either.

It's not called being uptight, it's called having an opinion. And my opinion is that is not the best personality Sonic has ever gotten. And that is probably one of the worst stories in a 3D Sonic game. You can't make a story out of just humor, and then have the humor overshadow all other characteristics of the story. God, that final moment against Eggman was just plain ruined when Eggman was all "You ruin my speeches as well!" Ugh, just ugh. There are places for jokes, and there are places not for jokes, that's really the bottom line in my opinion.

You're still taking this way too seriously.

You can have your opinion but I still disagree with everything you've said. Sonic Colors doesn't really have much of a story and I like Sonic's personality in this a whole lot better then the 3D games that came out before it. All they have to do is tone down most of the jokes and the humor.

Edited by sonfan1984

I don't think Sonic the Hedgehog 06 really did either.

Cute.

Using 06' as an example for a title that arguably had more depth than it's story.

Also, need I mention again that Color's script was written by American writers, though you may take that as a excuse or not because it does explain the possible flanderization of the characters.

Cute.

Using 06' as an example for a title that arguably had more depth than it's story.

Also, need I mention again that Color's script was written by American writers, though you may take that as a excuse or not because it does explain the possible flanderization of the characters.

Hell no, you cannot deny that Sonic the Hedgehog 06 storywise probably had the most depth out of any Sonic game. It may have made the story bad due to it being too one-sided (just like Colors...), but it did have large amounts of depth. And the name itself is so plain and simple, you could actually mistake the game for a story as simple as the other game with the same name.

I really don't care if the script was by Americans. Americans have the writing ability to write something more balanced, I know I could.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hell no, you cannot deny that Sonic the Hedgehog 06 storywise probably had the most depth out of any Sonic game. It may have made the story bad due to it being too one-sided (just like Colors...), but it did have large amounts of depth. And the name itself is so plain and simple, you could actually mistake the game for a story as simple as the other game with the same name.

I really don't care if the script was by Americans. Americans have the writing ability to write something more balanced, I know I could.

I find it amusing that your taking this so seriously.

I'm such a little devil aren't I? :P