Awoo.

Sonic Colors's Story: Your Opinion

Dark Qiviut

I find it amusing that your taking this so seriously.

I'm such a little devil aren't I? :P

To be honest, Sonic 06 receives so much hate, I'm seriously not surprised if people go to literal lies to bash it, even though the game doesn't need any to be considered bashable.

Edited by RidersDX

To be honest, Sonic 06 receives so much hate, I'm seriously not surprised if people go to literal lies to bash it, even though the game doesn't need any to be considered bashable.

Whatever.

I'm not the type to get into debates or arguements, and I apologize for being or coming off as a jackass.

I somewhat liked the jokes and you did not. End of story.

That doesn't mean it couldn't have had a nice, enjoyable little story.

Which Colors's was to me IMO but I understand why some people don't.

Like Afro said, its not the story, its the story telling.

If the cutscenes were more structured and not crammed with jokes, then there would be no complaints. I got the feeling that Sega felt no one gave a damn about the story telling of a Sonic game, and just said "Screw it".

Hell this article clearly states that they weren't trying with the story this time, and judging by it, they plan on keeping it that way.

Sorry RiderDX, it seems this is what Sega feels they need to do, so......you might just wanna lower your expectations for future stories, or you're just going to be disappointed every time.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Sonic has had a very distinct personality for a long time now, including Sonic 2006, Unleashed, the Riders series, and ESPECIALLY the Storybook series.

He was cocky and confident and had 'attitude,' but he also had some depth to him, and some... well, some PERSONALITY.

Pfft. No.

• Thumbs Up 3

Pfft. No.

I'm gonna have to agree, but only on Black Knight's behalf.

There was no other game(Especially 06) where I felt Sonic was being...well Sonic.

I'd say before Colors, Sa2 was the best it got.

Pfft. No.

I'm gonna have to second it with the Black Knight, and even Unleashed.

Everything else he said tho, no. I'd agree with you there.

You know what, it seems the problem with this game's script was the fact that most of the time Sonic had nobody to talk to, so was talking to himself like a retard.

Secondly, I think the writers wrote the script, not the story or cutscenes. The cutscenes were too long, so they wrote something funny, then had 2 or 3 more minutes of silence to fill up.

Kinda agree, but I like how they lampshaded it after the Wisp bossfight.

For anybody who hates Sonic Colors's story. Please don't forget that we've seen worse

Worst_Elise3--article_image.jpg

I love Sonic Colors' story, but even if I didn't, this is still a shit argument. I prefer apples to oranges, but I'm not going to settle for oranges just because prunes exist.

Edited by SuperStingray

Like Afro said, its not the story, its the story telling.

If the cutscenes were more structured and not crammed with jokes, then there would be no complaints. I got the feeling that Sega felt no one gave a damn about the story telling of a Sonic game, and just said "Screw it".

Hell this article clearly states that they weren't trying with the story this time, and judging by it, they plan on keeping it that way.

Sorry RiderDX, it seems this is what Sega feels they need to do, so......you might just wanna lower your expectations for future stories, or you're just going to be disappointed every time.

I gotta agree, my biggest gripe is no doubt the jokes and how they basically take over the entire story. I believe it is possible to have a good light hearted story, just look at the Paper Mario series! Paper Mario isn't bombarded with jokes, but the humor in it is more subtle and more enjoyable to read. The personalities of all the characters is what made the humor in those games. They didn't need any corny jokes to be funny, all they had to do was be themselves. That's my favorite kind of light-hearted stories, not the Colors kind.

Eh, this is what fans have been crying for though right? I guess I should've been a louder fan back then with my opinion on stories.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna have to agree, but only on Black Knight's behalf.

There was no other game(Especially 06) where I felt Sonic was being...well Sonic.

I'd say before Colors, Sa2 was the best it got.

But Sonic was characterized quite a bit differently in SA2 than he was in Colors. :/

And who said anything about Sonic 06? I--oh. Right. My bad. Fix'd.

Colors Sonic still isn't my favorite interpretation but it's growing on me somewhat, I suppose. As far as Iizuka implying that the games would be more lighthearted like this for a while... honestly, SEGA/Sonic Team have said they're 'bringing Sonic back to his roots' so many times that I can't put much stock into those words anymore, even if I wanted to. I guess if things turn out that way, things turn out that way... but it's the Sonic franchise. Things are probably always going to keep changing.

Edited by DC111

• 9 years later...

I know this is 8 years old, but I’m bored and we’re in a Sonic drought so I have nothing more to do.

You want my opinion of it?  Gladly.  (Clears throat) It is the 2nd worst thing I have ever experienced in my whole entire life.  Never before have I hated Sonic so much as a character, this game flanderized him in every way it could’ve (though I do like that he is more serious in Lost World).  You know what was my favorite moment in this series?

You know what my least favorite was?

Oh!  My!  God!  SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!

One more thing.  To anything saying Unleashed was just as kiddy as Colors...  1st of all, never say that again.  As someone who loathes Colors story, that offends me.  2nd of all, Eggman breaks the planet apart unleashing an evil deity with the power to destroy the planet.  Not to mention that said deity has a transformation that’s quite.  Well...

Oh yeah, that’s definitely something kids want to see, isn’t it?

I don’t find it as universally problematic as some people (and I’ll note that most of them seem to dislike the game mostly in retrospect), but that big problem I think it does have, is possibly the worst problem a Sonic game can have: Sonic himself is annoying.  He’s too giddy and gabby; seemingly oblivious to how nobody at all is laughing at his extended metaphor about beat downs, or indeed, nobody is there who can laugh.  And yet those robots sent to stop him just stand still while Sonic mouths off.  It’s a humor dynamic that just doesn’t work.

Having gotten that out of the way, Eggman is genuinely funny in the game.  His PA broadcasts are a welcome load of dark humor; something the fandom was likely primed to laugh hard at after being hit with several backfiring dead-serious dark Sonic games.

The scenario itself is...okay, I guess.  Wisps are arguably a creative take on the trapped animals recurrent throughout the series, and an evil amusement park was a fun setting.  If there’s a problem, it’s likely in how it doesn’t seem to connect to the series’  other lore much.

I don't particularly find loudmouth boss-mocking Sonic funny but I'm not really the target audience for it, and there were plenty of lines that DID make me laugh anyway.  Not a big deal.

My main issue with Colours' story was just how all of the few bits of intrigue have such unsatisfying pay-offs:

Eggman's mind-control cannon is destroyed as early as the first zone due to sheer luck of a piece of the first boss getting wedged into it, robbing the player of a bunch of agency in stopping Eggman's scheme.

The dramatic tension of Tails being forced to attack Sonic is fizzled out within half a minute, and while this could've been fine if it was a setup for a do-over later on in the story... it isn't.  It kinda doesn't help that Tails attacks him so meekly as well, there's no way he was ever an actual threat to Sonic other than Sonic being emotionally upset by his friend losing his will for a half minute.

Yakker being noted to have disappeared towards the end never has any dramatic pay-off either.  He just went to take a leak I guess.

Just feels like a lot of missed potential, but is likely just a casualty of the writers wanting to do something interesting but not being able to because they were writing around the 6 zone, 6 acts, 6 bosses structure the game designers had set up and couldn't really have any of the cut-scene stuff affect the gameplay scenario in any way whatsoever.  That ties their hands completely with a bunch of stuff, like the Tails mind-control thing (no chance of turning it into a boss battle or gameplay challenge where Sonic has to avoid Tails without resorting to fighting him etc).

Perhaps they even had something cooler in mind for how Sonic takes down the superweapon, but when other members of the team who had to realise it were like "yeah we haven't got the budget to make a unique environment for that, even if it all happens in a cut-scene", they had to think outside the box as to how to setup the finale without requiring any new scenery to be constructed for cut-scenes, hence the stray robot arm after the first boss.

I really wish grown adults would stop getting offended at media that isn't aimed for them, but alas.

No I don't really care for the story nowadays, but I also recognize that its harmless and that I am ultimately not the target demographic and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

My opinion on the game hasn’t changed—I still find it decent, if flawed. The same can’t be said for the games that came after it that grew more faulty as they went on.

EDIT—damn, my old review still stands strong even ten years later. :lol: 

34 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I really wish grown adults would stop getting offended at media that isn't aimed for them, but alas.

age doesn't change anything Kuzu, it never has and it never will. if the story is bad and unfitting and full of exposition, the story is bad and unfitting and full of exposition. and come on, they had to EXPLAIN their own joke, it treats the target demographic like their small sensitive babies who've just learned how to crawl... it really thinks that the target demographic are THAT stupid, that they can't feel any other thoughts than "hahahaha hedgehog go baldy nosehair". I would be fine with the jokes, if the jokes were at least good like you know who. but alas they all suck the biggest balls in the world. at least forces isn't this bad, and I'm not afraid to say that it at least had some pretty nice lines.

5 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

1) In 2010 came out Adventure Time, Regular Show, Sym-Bionic Titan, Friendship is Magic, Young Justice and Avengers Earth Mightiest Heroes.
Argument "it's just for kids" isn't valid anymore, it's not 80s.

2) It's not even the problem that franchise isn't how it used to be in 1998-2009 period It's just that most of writing is bad. I can swallow that this is kid game and Eggman is aimed as joke villain, fine. It's not what I want, but it's a strategy (that Boom did better). But Sonic and Tails are mostly annoying to listen. A lot of jokes are cringy. And plot, despite being very simple, is still a mess. Mind Control is main treat and yet plays no part in the story.

Just because kids will eat anything we feed them doesn't mean we should feed them anything. Nintendo doesn't do this.

3) Even if we assume that adults don't watch cartoons, there is no reason they can't play and enjoy cartoony games (again, Nintendo). So is it so hard to image adults play Sonic Colors and make some opinions about the story?

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, iambitter21 said:

age doesn't change anything Kuzu, it never has and it never will. if the story is bad and unfitting and full of exposition, the story is bad and unfitting and full of exposition. and come on, they had to EXPLAIN their own joke, it treats the target demographic like their small sensitive babies who've just learned how to crawl... it really thinks that the target demographic are THAT stupid, that they can't feel any other thoughts than "hahahaha hedgehog go baldy nosehair". I would be fine with the jokes, if the jokes were at least good like you know who. but alas they all suck the biggest balls in the world. at least forces isn't this bad, and I'm not afraid to say that it at least had some pretty nice lines.

And my response is still "so fucking what?" Why does this game, aimed at children, offend you, someone I am assuming is a grown adult? You're so focused on picking things apart and on the things that you don't like, you're kind of forgetting that Sonic is still a franchise primarily enjoyed by children. This isn't even going into the irony of trying to say the media we consumed as children was somehow of better quality, when I'm pretty sure many older fans at the time also felt like how you do right now. 

No Sonic Colors is not the most well written story in the world, but neither are any of the supposedly "mature" games that we like to laud as the pinnacle of storytelling, because those games had their fair share of issues either. So yea, I'm kind of tired of people treating this game as some aberration for what's ultimately a harmless story.  

5 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

1) In 2010 came out Adventure Time, Regular Show, Sym-Bionic Titan, Friendship is Magic, Young Justice and Avengers Earth Mightiest Heroes.

None of which are Sonic.

2) It's not even the problem that franchise isn't how it used to be in 1998-2009 period It's just that most of writing is bad. I can swallow that this is kid game and Eggman is aimed as joke villain, fine. It's not what I want, but it's a strategy (that Boom did better). But Sonic and Tails are mostly annoying to listen. A lot of jokes are cringy. And plot, despite being very simple, is still a mess. Mind Control is main treat and yet plays no part in the story.

Just because kids will eat anything we feed them doesn't mean we should feed them anything. Nintendo doesn't do this.

I admitted that the game wasn't well written, but at the end of the day, it's harmless dude. I get it sucks if you're someone who is more invested in the world-building and lore of the series, but as I said, even the "mature" games that people praise aren't as well written either.

I dunno; this was shit I used to care more about when I was younger, but I'm older now and my priorities have changed. 

3) Even if we assume that adults don't watch cartoons, there is no reason they can't play and enjoy cartoony games (again, Nintendo). So is it so hard to image adults play Sonic Colors and make some opinions about the story?

I didn't say having opinions was bad dude, but being a grown adult and getting so offended at a children's game for not being some well written piece of media never sat right with me. 

56 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Yeah, it's true that we live in a time when, unless something is specifically aimed solely at very young children (I'm talking things like Dora the Explorer), we can nowadays generally expect just about any childrens media to also aim at entertaining adults. The days of the 1980's when something like He-man or Ninja Turtles, which were genuinly written on an 8-year old's level, were the standard are long gone. Even something seemingly idiotic like Teen Titans Go actually contain tons and tons of jokes that are solely aimed at adults watching since no children would get the references.

But even so, one could ask the question; does children's media have to aim an being entertaining to adults? Just because most childrens media do aim at entertaining adults as well, is this the same as saying that they are required to? If something choses to go the way of He-man or Ninja Turtles and leave out adult audiences completely, is that somehow wrong? After all, many of the most popular childrens media of previous decades, such as for instance the two aforementioned shows, were some of the biggest hits among child audinces that the world has ever seen, so it's objectively true that something can entertaining for children despite not being the slightest entertaining for adults.

My Little Pony wasn't aimed at adults. Army of popculture references and stuff became the norm AFTER show became popular with adults.

And  if it did, where is the line? Phineas and Ferb, Ben 10, Samurai Jack, Invader Zim, Gargoyles. Are those "good cartoons that aim at adults too" or just "good cartoons"? Transformers from 80s is technically speaking trash,but I genuinely really like 80s movie (and I didn't grew up with Transformers, I seen the movie 1-2 years ago). I don't think it was aimed at adults at all. And yet I like it.

To boil down all your responses, Kuzu : technically you agree wit us, but why give a damn for something so unimportant?

1) Because there are things I enjoy aimed at kids and Sonic games are/should be this too

2) Because demanding quality is just logical thing to do. I like Sonic, is it weird that I want him to be good?

I suppose I should use that brain power for more noble cause,  global warming or poverty.But I made 1,000+ comments and you 17,000 on this forum, so what's your excuse, Kuzu?

I enjoy a lot of media aimed at kids too and I too have a standard of quality I wish for it to maintain, but the difference is that I'm not going to lose sleep over it if things aren't up to snuff, because at the end of the day, it's not a life or death situation for me. As I said, I'm older now and I have much bigger priorities in my life (like keeping a roof over my head...) to be worrying so much about the writing quality of stories about Sonic the Hedgehog. I have "no excuse", my priorities just changed. I pretty much have a "come what, come may: attitude with this series now because I'm past the pointing of wishing for things to be how they were when I was a child. Do I wish for things to improve? Absolutely. Am I going to lose my mind and post angry rants on Twitter, Reddit, and the like if they don't? No. 

I don't mind constructive criticism, but more often than not, criticism towards this game isn't really constructive at all. Calling Sonic Colors "the worse piece of media you have ever consumed" tells me either: 1) You haven't consumed much media at all or 2) You're exaggerating for the sake of making a point. Which isn't bad by itself, but I feel this bandwagon of "Sonic Colors is the worst of all time and single handily ruined the series" is the same rhetoric we rightfully mocked older Classic fans for when they said it about the era of games from 1998-2009, and now we're doing the same exact thing, and the irony is not lost on me at all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

“It’s for kids” loses water mainly because adults want to enjoy these things with the kids. Kids can still play Sonic, but adult fans get upset because they want to enjoy playing Sonic too.

It can still be aimed at children while being enjoyable for adults to watch. My Little Pony:FIM is aimed at girls, but made in a way boys and adults can still watch and enjoy without finding it grating as fuck.

Multiple demographic appeal is much better and healthier for a franchise when it comes to an audience than one that caters strictly to a narrow one at the cost of annoying others who lay eyes on it.

Not saying that adults don’t go to far with things—oftentimes adults tend to be far more zealous and immature about the quality of things than even 5 year olds who really just want to enjoy what they have, adult tastes be damned. But with that said, it’s not like they’re not fans who want to enjoy something they’ve been apart of, especially when that something is going 30 years strong.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's a line I feel. More often than not, older adult fans aren't really articulate with their criticism, whether its due to immaturity (ironic huh) or what have you. More often than not, when people complain about shit like this as feverishly as most people have been, it basically translates to "make the same thing I enjoyed as a kid, but new".

But I digress, we're getting off topic. Honestly the biggest flaw of this game's plot is its lack of payoff to any of the plot points it sets up; you get shit like Tails being controlled, Yacker going missing, and Eggman's planetary ray and all them are resolved quickly before anything is done with them. 

I don't know if its intentional or not, but there's a severe lack of interest in exploring these plot points at all.

I think the plot was a breath of fresh air in this franchise where it was simple and I actually like the characterisation where Tails does get to be snarky and things like that. Unleashed was simple as well but most of the characters bar Sonic a bit and Pickle aren't that interesting (the friendship angle didn't really bring much either) and the plot has the same "go do the thing 6 times" set up Colours has. It's more fun and was a decent change of pace despite how crap most of the jokes were. The crap jokes, however, really hurt it. Worse still, however, was that Colours became the template for plots rather than being a breather. They did the same thing with the wisps and Classic Sonic stuff mind you. "They liked it at the time in Colours, let's rehash it to death".

Then again, caring significantly about the lore in a Sonic game is a fucking mistake because the creators clearly haven't cared for years, so why should we? They never build on anything, just create more random lore that only affects itself and doesn't really world build effectively just like Pokemon does.