Awoo.

Shadow and Omega in Sonic 06

Blazey Firekitty

Okay, so Sonic 2006's story states that(Before most of the events of that game were wiped from time, anyway) that humanity would turn on Shadow, perceiving him to be a threat, and that Omega would imprison him.

What I don't understand is why Omega would attack Shadow. He seems to emotionally wounded on some level after Mephiles reveals the future to him, so why do he, Rouge, and Shadow still treat the imprisonment as if it's destined to happened. Does Omega get reprogrammed/brainwashed? Did GUN threaten to kill him if he didn't seal Shadow away? I just don't get why Omega would go along with the human's wishes unless he was absolutely forced to, given that he knows Shadow is not a threat, and knows that any retaliation against humanity would be in self-defense.

I'm pretty sure Omega would have been reprogrammed to do GUN's bidding. Here's another theory though.

When Omega was speaking to both Rouge and Shadow about it, he had no hesitation saying how if something became to powerful, it became the enemy. Maybe Omega actually slightly agrees with it, because he never says anything to try to disagree with it. He might've been mad at Mephiles because Mephiles was making it out like a horrible sinful thing. But then again, Omega's a robot, and his character made him seem like more of a robot determined to complete a mission then a robot with feelings. Maybe Omega wasn't designed to say things like sorry.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, so Sonic 2006's story states that(Before most of the events of that game were wiped from time, anyway) that humanity would turn on Shadow, perceiving him to be a threat, and that Omega would imprison him.

What I don't understand is why Omega would attack Shadow. He seems to emotionally wounded on some level after Mephiles reveals the future to him, so why do he, Rouge, and Shadow still treat the imprisonment as if it's destined to happened. Does Omega get reprogrammed/brainwashed? Did GUN threaten to kill him if he didn't seal Shadow away? I just don't get why Omega would go along with the human's wishes unless he was absolutely forced to, given that he knows Shadow is not a threat, and knows that any retaliation against humanity would be in self-defense.

I've said before that I love Shadow's story in 06, if only because of the storyline's its juxtapositioned with. But even with all that, the characterization was really just fantastic. Fine, Mephiles is a recolor, at least when he takes form, but it works because he works as a foil and "mirror" to Shadow's character, representing what Shadow would've become had stayed on the path of revenge rather than change his ways. But I have to agree that its biggest downfall is the missing pieces that it seems to ignore. Still, though where did Mephiles come from and what's his motivation? What would cause Omega to betray Shadow? Is this inevitable to Shadow or is it just his fate in that timeline?

I'd like some of it to be elaborated on in the future, at least under the circumstance that it WOULD NOT create any more god damn by the jesus plotholes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I think the whole 'plot twist' of "Oh yah Shadow, BTW I'm the one who imprisons you in the future" just feels totally pointless and forced. It feels like fake drama for the sake of drama, especially considering it has absolutely no bearing on the plot at large. =/

Personally, I think the whole 'plot twist' of "Oh yah Shadow, BTW I'm the one who imprisons you in the future" just feels totally pointless and forced. It feels like fake drama for the sake of drama, especially considering it has absolutely no bearing on the plot at large. =/

Not to mention the plot was erased at the end, making the whole drama-soaked story and the game itself feel completely pointless.

Honestly, anything that happened in 06 will probably never be mentioned again.

Edited by Schismatist

I'm starting to think they erased the game from history near the end when they realized the plotholes in it. Maybe they at least knew they were there. :lol:

I'm starting to think they erased the game from history near the end when they realized the plotholes in it. Maybe they at least knew they were there. :lol:

And it was the only smart thing they did with this game. :lol:

I'd say it's probably not worth it to try to make sense out of Sonic 06's storyline. The more you think about it, the more confused you'll become.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd say it's probably not worth it to try to make sense out of Sonic 06's storyline. The more you think about it, the more confused you'll become.

Eh, I don't think the story is THAT broken. In my opinion, the only real broken parts about it is Blaze's storyline. Now that is where they truly messed up. I think everything else is okay for the most part.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mephiles' plan was also unnecessarily complicated. They probably could have cleared that up by saying he could only merge with Iblis if it was released the "correct" way (Elise's tears) to explain why he didn't just go back to the moment of the Egg Carrier exploding.

But yeah, other than that and the issue with Blaze, the only real problem with the story is the Timey Wimey Ball.

Because the plot demands it.

Alternative answer:

It's Sonic 2006.

Seriously. What the f*** did you expect?

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Still, though where did Mephiles come from and what's his motivation?

I'd like some of it to be elaborated on in the future, at least under the circumstance that it WOULD NOT create any more god damn by the jesus plotholes.

Mephiles is part of the essence of Solaris. We see during the sequence where Shadow and Silver go back in time that experimentation was being done on Solaris, to utilize it's time-warping properties, and Solaris reacts violently, exploding and separating into two parts. One part of the lava mass known as Iblis, which is sealed in Elise. The other is the dark shadow known as Mephiles, who Shadow seals in the scepter.

Iblis is Solaris' pure power and destruction; it is a beast with no agenda. Mephiles is the dark heart of Solaris, the soul that was spurned by the Kingdom and vowed revenge for its misuse and imprisonment. Iblis runs free and wild, while Mephiles sets into motion the events that will bring himself and the flames together to form Solaris once more. We aren't given an explanation as to why Solaris has been sealed in a single flame, but we can assume that it was not by its own will. It is a god that was eons ago sealed, tampered with by a foolish King in an attempt to achieve powers beyond mortal limits, and which now wishes to set all back to zero.

Yes, yes, I get that much, but my question is why would Mephiles WANT to destroy reality, not just the kingdom? It's just not very clearly explained. I mean, he's a beast that literally eats dimensions, I'm just saying that if that's the case, the target of his revenge is vastly overscoped.

Yes, yes, I get that much, but my question is why would Mephiles WANT to destroy reality, not just the kingdom? It's just not very clearly explained. I mean, he's a beast that literally eats dimensions, I'm just saying that if that's the case, the target of his revenge is vastly overscoped.

I think Mephiles only knows destruction, kinda like Iblis. Like, they both have different powers and stuff, but they're still kinda the same person aren't they? Eh, i don't know, to be honest, all that really needs to be known is that he's bad news, although an explanation only adds to the plot.

It's quite an epic plot, actually. Though there are a couple plot holes in there; the biggest one being Elises chaos emerald somehow staying with her from childhood to adulthood, despite all 7 chaos emeralds being collected in oh, every Sonic game prior.

That's actually one of the few things in the game that isn't a plot hole. It's a time loop, and it shows up a lot in time travel stories. Basically, Elise had the blue emerald since childhood through a predetermined time paradox. This version of the emerald was isolated from the others the entire time.

The problem with that, though, is that other parts of the story imply there are no predetermined events and that the past can be changed. The game doesn't really have a single stance on the nature of time travel, which is part of the reason the story is a mess.

Edited by AXB

Because he's evil, that's why.

Motivation? Goal? Never heard of them. Being randomly omnicidal is what all the cool guys do. It's just the phase that the young teen Mephy is going through. (Unless the goal is 100% revenge-based... the other popular trend.)

Or he was, but then SEGA wised up and erased him from existence.

...Only for fanfiction to constantly ignore it and find some loophole of the existence-erasing rule (read: half-assed plot devices) and bring him back to life anyway. Damn it.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Even Black Doom, the poster boy for generic evil overlord villains, had a reasonably understandable motivation. He wanted to use Earth's life to feed his offspring.

Omega spent a ton of time in sleep mode in 06, so perhaps someone got a hold of his body while he was out. Tons of possibilities when your dealing with a machine.

That's actually one of the few things in the game that isn't a plot hole. It's a time loop, and it shows up a lot in time travel stories. Basically, Elise had the blue emerald since childhood through a predetermined time paradox. This version of the emerald was isolated from the others the entire time.

The problem with that, though, is that other parts of the story imply there are no predetermined events and that the past can be changed. The game doesn't really have a single stance on the nature of time travel, which is part of the reason the story is a mess.

To me it seemed that the storyline took a clear stance on the ability to change the past, but the characters themselves are where the the differences appeared. Sonic and Silver took it upon themselves to try and change the past and succeeded in creating alternate tangents. Shadow on the other hand neglected an opportunity to change the past, and left the scepter of darkness behind.

Beyond character choice, were were the rules of timetravel screwed up?

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Everyone's straying a bit from the topic, so I'll get back to your questions. :P

As Mephiles said, Omega was "reprogrammed by humanity" to capture Shadow, since he was perceived as a threat on account of being an extremely powerful entity in a time of crisis, and that became an excuse to hunt him out of fear, despite all the good he had done.

I think that wasn't a random development at all, it was actually an extremely nice touch: Omega, as stated by Mephiles, was indeed created to "stop Shadow" (by Eggman, in case he escaped from his pod), so it's not farfetched for humanity to use him to deal with Shadow.

And the irony is that Shadow was just informed of his destiny by Mephiles in a previous cutscene, and now he learns that one of the very few people he could still consider a true friend will be the one who seals him, leading to the very dramatic cutscene of Omega's confession, which I consider one of the best in any Sonic game to date; never before the members of a team had such an emotional interaction.

While Sonic's and Silver's stories in 06 went from out-of-character to just plain confusing, I think Shadow's story was very well thought out and one of the pinnacles of the series; this episode is just one of the many memorable moments it had.

Edited by ilcane87
  • Thumbs Up 2

Even Black Doom, the poster boy for generic evil overlord villains, had a reasonably understandable motivation. He wanted to use Earth's life to feed his offspring.

Everyone's straying a bit from the topic, so I'll get back to your questions. :P

As Mephiles said, Omega was "reprogrammed by humanity" to capture Shadow, since he was perceived as a threat on account of being an extremely powerful entity in a time of crisis, and that became an excuse to hunt him out of fear, despite all the good he had done.

I think that wasn't a random development at all, it was actually an extremely nice touch: Omega, as stated by Mephiles, was indeed created to "stop Shadow" (by Eggman, in case he escaped from his pod), so it's not farfetched for humanity to use him to deal with Shadow.

And the irony is that Shadow was just informed of his destiny by Mephiles in a previous cutscene, and now he learns that one of the very few people he could still consider a true friend will be the one who seals him, leading to the very dramatic cutscene of Omega's confession, which I consider one of the best in any Sonic game to date; never before the members of a team had such an emotional interaction.

While Sonic's and Silver's stories in 06 went from out-of-character to just plain confusing, I think Shadow's story was very well thought out and one of the pinnacles of the series; this episode is just one of the many memorable moments it had.

I gotta agree. I LOVED that moment. And to see Shadow still fight for good after all of that is just another reason why he has to be one of my most favorite characters in the series. I think Shadow is just the perfect character to make very deep moments like that around, while other characters like Sonic feel kinda out of place in those kind of moments, 06 being a good example.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really like the cutscene Omega's confession too. I felt there was real character development around Team Dark in Sonic '06, and that it was a waste to do a time reset and cancel everything at the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not a fan of any of the stories in ‘06 but I do think this one had some potential [/opinion]

From a story telling point of view I actually think that Rouge should have been the one to make the hard decision instead of “humanity”. Not because she needed the spot light or any thing, but because I think it would have been a twist with build up as well as one that would add some depth to the plot;

It's debatable whether or not the character Shadow would be able to do the right thing in the event of a true crisis. All of his problems have been simply resolved by kicking the tar out of some cackling evil genius or a giant anal lizard.

Also a good chunk of the '06 story arc was spent establishing that Rouge knows him better than anyone else to the extent that she can predict what he needs before he needs it. By Rouge deciding that Shadow needs to be tossed in a freezer, it leads to the idea that fighting could not solve the problem for once, and that this might have been the only way to protect him as well as save the most lives at a time when people are frantic. I'd take that over "because hoomanz caught teh evuls."