Awoo.

ARTWORK (Mark) - LATEST: I'm not done with you yet~

-Mark-

EnGardeJean-Francois.png

deviantART link

Well, this was my first picture drawn in Colours! 3D for the 3DS. As such, there are unfortunately a few limitations to it and the image doesn't look too great at full size, but eh.

Basically, if you spend more than six hours on a drawing, 854x512 is the highest resolution you can get your finished picture at, and you lose the ability to undo anything. Since I spent about 12-15 hours on this (estimate), yeah. I know the robot in particular looks a little rough around the edges, that's because I accidentally merged it with the 'pencil' layer underneath after the point I couldn't use undo anymore. >.< And of course the lines don't look smooth due to the low resolution. It really looks much better on a 3DS/ in 3D.

It's also my first time drawing anything entirely digitally, so I had to get the hang of it and learn the software as I went along, really.

Anyway! This is one of my favourite scenes from Rhythm Thief, so I just had to draw it. Admittedly if you look for them there are plenty of mistakes and missing details, especially in the background, because there weren't really many screenshots to use for reference. Most of it was done from filming and photographing my 3DS during gameplay to get my own reference shots. In some cases I noticed missing details so far along that it wasn't practical to correct them, so I just decided to leave them (or in some cases had not other choice) .

If you want to see a video playback of the first six hours of drawing, go here;

Colours! Gallery

And for those of you with a 3DS who want to see the image in 3D, go here;

3D Version

• 7 months later...

RapidGenerations-Small.png

deviantART link

Maaan, this picture has got to be the longest I've worked on something on and off; not that it's a particularly amazing or detailed piece, but that I kept getting sidetracked by other stuff. I actually started this back in May before deciding on the recent (ish) Gizmo comic, which then took priority for a few months. 

Anyway, this year was Rapid's 10th anniversary, so I thought I should finally get around to finishing it! I was going to do some sort of a background, buuuuuut.... ehhh. Laziness won over. >_>

So yeah, I drew both the original and current Rapid designs (actually going as far to reference the very first picture of Rapid I ever drew). 

It's funny/ weird how much Rapid has changed over the years. XD

For reference, here's the very first Rapid picture I ever drew, back when I was 15. D:

Rapidgizmo.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later...

Wow, a year later, I drew a thing. :0

oshawott_with_apple_by_rapid_the_hedgeho

deviantART link

AKA ‘My First Photoshop’. After years of being stuck in “Aaaah Photoshop is scary and complicated and intimidating I want to stick with what I know” and making do with crappy half-measure alternatives in Paint Shop Pro 4 (!!), I finally got off my arse and asked my brother to show me some basic Photoshop stuff.

Mark grew to Lv. 27! Mark learned Pen Tool! Mark learned Clipping Mask!

So yeah, whilst I still drew the basic rough version by hand in pencil, I inked and coloured it in Photoshop. It might be a bit rough in places, I’m still getting the hang of these things. >_>;

No background because lazy/ couldn’t think of one. Mostly lazy. XD Anyway, yay Oshawott. :D

Also, didn't bother putting a date on it since I've been working in it on and off for a couple of weeks, so it seems silly to randomly slap today's date on it just because I finished it today. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Chespin2shadedSMALL_zpsd24d06ae.png

deviantART link

Wanted to try drawing Chespin as well. :D This is actually a second attempt, after a botched first try that didn't make it past the pencil stage due to being bleh. 

Again, sketched in traditional pencil-on-paper then inked and coloured in Photoshop. I'm still getting the hang of doing everything digitally there, but I think I'm getting used to it. 
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks! :) I've only just started doing (almost) everything in Photoshop- so I'm still getting the hang of outlining everything and figuring out the best way to go about doing things.

I've barely drawn anything these last few years (until recently), I've made it my New Years' Resolution to draw more this year. :)

• 4 weeks later...

keldeo_and_oshawott_by_rapid_the_hedgeho

deviantART link

Whew, finally finished with this. D: Been working on it on and off for a week or so.

So yeah, since Osahwott is my favourite Pokémon and Keldeo is my boyfriend’s favourite, I came up with the idea for this picture a little while ago. smile.png

I’ve never tried drawing anything remotely equine before, so I did find Keldeo a bit tricky in places. His face and hair were quite tricky to get right, as were his legs, the hind ones in particular. Ironically I had the most trouble with Oshawott’s eyes- no matter how I tried for a long time they ended up looking derped and wrong. XD Finally managed to get it looking right, though. 

The blade for the scalchop ended up looking a little plain, but on a white background the translucent factor doesn’t come through very well, and of course there’s nothing behind it to affect its potential shades of blue very much.

This whole picture was a much longer process than it might seem - I’ll post some of the rough WIP pictures later, mostly the rough pencil sketches. smile.png

Pencils for both Keldeo and Oshawott. The Keldeo one looks quite different (worse tongue.png) than the final version, whereas the Oshawott is much neater and closer to the final, even as a pencil sketch.

IMG_2727_zpsbb1aaca2.jpg

MijuPencil_zpsfdc6e19a.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

the_lovers_spat_by_rapid_the_hedgehog-d7

deviantART link

‘The Lover’s Spat’

Or, ‘How Mark doesn’t plan ahead/ GODDAMN DRAGON WING OVERLAP’ 

Because DragonitexCharizard are totally OTP. 

God damn, this was a bit of a tricky one. I totally didn’t think ahead when drawing this. Having drawn both Charizard and Dragonite separately and then put them together (d’awwww *shot*) afterwards, the issue of their wings/ tails overlapping was a bit of a pain. It was mostly Dragonite that needed modifying, since I anticipated the problem by the time I’d got on to Charizard, so tried to ‘draw him around’ Dragonite, so to speak. 

If you look for them there are still a few little niggles here and there (mostly regarding the edits I needed to make to Dragonite), but I’m happy enough with it that I don’t really want to spend an extra god knows how long on making everything perfect. 

Cuter version here

I couldn’t decide which one to make the ‘main’ version, but decided to go with the simpler (and slightly less-shipping tongue.png) version. 

The Japanese text in the one linked above says:

(Dragonite): “Hmph”

(Charizard): “Ba-bakairyuu…”

...the latter being a completely untranslatable play on the Japanese words for ‘idiot’ (baka) and Dragonite’s Japanese name (Kairyuu). tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 2

the_lovers_spat_by_rapid_the_hedgehog-d7

deviantART link

‘The Lover’s Spat’

Or, ‘How Mark doesn’t plan ahead/ GODDAMN DRAGON WING OVERLAP’ 

Because DragonitexCharizard are totally OTP. 

God damn, this was a bit of a tricky one. I totally didn’t think ahead when drawing this. Having drawn both Charizard and Dragonite separately and then put them together (d’awwww *shot*) afterwards, the issue of their wings/ tails overlapping was a bit of a pain. It was mostly Dragonite that needed modifying, since I anticipated the problem by the time I’d got on to Charizard, so tried to ‘draw him around’ Dragonite, so to speak. 

If you look for them there are still a few little niggles here and there (mostly regarding the edits I needed to make to Dragonite), but I’m happy enough with it that I don’t really want to spend an extra god knows how long on making everything perfect. 

Cuter version here

I couldn’t decide which one to make the ‘main’ version, but decided to go with the simpler (and slightly less-shipping tongue.png) version. 

The Japanese text in the one linked above says:

(Dragonite): “Hmph”

(Charizard): “Ba-bakairyuu…”

...the latter being a completely untranslatable play on the Japanese words for ‘idiot’ (baka) and Dragonite’s Japanese name (Kairyuu). tongue.png

Wow, I'm impressed with the way you draw Pokemon. Nice work. =)

Like your dragons man. Love to see more of that. I've added you to my dA watch list. Have you other art accounts elsewhere?

I have an account on FA, but it's got much less in it, just reposts of the stuff on my dA, really. 

• 5 weeks later...

close_combat_by_rapid_the_hedgehog-d7eom

deviantART link

Started this about a week and a half ago, but only made any real progress on it in the last 2-3 days. Mostly because that’s when I decided I wasn’t happy with how the picture was progressing and did a major reworking of the pose, almost from scratch.

His left arm was probably the most awkward part to decide on. I made the outline of his right hand thicker to better convey that it’s meant to be quite a lot closer. 
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

tai_kamiya__yagami_taichi__by_rapid_the_

deviantART link

Or, ‘OH MY GOD MARK CAN ACTUALLY DRAW HUMANS’ (I think).

Decided to use his dub name as the main title since I figured more people would be familiar with that one, even if I'm personally more used to his Japanese name.

*ahem*

So, about a week ago I decided to start practicing how to draw Tai(chi) for a picture I wanted to do. This actually started out as the very first practice sketch I did (I’ve literally never drawn him before and this was the first attempt - with references, of course), but it turned out nice enough that I felt it’d be a shame to just leave it as a practice piece.

That’s probably a large part of why the pose is so random. Is he being pushed out of the way of something? Tripping over? Or is he just randomly floating? Who knows? tongue.png I did think about reworking the pose, but decided against it.

One funny thing I never noticed until now is that he basically has Adidas shoes. laugh.png

Think I'll actually put up some of the rough/ WIP versions of this later. :)
  • Thumbs Up 1

Right, work-in-progress pictures! smile.png

#1 - Original rough sketch

025_zps86dd8b6e.jpg

#2 - Tidied up pencil version 

Taichi_zps23164440.jpg

#3 - Inked version 

TaichiLineartcopy_zps435069e8.png

#4 - Flat colours 

TaichiFlatColour_zpsb6b2f07f.png

#5 - Shading guide 

IMG_3683_zps5675c732.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

hammer_arm_by_rapid_the_hedgehog-d7mgtms

deviantART link

Work-in-progress GIF

Well, this was an interesting one. I’d had the idea in my head for a while and did a very rough draft around a week ago. Yesterday I decided to dust it off and try to tidy it up, and it just seemed like one of those pieces that just sort of worked. I’d never drawn Chesnaught before, but I didn’t really run into any real difficulties in terms of the lineart. His design is actually pretty simple, he was definitely easier to draw than I had expected him to be. His shell did make it a little tricky, given that the way it restricts his arm movement, the pose he’s doing would be quite awkward, but I think I just about managed to make it work.

The lighting was interesting on this one, and that’s part of why I went with a background, as well. I really wanted to have the light source coming from behind, to sort of convey a “He’s gonna smash you from above” kine of vibe, but at the same time I didn’t want too much of his body to be in shadow. In the end, I felt adding the background helped contrast nicely with the amount of shadow on Chesnaught’s body, and better convey the action and mood I was going for.

I was actually going to originally have grass surrounding the viewpoint, but then I realised that would imply that the viewer was shorter than a blade of grass. tongue.png It also didn’t look as good as I was expecting it to and kind of drew attention away from Chesnaught, so I decided to just go with the sky background.
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

naptime_by_rapid_the_hedgehog-d7osmjz.pn

deviantART link

Having skipped/ missed the entirety of the Diamond and Pearl anime during its initial run, I’ve recently dipped into it via Pokémon TV. And of course, one of the first/ best things to catch my attention is this little guy. biggrin.png He’s not quite Oshawott, but he’s not far off in terms of sheer d’aaaaaaaw. tongue.png

So yeah, started a few random, rough sketches and this one turned out as the nicest (ironically, similarly to my recent Chesnaught picture, it was also the first one).

I still want to draw one of the others though, since his eyes are shut and he’s mostly facing away from the camera, so I’ll probably tidy up and finish another of the rough sketches in the not too distant future.

Rough lazy background because I didn’t really want to do one but plain white looks so dull after my Chesnaught picture. Just wanted something simple that complemented the image and stopped it from being a plain white background.
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 8 months later...

pokemon_art_academy____my_favourite_poke

deviantART link

My entry for the current Pokémon Art Academy contest. The category is 'My Favourite Pokémon'... the problem was that there was no way I could settle on just one of these guys. :P

I decided on the pose almost right away. I'd actually considered putting Goomy in the picture as well (sitting on Dragonite's head), but I decided that it'd make the picture a little too cramped and that it'd lessen the composition of the piece (sorry Goomy). Not to mention obscure part of Dragonite a fair bit.

The lighting was a bit of a tricky one, in that it was something of a lose-lose situation. With the Pokémon facing in different directions, I didn't really want any of them to have their face in shadow (since it rarely looks good). Meaning I had to try and make a weird compromise on the lighting without it looking too weirdly impossible.

As the title suggests (and the contest requires), drawn in Pokémon Art Academy on the 3DS, hence some slightly wonky lines in places, as well as the stock background. Yes, it's the same stock background I used for my last picture. >_> But it was the one that fit best with the image and I generally liked this one best. 
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

tumblr_nqnprbJ0GP1r05v2zo1_1280.jpg

deviantART link

FurAffinity link

Welp Mark is drawing gay dragons again

Seriously though these two are so goddamned OTP X3 (Dragonite loves it really, not that he'd ever admit it)

Drawn on my 3DS in Colors! 3D. As such, the outlines do look a little rough around the edges (annoyingly they looked fine on the 3DS, but I guess imperfections show a bit more once you export it at a higher resolution (they're almost invisible on the 3DS screen).

So yeah, I've had the idea for this in my head for a while now. Admittedly having a fixed canvas size and shape did make the perspective quite tricky, and I did have to make a few compromises in terms of proportions/ anatomy just to fit everything in the picture the way I wanted. I'd heard some comments on the WIP version that it looked like Charizard was sitting down, but at the same time I couldn't really afford to make him any taller or he'd go off the top of the picture. So I tried drawing a bit of shadow under his foot to make it look more like he's walking away from the viewer (and dragging Dragonite with him P: )

Also, god damn drawing Dragonite's wings at that angle was hard. D: I still don't think I got them spot on.
  • Thumbs Up 1