Awoo.

PS Vita

Patticus

Whether a game feels like a handheld or console game is generally the deciding factor of my overall enjoyment. Okamiden for example may feel a lot like a console game, but that's its ultimate weakness as it doesn't benefit from being on the DS whatsoever, and it only makes me wish it was on a home console (as well as making me just want to go back to playing Okami, bu that's due to its watered-down nature).

Star Fox 64 I can see being on a handheld, but Ocarina of Time feels like it could have benefited more on TV. Actually, there's not much to the 3DS version that's making me want to get it over just looking for the N64 version somewhere online.

Besides, the Vita does have those pick-up-and-play style of games, in the form of LBP Touch, Sound Shapes and Little Deviants. All of which, are a downsight more innovative and unique than anything the 3DS is offering right now (which is a slew of first party games and 3rd party console ports)

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Uh. How is LBP Touch more innovative? It just looks like they took LBP 2 and slapped it on the Vita with some touch pad gimmicks. Just saying, man. That's a load of horseshit, that's what people were doing on DS and Wii.

Whilst, you probably are right, I don't ever recall there being a game remotely like LBP on the DS and Wii (unless, I misconstrued your point).

Realistically, though, you and I both know that whist the core LBP2 engine is the same, the stages given will be brand new and completely different, with various gimmicks. Calling LBP Touch "LBP2 with touch gimmicks", is about as fair as calling Mario 3DS "Mario Galaxy 2, but with 3D and Touchp-screen gimmicks". Its a harsh generalisation that can be applied anywhere.

As for Little Deviants and Sound Shapes, can't say anything about those because they seem entirely uninteresting, and you know those won't sell consoles.

Little Diviants and Sound Shapes are obviously not system sellers, in the same sense that Steel Diver 3D is not a system seller. The only thing selling either console, is the [promise of] first-party titles; Mario, Kid Icarus on the 3DS, and Uncharted, LBP Touch on the Vita.

The point I'm trying to make is, the Vita isn't devoid of any kind of pick-up-and-play games. They are there. And Sound Shapes sounds really awesome in my opinion. The level music is played as you play and beat the level. The better you are at the level, the better the music becomes. Its a really interesting concept and from impressions I've read of it, people are quite excited for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

My argument was that you seem to be saying that Nintendo is doing the same old thing, but Sony isn't even when their biggest titles are LBP and Uncharted. I could have, of course, misunderstood what you were originally saying, which makes this all kinds of stupid.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

My argument was that you seem to be saying that Nintendo is doing the same old thing, but Sony isn't even when their biggest titles are LBP and Uncharted. I could have, of course, misunderstood what you were originally saying, which makes this all kinds of stupid.

That wasn't my point. My point was that the Vita too has unique pick-up-and-play titles. People are assuming that it will be similar to the PSP, in that it will have a limited library of games which are too deep to work on a handheld. This may be a fairly logical extrapolation to make, but I would wait till launch before making that assertion.

Both companies are doing the same thing. Releasing portable versions of their key franchises. Those are the things that sell systems to the gamers. I have no doubt that both Sony and Nintendo will attempt to attract the casuals with their consoles to gain extra, perhipheral sales. Sony though, has more bases covered, because what they lack in Vita sales, they can make up for with Playstation Certified Android Devices and the Xperia Play line of smartphones.

That's the thing, though. Nintendo's key franchises have a much wider appeal than any of the Sony ones, perhaps save for LBP. That's why it will still be a niche product.

That's the thing, though. Nintendo's key franchises have a much wider appeal than any of the Sony ones, perhaps save for LBP. That's why it will still be a niche product.

• Thumbs Up 4

When you look at the 30% to 70% difference in PSP to DS, that's pretty niche.

And where did these statistics come from, pray tell?

• Thumbs Up 2

When you look at the 30% to 70% difference in PSP to DS, that's pretty niche.

Regardless of the actual sales figures, the Sony has made its presences known in regards to handheld gaming. And considering Nintendo's dominance over the handheld market even that much of a difference is still a sizable and respectable chunk that Sony has taken.

I still think the PSP as a whole is a success and the Vita will likely be just as successful if not moreso. Especially with both of them being sold at the same price point.

'Niche' and 'not as popular as the DS' are two entirely different things.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2

And where did these statistics come from, pray tell?

The most recent sales numbers from the end of the fiscal year.

PSP: 68.8

DS: 146.42

Total:215.22 million

Do the math:

PSP: Roughly 32

DS: Roughly 68

Round to the closest 5 and you get 30 percent for 70 percent. 30 percent isn't a failure, but it's ludicrous to think Sony is going to dominate the market. They're going to stay in their lucrative pocket.

Edited by Hero Of Fate
  • Bad Quality Post 2

• 1 month later...

Since its almost certainly going to be region free, I can't imagine it will put a damper on things for those that really want one this year.

Until games I actually care about are announced, I don't care.

Honestly going by the Wikipedia list, the game I care most about is "Unannounced Hideo Kojima Game" >_>

Having recently gone and purchased a PlayStation Portable (and having been surprised at how brilliant a console it actually is) then I'm going to go ahead and say it... come next year, getting my own PSVita is going to take priority over a Nintendo 3DS. In fact, I'm even thinking that my current DS Lite is enough for me (as it has GameBoy Advance backwards compatibility, ensuring a host of incredible videogames) and that the future of my gaming will take place primarily on Sony consoles. My "big" console is a PlayStation3, my favourite console of all time remains the PlayStation2 and damn, I love my new PlayStation Portable.

Watching the recent winds of change rustle through E3, I think now is finally the time for a huge, popular Sony handheld. Indeed, the other major competition (the Nintendo 3DS) just got the price slashed dramatically, and I heard Nintendo executives were taking massive paycuts to avoid financial trouble? The reaction to the new Wii-U wasn't as positive as people expected, too, as that tries to muddy the waters between "home console" and "handheld fun" by creating some crazed zombie hybrid of the two. And while Microsoft tie themselves in knots as they flail around in front of a Kinect sensor bar, Sony quietly stepped up and said "Hey guys, here's a PSVita. It'll be like having a PlayStation3 in your pocket and has plenty of features for future development and innovation. Thank you for your time."

I was deeply impressed, and in the wake of actually loving my PlayStation Portable (which I didn't expect in the slightest... I just wanted to be a fanboy and play Sonic Rivals, if I'm honest) I've done a bit more research on the PSVita. While I'm disappointed that it won't be arriving here in the United Kingdom until 2012, I shouldn't be, as there's always plenty out right before Christmas and I've a backlog of ten UMDs to trawl through in the meantime. So from an entirely personal perspective (as always, I don't wish to cause a console war, and apologies if my summary of E3 offends any supporters of other gaming brands) I'm excited for PSVita.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeeeep, fuck it. Not bothering with PS Vita until years from now then. Just don't feel like busting out 249 for the Vita when the Wii U is seeing release as early as 5 months after it's NA launch.

I was deciding between this and the 3DS and Ive decided to settle with this.

I guess Im not for Nintendo as I used to be these days.

Yeeeep, fuck it. Not bothering with PS Vita until years from now then. Just don't feel like busting out 249 for the Vita when the Wii U is seeing release as early as 5 months after it's NA launch.

With all due respect, the article regarding the PSVita delay says it'll most likely be January/February 2012, as Sony are adopting a staggered roll-out of the console. So that's well within four/five months of the Japanese release in November.

I agree it is pretty expensive for a handheld, though, despite the plethora of features.

Ever since the PSP launched I always thought myself that an approximate estimate of 249 is essentially somewhat of a norm when it comes to handheld pricing nowadays, at least from a business perspective, and seeing the PS Vita's price still strikes me as odd because of how incredibly generous it is when you consider it's features. Same can be said for the 3DS now after it's price drop.

I'm still not buying a PS Vita until a title comes out for it that isn't a specific gimmick seller or a downsized console title.

Ever since the PSP launched I always thought myself that an approximate estimate of 249 is essentially somewhat of a norm when it comes to handheld pricing nowadays, at least from a business perspective, and seeing the PS Vita's price still strikes me as odd because of how incredibly generous it is when you consider it's features. Same can be said for the 3DS now after it's price drop.

Fair enough, I suppose! happy.gif

Having only really gotten into handheld videogames last year, I admit my own novice status when it comes to the details, marketing and pricing of new handheld consoles. I guess I was judging it against my PlayStation3, which I purchased brand new for £259.99 a few months ago, and thinking "They're charging the same for a smaller thing?"

This'll be the first handheld console I eagerly anticipate and track during launch, so I guess I'll use it to learn stuff.

Thanks for the clarification! happy.gif

With all due respect, the article regarding the PSVita delay says it'll most likely be January/February 2012, as Sony are adopting a staggered roll-out of the console. So that's well within four/five months of the Japanese release in November.

I agree it is pretty expensive for a handheld, though, despite the plethora of features.

I meant that Wii U will release as early as April 2012.

I'm still not buying a PS Vita until a title comes out for it that isn't a specific gimmick seller or a downsized console title.

They still don't really sell until they're under 249. PSP sales didn't pick up until it got several price drops.

I meant that Wii U will release as early as April 2012.

Ah, understood, fair enough! *salutes* That is a lot of money in a short space of time!

I am totaly buying Vita. For relase I will probably pick uo Uncharted and Wipeout. I am really imterested in future Sonic games that will come out on this system.

Personally I am most excited for this game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2c35Ab--Vs

Also I am going to probably pick up a PS Vita ASAP. I've also been toying around with once I'm out on my own, if I could pony up the cash to get my own development kit for it and try and group together a couple other guys and see about making a cool game for it. I'm almost out of college now for this stuff and after working at a games company for a bit I'll have a bit more knowledge into a standard videogame pipeline, so I'd love to just start toying around with creating a prototype of a game I've wanted to make for a while. Seeing as Sony is being really supportive of indie devs with the Vita it is certainly yet another incentive for me to want to get it.

3DS and its price cut is nice, but I think by this point I am just going to wait. Had Megaman Legends 3 prototype come out and the game was green lit I'd have let that satisfy me for now until other titles I wanted were to arrive, but now that that is canned I've got nothing in the foreseeable future that I really want on the 3DS outside of that new WayForward game which is just a downloadable title anyway. I'll stick with the Vita instead for now!

• Thumbs Up 1