Awoo.

Weird thought about Black Knight's ending...

Blazey Firekitty

So, at the end of the game, we find that Sonic is "the real King Arthur."

According to Merlina, Arthur is destined to die, and for the kingdom to die with him...

...but naturally Sonic isn't dead, since he's home safe and sound during that last cutscene with Amy.

So...maybe Merlina misinterpreted some sort of ancient prophecy? It's not like Sonic had a Guinevere to marry, after all...

I think the fandom has eaten my brain, because I can't help but read something romantic into that tragic scene. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

How much does Black Knight really have in common with the actual stories? Like, it can't be to the exact detail. :P It's supposed to be an interpretation on the stories with furry animals being the characters.

It shows that the old writers couldn't even copy a well known story right.

A carbon copy of the classic tale would require absolutely no effort on the writing team's behalf, as it would be merely nothing more than a cut and paste of the original story with the aesthetic appearance of Sonic characters thrown into the mix, and wouldn't have any attributes to differentiate it from the source material. Adaptations of classic stories tend to take artistic liberties to make the work all their own, rather than be a rehash of a story that's been told hundreds of times already. Why, even the most notable renditions of A Christmas Carol that feature characters from a pre-established franchise are the ones that did something special with it.

I felt what Sonic and the Black Knight did did well when it came to terms of storytelling. They did some very original twists on the source material while managing to integrate their characters seamlessly and efficiently into the world of Camelot, and I commend them for that.

As for the "destined to die" part regarding King Arthur... I'm pretty sure that was referring to Arthur, the king at the time who was in turn slain by the spiky blue protagonist - not Sonic, who just happened to be revealed as the true King of the Grand Kingdom, as chosen by Caliburn.

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 4

I think the "King Authur" is just a title given to any new kings of Camelot after King Author's passing.

As stupid as it was, yes. Sonic should have been called "King of Camelot", not "King Arthur".

As HunterTSF said, I think it was because if the fake King Arthur was still alive, the story would of ended like Merlina said it would. But since Sonic entered the scene, and not only and proved himself as a knight, but also saved the kingdom from the being controlled by Underworld. That in itself makes him the real King Arthur if you ask me. Thus possibly changing the ending to the story of King Arthur(and it's title.)

But here's where Merlina bothers me. If she knew original King Arthur was fake, why didn't she try and seek out the real one so the story's ending could have been altered? :huh: But then again, it was her who summoned Sonic to the story like Sharah before her, so she underestimated Sonic as being being what she should have originally seeked out instead of taking the easy route.

Edited by DragonSoul

I also think Merlina was referring to the original Arthur, not to Sonic.

But what's bothering me about Black Knight's ending, is that Camelot is now without a king, since the king "Arthur" Sonic has left the book and returned to the real world. So what's going to happen to Camelot now? What was the point of choosing Sonic as the king if he's not going to stay around to rule?

I also think Merlina was referring to the original Arthur, not to Sonic.

But what's bothering me about Black Knight's ending, is that Camelot is now without a king, since the king "Arthur" Sonic has left the book and returned to the real world. So what's going to happen to Camelot now? What was the point of choosing Sonic as the king if he's not going to stay around to rule?

Maybe he left one of the Knights to rule. Take your pick, I'm more leaning on Percival because if Gawain or Lancelot were in charge, they would probably butt heads. Not sure why I think that.

Maybe he left one of the Knights to rule. Take your pick, I'm more leaning on Percival because if Gawain or Lancelot were in charge, they would probably butt heads. Not sure why I think that.

Perhaps you say that because Merlina specifically mentions a rift between then being part of the downfall of the kingdom.

Perhaps you say that because Merlina specifically mentions a rift between then being part of the downfall of the kingdom.

Ya got me. :P