Awoo.

How Should Sonic's Personality Be?

CanofEpicSauce

I'd prefer it if Sonic's personality was like when Ken Penders was wrting the comic. Cocky with some swagger, but not a total douche.

I liked Sonic's personality in Sonic Unleashed. He wasn't a complete douche like he was(to me, anyway) in Colours, and thus didn't irritate the hell out of me. But, eh, whatever. You all can have your arrogant-jerk Sonic if you want. I'm too busy swooning over Eggman to care too much.

• Thumbs Up 1

I liked Sonic's personality in Sonic Unleashed. He wasn't a complete douche like he was(to me, anyway) in Colours, and thus didn't irritate the hell out of me. But, eh, whatever. You all can have your arrogant-jerk Sonic if you want. I'm too busy swooning over Eggman to care too much.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still think Sonic was more talkative in Colors because maybe Sonic Team knew we were eager to hear Rodger's overall performance considering the "Check out the consoles!" line.

That or Rodger was really having a fun time as the role. :P

I still think Sonic was more talkative in Colors because maybe Sonic Team knew we were eager to hear Rodger's overall performance considering the "Check out the consoles!" line.

That or Rodger was really having a fun time as the role. :P

He sure sounded like he was having fun.

If people would look past all the cheesy lines, they would see Sonic still has a great personality, such as the cutscene when Tails was brainwashed, Sonic was about to break Eggman's shit. All the times he praised Tails` Help, and of course talking smack to eggman before whooping his ass.

Seriously the only thing that stood out for Sonic in Unleashed in terms of personality were one or two cutscenes, specifically the "I don't need a reason to help out a friend" one(Which admitelly was pretty good), and the 2nd Apotos cutscene, other than that.....nothing really stood out in terms of character, though I may be wrong I haven't played Unleashed in a while.

With that said, I say they go the Colors route, but without all the cringe inducing lines.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, SBK definitely. SBK totally nailed Sonic's "core" personality for me and that's the sole reason I love that game - forgetting the gameplay, everything else just feels like a treat to the Sonic fan. The mood and atmosphere and characters are just so good. It was such a shame the game bombed on the gameplay front - the important one.

I also have a soft spot for Unleashed Sonic. The scene where Chip is about to leave...has me in tears every time. He was much more mellow than SBK, not quite as outgoing or loud, but I kinda like it when you have to dig a little to see the "real" Sonic. That I think was a massive advantage of SA2-Sonic, there was a lot of arrogance on the surface but deep underneath little things made him shine. I think emotional situations were dealt with by far the best in SA2, I don't like the idea that Sonic is an emotionless being (though his methods of dealing with more complex emotions can be utterly obtuse at the best of times).

Colours...oh, Colours. What to say about you? I think a number of things were done to perfection in Colours, especially Sonic & Tails' relationship. EXACTLY how it should be post-SA1/2 character development. I have no complaints there. The way Sonic interacts with Tails is SUCH an important part of his personality, I think it really helps define him. Sonic being a jerk to Tails never meshes with me...I like to see that heart of gold whenever Tails is around, it makes their relationship much more believable. This was done so well in Colours. Sonic himself...meh. I flipped the sound to Japanese after a few cutscenes and even though the dialogue didn't quite work with Junichi's portrayal that kinda fixed it for me. I loved the jokes and nonchalance and sillness of Colours-Sonic, I think that's a side of his personality that often doesn't get played well enough: his playful, prankster life-is-a-joke side. It always comes off as mind-numbingly cheesy but they did it pretty well in Colours I thought with some of the throwaway humour. LOVED that. An example of when this was done well also was *prepares for shooting* Sonic X (JPN). I always adored how X-Sonic was always joking about but when push came to shove, was serious in his intentions.

What I didn't like so much was the lack of all those philosophical elements to Sonic that I'm used to seeing. I'm so used to this far deeper view of Sonic and I feel like a lot of that depth was removed from Colours' portrayal. I think I'd be a little disenchanted if this was something set to stay. 90's cartoon attitude!Sonic holds no water for me, it takes away everything about Sonic that makes the character special and unique for me. I think it's a bit of the divide between eastern and western, America and Japan have very different takes on the character. Eastern Sonic tends to be mellow and thoughtful while Western Sonic always comes off as a bit of an arrogant lovable jerk. You can probably guess which one I like better.

Despite what others have said, I think Sonic is a VERY tricky character to write. I'm sure by the next game his portrayal will be different AGAIN, you can only really judge how the games are treating him by the direction they head in. I'm hoping they won't keep with this almost "reboot" otherwise I'll have to learn Japanese.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm probably the only one here that likes arrogant and cocky Sonic. His portrayal in the UK Sonic comics as well as in some episodes of Sonic X is bang on for me (In fact extend those attributes to Shadow, Metal, Silver and the rouges). Its not that Sonic doesn't do the right thing at the end of the day, but being 'happy go lucky' with everyone is a tad unrealistic. And come on! The guy has taken Eggman to the ground multiple times in numeorous machines and battle fleets as well as pawning god like entities. He kinda has a duty, no a right to be proud, cocky and confident in himself.

It can also be be really amusing, when another cast member somehow dents his pride, case in point Tails making fun of Sonic talking to a destroyed robot.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Hey, talking to a robot that's about to attack isn't as bad as talking to a defeated robot that's in pieces and pretty much an inanimate object XD Sonic clearly has no qualms with talking aloud just to hear his own voice. And yes, while he's very boastful and cheesy in this game, he also acts dutifully embarrassed when Tails catches him out XD So his ego isn't completely unsquishable.

It was Tails catching him in the act that almost made those grating robot shit-talking moments worth it.

Personally, I would have much rather have just done without. But as a whole his personality seems to be right on the money.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's a bit of the divide between eastern and western, America and Japan have very different takes on the character. Eastern Sonic tends to be mellow and thoughtful while Western Sonic always comes off as a bit of an arrogant lovable jerk.

I like the image of Sonic in the game ''Sonic Adventure''. I think he's so, what should be since the classics. Hedgehog in the ''SA'' to the best of fun, moderately serious, and friends are always ready to help. In ''Sonic Colors'', I think the character has changed for the worse.

I like the image of Sonic in the game ''Sonic Adventure''. I think he's so, what should be since the classics. Hedgehog in the ''SA'' to the best of fun, moderately serious, and friends are always ready to help. In ''Sonic Colors'', I think the character has changed for the worse.

How so? He seems the same to me as he was in Adventure. Constantly spewing jokes and insults seems accurate to Sonic if you ask me.

How so? He seems the same to me as he was in Adventure. Constantly spewing jokes and insults seems accurate to Sonic if you ask me.

His character has become more cynical, does strange antics, are not very good to Tails.

His character has become more cynical, does strange antics, are not very good to Tails.

1.Isn't there a difference between being cynical and cocky? :huh:

2.Please explain what you mean by "strange antics." :blink:

3.Not being nice to Tails? :lol:

The way I see it, Sonic treated Tails like a kid brother. To which to many has not been showcased in the past several games.

Please point out a scene in which Sonic was hurting (mentally or phyiscally) Tails. What about the scene before the final boss?

Edited by DragonSoul

The way I see it, Sonic treated Tails like a kid brother. To which to many has not been showcased in the past several games.

Please point out a scene in which Sonic was hurting (mentally or phyiscally) Tails. What about the scene before the final boss?

Well, Sonic did rib more on Tails than we've seen in previous games, but it was always shown as being purely for fun and not at all intended to hurt Tails feelings. Besides, Tails always zinged Sonic right back. So basically they acted more like siblings than in any previous game. The closest thing we've seen to it before in a game was probably all the way back in Sonic Adventure, when Tails asked if Sonic saw the Eggcarrier transform and Sonic gave him a "im not going to dignify that with a reply"-look which made Tails say "i hate it when he doesn't listen to me...".

2. Take for example that trick when Sonic slapped his fifth point.

3. By Tails applies even to a certain selfishness. Together they defeated the boss, but Sonic has denied this. Shocking scene when Sonic downright Tails pushed into the train.

Well, Sonic did rib more on Tails than we've seen in previous games, but it was always shown as being purely for fun and not at all intended to hurt Tails feelings. Besides, Tails always zinged Sonic right back. So basically they acted more like siblings than in any previous game. The closest thing we've seen to it before in a game was probably all the way back in Sonic Adventure, when Tails asked if Sonic saw the Eggcarrier transform and Sonic gave him a "im not going to dignify that with a reply"-look which made Tails say "i hate it when he doesn't listen to me...".

I agree. Interactions between Sonic and Tails in Colors was never out of trying to humiliate or hurt one another. That's what I was trying to get across. Brothers tend to scuffle, disagree, and argue like most siblings, but that just makes their relationship even deeper. In Sonic's case, he does not want to make Tails feel useless nor vice-versa, but occasionally give him support.

2. Take for example that trick when Sonic slapped his fifth point.

3. By Tails applies even to a certain selfishness. Together they defeated the boss, but Sonic has denied this. Shocking scene when Sonic downright Tails pushed into the train.

2."fifth" point? :huh:

3.Sonic defeating robots is nothing new or shocking to Tails, not to mention Sonic isn't the type to say how tough the enemies he faces were. Sonic pushed Tails down the tram out of Tails's safety, he didn't want Tails to get hurt in the battle and needed to escape before the whole park collapsed. That right there was good enough to call Sonic protective and concerned of Tails.

Edited by DragonSoul

It's the same. Sonic Colors and Adventure are really similar in terms of how Sonic acts. Except in Colors, they wanted to test out Smith's voice so they gave him his biggest challenge yet, to be as corny as possible in the shortest amount of time.

And that motherfucker passed.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's the same. Sonic Colors and Adventure are really similar in terms of how Sonic acts. Except in Colors, they wanted to test out Smith's voice so they gave him his biggest challenge yet, to be as corny as possible in the shortest amount of time.

And that motherfucker passed.

Did he? I think listening to Smith's voice is right up there with lacerating your gums on a rusty can in terms of enjoyability. Then again, it's all a matter of opinion...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Did he? I think listening to Smith's voice is right up there with lacerating your gums on a rusty can in terms of enjoyability. Then again, it's all a matter of opinion...

There is a difference between quality of acting and badness of dialogue. So I'm confused, is it really bad, because you think he's a bad actor (subjective or not, his acting is vastly superior to any actor to have voiced Sonic ever, barring perhaps Jaleel White), or is it bad because of some of the retarded dialogue?

There is a difference between quality of acting and badness of dialogue. So I'm confused, is it really bad, because you think he's a bad actor (subjective or not, his acting is vastly superior to any actor to have voiced Sonic ever, barring perhaps Jaleel White), or is it bad because of some of the retarded dialogue?

It's one of those matters, where I'm sure the acting is superb, but just hate the voice. The retarded dialogue really doesn't help at all, though, thinking about it. I might've actually warmed up to the voice a little if almost every single line spoken didn't make me want to hurl my controller at the television screen.

It's one of those matters, where I'm sure the acting is superb, but just hate the voice. The retarded dialogue really doesn't help at all, though, thinking about it. I might've actually warmed up to the voice a little if almost every single line spoken didn't make me want to hurl my controller at the television screen.

Try listening to Heroes dialouge... ;)

Try listening to Heroes dialouge... ;)

I have. It's part of the reason I abandoned Heroes after completing Story mode with one team.

Honestly, Smith's voice is part of the reason I forgive Colors` dialouge because while they're all cheesy and bad, he turns Narm into Narm Charm or his lines are So Bad its Good. Seriously his acting is so damn awesome, that he makes all those lines worth while, and I never felt that way about any of Sonic's other actors(Even Griffith at his prime).

• Thumbs Up 1

The only thing that really stood out for me in Black Knight when it comes to Sonic personality-wise was before the final boss fight (and sadly thats the only good part of the game IMO). Otherwise he still acts pretty much the same, there's really nothing else that he does that really stood out for me.

I like his personality in Colors the best but next time they should tone down all the jokes. I think he was great in the game, his personality reminds me so much of the SatAM/AoStH Sonic back in 90's that I loved so much.

To me, Sonic's personality should be a mix of him in Sonic X and AOSTH. He should have the hero, the kindness, and his casanova way with the ladies like he always has, the charisma and charm of Mickey Mouse, the smartness and wiseguy antics of Bugs Bunny, the screwball techniques and craziness of Daffy Duck and Woody Woodpecker and the role-model appeal he has in the Sonic Sez segments. Add either Jaleel White or Jason Anthony Griffith to do the voice and you're set.

Edited by Anthony D.