Carbo

Homestuck

well

gotta say

that was a bit disappointing

I mean, okay, they're together in the desert, but what was the point of the whole fused together thing if it went nowhere?

Bleh.

So that sure was the most music videoish and not much plot revealingest ever. DD sure knows how to do things his way.

Prediction: Putting on the ring will prototype Dignitary with EVERYTHING THAT EVER EXISTED instead of nothing like what probably will happen

Edited by Phantomime

So I finally got to getting caught up to speed for this thing. After hearing a lot of mixed results, from either side of the love-hate spectrum, I decided to figure out what exactly all this fuss was about. After finishing it, I thought I'd give what I would call a "review" except I don't think I have the authority to call it a review, what with having red only like two MS paint adventures of any kind.

If you were to tell me to give you the basic description of Homestuck, I'd tell you "A webcomic where bunch of hipsters play a video game, talk with aliens who couldn't type properly to save their lives, and get knee deep in all kinds of shit. Shitloads of people die, some more than others." It kind of explains itself.

Pros:

The not-entirely serious writing mixes comedy and development well. The plot is done in a nice tongue-in-cheek way that builds the worlds fairly well, lets a good view into the antagonist's side of things, and overall gives you a good look on how the game the kids are playing is turning out.

The characterization is very good. Although the cast comprises 60% of hipsters, they're all pretty believable, as far as a mutant catgirl who lives in a cave drawing shipping grids of herself and her friends can be believed. That said, you probably won't necessarily like all these characters, as good as they are. You can grow to like a character, and more likely you will grow to hate a character to the point where you cheer when they die, more when they die again, and even more when they come back alive in a monstrous atrocity and promptly kill themselves.

Subliminal things are commonplace. I can't really get too much into it, other than how great it feels to suddenly have things click together that you didn't even know had to or could be clicked together. And in case you're wondering, it feels great.

The build-up is great all over. It really is. There's always something working toward something bigger. Always. No matter what broad section of the comic you're in, there's at least some development in the story, be it subliminal or plain, which is always building up toward the climax of the next page. Speaking of those types of pages...

pages. Just, fucking, PAGES. They're great. Whenever you see something with that mark, get ready to take in a whole lotta development, and I'm not just talking about a simple "oh, he does this, and it's awesome". No, there's a lot of times where there's so much shit going on, you'll ask yourself "WHY CAN'T I COMPREHEND ALL THESE EVENTS". You may have to rewatch them to fully grasp what the hell is going on, which is good because they are usually fantastic. Unless it's one of THOOOSE pages. You'll know what I mean when you fully watch it.

Cons:

It somewhat changes genre during the comic's run. Imagine you have a carpet. A nice, thick, carpet that reads "ADVENTURE", given to you by Hussie. Suddenly he comes along, swipes the carpet from beneath you, to have you fall on your face on an almost equally thick carpet with "ROMANCE" on it. Prior to a certain point in the comic, there was no real romance in it. It was kind of a typical adventure between kids. And then you get to a certain point, and that point symbolizes getting the carpet yanked from beneath you. This is not good not only in a story-telling way, but also people who have read the comic all the way up to that point may be filtered out by this sudden alien-teen drama, and are really annoyed by it. I understand that it's his comic, and he can really do whatever the hell he wants with it, but I think if he wanted to do this kind of fanbase filtering/ethnic cleansing, he should have at least dropped a hint earlier on that it was going to become what it became.

It beats you over the head with things. And sometimes the things that you WANT to get beat over the head with never really get their chance to do so. Within the first dozen pages of the comic, you are introduced to the Captchalogue. What is a Captchalogue? Read and figure it the fuck out. And then a little more than halfway through the comic, it goes into detail on the Troll sense of romance and their reproductive system TWICE.

Tiny things will drive some people nuts. There's a lot of things in here that annoy the living hell out of people, including but not limited to typing quirks, fidgety animation, the weird sense of irony that everyone seems to have would be used by hipsters, and anti-joke author inserts (while not all of which are bad, I guess some are to be funny in an "ironic" way, which may annoy people even more).

In short, I wouldn't say it is overencumbered by negative traits, and I wouldn't say it's the best thing since sliced bread. Homestuck is a weird series made by a weird man and its ability to attract a lot of people, especially a weird vocal minority, is indeed very weird. It is also weird that even through what would be seen as narrowing the potential fanbase of the comic through many drastic changes, it continues to gain more fans. It has a lot of tiny downfalls and oftentimes the author pulls shit on his own readers, but at the same time it manages to be very enjoyable overall, despite what some would see as droughts of enjoyment due to these negativities. Overall, it surpassed my expectations, which admittedly were below average.

Just my 2 cents on this comic.

Holy shit.

So, it's basically confirmed that uu eventually becomes Lord English? I mean...

He's the X of time. English can time travel.

I think we can safely assume he's the same species as Calliope. And that mayyyyyybe his name starts with Cal as well.

If Calliope's cheekbones are lime spirals, his are most likely red.

This update was a mindfuck so we can will guess SOMEONE is LE because of that.

Remember how Doc Scratch said that to know LE's true name would be to know fear like no other?

That's because saying it lets you meet the other guy.

Nah, but really...

"Still, it might come in handy down the road. Lord English is supposedly indestructible. He's rumored to be killable only through a number of glitches and exploits in spacetime. The doll may ultimately help you work the system if it comes to that."

>glitches and exploits

>calliope, spoken against the rules

>the doll may ultimately help you work the system if it comes to that

It's not Die's doll.

It's Lil' Cal.

A clue towards Calliope, his only weakness.

1339948675359.gif

EDIT: *rummages for more interesting tidbits*

>TG: wait dont tell me youre ACUTALLY from urnanus??

>UU: heehee. no.

>UU: that jUst happened to be a planet from yoUr system i thoUght was lovely.

>UU: i was particUlarly strUck by its UniqUe rotation.

>UU: it has very nice...

>UU: bollocks, what's the word.

>UU: the term that refers to a ball's topspin?

>The Uranian system has a unique configuration among the planets because its axis of rotation is tilted sideways

>glossary of billiard terms

>ENGLISH. (General) Side spin applied to the cue ball by striking it off center; used to alter the natural roll of the cue ball and/or the object ball.

>Cherubism is a rare genetic disorder that causes prominence in the lower portion in the face

>Early Semitic tradition conceived the cherubim as guardians, being devoid of human feelings, and holding a duty both to represent the gods and to guard sanctuaries from intruders

>Calliope is universally depicted as carrying a tablet

>tablet

>fanart

1339955979881.png

Edited by Silva Rymes

The Author's Note was the best part about the update by the way.

Remember how Doc Scratch said that to know LE's true name would be to know fear like no other?

That's because saying it lets you meet the other guy.

Nah, but really...

"Still, it might come in handy down the road. Lord English is supposedly indestructible. He's rumored to be killable only through a number of glitches and exploits in spacetime. The doll may ultimately help you work the system if it comes to that."

>glitches and exploits

>calliope, spoken against the rules

>the doll may ultimately help you work the system if it comes to that

It's not Die's doll.

It's Lil' Cal.

A clue towards Calliope, his only weakness.

1339948675359.gif

EDIT: *rummages for more interesting tidbits*

>TG: wait dont tell me youre ACUTALLY from urnanus??

>UU: heehee. no.

>UU: that jUst happened to be a planet from yoUr system i thoUght was lovely.

>UU: i was particUlarly strUck by its UniqUe rotation.

>UU: it has very nice...

>UU: bollocks, what's the word.

>UU: the term that refers to a ball's topspin?

>The Uranian system has a unique configuration among the planets because its axis of rotation is tilted sideways

>glossary of billiard terms

>ENGLISH. (General) Side spin applied to the cue ball by striking it off center; used to alter the natural roll of the cue ball and/or the object ball.

>Cherubism is a rare genetic disorder that causes prominence in the lower portion in the face

>Early Semitic tradition conceived the cherubim as guardians, being devoid of human feelings, and holding a duty both to represent the gods and to guard sanctuaries from intruders

>Calliope is universally depicted as carrying a tablet

>tablet

>fanart

1339955979881.png

That's great and all but