Awoo.

PS Vita

Patticus

Well this comes as no surprise.

Sony has packed quite a bit of game into PlayStation Vita. And they're selling it for ¥24,980, the same price as the 3DS.

Not surprisingly, Sony will be incurring a loss on Vita sales. In an interview with Reuters, Sony consumer products head Kaz Hirai said that the company expects to begin making a profit on the hardware within three years.

Hirai also said that he hopes to make Vita sell more units than the PSP. Coinciding with the Vita name and price announcement at Sony's pre E3 press conference earlier today, Sony revealed that PSP has shipped 70 million units.

Reuters also reports that Sony Computer Entertaiment America president Jack Tretton said that while Vita will be released in Japan within the year, the release could come later in some other territories.

Three year estimate is quite a while.

It's pretty much standard practice for companies that take a bit of a hit to put reasonable prices toward consumers, unlike, y'know, others that sell low profile hardware at way more than it actually costs to make and get away with it.

Personally I'll be picking up a couple games with my Vita purchase so the loss on that particular sale will be negated ;P

Apparently, the Vita will not be region locked IGN

I know that will be good news for some of you out there.

Apparently, the Vita will not be region locked IGN

I know that will be good news for some of you out there.

That's better news for European and Australians than U.S. gamers, but it doesn't hurt because there will most definitely be games that don't release outside of Japan. I guess Sony ignored the whiny European retailers.

Region free is good news, but there's still this problem wherein most importers these days (even ebayers) won't import Sony Entertainment items to ANYWHERE in Europe, because of the Lik-Sang case they won years ago. So if you live in Europe, you might find buying foreign titles for your Vita a bit of a trial, unless Sony can convince Play-Asia and the like that they won't get all sue happy again.

If that's a problem, one could simply buy a japanese PSN card online and get the loli rape sims directly from the JPN PStore.

I am waiting for two things to happen to the PS Vita:

First is a good selection of games which is important to the system.

Second is a price drop due to the new tech in the system.

Considering its already $250 (the same as the 3DS) and Sony are making a loss on it, I don't see a price drop for a fair while.

Edited by Silencer226

Looking at this post I had to double check this wasn't the 3DS thread!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

WHAT? The cheap price was one of the highlights of Sony's conference. It's the same price as the 3DS, despite the advanced tech in it. They've even admitted that they're going to be making a loss with this price. :blink:

What was the original price of the PSP? I can't even remember...wasn't it actually around 249?

Yep,it was.

Nice!

Sound pretty good to me. Its actually pushing me towards actually getting one.

Oh boy, 2012/2013 is going to hurt my wallet a lot.

It doesn't have to, you can just sell a kidney on the black market like that one guy and pay for all your electronics that way.

Alternatively you can just save up money starting now for those few specific things (like scrap 20-30 big ones off your check) and make up the difference come time to when you wanna buy them. I know I'll be trying to get a Vita on launch day, that thing is gonna make my year and then some.

It really isn't that difficult to save up 249 regardless of how you do it.

Looking at this post I had to double check this wasn't the 3DS thread!

Sony really hasn't shown much more than Nintendo has and now Nintendo has arguably shown a LOT more than Sony has, but the price itself seems fair.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

If the price of the Vita is "fair", I'd love to know what the price of the 3DS is.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll be honest myself, even if I wouldn't know the tech the 3DS supplies I wouldn't have given a rats ass about the price point being above the preconceived notion of "what it should be" because it's above how much it costs to develop. Of course it is, I don't see why anyone would think differently. In the hardware business you're lucky if you receive instant profit on the tech you sell, and Nintendo are to this date one of the few companies that don't sell hardware at a loss. The price is in a sense justified because they're a game company, not a multimedia corporation like Sony or Microsoft, and wouldn't necessarily make up for lost profit through other divisions. In the end the tech race will not be what decides the outcome of sales. If I would have had to pay $249 and choose between a console that is lesser on the tech side but superior in the game side, or a console that's superior on the tech but lesser so on games, I'd sure as hell go with the former. But only time will tell which one will actually have the better games, even though so far I'm more favorable with Nintendo because their IPs are in my eyes far more interesting than Sony's.

3DS price is fair. PS Vita's price isn't fair; it's generous.

Edited by Carbo

Yep that price is most definately generous.

Hopefully the 3DS vs. NGP console war will be a bit more balanced. Both seem to have fairly strong line-ups, each with exclusives that appeal to different people.

Edited by Scar