Awoo.

Ripoff Games

AdventChild

Like with movies, video games can suffer from plagiarism as well obviously. Video game ripoffs of course, plagiarize or steal concepts from a game or a number of games and bring it all together in one package. Though I don't know why some of these countries don't just port games into their own countries. Here we talk about and showcase many video game ripoffs that would make you think the Asylum or Video Brinquedo had their own secret video game division.

It's like they blended SMG and Spyro in a blender to create this easily ripoff. Heck they even added Klonoa audio in the mix as well. Though it surprises me that the quality of this kind of copy cat game would be pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Spj0wYEqQ

Here's another ripoff but a bit subtle one. Though it is pretty much Team Fortress 2 with Japanese girls or Haruhi Suzumiya and looks like it takes place in Andy's room from Toy Story. Also, it is produce by a Korean company called TRI-FORCE. Gee, where have I heard that before? <_<

Got any games to offer?

Edited by AdventChild
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hahahahaha! That Galaxy rip-off can't even pretend to be halfway original. It looks like a somewhat decent rip-off game to be honest, but still. It's hilarious.

I've been reading up lately that Capcom ripped off Twisted Pixel's game 'Splosion man with a game named ...wait for it.....

MaXplosion *boom*

Read the Description for the game from it's IOS app page

MaXplosion is a pick up and play platformer that challenges you to escape the clutches of the nefarious M.A.D. (Ministry of All Destruction) organization. Fortunately, as Max you have the ability to explode at will allowing you to “bounce” off surfaces and reach far flung locations. Max’s predilection to explode also comes in remarkably handy as an offensive weapon against the M.A.D. scientists and evil minions attempting to thwart your escape.

Fun Fact: Originally Twisted Pixel went to pitch 'Splosion Man to Capcom about the game but got rejected.

Edited by Shaddix Nukem
  • Thumbs Up 1

Does anybody else remember when Sega sued Fox because The Simpsons: Road Rage was such a blatent clone of Crazy Taxi?. According to Wikipedia it was settled out of court, but I do wonder just how much that ended up costing Fox.

If anything, I'm surprised that didn't set more of a legal precedent with this Splosion Man case.

The other day I learned that Michael Jackson: The Experience for the DS uses the exact same gameplay as Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents... except it's developed by Triumph International and not iNiS. The sliders and even the spinners are all there. Hmm.

Wow. For a Sonic board I thought people would be jumping all over this rip-off immediately:

(playthough of the horrid little game shame on his channel.)

This game not only rips on Sonic and Dr. Robotnik, but bastardizes the game. It literally shoves the concept of environmentalism down the player's throat.

Also the packaged game came with a comic insert in the manual, but I have never seen it to judge how much further this storyline uses elements that plagiarizes Sonic.

Hey guys! Your forgetting one of our beloved games was one.

Super Mario Brothers 2. Yes, that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrL3Jc0isF0

Japan got the real Super Mario Bros. 2 while elsewhere we got the Super Mario Bros. 2 we now know today. But it was nothing more than a redesign of a game called Doki Doki Panic. The original (now known as the Lost Levels) is more like the original Super Mario Bros. and it was deemed to hard so we got this game. It may came from another source but I personally love it regardless. It did start out Luigi's development so he would be less of a Mario clone. :P

Oh and don't forget Bayonetta and Bullet Witch

Edited by Crow the BOOLET

^ That's not necessarily a rip-off, SEGA did the same with Puyo Pop by turning it into Mean Bean Machine for the American release.

A true rip-off would have to be Sonic at the Olympic Games, obviously Nintendo didn't want Mario appearing in an iPhone game so SEGA went ahead and whored out the game anyway without any participation from Nintendo. OBVIOUSLY it didn't happen exactly like that but I'd like to think it did xD.

*Mario Galaxy ripoff*

It's like they blended SMG and Spyro in a blender to create this easily ripoff. Heck they even added Klonoa audio in the mix as well. Though it surprises me that the quality of this kind of copy cat game would be pretty good.

*sits in corner*

I uploaded that video. Though, to my retrospective regret, under an alt. account made back when I was suspended because Hit Entertainment was not approving of Pingu sound effects in stinkin' MUGEN. (I ended up using the fan art argument Capcom notes in regards to MUGEN against them and 'twas then unsuspended.)

Oh, back on topic:

=

Yeah, nice going with your evergrowing ripping streak, Gamel---- wait, that's Capcom not Gameloft?

The original (now known as the Lost Levels) is more like the original Super Mario Bros. and it was deemed to hard so we got this game.

That's being kind. It is more like a sprite hack of the original.

Fun fact: Miyamoto was involved more in the development of the original Doki Doki Panic than he was with Lost Levels.

It did start out Luigi's development so he would be less of a Mario clone. :P

I think this actually happened in Lost Levels, and Super Mario 2 only accentuated it.

This one is somewhat known, considering that Lando here knows of it:

This is actually somewhat ironic, because the original Great Giana Sisters was such a blatant ripoff of the original SMB that Nintendo successfully sued to have it removed from U.S. shelves. The DS game is actually a sort-of remake of it.

My contribution to this thread:

Breakers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oYn6Qq-jeY

Tremble in fear as not Chun Li fights not Laurence Blood by using such imaginative moves as the not Psycho Crusher and the not Shoryuken. Or the second match where not Fei Long fights not Ryo Sakazaki, using a repertoire of original moves not seen previously with Terry and Andy Bogard.

I mean, I love Fatal Fury Special and Street Fighter II as much as the next guy, but I think it is a bit extreme to be ripping them off so thoroughly 3 years after it stopped being popular to do so. Its supposedly a pretty good game, but... so are Street Fighter II and Fatal Fury Special.

And by the way, despite what it appears to be, I am not actually here on the forum. It is only your imaginations.

The Great Giana Sisters DS games has some nice music. But dammit, Tornado, who isn't here, beat me to what I was going to say.

Pictures of the original to show how much of a ripoff it was:

great-giana-sisters.jpg

great_giana_1.jpg

From what I hear, it was a good ripoff, though.

Edited by marcellof

Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis. That is all.

Wait what ?

How does Sonic Genesis rip off Sonic 1 because since it's the same game ?

Sonic 1 GBA

2581b.png

Sonic 1 Mega Drive

SonicTheHedgehog1.png

Edited by Shaddix Nukem

Tornado Outbreak, a blatant knockoff of a certain game about a tiny prince rebuilding galaxies in the wake of his father's drunken exploits.

Edited by BatGuy

Wait what ?

How does Sonic Genesis rip off Sonic 1 because since it's the same game ?

Sonic 1 GBA

2581b.png

Sonic 1 Mega Drive

SonicTheHedgehog1.png

Dude! I think it was a joke! :o

....or because it's a rip-off of it's own game that it's meant to be a port of, it went off, creating an alternate 2006, where the game sucks ass and we have another sonic game on the xbox simply called "Sonic the Hedgehog" too :o D:

but since that game incorporates time travel, it's like they wanted me to think of the paragraph above, like they just *shot*.......

Yeah....Paradox FTW

Edited by spartan-666

I see your Crystal Monsters and raise it to Robopon.

I actually had the chance to get this unusual game once due to it's scarcity, but I never did. I wonder if the game shop still has it though?

Also see Sonic Shuffle, which in it's irony was in fact developed by Mario Party's Hudson Soft and if I am not mistaken, also had some of the Mario Party ex-developers work on the game mechanics.

Edited by Kintobor