Awoo.

Question regarding double posts

Vasco

It's not uncommon for people to accidentaly double post, it has happened to me as well. I was wondering whether there could be a way to prevent that. In one other forum I am active (it's V-Bulletin so I don't know if it would work here) the server prevents one from double posting whithin a 15-minute span. It's really handy and I think it could be also useful here.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris

• Badnik Mechanic

• Vasco

• Flyboy Fox

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not to sure about the technical aspects of the forum and blah blah blah <=3

I do know that if you do happen to double post all you need to do is hit the report button to let a mod know that you double posted so they can delete it. Actually one thing I would add is when you report it, you should specify that it's a double post and not just ask for your post to be deleted. I remember we got a report asking for a double post to be deleted and I looked and saw it was an accidental double post so I deleted it but I guess another mod saw the post and didn't realise they only wanted the double post deleted because I saw the original post in the trash can. :0 I pm'd it back to the guy but that would have been a lot of work to be accidentally deleted so it's best to say something like 'I accidentally double posted' or some shizzle. It's not like you'll get in trouble for it :)

Why can't we just delete our own post? On most forums I go on if you post you can delete your post (until someone posts after you), if if you double post you can just delete it.

Why can't we just delete our own post? On most forums I go on if you post you can delete your post (until someone posts after you), if if you double post you can just delete it.

Because if you allow members to delete their own posts it makes it much harder for a moderator to do their job if they get a report about X being a bum hole, only to find that the offending post has vanished forever more.

If the post is simply edited, then it makes finding out if a report is genuine much easier than if theres nothing there at all.

But yeah, just click the report button, it really doesn't take much to do.

Previously, there was a function where if you double-posted, your post was merged with your previous one (as long as no one had posted in between). Then, if you noticed your own double post, you could edit your post to remove the duplication.

Yay, Thanks =D

I think it's much easier that way, prevents going through all the trouble of reporting, etc.

Edited by Vasco

Because if you allow members to delete their own posts it makes it much harder for a moderator to do their job if they get a report about X being a bum hole, only to find that the offending post has vanished forever more.

What's a Trash Can?

The old SSMB was set to merge double posts, too, glad it's finally set that way again =D

What's a Trash Can?

Actually a lot of posts that were removed or deleted didn't go into the trash, I can't remember the specific conditions, but I know that when I was in the position of deleting posts and topics, individual posts didn't always go to the trash, they simply vanished. Deleting entire topics always fond their way into the trash, but individual posts didn't always make it, no idea why since I don't tinker with the forum tools in that respect.

Edited by Casanova

Actually a lot of posts that were removed or deleted didn't go into the trash, I can't remember the specific conditions, but I know that when I was in the position of deleting posts and topics, individual posts didn't always go to the trash, they simply vanished.

Because two people deleted it at the same time so it was deleted and then deleted from the trash bin. :c

Anywho, problem solved.