Awoo.

Well since Sonic joined in the celebration of Mario's 20th anniversary...

S0NIC-Keyblade 007

Does anyone remember this? (I know that they also made a T-shirt of this too)

sonicmario.gif

A couple years ago, Mr. Video Game Icon, Mario turned 20 and Sonic, his life-long rival decided to join in the celebration. During this time, Sonic was also celebrating his own anniversary (his 15th anniversary which could have turned out so much better. <_< ) Unfortunately, Mario didn't really return the favor and which Sonic a happy 15th. Though this was understandable since it was of such short notice. Well, five years later, Sonic is now turning 20 and the Mario franchise is now 25 years old. Would you guys like to see Mario wish his younger rival/friend a happy 20th just as he generously did 6 years ago? (Maybe Nintendo can make some artwork of Mario with blue spines and red sneakers giving a thumbs up and saying "Happy 20th Sonic" or something) And on that note, would you like to see any other video game characters wish Sonic a happy 20th?

Edited by S0NIC Toadstool
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

It would be sweet of Mario to show Sonic his care for his birthday =) And I think Sonic looks absolutely adorable wearing Mario's hat.

In a word, no.

With all due respect to the "other" videogame mascot, he's made a big enough deal of his 25th Anniversary lately. The polite thing to do would be to step aside quietly and let Sonic celebrate his major milestone in peace. Definitely over the summer at least, with maybe things returning to normal in time for Christmas.

If there's a new Mario game in June, so help me... :angry:

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

If they must. Clearly Peach needs to bake him a cake :V

Also Glenn, if it makes you feel better, it seems the majority of Mario's releases will be around March to coincide with the 3DS

Uh, completely unrelated, but I had this crazy dream about Sonic and Co. celebrating their 20th anniversary.

It was on three large ring looking objects floating on top of a swimming pool in the middle of an ocean or lake near what looked like Green Hill. So they were partying, and such with Sonic, Tails, Amy, the Chaotix, and Cream on the largest ring, Team Dark, Knuckles, And Wiskers on the medium ring, and some folks on the other ring. Metal Sonic, meanwhile, was being a bully by messing with folks around the rings, with Amy being hIs frequent target. Then Amy got pissed and...turned into a werehog. Shadow was eager for some action and Sonic just wanted to calm Amy down, so all three and Metal decide to spar on the large disk that supported the rings. Then Silver somehow becomes a werehog...

...look it was a weird ass dream, okay?

I love how there's so many anti-Mario people jumping up and down in this topic about how 'stupid' it would be for Mario to give his once-rival a hand for surviving as long as he has. Yeah, what?

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 5

It would certainly be the polite thing to do under the circumstances. :D

I think it would be great if Mario did so. I know I'd be happy.

However, I highly doubt there will be much, if any, recognition from the Mario franchise over Sonic's big 2-0.

The two have already been in three games together, a celebration would be nothing compared to what the red plumber has already done involving our favorite hedgehog. But yeah sure, why not. "Happy a birthday Sonic!"

I think the best thing that Mario could do for Sonic is have a crossover game... NO! Not Olympics! A real crossover, doing the one thing they both do best: platforming. Yeah, Sonic should have some running parts, and maybe have Mario get some sort of speed power-up or something in certain parts to keep up, but I think that platforming is one of the most solid things they both can do. Of course, SEGA would probably end up doing almost ALL of the work, and Nintendo would recieve almost ALL of the credit, like most Mario/Sonic games...

But they just look so good together, even in Olympics (Hey, I said they LOOKED good together, not that the game was good :P). It would be a shame not to have them do something. Who wouldn't love an epic Mario and Sonic game with a killer plot like "Bowser and Eggman team up" with maybe some cool co-op character duos like, say, Mario and Tails, or Sonic and Luigi? ...Well, I'd play it.:|

Edited by Spookers

Does anybody honestly feel that Mario and Sonic are remotely compatible in a platforming game? You might as well mix water and oil.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the best thing that Mario could do for Sonic is have a crossover game... NO! Not Olympics! A real crossover, doing the one thing they both do best: platforming. Yeah, Sonic should have some running parts, and maybe have Mario get some sort of speed power-up or something in certain parts to keep up, but I think that platforming is one of the most solid things they both can do. Of course, SEGA would probably end up doing almost ALL of the work, and Nintendo would recieve almost ALL of the credit, like most Mario/Sonic games...

But they just look so good together, even in Olympics (Hey, I said they LOOKED good together, not that the game was good :P). It would be a shame not to have them do something. Who wouldn't love an epic Mario and Sonic game with a killer plot like "Bowser and Eggman team up" with maybe some cool co-op character duos like, say, Mario and Tails, or Sonic and Luigi? ...Well, I'd play it.:|

Didn't the DS version of the Winter Olympics already have a story like that? :mellow:

Didn't the DS version of the Winter Olympics already have a story like that? :mellow:

Yes, but it was the Winter Olympics. <_<

And as far as that "water and oil" comment above the poster before me goes, I think that Mario and Sonic would go perfectly together. Haven't you ever seen Super Mario Bros. Z? :rolleyes:

And as far as that "water and oil" comment above the poster before me goes, I think that Mario and Sonic would go perfectly together. Haven't you ever seen Super Mario Bros. Z? :rolleyes:

The question was gameplay-wise. Sonic is fast as hell and rolls, Mario is an incredibly slow and precise platformer. Sonic has a ring-based damage system with 2 hits, one with rings, one without them. Mario has a hit-system based on power-ups. etc. etc. etc.

They don't mix in well.

Also, SMBZ is not representative of how Mario and Sonic mix. That's how you take two different series and try to make it Dragonball Z.

Sorry, but it had to be said.

The question was gameplay-wise. Sonic is fast as hell and rolls, Mario is an incredibly slow and precise platformer. Sonic has a ring-based damage system with 2 hits, one with rings, one without them. Mario has a hit-system based on power-ups. etc. etc. etc.

They don't mix in well.

Only if you made the game like Sonic Unleashed, where there are two completely different gameplay styles you play back-to-back as; but then you'd have to conjure up some kind of story that would mend well with this idea. Plus, to define the main difference between Mario's platforming and Sonic's speed, you'd have to emphasize Mario's usage of powerups and emphasize Sonic's speed by possibly giving him Unleashed gameplay. I wouldn't mind it too much at all, but I'm some people would.

Edited by Azukara

I looked up what this was just now. I tittered. Try harder.

Mixing water and oil?

Make an Emulsion. As Azukara said, make a Sonic Unleashed-type game where you swap back and forth between Speedy Sonic and Platformy Mario.

A lot of people enjoyed the Werehog, even though its design was mediocre at best. If you swap out the Werehog with Mario alongside some good Mario-ish level design and you're golden (and it will sell by the millions)

No more gameplay shifts in Sonic games. And that's not even mixing the two styles, that's duct-taping two games together. You might as well make a game that switches between Halo levels and Pac-Man levels.

And moreover, it's something not worth bothering with. I can't imagine what there is to gain from a game featuring the two except to pander to a short-lived petty rivalry.

• Thumbs Up 1