Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Strong Bad

Yup... the game that sold GameCubes. Its unfortunate successor failed both at selling Wii's and at being both the casual AND competitive powerhouse Melee was.

Some awesome Melee vids:

More to be added.

1. Post Topic

2. Discuss

3. ???

4. PROFIT

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strong Bad

• Midnight Echidna

• Crystal Kingfisher

• ovarloard

I absolutely love this game! Definitely one of my favorite of all time. Although I believe you're incorrect on your latter remark as I'm pretty sure Brawl outsold Melee by a significant margin, although that may be do because of the immense popularity of the Wii in comparison to the Gamecube.

My favorite characters were Peach and Zelda, with the Ice Climbers coming in third. I miss Peach's "feel" from Melee. I won't deny it though, I haven't returned to Melee since I returned since my purchase of Brawl.

My latter sentence was actually correct; Brawl did not sell Wii's. Wii Fit, Wii Sports, the Wii Remote, and all the other gimmicky shit sold Wii's. Melee, however, sold Gamecubes. In fact, I'd say that without Melee, the GameCube wouldn't have sold nearly as well as it did. The same cannot be said about Brawl & the Wii, though.

Regardless, sales do not = a good game. Halo 3 was a bore >_>

Moving on, Donkey Kong, Fox, and Marth for the win. You can probably find videos of my Marth & DK on Youtube if you search Strong Bad Melee *character*...

All I can say about Melee is don't mess with me when I'm Mario. I'm better at him in Melee than I am at Sonic in Brawl.

I played this game with my ex-best friend and other people. Yeah, good times! I'd play it with him and some of my/his friends at his house. This is another awesome multiplayer game. I'd be Ganondorf (sp?) and I would win with him a lot.

Melee is my favorite fighter ever. Top characters are Samus, Dr. Mario, Yoshi and Ness. I still play too. If only it had online play.

Super Smash Bros. Melee is a true masterpiece. I remember having so much fun with this game when I got it for Christmas in 2001. I, along with my brother, would play this game non-stop. About four or five years ago, I constantly played Versus Mode matches with the difficulty level all the way up (due to the fact that I found the Normal difficulty setting to be too easy), using characters such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Zelda/Shiek, and whoever else I missed. Also, the last Event Match against Giga Bowser, Ganon, and Mewtwo was pretty epic and challenging. I remember it taking several tries for me to beat that one.

I mained Falco, Marth and Sheik and used them against all of my challengers. I used to invite people form all over my neighborhood to go against me and win. I loved that game.

Edited by Shade737

xD Hadn't seen that wombo clip before...

Main: Jiggly

2nd: Zelda

3rd: Game and Watch

Melee is a classic. Don't flame me here, but I prefer Brawl more. I still like Melee though, and it's WAY better than the N64 SSB (which is lame now compared to Melee and Brawl). It was my first GC game and it came with my GC when I got it on my 9th birthday. My favorite characters are Captain Falcon, Roy, and Kirby.

But quick question, I've heard from a lot of people some thing called "Wavedashing", what is it exactly?

The only thing about Brawl I liked more was that there were more stages that were fun, and the character roster was much better IMO. However, I have to give the actual fighting mechanics to Melee. Not only that but I seem to trip a lot in Brawl and that has caused me a LOT of trouble before, and I don't even know why my character is tripping when there are no bananas lying around.

Anyway, the fighting I found to be much more fluid and just overall it seemed to play at a faster pace than Brawl. Sheik ftw though, she is my best character in Melee 8). Sonic is my main ass-kicker in Brawl however.

Basically, you jump, and in the starting frames you aerial dodge horizontally downwards, sliding. It's useful for spacing. Do a YouTube search for wavedashing.

Melee is a classic. Don't flame me here, but I prefer Brawl more. I still like Melee though, and it's WAY better than the N64 SSB (which is lame now compared to Melee and Brawl). It was my first GC game and it came with my GC when I got it on my 9th birthday. My favorite characters are Captain Falcon, Roy, and Kirby.

But quick question, I've heard from a lot of people some thing called "Wavedashing", what is it exactly?

I never used it before but it looks useful.

Edited by Shade737

Melee was an awesome game, though I still quite enjoyed Brawl, as it featured Wario, who became my favorite Smash fighter.

Its hard to go back to Melee once you've played Brawl. I tried playing it, its so different. Unfortunately my memory card borked and I lost all my data :/ I tried playing as Jigglypuff on that, the feel of the characters were much more difficult. I play as more Brawl newcomers, too.

Not to say it wasn't good. I still like Melee better, even though I am better at Brawl. Brawl is less technical, though, I think, that's why I play Brawl over Melee.

Back in the DAY, I played as Falco, Sheik, and Marth, I think. Maybe Fox and Pikachu.

Now I think I would play as Falco, Marth, and Jigglypuff...

Brawl is less technical, though, I think, that's why I play Brawl over Melee.

...that's like the worst reason to pick one game over another....

The character roster isn't really a reason one game is better than the other; you could have five hundred characters and the game would still suck if the core gameplay was repetitive and boring.

Great game. I still play it fairly regularly with friends since I don't have a Wii or a copy of Brawl--it hasn't aged a bit! Still just as great as ever.

As for characters I use... Mario used to be my main for the longest due to his pretty dynamic range of moves, decent speed, and maneuverability; however, I've recently found myself using Young Link a lot more than I ever used to before. He's the perfect complement to Link's great set of moves, but with more speed. There's a bit less power involved in the equation, but my general strategy relies on movement rather than raw power anyway. It all works out! :)

I should probably go and play a round or two now, actually...

...that's like the worst reason to pick one game over another....

The character roster isn't really a reason one game is better than the other; you could have five hundred characters and the game would still suck if the core gameplay was repetitive and boring.

If you compare Brawl pros' videos to those of Melee, there's a definite difference. The simplicity of Brawl makes it playable for me :P I didn't say Brawl was better, I'm just better at it than Melee. And the character thing had nothing to do with my preferences. I was just saying that I'm better at more characters in this one than in the last one, is all.

There's a definite difference because Brawl lacks depth. In the year it's been out, the metagame has developed to an equivalent amount of about 4 or 5 years of Melee. And it's still boring as shit to watch, and hardly better to play. It only takes about a week of dedication to actually learn all of the advanced techniques in Melee, and implementation comes with game experience. In Brawl, you have to memorize a dumb amount of percents, two-hit combos, have to be defensive most of the time, and have ridiculous mindgames otherwise you won't be able to play at tournament level.

I've also played several top ranked Melee players in tournament, and one of them lives in my town. Melee is not as difficult as you may think.

Edited by Strong Bad

When I was a video game novice, I went to my friends' houses, and they all had Melee. I had never played it before and I wasn't winning any fights, but I was never the first one to die. (Maybe that had something to do with being Mewtwo and standing there shooting Shadow Balls while doing nothing else.) Everyone was actually pretty impressed when I told them it was my first time playing Smash Bros. I didn't play it enough to get good at it, however.

Then, I got my own copy of Brawl, and I played it until I became more experienced at it. I went back to my friends' houses, and I kicked their asses, although not as hard as I would have if we had been using Brawl. All my fav characters are newcomers to Smash Bros (Sonic, Snake, Ike, Wolf, etc.)

So while Melee was a great game in its own right, I never played it enough to fully enjoy it like I did with Brawl.

That was an excellent, in-depth, well thought-out post about Super Smash Bros. Melee. Thank you.

Wait, me? -looks at previous post-

If that's not sarcasm (I mean no offense; I've always had a problem telling if something was sarcasm), then thanks.

I keep seeing how people keep saying that Brawl basically sucks in comparement to Melee. Although I have never played Gamecube or Melee, the complaining starts to irritate me. I know that Melee and Brawl are more or less about the same thing. Other than +/- characters, Brawl has better model and visual quality overall and has an adventure mode, something I (correct me if I'm wrong) haven't heard that Melee has. Whether Gamecube has a "Play Online" feature, I do not know.

I would not be against trying out Melee sometime in the future, if I ever manage to find a copy of the game, but I honestly cannot see how Brawl can get any better. It is an extremely long game with several single player options, one of them being a long adventure mode. Also having an archievement system, an uncountable amount of "trophies", then its information centre and whatever else there is. I have been playing this game a lot for probably a half year now, and I still have not properly finished it.

Yup... the game that sold GameCubes. Its unfortunate successor failed both at selling Wii's

... Super Smash Bros. Brawl was actually the reason I got a Wii, though. =P

As I said, I would be happy to try Melee, but I will still play Brawl more. It's not as bad as you say it is, people. Maybe I should hope it's because I'm missing something really awesome.

Brawl is my current favourite game overall. I wonder if that will change if I try Melee anytime soon.

I agree with Diz. Melee and Brawl each have their ups and downs. I really like Melee, but I also really like Brawl. I think the only downsides I can name for both games is that Melee doesn't have a very good Adventure mode and Brawl has crap WiFi. >.>

Hmm, I actually feel like playing Melee now...or maybe Brawl..? *thinks*