Awoo.

Japanese transcript of Shadow the Hedgehog

Thrippa

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section; I couldn't figure out where was most appropriate. Please move if necessary.)

Does anyone have or know where I can find a transcript of the Japanese script for Shadow the Hedgehog? I'd particularly like to translate the discussion between Shadow and the GUN Commander, but I can't read the kanji well enough to translate on screen, and if it's recorded and paused the kanji turn into unidentifiable blobs. The contradiction between Maria being his only family and Maria AND his family being killed in the 'accident' has always irked me, so I'd like to see if the Japanese version is any more sensible.

Hes asking for the skript not a way to translate it.

Also change your title to a question because it was deceiving.

Edited by goku262002

Well, that was laborious. Because of the way the script is organized, with the cutscene lines in the same files as the in-level dialogs, and there's one file per location so the few lines during the commander's flashback were in another file... Ugh. But I managed to piece it together.

一体、どういうことなんだ...?

僕の記憶と、ドクター達の言動...

すべてが矛盾している。

僕の過去に、一体何が...?

久しぶりだな、シャドウ!

!?

誰だ!?

この僕を知っているのか?

フン、忘れたくとも忘れられぬ!

私から、愛する家族とマリアを奪った

憎き仇、シャドウ・ザ・ヘッジホッグ!

なんだと!?

僕が...マリアを...!?

兄弟のいない私にとって、マリアは

本当の姉のような存在だった...

しかし、そのマリアも...

あの「黒の軍団」と、狂気の科学者

プロフェッサー・ジェラルドの...

邪心によって産み出された、

貴様の存在によって、消された!

僕が...プロフェッサーと

ブラックドゥームによって

産み出された...!?

とぼけるな!!

マリアだけじゃない、

貴様のせいで、アークにいた

多くの仲間達も犠牲になった。

私の家族も!

皆の恨み、今ここで晴らす!

お前の言うことが真実であるのなら、

僕は謹んで罪を償おう。

本当に...

覚えていないのか...?

しかし、今は時間をくれ。

僕に...真実を探す時間を...!

So from what I understand, the commander actually says that he didn't have siblings (instead of Maria being his only family). Now that makes sense.

On a side note, here's a line I found in another file (I think that's from the Egg Dealer battle with Knuckles in Black Comet):

I'm worried about leaving the

Master Emerald unguarded like this.

I think it's interesting to see the Master Emerald mentioned.

• Thumbs Up 1

Running that through Google Translate gets you the line:

Professor and I ...

The Burakkudumu Issued birth!?

Lolol, he issued birth.

The Burakkudumu. I'm tempted to call him this from now on.

Thanks a lot, Core! I'd hoped there might be a Japanese equivalent of Gamefaqs where someone had posted a transcript that I just couldn't locate; I really appreciate your digging in the files for me.

I had guessed that the key word lost in translation was siblings, but couldn't find an original source that I could see clearly and long enough to translate. The term seems to be more common in Japanese; I wonder if they thought people wouldn't know what it meant? Odd that they'd replace it with something that simply made no sense at all. Well, considering other holes in the stories, perhaps not so odd at that.

• 4 months later...

I hadn't realized this had gotten so old, but I'm going to revive it briefly to post the translation in case anyone else is interested. (I finally worked out how to use my kanji dictionary! Where it says 'turn to page #x' it means 'look for kanji #x'. :rolleyes: It's hard to turn to page 1707 when the book only has 900 pages.)

Shadow warps into an empty room.

What on Earth is going on . . . ? My memory, and the Doctor's words and actions

. . . Everything is contradictory. What on Earth happened in my past . . . ?

The GUN Commander appears behind him.

It's been a long time, Shadow!

!? Who's that!? You know me?

Dung, you forgot and were forgotten! You, Shadow the Hedgehog, my hated enemy, stole Maria and the family I loved from me!

What!? I . . . Maria . . . !?

Since I had no siblings, Maria was truly an older sister to me . . . Maria felt that as well . . . That 'Black Gundan' and that mad scientist, Professor Gerald . . . By their evil designs, you were created; due to your existence, she was killed!

I . . . was created by the Professor and Black Doom . . . !?

Don't play ignorant!! Because of you, not only Maria, but the Ark and its abundant company also became victims. My family also! Everyone's grudge will be dispelled here, now!

If what you say is true, I will respectfully atone for my sins.

Truly . . . You do not remember . . . ?

However, the time is come. For me ... it's time to seek the truth...!

Not the most elegant translation, perhaps, but I think it's fairly accurate. If you see any glaring errors, let me know and I'll correct them.

Edited by Thrippa
  • Thumbs Up 7

Yeah... that kinda makes sense. The direct Japanese translation (even if its a bit off) clarifies things better than the actual English version. Although, it was still fairly obvious that he was only saying that Maria was "like" an older sister to him, many did make the mistake that he was trying to say he was blood-related to her.

And yeah, his information is actually accurate... Ironic, though, that it was in fact the present leader of GUN whom invaded the colony because of Project: Shadow. The Truth About 50 Years Ago seems to indicate that Shadow wasn't fully finished until after GUN already planned to attack, but the project as a whole, and ultimately Shadow himself, were still the cause of it all the same...

Thank you for posting! hopefully soon we can see a full translated SHTH script.

In fact that should be a side-project of yours Thrippa, A "Japanese sonic game script translation" Project. You can provide the community an accurate translation of the sonic game scripts while at the same time learn a new language!

Win/win right? :)

Edited by goku262002

Thank you for posting! hopefully soon we can see a full translated SHTH script.

In fact that should be a side-project of yours Thrippa, A "Japanese sonic game script translation" Project. You can provide the community an accurate translation of the sonic game scripts while at the same time learn a new language!

Win/win right? :)

Sounds good to me, but someone would have to provide me with the scripts - which apparently are not so easily extracted from the games. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to manage it.