Awoo.

ONM: Sonic 20TH and Six things we'd like him to do this year

Speed the hedgehog

Official Nintendo Magazine

Mario dragged out his 25th anniversary celebrations alright. His official birthday was on 13 September and Jonathan Ross and Jamie Redknapp marked the occasion by declaring their love for the plumber. Yet he continued the celebrations for two whole months with the release of special edition Mario DS and Wii consoles before Super Mario All-Stars hit the shelves on 13 December. How will Sonic compete with that? Can we expect ruud gullit to tell us that he'll never forget the moment that he beat Eggman for the first time? Will Sega release a new Sonic game to mark the occasion?

Well, as we revealed this morning, Sega has already announced that it will be celebrating the year in style with events around the world, details of which will be released throughout the 20th anniversary year of 2011. We also know that Sega is planning to make two or three big Sonic announcements in the early part of 2010. So what will happen? Here are some (mostly)speculative ideas...

Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 2

Sonic 4 is an episodic game so we await the second episode of this WiiWare platform series at some point in 2011. Is there a better way of celebrating the hedgehog's 20th anniversary than to see him go back to his roots and star in another classic 2D platformer?

As you will know if you've played the first game or read our Sonic 4: Episode 1 Wii review, the first instalment was a beautiful nostalgia trip but we're hoping for even better things this time. We'd like to see the return of Sonic's great mates such as Tales and Knuckles for starters.

Sonic Colours 2

As Sonic developer Takashi Iizuka told us late last year, Sega released Sonic 4: Episode One and Sonic Colours at the same time so they could appeal to all Sonic fans. According to Iizuka both 2D and 3D games "have their pros and cons.

"2D and 3D Sonic both, in one way or the other, offer speed and exhilaration, while the audiences may like one more than the other," he told ONM. "This is actually one of the reasons why we are releasing Sonic 4: Episode One and Sonic Colours at the same time." Well, seeing as Sega will probably release Episode 2 this year, why not release a Sonic 3D game at the same time? As much as you'd like it, Sonic Adventure 3: Battle is unlikely so we reckon Sonic should build on the success of Sonic Colours by releasing a sequel.

Sonic The Hedgehog 3DS

Super Monkey Ball and Sonic The Hedgehog are the two Sega games which have been confirmed for 3DS but while we've seen Super Monkey Ball 3D screenshots and a trailer, there has been not a peep about Sonic's 3D debut. So what can we expect? Well a traditional 2D Sonic game might not be the best way to show off the console's capabilities so you'd think that it would be a 3D game, featuring some running into the screen action. Maybe something along the lines of Sonic Heroes but with better controls. Or if Sega were ever to make a third Sonic adventure game, this would be the platform to do it on. Although, if the company is to release another Sonic Colours game, that would also be at home on the new handheld.

Sonic Epic Collection

What's good enough for Mario should be good enough for Sonic, right? Sonic Mega Collection (pictured) and Sonic Gems Collection did the business on GameCube so perhaps Sega could release a big box set for Wii. Include all the classic Sonic games, a soundtrack CD and history book like Mario All-Stars but perhaps Sega could include more tunes on the CD and maybe include a special DVD with interviews, commentaries and speed runs. That would be sweet!

Sonic CD Virtual Console

The lost Sonic classic. This game was released for the doomed Sega CD, an add-on for the Mega Drive which, aside from this excellent time-travelling platformer, didn't have a line-up to get excited about. Therefore not as many people have played this game as the original platformers.

We think it deserves recognition as it is one of Sonic's finest games and it has a cracking soundtrack. So either remake it for Wii or release it on Virtual Console. That would be a great way to mark Sonic's big day.

Mario And Sonic at the rugby world cup

Seeing as Mario and Sonic are now friends, perhaps the plumber should be invited to the 20th birthday party. But what sporting events should they compete in this year seeing as there's no Olympic Games until 2012? Well there are two world cups this year for cricket and rugby. Sonic's birthday comes too late for the Cricket World Cup so how about the Mushroom Kingdom all-stars face off against Sonic's friends and enemies in a game of rugger. It's either that or Mario And Sonic At The Highland Games. That happens ever year. Or Mario And Sonic At The Gloucestershire Cheese Rolling. The plumber and the hedgehog bomb down a hill trying to catch the cheese first while avoiding breaking their ankles. Sounds brilliant. Or is that just me?

Seriously, do you like our first five ideas? How do you think Sonic should celebrate his 20th birthday?

can i just say as a kiwi. Mario And Sonic at the rugby world cup is a good idea not cos id get the game but cos i think more kiwi's would get into sonic j.k :)

I'm guna came right out and say it i don't think there will be a colours 2. how ever there is a 90% chance that sega are guna use the colours format(2D+3D)for many games to came. so colours is not dead yet.

Sonic Epic Collection.this is likely, but i don't want sonic to do what Mario did with its Super Mario All-Stars hit.

what i want sega to do is (finally) make SA3 or hell id do for some thing like colours but with more playable charters(but not like 06 god no)

We'd like to see the return of Sonic's great mates such as Tales and Knuckles for starters.
Edited by Blacklightning
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Okay, I know I'm not the first person who came in here expecting the obvious from the "X things Sonic should do", but this was quite a surprise.

Also, reading the comments section of the article, my favorite from that would have to be "Sonic commit suicide! Hurray!" :rolleyes:

At any rate, the only thing that has any interest to me out of that whole list would be Sonic colors. An Epic Collection is really uncalled for after the number of re-release collections we've already have...unless they were going to put ALL the series' games, in which case it might be a good thing, with an emphasis on "might", but I doubt that would make it any less uncalled for.

Honestly, the only thing I would like Sonic and the folks at Sega to do would be to surprise me. And before anyone decides to be a smartass and mention any game from the Dark Ages of Sonic, I would like them to surprise me in ways that aren't stupid! Meaning:

• a lack of as many glitches as possible
  • More than just running at high speeds, which wasn't as much stupid than it was boring in Unleashed after a while
  • If they're going to add more characters, avoid the genre roulette crap that you did in previous titles
  • Make said characters optional, if implemented
  • Make an actual GOOD plot, which we're seeing signs of with Unleashed and Colors
  • And stop trying to make the game one-sided for certain fans and actually make a good game

Other than that, I'd like to see a surprise in store with Sonic.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Sonic CD on the Virtual Console? That's massively naive of them, considering it used CD audio for its soundtrack. Yeah, you could easily get the game working under a 40MB size limit, but good luck with making the soundtrack anything better than a heap of crap quality-wise.

XBLA and PSN maybe, but Virtual Console has no chance.

Seeing as Mario and Sonic are now friends, perhaps the plumber should be invited to the 20th birthday party. But what sporting events should they compete in this year seeing as there's no Olympic Games until 2012?

ONM seem to be forgetting that the Mario & Sonic games have come out the year before the respective Olympic Games so as to cash in on the Christmas rush. So if we're going to see Mario & Sonic At The London Olympic Games (or whatever), it's likely we'll have that for Christmas 2011 than Summer 2012.

Actually, ONM seems to have forgotten a lot about Mario & Sonic recently. I remember in one of their latest issues, they stated the first crossover was in Super Smash Bros Brawl. Which, as we all know, isn't true. The whole appeal of Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games was, y'know, the fact that it was the first crossover game.

Well I want that they don't compromise or cut corners, like they always did with 3d Sonic games. Even tough Colors is the first game that doesn't have any poor desicions from the get-go, it still doesn't deliver on anything and cut's corners here and there,like on level architecture.

Well I want that they don't compromise or cut corners, like they always did with 3d Sonic games. Even tough Colors is the first game that doesn't have any poor desicions from the get-go, it still doesn't deliver on anything and cut's corners here and there,like on level architecture.

Their list could be simplified to the following.

*A Nintendo exclusive character... hey the Wii needs something to keep it alive in 2011!

Edit: lolz, go ahead and rate it down, but I'm right, the whole list is nothing but "Oh release all this stuff on the Wii, we won't mention any actual stuff that people care about, like gameplay! As for the future of the Wii I think I'm right on that one too. So far the only thing Nintendo has going for it is the 3DS, care to name more than 5 actual titles for the wii that are due out in 2011 which might actually be good? Or that people will be waiting until midnight to get their hands on?

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Bad Quality Post 6

lolz, go ahead and rate it down

Alrighty then!

Mmm...I don't think that all of those are good ideas.

And ONM should know that sport games like FIFAs or, in this case Olyimpic Games, always come out the previous year

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I kind of agree with Hogfather, sorry. However at the same time dude, this is to be expected - seeing as this list came from a Nintendo magazine. It only makes sense that they'd be listing stuff for their platform. Personally the only things off this list I wish would come true are the Knuckles and Tails in episode 2 dealio, and Sonic 3DS.

I'd rather there be no Colours 2 this year, it is much too early and seeing as Colours was just released it'd be super rushed if they made a sequel that quickly because they probably have different teams working on different projects already. So I'd rather them hold off until they have more time to get it out and have it be quality. Instead, I'd love to see the HD consoles maybe get some love and have a 20th anniversary title on those. The Wii owners already got some massive love early with Colours, I say focus now on capturing the audience on the other consoles now. I mean if it was a multiplatform game across all three systems I'm not going to care really, I just feel it'd be best to focus on the HD consoles by themselves so more resources can go into those.

If it is another Wii exclusive title I am not going to lie, I am going to be miffed. I'm a bit bitter that the Wii gets more Sonic love than the other platforms, which is why I really want a great 3D, HD title for the other platforms. I want it to be the best it can be in all areas, graphics, sound, and gameplay. I'm sure many people will disagree with that stance, but hey, its just my opinion :P. However if it is another Wii exclusive I'll just borrow the Wii from my friend again like I did with Colours and play it that way, but I'll be still a little let down.

I'd also like, for once, a -good- collectors edition, something with a DVD that shows the process of how they made the game etc. I am in 3D animation/game design for college so DVDs like that always interest me. Or hell, maybe instead of that a book or something filled with concept art and other interesting pieces on how the game was made - something like that anyway.

Edited by Punk

Their list could be simplified to the following.

*A Nintendo exclusive character... hey the Wii needs something to keep it alive in 2011!

It's a Nintendo magazine. What the hell else are they supposed to say?

Sonic CD on the Virtual Console? That's massively naive of them, considering it used CD audio for its soundtrack. Yeah, you could easily get the game working under a 40MB size limit, but good luck with making the soundtrack anything better than a heap of crap quality-wise.

XBLA and PSN maybe, but Virtual Console has no chance.