Awoo.

DAMN YOU JAPANESE FANBASE

\Lennox

Apparently, the Japanese fanbase of Sonic is nigh microscopic. Several of the people seem to favor their usual dating sims, RPG's and non speed-oriented platformers based on the gaming habits I've seen. The otaku dominate much of the gaming market and beyond them, gamers in Japan are used to much more of the same, which is ironic because TWEWY has set itself in stone as one of the most creative gaming choices I have ever heard of. That and home gaming consoles are very, very expensive. The NES clocked in at around 32,40-something yen, I think.

Its been said that the Adventure series with the multiple perspectives also pushed the franchise back towards their homeland because of the differing perspectives, but is this true?

Edited by Snivy

I still don't get why most of Sonic's development is still based in Japan if most of the market is in the western hemisphere. I'd imagine there's a reason Sonic Team USA up and died, but I still feel that being made in Japan just creates an unnecessary "uncanny valley" vibe in presentation in that it seems to imitate western culture while being a decade behind it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd imagine there's a reason Sonic Team USA up and died...

There is. They called it Shadow the Hedgehog. :(

I've been wondering this myself, though. I mean, it does feel slightly odd to love something Japanese that's laughed at in Japan. Sonic is clearly designed and characterised with a western (dare I specify, American) attitude. That said, if you shake up the system, you get products like the aforementioned "dark and gritty" spinoff which just end up disappointing and dividing the fanbase. What we've got at the moment, Japanese development and western adoration, seems to be working out. Why rock the boat?

Say they ruin Sonic Anniversary, then we'll talk about Sonic Team Birmingham. ;)

I still feel that being made in Japan just creates an unnecessary "uncanny valley" vibe in presentation in that it seems to imitate western culture while being a decade behind it.

Do you know that I cringe while watching Sonic '06 cutscenes because their body movements are so ridiculously Sentai. I'm going to run and then do a ridiculous shuffle to stop! I EMOTE EVERYTHING WITH MY HANDS! When they fight they do the one-arm-blocking-one-arm-straight-out thing. Thank Oshima they mostly fixed this for Unleashed and Colors.

Edited by Dabnikz

I certainly wouldn't say the Japanese fanbase is microscopic - we just really don't pay much mind to them due the language barrier. They're still fairly large, and they're just as crazily devoted to the franchise as we are. They're immensely creative, and they take part in their own community shenanigans just like we do.

They've got their own Blognik. (Complete with fanbase-teasing and fun contests!)

They've got their own TSS. (Complete with an admin that has an echidna fancharacter as their avatar! Sound familiar?)

They've got their own fansites - and their own fansite affiliate network. (297 in this one alone!)

They've got their own deviantART. (Complete with shitty fancharacters!)

They've got their own silly fan videos jam packed with their own Sonic-centric memes. (CHEST FUR LEVEL IS THEIR GUMBALL EYES)

To say that Sonic the Hedgehog doesn't have a Japanese fanbase is just silly. It's huge. He's still plenty popular over there, but he just happens to be immensely more popular over here because us Westerners are all furries for some crazy unknown reason.

Edited by Hunter_the_Christmas_Fan
  • Thumbs Up 7

I certainly wouldn't say the Japanese fanbase is microscopic - we just really don't pay much mind to them due the language barrier. They're still fairly large, and they're just as crazily devoted to the franchise as we are. They're immensely creative, and they take part in their own community shenanigans just like we do.

They've got their own Blognik. (Complete with fanbase-teasing and fun contests!)

They've got their own TSS. (Complete with an admin that has an echidna fancharacter as their avatar! Sound familiar?)

They've got their own fansites - and their own fansite affiliate network. (297 in this one alone!)

They've got their own silly fan videos jam packed with their own Sonic-centric memes. (CHEST FUR LEVEL IS THEIR GUMBALL EYES)

To say that Sonic the Hedgehog doesn't have a Japanese fanbase is just silly. It's huge. He's still plenty popular over there, but he just happens to be immensely more popular over here because us Westerners are all furries for some crazy unknown reason.

I'm just going to blame it on Japan being relatively small and the U.S.A. being fucking huge.

Kinda like how Clint Eastwood is huge over there? XD People just like something out of the normal staus quoe.

This post makes me feel good though, that even with the language and location barrier there is something world wide we can all enjoy and share in together =3.

• Thumbs Up 1

This, basically. It's not that Sonic's unpopular in Japan, it's just that he's not nearly as popular as it is over there. I guess it's somewhat comparable to the P&S, or arguably the Scott Pilgrim craze that's hit recently; it's popular among a somewhat smallish group of people but outside that community, the populous at whole isn't aware and/or interested in it.

But doubtlessly, Sonic is very much a western brand. That's where the cultural gap comes in; sometimes the developers misinterpret western fads (guns in Shadow the Hedgehog), and often we don't understand certain Japanese elements that have found its place in the franchise (silly elements like the name Eggman). Some of the inter-branch connections SEGA's been doing recently (i.e., SOA's Sonic 4 community feedback session)is actually a very good idea for this reason; it specifically spells things out to the Japan team so that "what the west wants" isn't lost in cultural translation.

With that said, the only problem I have about Japan's fanbase is that they seem to get more goodies and exclusives than us westerners, mainly due to the fact they share a common language with the developers, and that they have an official website that still exists (seriously, what happened to that never-updated site, Sonic Central?).

...But that's simply unwarranted jealousy on my part! :lol:

Edited by BlazingYuleLog

Considering that Japan has slightly more than 1/3 of the population we have, I don't think it would be hard to see the number of fans interested in Sonic were it that significant. Although I'm really not sure as to why the fandom is so small or, if it isn't, where the fans are on the internet. Of course, that's trivial at best.

However, given how much more successful Sonic is in the west than he is in his native country, it kind of makes me wonder why they don't consider finding a way to make a permanent base here. Of course, I really don't know how that even works to begin with.

There is. They called it Shadow the Hedgehog. :(

No. Last I checked it was because they lost their lease in their department they were in.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I then to think that Sonic is very popular in the UK because hedgehogs are something of a common animal there compared to the USA. Sonic is very popular in the USA because he's just the stylish cool blue dude with the attitude that can easily win the hearts of anyone who loves animals or cartoons.

He's not as popular in Japan because he's not human. The human additions of Christ and Elise as central elements to their respective universes was meant to add appeal for the Japanese audience... and failed massively (well actually Sonic X and Sonic '06 was a hit ratings/sales-wise in the USA and UK...)

• Thumbs Up 2

What SEGAMew said.

Also, if what I've been told from a close friend of mine is true, it's the fact that most of the Japanese population only see animals as pets to have. They don't really see the idea of these animals, especially anthropomorphic ones, being on their own, being independent...as much as those outside Japan do.

I once thought that Klonoa was more popular than Sonic over there, but I was pretty much wrong... I'd say they're both on equal footing, really, but don't quote me on that.

I've often wondered why Sega keeps trying to force the SOJ Sonic canon on everyone when Sonic's not even that popular in Japan.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I then to think that Sonic is very popular in the UK because hedgehogs are something of a common animal there compared to the USA. Sonic is very popular in the USA because he's just the stylish cool blue dude with the attitude that can easily win the hearts of anyone who loves animals or cartoons.

He's not as popular in Japan because he's not human. The human additions of Christ and Elise as central elements to their respective universes was meant to add appeal for the Japanese audience... and failed massively (well actually Sonic X and Sonic '06 was a hit ratings/sales-wise in the USA and UK...)

When and where did Jesus Christ appear? :o I must see :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist :P

Thanks for all of the links, they're awesome. The only one I'd known of out of those is the Sonic Channel blog.

• Thumbs Up 1

When and where did Jesus Christ appear? :o I must see :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist :P

Well, Sonic can walk on water.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I now understand why so many modern elements are kept in this series and its hard to get critical feedback that would improve the games. Hate to say this, but games like Sonic 4 and others may be in a rut because of how much obsession there is with modern Sonic stuff there. They seem incredibly obsessed with every character in the franchise and, from what I'm seeing, have a tendency to like the modern games more than the classics (if not that, then their majority just seems to ignore the classics). With their design choices, it's almost as if they forgot anything before 1999. It's almost as if they purposely made Sonic 4 as a reminder for that. :V

However, that could be because they are on closely Sega-related stuff like Sonic Channel and soforth. Is there a Sonic Retro or Sonic Stadium of Japan? I say that with that Sonic Taste site in mind because they seem more like a giant Deviantart account with all of those fancharacters invading the site and there doesn't seem to be any major discussion or information besides said fancharacters and the oekakis that feature your daily Shadow the Werehog picture. I just wanna know if there is any group of Japanese people out there that have a preference for the older Sonic games.

I now understand why so many modern elements are kept in this series and its hard to get critical feedback that would improve the games. Hate to say this, but games like Sonic 4 and others may be in a rut because of how much obsession there is with modern Sonic stuff there. They seem incredibly obsessed with every character in the franchise and, from what I'm seeing, have a tendency to like the modern games more than the classics (if not that, then their majority just seems to ignore the classics). With their design choices, it's almost as if they forgot anything before 1999. It's almost as if they purposely made Sonic 4 as a reminder for that. :V

However, that could be because they are on closely Sega-related stuff like Sonic Channel and soforth. Is there a Sonic Retro or Sonic Stadium of Japan? I say that with that Sonic Taste site in mind because they seem more like a giant Deviantart account with all of those fancharacters invading the site and there doesn't seem to be any major discussion or information besides said fancharacters and the oekakis that feature your daily Shadow the Werehog picture. I just wanna know if there is any group of Japanese people out there that have a preference for the older Sonic games.

I think they *are* the Sonic Stadium of Japan. Heck, they even have sub sites like TSS.

http://www.sonictaste.jp/sonic_taste/?groupsite

And this could be the place where discussion takes place:

http://webmembers.sonictaste.jp/

But I can't understand all this Japanese so I could be wrong...

Their site is massive, so you have to dig deeper I think until you find the community.

Edited by Spicylicious Girl
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wow, that Sonic Taste site actually kind of gives me the vibe of the TSS of a few years ago. Kind of trippy to look at. (Though this site would imply his fan character is a wolf, actually.)

A Silver Wolf, to be exact. It seems that his name is some kind of translation of the admin's.

Edited by Franlight

I joined the community there. However not knowing any Japanese or having a translator better than the crap Google one, I can't really navigate through the website. I'd love to get a better translator and/or become fluent in Japanese so I could mingle with these people. Anyone have a better translator?

Why are you making out Sonic's minimal-at-best Japanese fanbase to be a bad thing? You're treating it as though it were cancerous.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I joined the community there. However not knowing any Japanese or having a translator better than the crap Google one, I can't really navigate through the website. I'd love to get a better translator and/or become fluent in Japanese so I could mingle with these people. Anyone have a better translator?

I think OCN is a better Japanese translator than Google (but it's in Japanese. Select the second option (和英) to translate from Japanese to English).

Hate to say this, but games like Sonic 4 and others may be in a rut because of how much obsession there is with modern Sonic stuff there. They seem incredibly obsessed with every character in the franchise and, from what I'm seeing, have a tendency to like the modern games more than the classics (if not that, then their majority just seems to ignore the classics). With their design choices, it's almost as if they forgot anything before 1999. It's almost as if they purposely made Sonic 4 as a reminder for that.

There's a fairly simple explanation for that, but I wouldn't begin to know how to express it without coming off as incredibly malicious towards the franchise itself as well as certain qualities of Japanese culture. In an effort to avoid that while I think of ways to properly phrase it, I will say that it mostly has to do with the differences in how the Pre-Adventure games were developed and how the Post-Adventure games were developed.

Edited by Tornado

Just about the only difference between the Japanese Sonic fanbase and the Western Sonic fanbase is the size of each and the language they speak.

Their art is typically a lot better too tho'. No offense. :P

Edited by Chooch