Awoo.

Yuji Naka's own spiritual successor to NiGHTS is Wii and 3DS bound as Tenkuu no Kishi Rodea!

Hero of Legend

Didn't think we would get a trailer so early.

Well, the game looks nice. I don't like the look of he main character though.

And now I have the vocal song stuck in my head -_-

So, uh, what was up with all of the computery business at the beginning and end of the trailer? It doesn't exactly seem to fit with the game's archaic style. Was there something in the dialogue that I missed that would make that make sense?

Still, the trailer was pretty slick and it had some pretty nice music. I giggled a bit when I heard Rodea's anguished scream at the end, though... again, maybe that was just because I didn't understand any of the dialogue (and there was a lot more of that than I expected, not that that's a bad thing), but it felt like it came out of nowhere after how upbeat and colourful the rest of the trailer was. Still, I'm very intrigued.

I think it looks very fun. As for the tone of the trailer, the scream had to do with the princess being kidnapped. He had failed to rescue her and the scream was one of loss and defeat. The scenes playing out at the end show that. It seems their going for a deeper story.

However, while the machine things seem out of place at first, the more I think about it the more it makes sense to me. While I can't understand the exact context, I am betting there is a reason behind it. I mean, Rodea himself seems to be flying with that mechanical tail-thing he has. His female friend looks like a mechanic and works on a Blimp. The enemies he fights are robots with us seeing one big baddie robot. Even the freaking game logo has gears on it. I am not sure the context but machines are playing a very big role here.

Well Rodea is a robot after all so that probably explains the computer thing.

Famitsu introduces three characters in this issue. First up, Rodea himself. Even though Rodea is facing off against the Naga armies, he himself is a robot from the Naga Empire. He's just been awakened from a 1,000 year slumber, and has lost his memory. Ion, a Garuda girl who loves tinkering with robots, is the one who woke Rodea up. She serves as a support role in the game. Also getting a brief introduction is Cecilia, a Naga Empire princess who 1,000 years back offered her life to save Garuda.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/20/tenku_no_kishi_rodea/

Edited by Torcano

So I was right, she was a mechanic. But got it, so he is a robot and not just his tail thing he is flying with.

So yeah, this whole game is about robots. Given, really cool flying robots. Wonder who the princess is?

Okay I won't even lie this looks pretty fun. I like how he curves when flying, and it looks like it might be a shooter too. The art style of the CGI looks pretty nice also. I'm looking forward to it.

Good Lord. I'm placeing my order right now. What? I can't do that yet? Then I shall watch that trailer over and over again until my eyes melt.

I liked the whole design, although I didn't expect Rodea to be a robot, at least not entirely.

Famitsu introduces three characters in this issue. First up, Rodea himself. Even though Rodea is facing off against the Naga armies, he himself is a robot from the Naga Empire. He's just been awakened from a 1,000 year slumber, and has lost his memory. Ion, a Garuda girl who loves tinkering with robots, is the one who woke Rodea up. She serves as a support role in the game. Also getting a brief introduction is Cecilia, a Naga Empire princess who 1,000 years back offered her life to save Garuda.

This description sounds real familiar...

megaman_zero002.jpg

Plus the mechanic... well, scientist in this case.

I don't really mind it anyway, Mega Man Zero was awesome. And after watching the whole trailer, this game seems to have the same promise to it too. Whether it becomes a great or mediocre game it is a Must Buy for me most likely.

Edited by MickX

Well, Zero wasn't from Neo Arcadia, so he's not exactly fighting against his own kind. Can't say I didn't think of MMZ when I read that quip, though.

Also the game looks alright (even if it's hard to tell what exactly it is you do) but damn the cutscenes are distractingly bad.

Well, that would be the only point amiss I guess. XD

And yeah, I hope that was the 3DS version we've been seeing. If it was Wii footage that lip sync sure looks like fail. Hell, I think even the 3DS could handle more effort in these cutscenes. Hopefully it makes up for some good action and a decent script.

I wonder though. If Rodea flies up in arcs just like that you'll have to do what, shake the 3DS either left or right to do that maneuver? Maybe there are or you obtain other ways to have your character fly about in the air? These arcs look great, but on the long term I suppose they can become a bit much of a nuisance as they seem to lack that flight precision you need when going for the highest score or something.

Edited by MickX

I'm not talking about the lip-syncing. I'm talking about everything. Just fucking look at it, how the characters move around like ragdolls with pointless arm gestures and their blank stares. God I hate it when games try imitating anime in CG cutscenes.

This game looks like something Naka would do, I dunno what it is but it's almost Sonic feeling. Seeing green floating terrain? The forward movement and side-dashes of the character? The almost NiGHTS concept of a character in flight? The way the shooting reminds me of Gamma in the sky? The trailer reminds me of Sonic Adventure and Dreamcast games.

Thanks me later after I finish banging my head against the wall from all the WORK I had to do. Read the vid's description.

Thanks, HoL. :P

The cutscenes really do look kind of crappy, don't they? I think the thing that bothers me the most is that they're such a miniscule improvement over the in-game graphics that they almost look worse with the knowledge that they're pre-rendered. Maybe doing most of the cutscenes in in-game graphics and saving the CG budget for a single actually good-looking cutscene might have been a better idea. Still, I can overlook that kind of thing if the story itself (or, y'know, the gameplay) is actually okay. When this was first announced I wasn't expecting much in the way of story anyway, so I'll take what I can get.

Do the cutscenes really look that bad to you guys? Though while they look a little Dreamcast era ish I think they look fine .

They look like they're from the freaking PlayStation 1. The movement of the characters is just really, really bad, not to mention the vapid expressions on their faces. Like I said, they're just trying to do anime style in game cutscenes. And yes I find this really bothersome, even though I have no real complaint about everything else I've seen in that first trailer.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What would be the point of releasing it on the Wii now?

The 3DS is extremely successful, but the Wii is kinda dead right now.

My hype....just sky rocketed right now I seriously hope this comes to Europe/UK, been wanting this game for a long time now :D

Best idea is to do with the Wii version is to change it for for Wii U ? 

Edited by Shaddix Leto Croft
  • Thumbs Up 1

So where's that Wii version god dammit?

In 2011, when there was actually a point in its existence.

• Thumbs Up 2