Awoo.

Which criticisms towards the series do you disagree with?

Chaosmaster8753

Um, not that I agree with their being too many characters, but exactly how often does Mario use its larger cast of characters that you claim? They hardly go beyond Mario, Bowser, Luigi, and Peach as the primary characters in its series.

Do the RPG's count in this case?

Do the RPG's count in this case?

Maybe. Although I haven't played any beyond the Paper Mario series.

Even still, it isn't a larger cast than Sonic so long as it's about the recurring characters.

I disagree when people say that there are too many characters.

I disagree when people say that every character should play the same as Sonic.

I disagree when people say that Sonic can't have serious storylines.

i agree with EVERYTHING you said, esspeciall the storyline one... i mean look at SA2 with eggman's grandfather being killed by firing sqaud... even my parents were interested with the story from time to time, that's how franchises like this survive... they SHOULD grow with their fans

I disagree with the saying that Sonic games suck just because of the fact that other characters are even present. I think IGN docked point from generations just because Cream was there. Seriously? Talk about unprofessional.

Also, "Sonic doesn't need a story. He just need to run through loops and collect rings" yeah, bullshit. Would you belive me if I said there was even a song about this? Complain about cutscenes and VAs if you want but not for the simple fact that it has a story. Japanese manuals IIRC, had a more detailed story too for the genesis game that spread beyond a blue guy that collects gold rings and fights an obese guy.

yeah and if they dont want story... just skip the cutscenes lmao simple

You know what really gets on my nerves?

When people judge the content and quality of the game series by things other than the games.

This leads to people complaining "Sonic is crap now they completely got rid of the cast there is no Sally or anything."

You watched an old cartoon about Sonic, and now you are wondering why the original storyline, which that cartoon was derived from is not like the old cartoon?

If a cartoon is not like the material it's derived from, blame the cartoon. (I don't think satAm is necessarily wrong for it's ideas on characterisation and characters, it would have had to have pretty original characters and characterisations with how little it had to work with,but the world and mythos of the planet SatAm is set on is clearly not the same and I have a bone to pick with it for that)

I also remember someone complaining that Sonic was a selfish prat that went through girls like he did Chilli dogs, yeah, don't get your information on the games from a comic...

Actually, any criticism Sonic is a Jerkass, when I find criticism that he's too 'average nice everyguy' mroe sympathetic, as he's actually been there.

In Sonic 06 his name should have been changed to Mr.Every McAverage.

(In fact, another criticism I don't agree with would be Sonic being jerk in 06, I don't get it, I take one look at him and see domesticated and mundane, if he was jerk at least it would have been something)

Edited by Mysterics

(In fact, another criticism I don't agree with would be Sonic being jerk in 06, I don't get it, I take one look at him and see a domesticated,mundane mary sue, if he was jerk at least it would have been something)

HAH!

The last thing Sonic would ever be in 06 is a Mary Sue. He's probably the most misused and mistreated character in the entire game.

Edited by Xenos
  • Thumbs Up 5

HAH!

The last thing Sonic would ever be in 06 is a Mary Sue. He's probably the most misused and mistreated character in the entire game.

HAH!

The last thing Sonic would ever be in 06 is a Mary Sue. He IS the most misused and mistreated character in the entire game.

Corrected.

You know something is seriously conceptually wrong with a Sonic games' plot when even the plot itself makes the title character it's bitch. And considering Shadow's shameless role leeching and spotlight stealing in addition to it's lulzy brand of seriousness, a more apt title for the game would've been "Shadow the Hedgehog 2" rather than "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG"

• Thumbs Up 2

The game could actually moreso about Silver than it was about Shadow tho. Shadow mainly dealt with the main villain that was trying to convince him to destroy the world again and then proceeded to seal him, and all their interactions were mainly about either how Shadow should join him or how he would be sealed by humans.

Silver on the other hand was manipulated and sent after Sonic believing that he was the cause of his ruined future, and while he didn't fight the mastermind he interacted with him about as much as Shadow did. Silver was involved with both the main mastermind AND the main threat that all 3 heroes were trying to prevent, while Shadow was only involved with half of that, and Sonic was completely in the dark in his goose chase with Elise.

I'm not going to say that Shadow didn't steal any of Sonic's spotlight, but let's give credit where it's due, shall we? Silver deserves as much of the brunt as Shadow does.

• Thumbs Up 5

The notion that fancharacters suck. Some are horrid, but a few are pretty neat. Even Digimon-like ones can be decent.

The notion that fancharacters suck. MOST are horrid and UNINSPIRED, but a few are pretty neat. Even Digimon-like ones can be decent.

fix'd but i agree some FC's are almost capable of being OC's.

The game could actually moreso about Silver than it was about Shadow tho. Shadow mainly dealt with the main villain that was trying to convince him to destroy the world again and then proceeded to seal him, and all their interactions were mainly about either how Shadow should join him or how he would be sealed by humans.

Silver on the other hand was manipulated and sent after Sonic believing that he was the cause of his ruined future, and while he didn't fight the mastermind he interacted with him about as much as Shadow did. Silver was involved with both the main mastermind AND the main threat that all 3 heroes were trying to prevent, while Shadow was only involved with half of that, and Sonic was completely in the dark in his goose chase with Elise.

I'm not going to say that Shadow didn't steal any of Sonic's spotlight, but let's give credit where it's due, shall we? Silver deserves as much of the brunt as Shadow does.

When I think about it... Fanbase actually wanted it! After ShTH fanbase wanted light story but some fans still wanted serious story so here you go. Sonic has simple story about dealing with EGGMAN and saving the Princess while Shadow and Silver get darker side of the story. I don't know what's the problem here. For me 06 is the only game that used it's whole cast in a good way. Meaning none of characters feelt shoehorned except for maybe Knuckles.

None of the characters were used correctley and 75% of the cast felt like they had no purpose.

None of the characters were used correctley and 75% of the cast felt like they had no purpose.

Explain each character then.

Explain each character then.

The only characters who do anything plot related are Team Dark, Silver, and arguably Blaze. Sonic is as pointed out, useless, Tails or Knuckeles don't contribute much of anything, Amy has a few scenes but is still mostly irrelevant, Eggman does nothing noteworthy, and Blaze is mostly there just to talk to Silver.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge
  • Thumbs Up 1

Corrected.

You know something is seriously conceptually wrong with a Sonic games' plot when even the plot itself makes the title character it's bitch. And considering Shadow's shameless role leeching and spotlight stealing in addition to it's lulzy brand of seriousness, a more apt title for the game would've been "Shadow the Hedgehog 2" rather than "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG"

Criticisms towards the series I disagree with? The notion that Colours is a Mario Galaxy rip-off. What a crock load of shit. Going by the average Mario fanboy's logic who spurts this, Mario single-handedly pioneered;

- Orchestral soundtracks in a videogame.

- Form-changing power-up's in a videogame.

- A theme of traveling to other areas in space.

All of this is false. The two Galaxy games are NOT unique and brilliant in the respect that it utilized those three aspects and Mario did not 'pioneer' any of those aspects, therefore undeserving of any exclusive claim to such ideas. So stop labelling videogames that use all of the above as Mario Galaxy rip-off's on principle.

And let's not forgot, Sonic Adventure 2, which came out a whole six years before Galaxy had Mad Space, where you had the whole planet walking sthick. Oh, and all the Ark stages took place in space as well. Not saying that Sonic pioneered any of those aspects as well, because it didn't, but I'm sure you get my point here.

Mario kinda did pioneer that second one. Even if he didn't, he's the most well-known for it.

If anyone says Sonic Colors is ripping Mario Galaxy because it's in space, they're an idiot and if you take the time to write a post about their stupid, meaningless opinion then you need to re-examine the things you'll write a few paragraphs about.

Also, Sonic Colors had barely any orchestral music. It was pieces of one of three tracks.

ALSO also, plurals don't use apostrophes.

Sonic Colors may have had a great soundtrack, but Galaxy blows it out of the water like Secondhand freakin' Lions.

• 1 month later...

"Get rid of everyone except Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Robotnik, get rid of the voices, and make it 2D"

I find that extremely hypocritical. Amy was around back in Sonic CD, Shadow and Rouge were in SA2, Blaze was in Sonic Rush, Cream was in Sonic Advance 2, and the Chaotix were in Knuckles Chaotix. You loved those games! Why trash them?

Edited by miru
  • Thumbs Up 1

You loved those games!
Maybe they didn't.

Or maybe they liked those games in spite of the characters rather than because of them.

e: Also Cream wasn't in the first Advance, which is arguably the best of the three.

Edited by Diogenes

"Get rid of everyone except Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Robotnik, get rid of the voices, and make it 2D"

I find that extremely hypocritical. Amy was around back in Sonic CD, Shadow and Rouge were in SA2, Blaze was in Sonic Rush, Cream was in Sonic Advance, and the Chaotix were in Knuckles Chaotix. You loved those games! Why trash them?

You can like the game without liking the character's, bro.

I find that extremely hypocritical. Amy was around back in Sonic CD, Shadow and Rouge were in SA2, Blaze was in Sonic Rush, Cream was in Sonic Advance, and the Chaotix were in Knuckles Chaotix. You loved those games! Why trash them?

Cream was in Sonic Advance? Well I'll be damned.

the complaints regarding that there are too many characters are annoying. The critics should be saying that there are too many characters that aren't doing anything. As people have said, if they were used to their full potential, they'd be half decent characters, but unfortunately the critics don't have enough common sense to realise this. They just want them to be removed so they're not reminded of how horrible they think they are.

I think that having a 2D sub-series and a 3D sub-series is a good idea (even though the 2D games are lacking) and I can't stand it when critics bash and request extermination of one or the other, whether it be 3D because "BAWW SANIC DUZNT WURK IN THREEDEE!" or 2D because people think it's too old-fashioned.

Regarding people blaming the downward spiral on the move to 3D, and Sonic Adventure, I think it's more unjustified than justified. Sonic Adventure did get good critical reception when new, true, but I will admit that some things, mainly the genre roulette, hasn't really stood the test of time. However, I still have fun with Sonic and Tails' levels, and get some enjoyment out of most of the other characters' levels. Critics seem to think the series went down simply because the games went 3D. With some game franchises, such a statement is justified, but Sonic Adventure didn't suffer from having a third dimension. Sonic's levels in Sonic Adventure are some of my favourite sonic levels in the series and yet it seems that they've done less to make sure the series works in 3D than most other games, because the Classic Sonic physics are well attempted, the momentum is intact, among other things.

Also people claiming that Sonic isn't as good now partly due to him losing his "cool and edgy" attitude he displayed (or rather, displayed everywhere except for in the actual games) in the 90's. For one thing, Sonic's only personality trait in the early games was impatience, which has been something of a mainstay ever since, and if he had the early 90's style "attitude" then the same people (and I) would be complaining that Sonic is cringe-inducingly old-fashioned.

Oh, and people complaining that the Sonic fanbase is constantly complaining. I think our behaviour is more than justified after years of fan disservice.

The "BAWWW GREEN EYES" doesn't irk me as much but that's mainly due to the fact that I don't really hear people complain about it anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

Criticisms towards the series I disagree with? The notion that Colours is a Mario Galaxy rip-off. What a crock load of shit. Going by the average Mario fanboy's logic who spurts this, Mario single-handedly pioneered;

All of this is false. The two Galaxy games are NOT unique and brilliant in the respect that it utilized those three aspects and Mario did not 'pioneer' any of those aspects, therefore undeserving of any exclusive claim to such ideas. So stop labelling videogames that use all of the above as Mario Galaxy rip-off's on principle.

I'm sensing some hostility here. I thought it was clear that anyone labeling Unleashed or Colors as Galaxy rip-offs were to be immediately ignored/skewered?