Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Strong Bad

Great game. I still play it fairly regularly with friends since I don't have a Wii or a copy of Brawl--it hasn't aged a bit! Still just as great as ever.

Trust me, the Wii sucks. The only good exclusives on it are Brawl, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Kart Wii, No More Heroes, MadWorld, and (sort of) Secret Rings. I didn't put Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4, or Trauma Center on the list because those are on other consoles. You're better off sticking with the 'Cube.

Also, thanks SB for telling me how to wavedash. I'm going to start playing Melee again and try to do it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Strong Bad

• Midnight Echidna

• Crystal Kingfisher

• Random Rhyme

So while Melee was a great game in its own right, I never played it enough to fully enjoy it like I did with Brawl.

Thats, like, exactly what I was trying to say. I'm just retarded when it comes to speech. I was really good at Melee before though. Not as good as I am in Brawl, but that's most likely because I haven't tried it recently.

I'll tell you one thing, though: The items were so much more fair in Melee. I'm mad they got rid of the Parasol, and I think the Pokemon were also more fair, too. Now with all those stupid trophies and Final Smashes it can turn the game around with some luck. No skill necessary. It was more fun when people didn't get pissed over a stupid trophy or finisher and then stopped playing. :P

I would try Melee again if my brother would ever get off the Wii. I just need to try and copy the Melee data off the corrupt memory card. And to whoever was talking about 'Cube VS. Wii, you might as well get the Wii. It can use all the games, controllers, and memory cards that the GC uses, plus it has Internet (bad wi-fi, but better than no internet :/) and motion sensing games that are slightly amusing. You know, like Wii Sports and ...uh...yeah. But really, its just an upgraded Cube. Its rectangular now *shot*

I might just go kick my brother off now...

Well I haven't got very far into Brawl yet but there are things about both games I prefer to the other. The characters feel a bit better to control in Melee (played both with Gamecube controller.) and I MUCH prefer the adventure mode in Melee to this practically senseless story mode in Brawl, which I just don't really get and it's the same thing over and over. For those that haven't played Melee (Diz), the adventure mode there works in a similar way to the classic mode. You just pick a character and go through different stages all themed to the game's characters. Some are battles and some are puzzle challenges and some have both. It's much shorter but just feels a lot more right.

Don't get me wrong, I love the whole idea with the subspace emissary, but with all these iconic characters coming together into this story driven game, isn't there supposed to be a certain magic to it all? It totally lacks any excitement from what I've played. On paper it's great. Mario, Link, Marth, Kirby, Pokemon & others all fighting side by side etc. Should have been awesome, but I find the subspace emissary a real drag. It tries a bit too hard to make sense out of these really surreal ideas that are best left without explanation. But I've yet to beat it so I might change my mind.

On the other hand, Brawl's great for the enormous roster of characters and the cool features like the stage builder and the innovative use of Pictochat and Warioware to make stages with.

Bottom line IMO is that Brawl wins hands down for content, but Melee wins hands down for execution. So far, anyway.

I keep seeing how people keep saying that Brawl basically sucks in comparement to Melee. Although I have never played Gamecube or Melee, the complaining starts to irritate me. I know that Melee and Brawl are more or less about the same thing. Other than +/- characters, Brawl has better model and visual quality overall and has an adventure mode, something I (correct me if I'm wrong) haven't heard that Melee has. Whether Gamecube has a "Play Online" feature, I do not know.

You would be wrong if you were to make that statement. I wrote a 2-page long post about how different they are in the Brawl topic before SSMB got killed, I'm not doing it again.

I would not be against trying out Melee sometime in the future, if I ever manage to find a copy of the game, but I honestly cannot see how Brawl can get any better. It is an extremely long game with several single player options, one of them being a long adventure mode. Also having an archievement system, an uncountable amount of "trophies", then its information centre and whatever else there is. I have been playing this game a lot for probably a half year now, and I still have not properly finished it.

... Super Smash Bros. Brawl was actually the reason I got a Wii, though. =P

As I said, I would be happy to try Melee, but I will still play Brawl more. It's not as bad as you say it is, people. Maybe I should hope it's because I'm missing something really awesome.

Brawl is my current favourite game overall. I wonder if that will change if I try Melee anytime soon.

I 100%'d the single player aspect of Brawl within a month. Though, it would probably take me about a week to 100% Melee, do you buy Halo 3 for the single player? Do you buy Street Fighter IV for the single player mode? Guilty Gear? Marvel vs. Capcom 2? Soul Calibur IV? I'd severely hope not, because buying comparing two games based on their single player mode when the multiplayer is 95% of the game is somewhat silly, IMO. I'm not really saying that Brawl is a bad game, because it's a good game. It's well made, it's fun, and appealed to a lot of people. However, IMO, it has very limited replay value. The multiplayer mode is slow, the character balance is horrible, the stages are more of a nuisance than in any other Smash Bros. game, etc. For some people, that's ok! Not for me. Melee is faster paced, requires actual skill, time, dedication to play at a tournament level. And not to mention it actually has tournament potential... brawl is lol for tournaments.

The items were so much more fair in Melee.

"Items," and "fair," shouldn't be in the same sentence, unless "aren't," is between them.

And to whoever was talking about 'Cube VS. Wii, you might as well get the Wii. It can use all the games, controllers, and memory cards that the GC uses, plus it has Internet (bad wi-fi, but better than no internet :/) and motion sensing games that are slightly amusing. You know, like Wii Sports and ...uh...yeah. But really, its just an upgraded Cube. Its rectangular now *shot*

This would work if you were deciding on buying either a Wii or a Gamecube solely based on features, but this doesn't work if A. you already have a gamecube or B. you're tight on money.

Not to mention the Gamecube's life expectancy is over 4 times as much as the Wii's.

Regardless, I do not want this topic to become a Brawl vs. Melee thread, or a Wii vs. Gamecube thread. This is purely a Melee thread and I intend for it to stay that way.

Edited by Strong Bad

I'll tell you one thing, though: The items were so much more fair in Melee. I'm mad they got rid of the Parasol, and I think the Pokemon were also more fair, too.
Agreed. Melee had some great items that had advantage and disadvantages from using them. It balanced it all out and made things situational. The only probably was the strength of many of the items when thrown. It was nice that the items in melee actually had interesting weakness (some were character specific and others universal). The pick up and drop system in melee was load better than the other titles as well. It was a lot more risky to pick something up and then it limited some of your tactics but you got other unique strengths from having it. The risk reward factor of the items in melee made them seem a lot more fulfilling. Overall, the item play in melee was far superior to the other two smash games.

I was playing Melee today at my school. Along with Brawl+ and a very short amount of time in normal brawl. Melee really is a smooth and fast game that is a lot of fun. I am glad I noticed there is a community of Melee players at my school during the hour I have between two of my classes. Hopefully I will start playing melee from now on and revive my old Ganny. I got 4 warlock punches in today.

Edited by Giza

I 100%'d the single player aspect of Brawl within a month. Though, it would probably take me about a week to 100% Melee,

I did that in a week or two. I did not mean 100% of the single player aspect, I meant 100% of the game overall. There are countless of trophies you will have to unlock, similar to Xbox archievements, and you still have to play Intense on every single boss and level in the game (I love that, lawl. GO FOR THE DOOR *Smashed off screen*). It prolly is things like these in many games, but I feel they are an unique part of the game in Brawl, so felt like mentioning.

About you saying Brawl and Melee not being the same thing, you must have misunderstood me. I suppose that Melee is really different to Brawl, but in essence, isn't it about performing attacks, highening percentages and getting the foe off-screen? Because that's all I meant. But me bringing that up might be slightly irrelevant anyway, lawl.

Regardless, I do not want this topic to become a Brawl vs. Melee thread, or a Wii vs. Gamecube thread. This is purely a Melee thread and I intend for it to stay that way.

You and others kinda already did start that here by mentioning Brawl and comparing it all the time in all-negative ways, for a while in other topics as well it feels, but I won't drag it any further from here. In fact, I'm quite tempted to try out Melee anytime soon if I ever can get a hold of it. Me having a Wii and a Gamecube controller prolly qualifies me. xD

I MUCH prefer the adventure mode in Melee to this practically senseless story mode in Brawl, which I just don't really get and it's the same thing over and over.

Weird, I thought the adventure mode in Melee was too short and got boring after the 5th or 10th time you finish it. I prefer Brawl's much more because it's longer. I never got to see the cutscenes in Brawl's adventure mode sadly (I have a modchipped Wii and it won't allow me to view most of the cutscenes entirely), most people say that's the only good part about it.

But now that I think about it, Melee has better multiplayer than Brawl (but Brawl's is awesome too), and Brawl has the better single player and adventure mode than Melee.

Don't get me wrong, I love the whole idea with the subspace emissary, but with all these iconic characters coming together into this story driven game, isn't there supposed to be a certain magic to it all? It totally lacks any excitement from what I've played. On paper it's great. Mario, Link, Marth, Kirby, Pokemon & others all fighting side by side etc. Should have been awesome, but I find the subspace emissary a real drag. It tries a bit too hard to make sense out of these really surreal ideas that are best left without explanation. But I've yet to beat it so I might change my mind.

I know what you mean. Somehow, I think SSE could've been done better. I prefer Melee's more, probably because its like Classic mode and you KEEP the character for the whole thing.

This also brings up another thing. I hate how they set up Classic and All Star in Brawl. They're all set to a different series for each battle, and it makes everything feel so monotonous. I could tell you who you're gonna face first, then what next, and everything. I much preferred the way it was set up in Melee, where you had a normal one vs. one, then some sort of team battle, then a special stage, etc. Likewise in All-Star, where the order was randomized.

You would be wrong if you were to make that statement. I wrote a 2-page long post about how different they are in the Brawl topic before SSMB got killed, I'm not doing it again.

I'll just say something here really quick about this. Just so no one has to later. Basically, Melee was a more competitive version, while Brawl attempted a more laidback way. (emphasis on ATTEMPTED) In reality, neither are bad games, its just that most people prefer a competitive game, whether you're good at it or not. Most people have fun by winning. People like to win from their own ability, not a lucky accident (*COUGHTRIPPINGCOUGH*) by the other player. :/

I 100%'d the single player aspect of Brawl within a month. Though, it would probably take me about a week to 100% Melee, do you buy Halo 3 for the single player? Do you buy Street Fighter IV for the single player mode? Guilty Gear? Marvel vs. Capcom 2? Soul Calibur IV? I'd severely hope not, because buying comparing two games based on their single player mode when the multiplayer is 95% of the game is somewhat silly, IMO. I'm not really saying that Brawl is a bad game, because it's a good game. It's well made, it's fun, and appealed to a lot of people. However, IMO, it has very limited replay value. The multiplayer mode is slow, the character balance is horrible(COUGHMETAKNIGHTSNAKE), the stages are more of a nuisance than in any other Smash Bros. game, etc. For some people, that's ok! Not for me. Melee is faster paced, requires actual skill, time, dedication to play at a tournament level. And not to mention it actually has tournament potential... brawl is lol for tournaments.

I agree with the bolded stuff. But if you think about it, the stages are alot more basic in design if you take out those random effects. It was hard to find a nice, basic looking stage when I was playing Melee today.

"Items," and "fair," shouldn't be in the same sentence, unless "aren't," is between them.

Dude... this whole anti-items thing makes no sense to me. As long as you take off the invincibilty items (Shrooms, Inv. Star, hammer) the bobombs, and the Ray gun, you should be fine.

Yeah, that's alot to take off, but it works pretty fairly for me. In Melee the Pokemon were also pretty fair, too. Most don't have knockback, I don't think, other than Porygon 2, and they just put on some damage. I dunno, your choice.

Not to mention the Gamecube's life expectancy is over 4 times as much as the Wii's.

Really? I didn't know that :| Excuse the stupid question, but do you mean physically would last longer or software-wise?

My friend was the president of the Super Smash Bros. Melee Club in high school. I'm not even kidding. His first week in college, some kids he was walking by said something bad about melee (he was wearing a SSBM shirt). Long story short: he head-butted one of them and then stomped his ass.

I play Brawl more than Melee for one reason only.

Sonic.

Spin dash feints ftw.

But seriously, if Sonic, (with spin dash feints, great recovery and speed) were in Melee (superior combo game, real grab/ledge games (though Sonic's throws in Brawl are pretty sweet, they'd be even better in Melee), jumps which are effected by momentum and faster game overall) I would never play Brawl at all.

I was checking out Shoryuken forums and damn do they hate Smash. Seriously, I heard the fighting game community outside of Smash's communty hated the game but really...

I'll just say something here really quick about this. Just so no one has to later. Basically, Melee was a more fun version, while Brawl attempted a more dull and boring way. (and succeeded) In reality, neither are bad games, its just that most people prefer a fun game, whether you're good at it or not. Most people have fun by winning. People like to win from their own ability, not a lucky accident (*COUGHTRIPPINGCOUGH*) by the other player. :/

Fixed

I agree with the bolded stuff. But if you think about it, the stages are alot more basic in design if you take out those random effects. It was hard to find a nice, basic looking stage when I was playing Melee today.

Dude... this whole anti-items thing makes no sense to me.

Really? I didn't know that :| Excuse the stupid question, but do you mean physically would last longer or software-wise?

There are about the same amount of basic (neutral) stages in Brawl as in Melee. Even though there are 40+ stages. Which is kinda sad.

Items are random. No matter how you spin it, randomness isn't fair. Ever. Regardless of the degree to which they are fair, they aren't. Someone could work hard to get a Pokeball to get a Goldeen, while a PokeBall spawns while someone is off the stage and they get a legendary or a Snorlax to edgeguard.

I meant it physically. Dude, I've seen a Gamecube live a 2-story drop and still play fine, and then a Wii broke completely after falling off of a table 2.5 feet high. Nintendo = 222good.

My list of characters: Yoshi (Light Blue), Dr. Mario (Black), DK (Love the suicide grab move!:3) and Pichu(Love to spam the charge attack, adds excitement knowing there's a little death bomb hurling your way!).

I dunno what my favorite level'll be...it's a toss up between Pokefloats and Final Destination. I enjoy FD alot, simple and straighforward! I love doing the meteor attack and watch the people fall.

For what it's worth I enjoy both Melee and Brawl. Some changes/things in Brawl I didn't prefer and there were things I enjoyed.

My list of characters: Yoshi (Light Blue), Dr. Mario (Black), DK (Love the suicide grab move!:3) and Pichu(Love to spam the charge attack, adds excitement knowing there's a little death bomb hurling your way!).

I dunno what my favorite level'll be...it's a toss up between Pokefloats and Final Destination. I enjoy FD alot, simple and straighforward! I love doing the meteor attack and watch the people fall.

For what it's worth I enjoy both Melee and Brawl. Some changes/things in Brawl I didn't prefer and there were things I enjoyed.

Awesome. I'm really pissed they didn't put Poke Floats in Brawl. It would've worked better with the floatiness, and probably would be one of the few without a deathtrap. :| Gotta love Chansey though, pop in, pop out.

My friend said he played Melee better than Brawl, which he does, we were way more evenly matched. But...it was sad when he said he was getting serious now, and got killed three times in a row :\ I was Pichu, he was Captain Falcon....it was sad...thats all you can say about it...it was sad. But still, I would play Pichu so much if it weren't for the fact it hurt itself. Its pretty good. Better than Pikachu, in my opinion.

Man, I miss the way Zelda is in Brawl. But then again, Sheik is better in Melee...And Jigglypuff...And Falcon... And Link...

Mewtwo could've been made better though. I liked his moves, if they extended his reach a bit...

Mario was better in Brawl but DK sucked......MORE! But thats because im terrible at DK in both.