Awoo.

PS Vita

Patticus

Sony really hasn't shown much more than Nintendo has and now Nintendo has arguably shown a LOT more than Sony has, but the price itself seems fair.

Price and terrible catalog are right now the main complaints about the 3DS, hence my comment. Partly joking at the expense of people that get butthurt over that, too ;P

Holy shit that dynamic avatar (manly Peach with little Bowser). That aside, I swear where you're coming from, but Vita buyers don't have much going for them either, except the fact that they know they're getting a good deal on pricing.

Yep that price is most definately generous.

Hopefully the 3DS vs. NGP console war will be a bit more balanced. Both seem to have fairly strong line-ups, each with exclusives that appeal to different people.

I still really don't see the difference between this race and the last. 3DS still appears to be the system with the wider appeal, while Vita will be good for major fucking nerds like the lot of us. Myself included.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

I still really don't see the difference between this race and the last. 3DS still appears to be the system with the wider appeal, while Vita will be good for major fucking nerds like the lot of us. Myself included.

Dude, it's way to early too tell. The thing isn't even out yet and we're already talking about how the 3DS will have more games? Seriously?

• Thumbs Up 3

Dude, it's way to early too tell. The thing isn't even out yet and we're already talking about how the 3DS will have more games? Seriously?

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Nah, they'll buy them "the one with the pokemans". You overestimate the amount of knowledge your average parent has :3

From my experience, it's just because it's a "Nintendo", but I'd be lying if I said Pokemon wasn't one of the things that cemented Nintendo's place as handheld king. I can only imagine how damn much Generation VI is going to sell.

They're doing a redeux of their previous strategy, so the same result is a possibility. PSP was a console experience in your hand, PSV is a console experience in your hand. It lead to games that had arguably more depth...I hate this fucking term but "hardcore" if you will. This lead to the PSP library being more of a niche thing.

Little Deviants and Sound Shapes, along with all of the console ports the 3DS is getting prove your point completely moot. It seems Nintendo is going for the "console experience in your hand" as well.

You also have to factor in the important point that a major handheld market is children, whether you want to believe it or not, and a parent is going to buy their kid a Nintendo because there's always been a Nintendo.

Quite the contrary. Most people I know call video game consoles either "Playstation" or "Atari". I've never heard an adult call a video game console a "Nintendo".

Look, it's fine if you like Nintendo more or don't trust Sony. Seriously, it's fine. Everyone has opinions. What isn't fine is talking out of your ass. Nothing you're saying is making any sense, and it's as if you're looking for some kind of justification for not trusting Sony. Just say that you refuse to trust Sony after being disappointed by the PSP and move on. Nobody's asking for excuses.

• Thumbs Up 3

From my experience, it's just because it's a "Nintendo", but I'd be lying if I said Pokemon wasn't one of the things that cemented Nintendo's place as handheld king. I can only imagine how damn much Generation VI is going to sell.

• Thumbs Up 1

Little Deviants and Sound Shapes, along with all of the console ports the 3DS is getting prove your point completely moot. It seems Nintendo is going for the "console experience in your hand" as well.

Quite the contrary. Most people I know call video game consoles either "Playstation" or "Atari". I've never heard an adult call a video game console a "Nintendo".

Look, it's fine if you like Nintendo more or don't trust Sony. Seriously, it's fine. Everyone has opinions. What isn't fine is talking out of your ass. Nothing you're saying is making any sense, and it's as if you're looking for some kind of justification for not trusting Sony. Just say that you refuse to trust Sony after being disappointed by the PSP and move on. Nobody's asking for excuses.

Yea, but that's a matter of personal experience and the fact that it's most people "you know" call the consoles "Playstation" or "Atari". I can say the same, since most older people I know call them "Nintendos" or "Segas." History has shown us that Nintendo has a pretty good foothold on the handheld world. Sony may be a good competitor in the handheld world, but Nintendo still has those titles that people will hype over, such as earlier noted Pokemon, Mario, LoZ. Given, titles such as Resistance, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, and etc are nice too, they will never beat some of Nintendo's titles.

Given, personally, I will buy into a PsV before a 3DS, even so... you're going to see more kids and even adults running around with a 3DS and I don't say that because the 3DS released first, but from experience. Every where I have worked, been out, etc. you see the little kiddies (and some adults) with a DS, 3DS and etc. Rarely a Psp. Remember, this is from experience from people whom I don't know. Also, Nintendo handhelds seem more durable if anything, which is why I believe parents buy their kids a Nintendo handheld such as a DS over a Psp.

Edited by LunarEdge
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yea, but that's a matter of personal experience and the fact that it's most people "you know" call the consoles "Playstation" or "Atari". I can say the same, since most older people I know call them "Nintendos" or "Segas." History has shown us that Nintendo has a pretty good foothold on the handheld world. Sony may be a good competitor in the handheld world, but Nintendo still has those titles that people will hype over, such as earlier noted Pokemon, Mario, LoZ. Given, titles such as Resistance, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, and etc are nice too, they will never beat some of Nintendo's titles.

Given, personally, I will buy into a PsV before a 3DS, even so... you're going to see more kids and even adults running around with a 3DS and I don't say that because the 3DS released first, but from experience. Every where I have worked, been out, etc. you see the little kiddies (and some adults) with a DS, 3DS and etc. Rarely a Psp. Remember, this is from experience from people whom I don't know. Also, Nintendo handhelds seem more durable if anything, which is why I believe parents buy their kids a Nintendo handheld such as a DS over a Psp.

From what I've seen, people buy the DS for their kids because of two reasons:

1. Cheaper.

2. All of their kids' friends had a DS.

The price justification is gone now, and it's possible that not everyone will have a 3DS. Also, keep in mind the "uneducated parents" could think that the 3DS is just another DS revision, and instead opt for something new.

They also buy it because the DS has actual big selling and popular franchises that can carry the console, such as Mario, Professor Layton, Pokemon and the like.

PSP never actually had a title that could "sell" it's console. The closest thing to that would have been God of War, which is still a game that a lot of people consider better suited for a home console experience.

Edited by Carbo

They also buy it because the DS has actual big selling and popular franchises that can carry the console, such as Mario, Professor Layton, Pokemon and the like.

PSP never actually had a title that could "sell" it's console. The closest thing to that would have been God of War, which is still a game that a lot of people consider better suited for a home console experience.

Edited by LunarEdge

Yes it does. Its basically a console Mario Game in your pocket. Its trying to be a console Mario game in your pocket judging by the way it has been designed, which is a distinct mix between Galaxy and 64.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes it does. Its basically a console Mario Game in your pocket. Its trying to be a console Mario game in your pocket judging by the way it has been designed, which is a distinct mix between Galaxy and 64.

Compared to the likes of Uncharted: Golden Abyss, I'm not seeing it so much honestly. It comes off as a New Super Mario Bros style setup run through the design of Super Mario Galaxy. What we've seen frequently locks you in on squared and linear progressions, and it seems minuscule to the point that if the Wii had an online distribution service more akin to XBLA, we'd be seeing that as a downloadable title for it, if it would make it to a home console.

I could be wrong but that E3 trailer surely gave me that impression. It's not that big as most of us thought it would be.

That's actually what the impressions go on so far. It might use Super Mario Galaxy's engine, but it's a strictly handheld title. Much of this comes from the fact that the levels are set up to be quick bursts of challenge that you can finish quickly and uninterrupted, a major point to handheld gaming as you might be playing it on the go or in another situation where time is short. A lot of PSP games I have don't have the ability to quit out quickly and save your progress, at least not with you feeling a sense of accomplishment. Graphics don't make a console experience, it's the fact that it feels EXACTLY like a console game.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Actually it seems more like a 2d Mario(which is better suited for a Handheld) in half isometric/3d Form.I don't see any Galaxy, except for being Linear, and I definitly don't see any Mario 64.

I'd also argue that Star Fox 3D, even though being a port of a home console title, is extremely suited for a handheld experience. The game is criminally short, at around about one or two hours give or take. The levels are fast paced, it's incredibly straightforward and it's got a multitude of paths to play through, offering a solid and sound experience every time. Uprising looks pretty much like Sin and Punishment: Kid Icarus version, so I'd say the same probably applies for that. They're less adventurous epics and more arcade games that offer an expansive replay value.

The only games I've seen so far on the 3DS that feel way too "home consolized" are OoT3D, Snake Eater 3D and Luigi's Mansion 2, and the former two are ports.

Yes, but that argument doesn't apply to the likes of OoT 3DS, which was a full console title, and is definately a game which is difficult to play in short bursts. Kid Icarus, definately looks like an "epic" game, which would probably have been better off on the Wii U.

I don't see why the AAA games on the Vita are more suitable for a home console, than things like OoT and Kid Icarus are. The depth of the game is not only to do with its visuals, but also the gameplay. Uprising most definately does NOT look like a Pick-up-and-play kind of game, and looks to be really quite immersive. Heck the the whole point of the 3D gimmick, was to make games more immersive.

The entirity of the argument above, is fundamentally flawed, and if it isn't, it applies just as much to the 3DS as it does to the Vita.

Besides, the Vita does have those pick-up-and-play style of games, in the form of LBP Touch, Sound Shapes and Little Deviants. All of which, are a downsight more innovative and unique than anything the 3DS is offering right now (which is a slew of first party games and 3rd party console ports)

Edited by Scar

I don't see why the AAA games on the Vita are more suitable for a home console, than things like OoT and Kid Icarus are. The depth of the game is not only to do with its visuals, but also the gameplay. Uprising most definately does NOT look like a Pick-up-and-play kind of game, and looks to be really quite immersive. Heck the the whole point of the 3D gimmick, was to make games more immersive.

Have you played Sin and Punishment?

Kid Icarus: Uprising looks pretty much exactly like that, which is pick-up-and-play at it's very core. Nintendo have also said that the game is easy to pick up on, while still offering deep mechanics.

Have you played Sin and Punishment?

Kid Icarus: Uprising looks pretty much exactly like that, which is pick-up-and-play at it's very core. Nintendo have also said that the game is easy to pick up on, while still offering deep mechanics.

OK so?

I don't see how the Vita offering console-like experiences and pick-up-and-play is a flaw. Or rather, why that is a reason why the 3DS will have greater sales/Vita will be more of a niche product.

Why are we even discussing this? The relative resemblance to a console experience is completely irrelevant. Handhelds should be able to offer both deep gameplay experiences (i.e consoles, but on the move) as well as the pick-up-and-play, Angry Birds-type games. A handheld console cannot offer the latter category exclusively, because that can easily be fullfilled by a Smartphone, which has a multitude of other capabilities.

Both the 3DS and Vita are aiming for the same thing. Casual success, with hardcore desire. The 3DS is offering 'casual' games as well as the full-blooded Nintendo experience, whilst the Vita is basically a really fucking cheap, but obscenely powerful Tablet (a la iPad), which can play everything from Angry Birds to Uncharted.

OK so?

I don't see how the Vita offering console-like experiences and pick-up-and-play is a flaw. Or rather, why that is a reason why the 3DS will have greater sales/Vita will be more of a niche product.

It isn't really. Rather, this is why in many people's eyes, PSP didn't take off as much as people expected it to, as a handheld console, because it focused all too much on the former.

It's merely a matter of preference, and in my opinion, I'm not interested in the prospect of having games like Uncharted or God of War on the go when I can play superior iterations of them uninterrupted on a big TV. I'm not arguing that PS Vita isn't going to be able to do both of these, and I'll give you that Sound Shapes and Little Deviants look like cool titles I'd love to have on the go. It still however, isn't enough to win me over. I'm just curious as to where PS Vita's focus is going to be at, and if I'll ever find a game that actually sells me on the console itself.

It's not that any of the games look bad, on the contrary, Uncharted: Golden Abyss looks great. It's just that it isn't exactly gauging my interest as a title I'd much rather play on the go.

Why are we even discussing this? The relative resemblance to a console experience is completely irrelevant. Handhelds should be able to offer both deep gameplay experiences (i.e consoles, but on the move) as well as the pick-up-and-play, Angry Birds-type games. A handheld console cannot offer the latter category exclusively, because that can easily be fullfilled by a Smartphone, which has a multitude of other capabilities.

You'll find that the latter reason is exactly why Nintendo feel threatened by the growing community of those games.

No one is asking for all portable games to be Angry Birds. Personally I'm asking whether or not games on the Vita will have focus on being games that are as deep as possible and be aware that they're being made for a portable console, or games that feel like they were made for home consoles but then downported with a sense of inferiority to them. Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep on the PSP is the most massive offender of this.

But honestly that's just me, and I can see why people are interested in the prospect of playing home console-like experiences on a portable machine.

On another note every time I write Vita I get the urge to write Visa.

Edited by Carbo