Awoo.

PS Vita

Patticus

DogTagz:If they're willing to settle for that, then fine. But they clearly think they're going to be able to crush Nintendo this time. I don't see anything that validates their claims; the previous generation certainly contradicts them. I myself am not interested, but that's because I feel like the PSP was a huge letdown for me.

Also. Hogfather: Already did that, the numbers were far from equal for me. Though the fact that I own 30 DS games and 10 PSP games shows that anyway.

Tornado: In my opinion, those are enhanced ports, while OoT and Star Fox 64 are remakes (seriously, how the hell are those ports? They completely redid the graphics and added additional content). So no that's not the same in my opinion. I don't see how console ports to NGP will be any different from their console counterparts AT ALL.

Edited by Hero Of Fate
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

DogTagz:If they're willing to settle for that, then fine. But they clearly think they're going to be able to crush Nintendo this time. I don't see anything that validates their claims; the previous generation certainly contradicts them. I myself am not interested, but that's because I feel like the PSP was a huge letdown for me.

Well that’s all speculative.

From my perspective I see Sony bringing a leviathan to the table while the 3DS is busy spinning its tires during the worst launch window known to mankind.

It seems a bit early to be so down on the NGP considering we’ll have a much clearer picture in a couple of days.

Here's the thing, why are you discounting 3DS when it has a much better end year? What? Super Mario, Paper Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Sonic Generations, and Kid Icarus aren't enough? Launches are always bad, so I don't see how that determines the fate of the system. At least history makes more sense than that.

Edited by Hero Of Fate
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

But they clearly think they're going to be able to crush Nintendo this time. I don't see anything that validates their claims; the previous generation certainly contradicts them

During their E3 preview conference, Konami basically said that you would be able to play PS2 games on your NGP. Now how would they know that unless they've pretty much been given the green light or at the very least confirmed that there is going to be that service for the NGP in order to develop the future of their transfarring idea to it.

Thats quite a big selling point.

Also does anyone else find it a tad... whats the word? Daft? That we're discussing the chances of a handheld which has not yet been released or even has a price tag yet against another handheld which is so far being supported by ports that have a 3D function on it that people bought on either blind faith or the promise of games that have not yet been released? Or did we really all orgasm over the thought of playing The Sims 3 and Lego Star Wars in 3D when all what we really wanted was Resident Evil and a new Mario?

I wonder how this debate would go down if I went into the project cafe topic and do exactly the same thats going on in this one. Pointed out how last month nobody wanted to get a new console just ye and all what the competitors need to do is announce a superior console at E3 2012 and then Nintendo are in the same position that they are now with the Wii, and Wii 2 owners will start the same old arguments that they've been doing for the past 4 years?

Here's the thing, why are you discounting 3DS when it has a much better end year? Launches are always bad, so I don't see how that determines the fate of the system. At least history makes more sense than that.

But you're complaining about a handheld that hasn't even had it's launch titles announced yet or even have a price tag. The fact others are complaining about a handheld thats been released for a few months and has a line of games for it does actually have a bit more merit to it.

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 5

Hey, I'm just saying I'm not getting one at launch, I'd get a NGP later down the line if it has better titles down the line, but only if there's a price drop. I can't see this not costing an arm and a leg, unless Sony is insane (granted they kind of are).

Hogfather: It's just looks unlikely to me due to how the PSP did. How is that hard to understand? I didn't like the endgame for the PSP, so I'm wary of the NGP. Also, once again, history (Have I beaten anyone over the head with this enough yet?). Launches barely ever have more than one must have title, and that's already been shown to be Uncharted, and that isn't enough to warrant a purchase for me. I like the series and all, but I'm not dying to have the NGP spin-off title (that isn't even developed by Naughty Dog) when Drake's Deception is looming over the horizon.

Edited by Hero Of Fate
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here's the thing, why are you discounting 3DS when it has a much better end year? What? Super Mario, Paper Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Sonic Generations, and Kid Icarus aren't enough? Launches are always bad, so I don't see how that determines the fate of the system. At least history makes more sense than that.

I’m not saying that the 3DS is doomed or anything (far from it – I invested in one on launch day because of its bright future). I am simply noting that you seem to be down on the NGP despite the fact that Sony is entering prime real estate to drop the curtain on their machine while the competitor is clearly sucking wind.

Launches barely ever have more than one must have title, and that's already been shown to be Uncharted,

*bangs head on desk*

They... havn't... announced... the... launch... titles... yet...

• Thumbs Up 2

The titles that everyone has already seen are likely to be the launch titles. Just saying I don't think we're in for any surprises. I'm going in circles here, but no launch has ever been stellar. For god's sake, man. Have realistic expectations, the NGP dev kit hasn't been in the hands of developers any longer than the 3DS one.

Edited by Hero Of Fate
  • Thumbs Up 1

For god's sake, man. Have realistic expectations, the NGP dev kit hasn't been in the hands of developers any longer than the 3DS one.

Lol what!? How do you know that!? How can you possibly know what devs are working on and what they're not working on?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, I'm just saying I got one at launch, I got the 3DS now instead of later down the line when it would have better titles down the line, I didn't even wait for a price drop. I can see why this costs an arm and a leg, because Nintendo is awesome. (granted they kind of are).

You're giving the NGP flak for some of the same stuff Nintendo's been doing with the 3DS. But hey- it's Nintendo so they get free passes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Probably because there were reports of Devs having the PSP successor around the time it was also announced that they had the DS successor dev kit. :rolleyes:

You're giving the NGP flak for some of the same stuff Nintendo's been doing with the 3DS. But hey- it's Nintendo so they get free passes.

It could also have to do with the 3DS having more worthwhile titles by the time the NGP comes out of the gate with its small launch line-up (just like everyone else). That and the NGP guaranteed to cost more than the 3DS, especially that 3G SKU.

Edited by Hero Of Fate
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

It could also have to do with the 3DS having more worthwhile titles by the time the NGP comes out of the gate with its small launch line-up (just like everyone else). That and the NGP guaranteed to cost more than the 3DS, especially that 3G SKU.

Again... we don't have a launch title list or a price for it... Why are we complaining about stuff that isn't even a reality? And why is it ok to do that to anything which doesn't have the Nintendo logo on it?

• Thumbs Up 2

while OoT and Star Fox 64 are remakes (seriously, how the hell are those ports? They completely redid the graphics and added additional content).

And how is that different from the dozens of PSX-era remakes that the PSP ended up with? The PSP is flooded with remakes of older RPGs, shooters and platformers, so why is it that it only counts when Nintendo does it?

So no that's not the same in my opinion.

Adding cursory 3D graphics does not an enhanced port make. Disgaea on the PSP was an enhanced console port. Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max on the PSP was an enhanced console port. Super IV 3DS is not.

I don't see how console ports to NGP will be any different from their console counterparts AT ALL.

Like how Super IV wasn't? Like how Rayman 3DS wasn't? Like how Splinter Cell wasn't? Do you have a standard for what isn't merely a ported console title that is something other than "its on a Sony handheld"? Because if you do I'd certainly like to here what it is.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

If it literally has nothing different from the console versions, then it's a direct from console port. In my opinion, the 3D did indeed count. Not like I bought those games, though. I won't argue that the 3DS launch was good, it was fucking terrible, but the end year for it looks better than what we see for the PSP right now. Uncharted isn't enough. Though in all honesty, why is it an issue that I'm not interested in the NGP? I just did not care for the PSP, I felt like I wasted my money on it. I will admit that I am guilty of buying some enhanced ports/remakes on the PSP as well: specifically Persona and P3P. Maybe my issue is that the most popular current gen games are uninteresting gray filled FPS titles, which I fear will be ported to NGP considering it fits the specific market; making it just more of the same. I don't have to like the NGP if I don't want to, just like you don't have to like the 3DS. Or either for that matter.

Edited by Hero Of Fate
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't have to like the NGP if I don't want to, just like you don't have to like the 3DS.

And I would never demand that you do. But if you are going to bring out the "Official list of why the NGP won't be very good," it would be nice if the reasons weren't the same reasons that are on the "Official list of why the 3DS is so awesome."

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

If it literally has nothing different from the console versions, then it's a direct from console port. In my opinion, the 3D did indeed count. Not like I bought those games, though. I won't argue that the 3DS launch was good, it was fucking terrible, but the end year for it looks better than what we see for the PSP right now. Uncharted isn't enough. Though in all honesty, why is it an issue that I'm not interested in the NGP? I just did not care for the PSP, I felt like I wasted my money on it. I will admit that I am guilty of buying some enhanced ports/remakes on the PSP as well: specifically Persona and P3P. Maybe my issue is that the most popular current gen games are uninteresting gray filled FPS titles, which I fear will be ported to NGP considering it fits the specific market; making it just more of the same. I don't have to like the NGP if I don't want to, just like you don't have to like the 3DS. Or either for that matter.

Then complain about the PSP, not the NGP. That's like going on about how you won't buy the 3DS on launch date because the Virtual Boy proved how bad Nintendo is at 3D. It's an unrelated argument and nobody's going to take it seriously.

Anyhow, I'm sorry about being so full of questions for a conference I didn't see, but did they say how Transfarring worked at all? I'm really curious as to how they could hold the massive amount of memory needed to play a PS3 game on the system without having to buy a separate version of the game.

Which did they describe:

Situation A - You buy the MGS collection on PS3 and play that. Then, you Transfar the game onto the NGP and play on there, before Transfarring back to the PS3.

Situation B - You buy the MGS collection on PS3 and NGP. You Transfar your save file between games to keep things convenient.

• Thumbs Up 2

My actual reason was that I didn't end up being satisfied with my PSP purchase come its end. Like I said, I'm willing to give it a chance once there's a price drop, but I'm not going to invest in this right away because it didn't work out for me with the PSP.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's too close to a console, so there's no real point to develop for it.

Its using an ARM processor, which undoubtedly has similar architecture to the ARM's used in Apple's A5, and countless smartphones today. Which means that it will probably be fairly easy to programme and develop games for. Also, was the NGP supposed to have Android Market compatability. I mean there already is the Xperia Play, which can play PS1 games downloaded from a Playstation section in Android's market, so I don't see how its not going to come to the NGP.

I don't know about you, but that makes the NGP a really, really good potential product to buy. It has the sheer power to deliver AAA titles for long journey's like Long-haul-flights, yet if it truely does have Android access, then it also has access to Android Apps, so you can play small indie time-killers (like Angry Birds for example) as well. Not to mention the potential Social networking benefits you can get from Android connectivity.

Sony has basically entered the the Tablet Computer Market, as well as the dedicated handheld gaming market. If they can penetrate the former market successfully, then I don't think they'll have to worry about the price. Tablets are insanely expensive, yet they're selling like hotcakes.

I mean theoretically, the NGP sounds like a pretty good idea.

Then there is the launch line-up. Firstly, We don't know what it is, but so far, its looking pretty good. There is obviously Uncharted and wipEout, which are the big names in that line-up. However, you don't just need to have well-known IP's to have a strong launch line-up. Sony are also going for a couple new IP's, Sound Shapes, is looking to be the strongest of those new IP's.

Meh, its up to you I guess, but there is no point in writing the NGP off because of past failures (arguably) with the PSP. Like somebody above said, that would be like writing the 3DS off because of the Virtual Boy.

• Thumbs Up 2

Its using an ARM processor, which undoubtedly has similar architecture to the ARM's used in Apple's A5, and countless smartphones today. Which means that it will probably be fairly easy to programme and develop games for. Also, was the NGP supposed to have Android Market compatability. I mean there already is the Xperia Play, which can play PS1 games downloaded from a Playstation section in Android's market, so I don't see how its not going to come to the NGP.

Honest question, what's so special about that? The PSP could already download PS1 games..

I don't know about you, but that makes the NGP a really, really good potential product to buy. It has the sheer power to deliver AAA titles for long journey's like Long-haul-flights, yet if it truely does have Android access, then it also has access to Android Apps, so you can play small indie time-killers (like Angry Birds for example) as well. Not to mention the potential Social networking benefits you can get from Android connectivity.

Looking at how quickly the 3DS and PSPs batterys die, I doubt the NGP will have very long battery life, so it wouldn't be really suited for long flights. :P

Sony has basically entered the the Tablet Computer Market, as well as the dedicated handheld gaming market. If they can penetrate the former market successfully, then I don't think they'll have to worry about the price. Tablets are insanely expensive, yet they're selling like hotcakes.

I mean theoretically, the NGP sounds like a pretty good idea.

Except it's first and foremost a video game console. I, and I'm sure a ton of people, don't want it to be crazy expensive or you can definetly count me out of buying it. Especially looking at the titles announced so far.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you. What I understand is that you're saying Sony doesn't have to worry about giving the console a high price, because Tablets sell really well?

Then there is the launch line-up. Firstly, We don't know what it is, but so far, its looking pretty good. There is obviously Uncharted and wipEout, which are the big names in that line-up. However, you don't just need to have well-known IP's to have a strong launch line-up. Sony are also going for a couple new IP's, Sound Shapes, is looking to be the strongest of those new IP's.

So far they're doing the same as always(Not saying this is bad, just saying it. For many it's good, for me.. not so much.), and what is new (Reality Fighters) looks mediocre at best. Sound Shapes looks ok, but is definitely not a system seller and I doubt it well sell very well.

Meh, its up to you I guess, but there is no point in writing the NGP off because of past failures (arguably) with the PSP. Like somebody above said, that would be like writing the 3DS off because of the Virtual Boy.

Not really. NGP is the direct succesor to the PSP. 3DS isn't the direct successor to the Virtual Boy. You'd have to compare it to the DS.

Edit: Videos of Uncharted, Wipeout and Sound Shapes:

http://www.videogameszone.de/PlayStation-Portable-2-NGP-Misc-Hardware-235295/News/Sony-NGP-Neue-Videos-zeigen-Uncharted-Wipeout-2048-und-Sound-Shapes-827484/

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Honest question, what's so special about that? The PSP could already download PS1 games.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I think the reason why I don't like the NGP right now is the same reason I don't like the PSP that much - it hosts great games, fantastic even. P3P remains one of my favorite games of all time. That said the output of games that are suited better for portable experiences are far lesser those than the DS has, and a good deal of PSP games are games that I'd honestly probably prefer playing on the PS3, with the exception of a number of RPG titles, mostly Nippon Ichi stuff.

NGP will undoubtedly be an impressive console and offer great games but right now it seems to have a bit of the same problem the PSP has by trying to go against the stream of the most suitable experience people look for in a portable market, and it doesn't really help that it's getting all the more separated from that what with trying to be even more like a stationary console in game delivery while the market is becoming far more favorable towards the constantly increasing use of easy smartphone gaming.

I'll probably get one along the line but I'm interested how this will hold up in the long run.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the NGP / PS Vita is the sexiest handheld ever. It seems to have an unbelievable amount of features and the power it has despite being a handheld is staggering.

I'd say there are a solid amount of games coming down the pipeline and more are sure to be announced at E3, so I'm not really worried about a sub-par launch. It's not like the 3DS launch was anything special, but it seems to be a bigger deal when it comes to Sony stuff.

I don't see how making an incredibly powerful handheld that can handle the same kind of games as current consoles is a bad thing. That's what I've always wanted from a handled. Too long have handhelds had to deal with getting downgraded and inferior versions of home console games. PS Vita seems to be pushing towards getting rid of that concept entirely.

I love that.

With that in mind and the original experiences that are sure to be made for it, you have something I'm definitely willing to spend my money on.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2

Whilst, it won't impress us much, but the idea of CoD or Battlefeild on the NGP will shift a fair few units to fanboys of those particular series'.

That's what I fear. I don't want it to become that system. Handhelds have been the home of more unique titles since this current generation titles, and it'd be a damn shame for the NGP to end up not being part of that trend.

Evidence is mounting for the PS Vita name.

E3 2011: 'PlayStation Vita' and 'PSVita' trademarked by Sony

Logo for NGP re-name revealed?

screenshot_255513.jpg

Sony has trademarked the names PSVita and PlayStation Vita, which is the rumoured final name for the company's new handheld - known to date as the NGP.

The news broke on NeoGAF with user M.D posting a link to the trademark registration and a logo that clearly fits with the PlayStation brand.

Evidence mounted last week to suggest that Vita is indeed the new name for the Sony NGP.

We'll find out for sure during Sony's E3 conference held tomorrow morning at 1am BST.

[ Source: NeoGAF ]

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/304885/playstation-vita-and-psvita-trademarked-by-sony/