Awoo.

Homestuck

Carbo

ARGH! Waiting for this next update.... just makes me want to...

docshake.gif

Edited by Silva Rymes
  • Thumbs Up 1

Okay. So I've been thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the main reason everyone is trying to destroy the greensun.gifis to shut down Jack's 1st Guardian powers, correct? Well, my crazy theory is that even if that is true, somehow the chunk of uranium WV swallowed will let him temporarily keep his when he inevitably wears the ring. I bet someone already guessed this somewhere and I missed it though.

UPDATE!

Well the disk is fixed... and now we get to see the showdown between Karkat and Gamzee!

And Karkat... uh... Appears to be "papping" Gamzee? Trying to calm him down maybe?

Edited by the ORIGINAL recolor

Hooray! It's all good now. And everybody's friends again.

Also, the third-to-last panel really made me laugh.

EDIT: Just noticed, Karkat was smiling. Wow.

Edited by Phantomime

Awww... the battle was anti-climactic. But I don't give a crap at all.

That was so cute. =)

Posted in the site's news last night:

Those are the last updates you'll see until the end of act 5 animation.

This means there will be a major content freeze. I will probably not even begin serious work on the animation for a couple weeks. There's still a lot of prep work and organization to do. That, and I have to catch up on some other stuff, like work on books, sketches and such. All the stuff I've been neglecting for many months while working on the comic.

Once I start on the animation, I can't say for sure how long it'll take, and I hesitate to give an estimate now. It's probably best to be prepared for another wait on the order of weeks. If you check back in a couple weeks, I may have a better forecast.

In the meantime, it'll pay to stop by now and then. There should be more new stuff appearing in the Topatoco and What Pumpkin stores pretty soon. I might also toy with ideas for some content to put up here and there to cut the boredom of the wait, if I can think of something that won't take much of my time. We'll see.

Sooooo we've got a while. Good news is this act is finally ending. Bad news is that it's gonna be a few weeks by the looks of things till we see this ending.

WHAT WILL WE DO WITHOUT UPDATES!? D:

Edited by Spin

Roll up into a fetal position, cry, then make more Youtube videos to pass the time.

That sounds like bad news to me.

Yeah that could be good or bad news depending on how you look at it, but IMO it's about time this act is wrapping up. It's lasted over FOURTEEN MONTHS.

So in other words... Don't expect an update for a week or three? Uh oh... I dunno how I'm gonna live without homestuck! Oh gog, I'm already panicing, I'm feeling lighheaded. Someone catch me, I'm gonna pass out!!! D:

Seriously though, Life can catch up to anyone, no matter how successful to anyone. It's like I always say, Life's a bitch, but you gotta do what it wants you to do. And also, I'm expecting something awesome for the end of act 5. I dunno whether to be happy that we're finally entering another part of the story, or sad that the story is reaching near the end. Though I am pretty sure that the ending wont come for quite a while. Should be a fun ride 'til then.

• 2 weeks later...

And yet again, Hussie trolls us with three new 'updates'. None of which advance the plot in any way and all of which are nothing more than filler until he drops his flash bomb to end Act 5 once and for all. Also, the last update apparently links to Jailbreak, for some strange reason.

Latest news post on the site:

I said I'd give a forecast on when to expect the next animation to be finished. So here you go.

I can't imagine there'll be anything to see here until at least three weeks from now. I'd like to give a more optimistic outlook. In the past, such optimism has been misleading.

One problem is, I don't have the running start I usually do. The song isn't finished, for one thing. Not quite sure when it will be, but it's a process I'm staying more closely involved with than usual. I also have almost no art assets to work with yet. Can't do much until more pieces fall into place. This is a very different type of project than in the past. By which I mainly mean, there's a lot more preplanning than my typical shotgun approach involves.

Some of this planning took place over the last couple weeks. In that time, I also worked on some books which I hope will be real objects soon. And if all this wasn't enough, I somehow squeezed another moving job into the schedule. Nice!

But please to continue to stop by. More things will definitely appear in the news. Perhaps you'd like to refamiliarize yourself with all 6000 pages of MSPA? As a special bonus, for the next 3+ weeks, the 6000th page will loop right back to the very first page! Like a fearsome ouroboros, greedy for its own tail.

I didn't say this was a GREAT bonus. Only that it was SPECIAL.

So we've still got some more time. Although this does seem to promise that the EOA is different than any other flash before it, so I think it's gonna be worth the wait.

Edited by Spin

• 3 weeks later...

EOA flash is currently at 35% completion. Thus sprach Hussie-thura:

^^^ There is a crude progress bar indicating the animation's state of completion, which I may or may not forget to update as I continue to trudge across the Flash timeline. Check back routinely to see if I remembered! It may very well have advanced to the right by several pixels.

Only now, a month into this dreadful content drought, have I begun to achieve what vaguely resembles a stride with this thing. This achievement coincides impeccably with a variety of flu-like symptoms. The invading organisms believe they can slow me down, but they're wrong. I am smarter than all of them combined, and literally a trillion times bigger. There is no contest, really.

We have new products to sell in the WP store. Oh god, you are going to want them. You will want them, and they will disappear from the store faster than anyone can believe. But I will not sell them just yet.

We're fixing some things first. We are getting a few more people on board to ship things, such that they may arrive faster. And getting a better customer support system. We used to have a very shitty support system in place, so naturally we decided to upgrade to an even shittier system. To my understanding, it is currently the software equivalent of writing your query down on a slip of paper, and tucking it under your pillow. So please stay tuned for a new system that hopefully will not hinge on the reliability of nocturnal fairies.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good to see Hussie is still alive, hadn't heard much from him in a while. At least work on the flash is underway, so I think we can expect it by the end of the month.

• 1 month later...

BUMP.

So. The EOA is finally coming tomorrow. It's gonna be a monster, as they've had to sort out alternate hosting for just this flash. I'm probably more excited for this than I should be, but it's going to be epic. Who's ready?

Edited by Spin

Okay there is pretty much no way I could NOT be exited for this.

AFTER 2 MONTHS IT HAD BETTER BE WORTH IT.

But I know it will, so it's all cool.

ALSO IN TF2 I GOT A RECORD OF HEALING A TOTAL OF 413 AS HEAVY, SO NO MORE SANVICHES EVER BECAUSE 413.

I am trying very hard not to overhype it, because I don't want to be disappointed.

But then I remember that this is Homestuck and I'm no longer sure it's possible to be underwhelmed by it, no matter how high my expectations.

Also Hussie's got a tumblr now, to replace his Formspring.

Andrew's made a little update about the flash on his Tumblr. o:

The lowdown on 10/25

Some want to know if I’ll post it at midnight, or later in the day. First thing you should know, as of right now the hosting solution isn’t even a sure thing.

I have something lined up, but haven’t heard from the guy helping me out in a few days. So I’m not sure about the timing on this. I can’t go into more details on the solution than that yet.

I’ve heard many alternative suggestions and will probably continue to. To field a few of them:

1) I’m not going to host it on youtube. Or render it in video format at all. I don’t want it to be a video. I want it to be Flash. If I thought I was going to end up rendering a video, I would have planned the project for video output accordingly. Perhaps used After Effects. It’s a completely different kind of media. This option is not going to happen.

2) You may “know a guy” with hosting to spare, or such. While it’s a nice thought, there’s a 99.99% chance his server can’t handle it. It’s a big file, and there’ll be upwards of 2 million people looking at it at once. This will use more bandwidth in one day than most high traffic comics use in a year. Sorry, but thanks for the offer.

3) Amazon S3, etc? I’ve looked into a bunch of things like this. It’s expensive. Under usual circumstances, it costs several thousand dollars every month to host MSPA. And I’m fine with floating that cost myself, from ad revenue and sales, and making the business side of things work to sustain it. This is a little different. A conservative estimate has the cost at $10K for one day. This is not considering excessive page reloads, the aftershocks of hosting it for the following weeks, or an unanticipated viral explosion beyond the already high expected traffic. Could be anywhere from $10K to $100K to host this one stupid file, which is bankruptcy territory. It’s not worth that to put out a little free entertainment, frankly. If I posted that kind of content for such an audience every month, I’d find some business strategy to make that work. But I’m not there yet. Also, I’m not gonna do some sort of fund drive to finance this either. I’m sure that would produce some results, but it just doesn’t sit well with me as the answer.

So I’m working on more creative alternatives for handling this. I’ll let you know.

edit: Torrenting, megadownloading, etc are in reserve as last resort plans. It would be more ideal to find a way to run on site though. We’ll see.

Edited by Mimiraptor

Update finally arrives.

Reads a few pages, sees that the EOA is on newgrounds.

Gets hyped at the thought of how big this flash will be.

Clicks the link

It doesn't work.

Newgrounds is going under maintenance...

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU