photo2so.jpg

photo3pn.jpg

photo4nz.jpg

photo5el.jpg

photo6jw.jpg

photo7k.jpg

Developer support list: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/rele...0127a_list.pdf

JAPAN

ACQUIRE Corp. ALVION Inc. AQ INTERACTIVE INC. ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co.,Ltd. ARIKA CO.,LTD. ARTDINK CORPORATION ASCII MEDIA WORKS Inc. CAPCOM CO., LTD. CHUN SOFT CO., Ltd Codemasters Software Company Limited Crafts & Meister Co.,Ltd. CyberConnect2 Co.,Ltd. D3 PUBLISHER Inc. Dimps Corporation Edia Co., Ltd. ENTERBRAIN, INC. FromSoftware, Inc Gameloft K.K. Genki Co.,Ltd. Grasshopper Manufacture Inc. GungHo Online Entertainment,Inc GUST CO.,LTD. HAMSTER Corporation HUDSON SOFT CO., LTD. IDEA FACTORY CO., LTD. Index Corporation(Atlus) IREM SOFTWARE ENGINEERING INC. KADOKAWA GAMES,LTD. Kadokawa Shoten Publishing Co., Ltd. Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. LEVEL-5 Inc. Marvelous Entertainment Inc. media5 Corporation NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc. Nihon Falcom Corporation Nippon Ichi Software, Inc. NOWPRODUCTION, CO.,LTD Q Entertainment Inc. SEGA CORPORATION SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION Spike Co.,Ltd SQUARE ENIX Co., Ltd. SystemSoft Alpha Corp. TECMO KOEI GAMES CO., LTD. TOMY Company,Ltd. TOSE CO., LTD. Ubisoft K.K. YUKE’S Co., Ltd.

NA

Activision, Inc. Capybara Games Demiurge Studios Epic Games Inc. Far Sight Studios Frima High Voltage Software Kung Fu Factory Paramount Digital Entertainment PopCap Games Powerhead Games Trendy Entertainment Ubisoft® Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment 2K Games 2K Sports

EU

Avalanche Studios Climax Studios Ltd Codemasters Software Company Ltd Eurocom Developments Ltd Eutechnyx Ltd Exient Ltd Firemint PTY Ltd Gameloft SA Gusto Games Ltd Home Entertainment Suppliers PTY Ltd Impromptu Software Ltd Rebellion® Rockstar Games Sidhe Interactive Sumo Digital Ltd Team 17 Software Ltd Ubisoft Entertainment SA Zen Studios Ltd

Pics from the conference:

ngp1.png

ngp2.png

psp2uisam12702.jpg

sony-tokyo-event-1473.jpg

sony-tokyo-event-1511.jpg

mgsngp.png

sony-tokyo-event-1567.jpg

ngp3.png

Tokyo, January 27, 2011 - Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced its next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP), which delivers the ultimate portable entertainment experience. NGP will make its debut at the end of the year 2011.

NGP is designed to offer unparalleled interactive entertainment that is only possible on PlayStation®. This new system offers a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context, made possible by leveraging SCE's experience from both PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) and PlayStation®3 (PS3®) entertainment systems.

Deep and immersive gaming is at the core of PlayStation's DNA, and NGP is the latest embodiment of this vision. By having both Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity, together with various applications, NGP will enable infinite possibilities for users to "encounter," "connect," "discover," "share" and "play" with friends wherever they are. Within the device are a range of features that provide a genuinely cutting-edge, next generation ultimate portable entertainment experience.

* l Stunning OLED and Revolutionary User Interface

NGP incorporates a beautiful multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting display (OLED) as the front display. A high-performance CPU / GPU combined with OLED enables rich, visually striking graphics never seen before on a portable entertainment system, for both games and other digital entertainment content. The new system also incorporates a unique multi-touch pad on the rear, and together with the front touch display, NGP offers new game play allowing users to interact directly with games in three dimension-like motion, through "touch, grab, trace, push and pull" moves of the fingers.

* l Super Oval Design and Dual Analog Sticks

While succeeding the basic design philosophy of PSP, NGP adopts the Super Oval Design form factor, created to fit comfortably in users' hands. For the first time, a portable entertainment system will feature two analog sticks, which enable a wider range of game genres to be brought into the portable experience.

* l LiveAreaTM

Every game title for NGP will be provided with a space called "LiveAreaTM" where users can share the fun and excitement with other players. Users will have access to the latest information of games provided from SCE and 3rd party developers and publishers through PlayStation®Network. Additionally, NGP users will be able to view an "Activity" log that is constantly updated with accomplishments from users who are playing the same game, which in turn can trigger active real-time communication among users.

* l Near

SCE will also provide location-based services on NGP as part of the basic features utilizing PlayStation Network. The new application called "Near," developed specifically for this service and the network, will be pre-installed in the system to let users find out what their friends in the vicinity are playing now or what they were playing recently. Users can meet their friends and new players virtually, regardless of what games they are playing, simply by sharing their game information across different dimensions of time and distance.

* l New Game Medium

NGP adopts a new game medium, a small flash memory based card, dedicated for NGP software titles. Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store the full software titles plus add-on game content or the game save data directly on to the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich and immersive games.

NGP will also come equipped with two cameras on its front and rear, as well as three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass, all of which are designed to enable users to enjoy the world of entertainment that is linked with real life experiences.

PlayStation®Suite (PS Suite), announced today, will also closely coordinate with NGP. The newly developed and released game content for AndroidTM based portable devices can also be enjoyed on NGP. As a result, users will have access to not only the most leading-edge content, but also some of the more casual experiences that typify the mobile market place.

SCE will vigorously promote NGP towards the launch as the next generation portable entertainment platform and deploy various measures to further expand the portable gaming market.

?Next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP) ?

CPU

ARM® CortexTM-A9 core (4 core)

GPU

SGX543MP4+

External Dimensions

Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)

Touch screen

5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED

Multi touch screen (capacitive type)

Rear touch pad

Multi touch pad (capacitive type)

Cameras

Front camera, Rear camera

Built-in stereo speakers

Built-in microphone

Sensors

Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass

Built-in GPS

Wi-Fi location service support

Keys / Switches

PS button

Power button

Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)

Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)

Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)

Right stick, Left stick

START button, SELECT button

Volume buttons (+/-)

Wireless communications

Mobile network connectivity (3G)

IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)

Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR ?A2DP/AVRCP/HSP?

Games so far:

- Killzone

- Little Big Planet

- Reality Fighters

- Uncharted

- WipeOut

- Resistance

- Hot Shots Golf,

- Gravity Daze

- Smart As, Broken

- Little Deviants

Key Points:

- 2 analog sticks

- Six Axis motion controls

- New game media (flash-based carts)

- Large screeen

- Touch pad on the back

- Front and rear camera, with a microphone

- 5 inch OLED

- 3G plus WiFI

- GPOS

- 4x resolution of PSP

- Touch screen

- Touch pad on back of device

- PS3 quality graphics

- Released this holiday season, in Japan

- Micro analogue stick

- Downloaded PSP titles work on NGP

• Thumbs Up 3

Unless they announce some worthwhile games, this isn't a day-one purchase for me. The PSP didn't get quite enough support, and I'm hoping this changes that. I'm also hoping the price is reasonable, but it looks like it could end up being expensive.

Also, this is nitpicking and all, but it seems kind of pretentious to name this thing the Next Generation Portable. It won't even be "next gen" in a few years anyway.

Now that I've gotten my obligatory bitching out of the way, I can't wait to see more. I didn't think I'd be as hyped as I am. I've shrugged off every rumor until now, but I've got to say, this thing is pretty damn cool. I want one.

So, it can't play PlayStation Portable games, eh? :huh:

Everything's downloadable content and touch-screens and online nonsense? <_<

Glad I didn't get excited or anything. :(

Tch. Hardly impressive by any means. It's just all meh... Not a single thing even comes close to selling the device for me. Not hyped at all. Unless Sony can get a good software lineup this time around, this'll become an expensive paperweight like the PSP.

Released this holiday season, in Japan

Hang on, by 'holiday season', it means "December", right...? Or am I mistaken?

If that's the case, what the hell are Sony thinking? The PSP released only a couple of months at worst after the DS (except for the PAL territories, where in came in September, idiots), and yet they're releasing this more than half a year after the 3DS.

Why do I have this feeling PAL territories won't get this until next year?

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 5

Sounds great! Uncharted and Little Big Planet PSP make me happy, hopefully Sega can get on board with a new yakuza and Sonic rivals 3 game (they'll no doubt be he obligatory football manager game also). Any word on backwards comparability with PSP games?

• Thumbs Up 3

Unless they announce some worthwhile games, this isn't a day-one purchase for me. The PSP didn't get quite enough support, and I'm hoping this changes that. I'm also hoping the price is reasonable, but it looks like it could end up being expensive.

Also, this is nitpicking and all, but it seems kind of pretentious to name this thing the Next Generation Portable. It won't even be "next gen" in a few years anyway.

Now that I've gotten my obligatory bitching out of the way, I can't wait to see more. I didn't think I'd be as hyped as I am. I've shrugged off every rumor until now, but I've got to say, this thing is pretty damn cool. I want one.

Next Generation Portable isn't its final name, it's its codename, like Nintendo does with all of its systems. DS was codenamed Nitro and Wii was codenamed Revolution.

Games will be both physical retail and downloadable from the PS Store.

sony-tokyo-event-1385.jpeg

They're using game cards instead of UMD's now. As for PSP games, it can play downloaded PSP games, but not UMD's, since it lacks a UMD drive. While it would be nice for it to have one, I'm kind of glad it doesn't, since that would just jack the price up even more. I can't see where they'd fit a game card slot AND a UMD drive anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Read the first post again, sir.

You can play all the PSP,PSone and Mini games from the PlayStation Store. "PSP2/NGP"-games will be avilable at retail(on flashbased cards like the N-Gage/DS/3DS) or via PlayStation Store. All games don't require touchcontrolls - some games will have it optional, some games might not use it at all.

Sony really need to remove the plastic i coloured red. It looks fucking awfull, and cheap:

E4LmM.png

The whole thing looks cheap compared to the luxuary that was PlayStation Portable six years ago. Hell, it still looks beautifull even today. Specially the Ceramic White version.

Video from the press conference of the rear touch pad and the touch screen being used in Little Deviants:

Sounds great! Uncharted and Little Big Planet PSP make me happy, hopefully Sega can get on board with a new yakuza and Sonic rivals 3 game (they'll no doubt be he obligatory football manager game also). Any word on backwards comparability with PSP games?

Yep, SEGA is one of the many confirmed publishers on board.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/27/ngp_third_parties/

Sega's Toshihiro Nagoshi appeared next and showed an NGP recreation of an event scene from PS3's upcoming Yakuza Of the End. This was created in 10 days and made use of the lighting, shaders and other areas of the PS3 version unchanged.

As for backwards compatibility, see my last post.

Tch. Hardly impressive by any means. It's just all meh... Not a single thing even comes close to selling the device for me. Not hyped at all.

I am shocked, SHOCKED, by this amazing turn of events.

:rolleyes:

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Read the first post again, sir.

You can play all the PSP,PSone and Mini games from the PlayStation Store. "PSP2/NGP"-games will be avilable at retail(on flashbased cards like the N-Gage/DS/3DS) or via PlayStation Store.

So, in other words, exactly what I said: no ability to play PlayStation Portable games, and everything online. Sorry, but I don't count downloadable games as proper games because, well... they're not. They don't come in a box with a manual. They're not games.

Sony created the UMD and they're about to summarily kill it. Nice.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

So, in other words, exactly what I said: no ability to play PlayStation Portable games, and everything online. Sorry, but I don't count downloadable games as proper games because, well... they're not. They don't come in a box with a manual. They're not games.

Only for the PSP games. The PSP 2/NGP games will be available at retail as well as online on the PS Store, so not everything will be online. PSP's and their games will likely get huge price drops once this is out anyway, so you'll be able to grab them cheap if you still want to play physical PSP games by then.

I am shocked, SHOCKED, by this amazing turn of events.

:rolleyes:

... Okay, I might've overdone it, but was the sarcasm really necessary? Jeez.

I love how quickly people bash this as soon as it's revealed yet the 3DS gets all the praise. Why don't you wait for them to reveal more before bashing it without real reason, heck this might even be better than the 3DS.

Edited by sjmaster92
  • Thumbs Up 3

Nintendo created the GBA cartridges. And now they are dead.

I love how quickly people bash this as soon as it's revealed yet the 3DS gets all the praise. Why don't you wait for them to reveal more before bashing it without real reason, heck this might even be better than the 3DS.

If you're talking SSMB, i think it's because this place is flooded with Nintendo fans/fanboys.

The 3DS is just a more powerfull version of the DS with a 3D filther, that's not even required to play the games since you can turn the 3D effect off.

PSP2 is a more a powerfull PSP, with touchscreen, touchpad, new and improved analogsticks.

The PSP has evolved, while the DS has just grown. Nothing wrong with it. They are playing it safe and they are gonna succed.

Edited by Michael Myers
  • Thumbs Up 1

Official NGP press release:

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES ITS NEXT GENERATION PORTABLE ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

Ultimate Portable Entertainment System Makes Its Debut This Year,

Further Expanding the PlayStation® Business in the Portable Gaming Market

Tokyo, January 27, 2011– Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced its next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP), which delivers the ultimate portable entertainment experience. NGP will make its debut at the end of the year 2011.

NGP is designed to offer unparalleled interactive entertainment that is only possible on PlayStation®. This new system offers a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context, made possible by leveraging SCE’s experience from both PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) and PlayStation®3 (PS3®) entertainment systems.

Deep and immersive gaming is at the core of PlayStation’s DNA, and NGP is the latest embodiment of this vision. By having both Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity, together with various applications, NGP will enable infinite possibilities for users to “encounter,” “connect,” “discover,” “share” and “play” with friends wherever they are. Within the device are a range of features that provide a genuinely cutting-edge, next generation ultimate portable entertainment experience.

・Stunning OLED and Revolutionary User Interface

NGP incorporates a beautiful multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting display (OLED) as the front display. A high-performance CPU / GPU combined with OLED enables rich, visually striking graphics never seen before on a portable entertainment system, for both games and other digital entertainment content. The new system also incorporates a unique multi-touch pad on the rear, and together with the front touch display, NGP offers new game play allowing users to interact directly with games in three dimension-like motion, through “touch, grab, trace, push and pull” moves of the fingers.

・Super Oval Design and Dual Analog Sticks

While succeeding the basic design philosophy of PSP, NGP adopts the Super Oval Design form factor, created to fit comfortably in users’ hands. For the first time, a portable entertainment system will feature two analog sticks, which enable a wider range of game genres to be brought into the portable experience.

・LiveArea™

Every game title for NGP will be provided with a space called “LiveArea™” where users can share the fun and excitement with other players. Users will have access to the latest information of games provided from SCE and 3rd party developers and publishers through PlayStation®Network. Additionally, NGP users will be able to view an “Activity” log that is constantly updated with accomplishments from users who are playing the same game, which in turn can trigger active real-time communication among users.

・Near

SCE will also provide location-based services on NGP as part of the basic features utilizing PlayStation Network. The new application called “Near,” developed specifically for this service and the network, will be pre-installed in the system to let users find out what their friends in the vicinity are playing now or what they were playing recently. Users can meet their friends and new players virtually, regardless of what games they are playing, simply by sharing their game information across different dimensions of time and distance.

・New Game Medium

NGP adopts a new game medium, a small flash memory based card, dedicated for NGP software titles. Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store the full software titles plus add-on game content or the game save data directly on to the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich and immersive games.

NGP will also come equipped with two cameras on its front and rear, as well as three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass, all of which are designed to enable users to enjoy the world of entertainment that is linked with real life experiences.

PlayStation®Suite (PS Suite), announced today, will also closely coordinate with NGP. The newly developed and released game content for Android™ based portable devices can also be enjoyed on NGP. As a result, users will have access to not only the most leading-edge content, but also some of the more casual experiences that typify the mobile market place.

SCE will vigorously promote NGP towards the launch as the next generation portable entertainment platform and deploy various measures to further expand the portable gaming market.

NGP to have an "affordable price":

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/01/27/ngp-to-have-an-affordable-price/

Over 64 million PSP's sold since launch:

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/01/27/over-64-million-psps-sold-since-launch/

The whole announcement, compared to the 3DS' announcement, is severely underwhelming. There's nothing genuinely new (aside from a second dual-stick) or interesting with the features, and compared to the absolutely fantastic lineup of games that was announced for the 3DS, the NGP's current lineup is absolutely abysmal. Plus, the battery life is probably going to be terrible, and it'll probably cost a king's ransom.

NGP to have an "affordable price":

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yeah, I'm not trusting Sony when they say this, no way. With that kind of specs, I'll be surprised if it doesn't cost more than the PS3 did at launch.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Sony:

INTRODUCING THE NEW AND INNOVATIVE PLAYSTATION DS NEXT-GEN PORTABLE FEATURING A TOUCH SCREEN AND DECENT ONLINE, TOUCH PADS AND ANALOG STICKS

OH AND DID WE MENTION IT HAS A QUAD-CORE CPU?

Yawn.

EDIT: Heh, it's practically a game to see how low this post's rep will go now. Sorry folks, but this doesn't impress me one bit, and neither did the original PSP. It's just not for me.

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Bad Quality Post 6

NGP is to have 4-5 hours battery life, according to an unidentified Eurogamer source:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-27-source-ngp-battery-life-is-4-5-hours

Sony: NGP will have a "good, solid" battery life

Portion of a Eurogamer article:

While SCEE boss Andrew House was unable to confirm the snazzy handheld's battery life when quizzed by Eurogamer, he did explain why gamers shouldn't be concerned by it.

"We'll have a good, solid battery life because of two factors," he said. "It's influenced our choice of flash media, versus incorporating a disc drive; and number two, the screen is large and gorgeous – it's also OLED, which is fantastically good for low power consumption as well.

"So there are two, I think strong, features there that bode very well for battery life."

Sony UK told Eurogamer that details on the battery life are unavailable at this stage.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-27-sony-ngp-battery-life-good-solid

4-5 hours

With the ammount of power under the hood + 3G, im pretty surprised. In a positive way.

Gamespot Hands-on

This thing is fucking huge :/

Edited by Michael Myers

You know what I thinks funneh? [/yorkshire]

Watching the people who have been slagging this off for the past 3 weeks trying to find a problem with it.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Watching the people who have been slagging this off for the past 3 weeks trying to find a problem with it.

How so? Considering the way the PSP1 turned out, among things, the pessimism isn't exactly unwarranted. Edited by Blacklightning

You know what would be even funnier? If this thing outsold the 3DS...

NGP is to have 4-5 hours battery life, according to an unidentified Eurogamer source:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-27-source-ngp-battery-life-is-4-5-hours

Okay. Well looks like there's no need to worry about the battery life. Now all that needs to be mentioned is the price. Depending on what Sony means by affordable, if they've learned their lesson from last time then they may very well have a revolutionary winner over the 3DS.

Other than that, I think Sony would be better naming the system PSP2...small nitpick, and it may change, but that's just something I wanted to get out.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1