Awoo.

PS Vita

Patticus

Not being able to play PSP games is a bummer though. Especially since not every PSP game is on the Store (Birth By Sleep).

• Thumbs Up 2

Horrendous battery life, bleeding-edge technical specs, a potentially massive launch price and a bundle of age-old console ports as its only source of games - from my standpoint, it sounds more like a bad follow-up to Sega's Game Gear than the genuinely incredible portable that Sony made it out to be...

1. According to a Eurogamer source, the battery life is 4-5 hours, similar to the 3DS' 3-5 hour battery life.

2. What's wrong with great technical specs?

3. Wait until they announce the price, and then complain.

4. I just posted a quote in my from Sony's EU boss saying that they and the third party publishers they've spoken to aren't interested in bringing ports to the NGP.

Horrendous battery life, bleeding-edge technical specs, a potentially massive launch price and a bundle of age-old console ports as its only source of games - from my standpoint, it sounds more like a bad follow-up to Sega's Game Gear than the genuinely incredible portable that Sony made it out to be...

Funny Story; as Shadz just pointed out, the developers don't just want to Nostalgia-whore.

Also, as of right now, the 3DS has more Nostalgia-ports than the NGP does. In fact, it seems that all of the games on display here are brand new.

Again, they're releasing it Christmas/next year. Hardware prices can (and probably will fall) as new technology is released, by the time we reach launch.

• Thumbs Up 2

You guys need to realize there haven't been any actual 3rd party games shown. Just a couple tech demos shown to prove that PSP BC is factible (MonHun), that the system supports high end engines (Unreal) and that PS3 developers can now target both platforms easily (MGS4, Yakuza).

Proper list of ACTUAL 3rd party games will surface at E3.

You guys need to realize there haven't been any actual 3rd party games shown. Just a couple tech demos shown to prove that PSP BC is factible (MonHun), that the system supports high end engines (Unreal) and that PS3 developers can now target both platforms easily (MGS4, Yakuza).

Proper list of ACTUAL 3rd party games will surface at E3.

I'm aware of that myself, and I can't say I've seen anyone here look to be under the impression that those third party demos shown were actual games. Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to what E3 will bring. After seeing what the new tech e.g. touch screen, rear touch pad, sixaxis, gorgeous graphics and second analogue stick can do for a game in the Uncharted demo, I really want to see what other developers can do with it all.

You guys don't actually think that companies won't go port crazy on this do you?

Of course they will. The 3DS is proof that they will.

• Thumbs Up 3

You guys don't actually think that companies won't go port crazy on this do you?

I'd rather they don't, but some are bound to. I was just posting a quote from Sony Europe's boss who was asked about the subject. I'd love it if what he says is true, but he did only say the "publishers they've spoken to". There might be some they haven't spoken to yet that want to do a port or some that come on board later that want to do a port.

Pretty upset it doesn't have BC for my whole collection of PSP games. Also, like PSP, it doesn't exactly have a strong line-up. Uncharted and LBP are good ones, but that's about it. I'd probably wait a few years before getting it, like I did with PSP.

Pretty upset it doesn't have BC for my whole collection of PSP games. Also, like PSP, it doesn't exactly have a strong line-up. Uncharted and LBP are good ones, but that's about it. I'd probably wait a few years before getting it, like I did with PSP.

Yes, this is an issue. I think they should allow UMD data and save-data to be saved onto a Memory-stick, so it can be transferred to the NGP.

Either that, or just have a trade-in system, where you trade in the UMD, to get a Flash-cart-re-release of the same game, and then transfer your save data.

If they do that, then they'll have 60 Million PSP owners behind them.

Also, please Sony, have a Mini-HDMI or some kind of video-out port so you can play the NGP exclusives on your HDTV, like you could with the old PSP3000.

Also, I'm waiting for launch-title details at E3.

Edited by Scar

[insert any quote made by you regarding the same criticisms about the 3DS in the exact same areas only remove the defence about the bulk of games being ports of old games as psp2 doesn't seem to have that and I think we've established that our bets at Landbrokers that SSMBs number 1 anti Sony member would slagg it off are safe.]

• Thumbs Up 8

I think it looks pretty! :lol:

Just needs a few more studios to get on board with the big titles (and something a bit different) and i'm sold.

I'm interested to see what price they will be asking for though. And I can't be doing with the games costing £45+ like PS3 games are atm <_<

Edited by gim_gam

So, in other words, exactly what I said: no ability to play PlayStation Portable games, and everything online. Sorry, but I don't count downloadable games as proper games because, well... they're not. They don't come in a box with a manual. They're not games.

Sony created the UMD and they're about to summarily kill it. Nice.

So... your saying all downloadable games aren't games? That's a ignorant thing to say I'm sorry. Just because developers gave us the option to have the UMD or have a digital copy doesn't automatically deem the digital copy "not a game." Some formats work and others don't. UMD wasn't the greatest form of media and Sony knows this, so they are dropping it, big deal, thats not going to kill us. Yea, for those who have the UMD's who can't play it on the PSP2, I do feel for, but since it's not going to be released till Holiday 2011, they have plenty of time to save up for the PSP2 w/o having to trade in their PSP1.

• Thumbs Up 2

Like the 3DS, is the battery life on everything maxed?

Also, lol'd that Sony failed Backwards Compatibility.....again.

Otherwise, looks good. I don't buy more than 1 console/handheld though, so I won't buy it but WILL support it.

Like the 3DS, is the battery life on everything maxed?

Also, lol'd that Sony failed Backwards Compatibility.....again.

Otherwise, looks good. I don't buy more than 1 console/handheld though, so I won't buy it but WILL support it.

How will you support it, if you don't buy it? :lol:

I mean defending it and not saying "OMG IT SUXORZ! NINTENDO IS MUCH BETTER!111!". I can't support it Physically though.

Also:

inb4599usdollars

Downloadable games are still games. The only practical difference is that you have no claim to ownership for them.

If they do (which I think they probably will, third party statements to the contrary notwithstanding), it most likely won't be any worse than the same situation will be on the 3DS. The only difference is that they will be PS360 ports rather than the WiiS2 ports the 3DS will end up getting.

And by the way, despite what it appears to be, I am not actually here on the forum. It is only your imaginations.

Edited by Tornado

I adopted a PSP 2000 when it came out, and while I appreciate the system a lot. I have to say outside of Patapon, LocoRoco, the remakes and ports of decent PSOne/2/3 games the other stuff never interested me much. That said recently I have been playing the very excellent Birth by Sleep and Loco Roco 2 too. It's a great system that basically became the console equivalent of a latchkey kid, left to cope on it's own accord with some third party help, with poppa Sony occasionally turning up for Christmases and Birthdays with the odd gift of a game or two.

NGP looks funky, theres no denying that spec-wise this system kicks the 3DS's butt all over the place (and then some). I'm sure those that love their PS3's and HiDef stuff will be all over this, specially if they like Sony's usual game offerings. So, in respect for a decent competitor, I shall not bash the system itself. Because frankly, it's a great piece of kit and formidable opponent.

BUT

It yet remains to be seen what kind of support Sony plans to give the system in terms of software and such. I mean the suggested offerings do sound pretty nice (Little Big Planet will always be a winner with me) but it needs unique IP's and some eyecatching titles for those that don't care about FPS's or Action Adventure type stuff. Plus MUCH more consistent support to keep the system going, even during quiet periods. Otherwise it will befall the same fate as the PSP.

I would think that Sony releasing the PSP2 around the Holiday Season would be for the best. For those of you who are saying "With the 3DS releasing soon, wtf is Sony thinking," I say... are you serious? If Sony were to release this around the same as the 3DS, of course it's not going to sell as well (the PSP2 that is). By the holiday season, most people who want one should have the money saved up, for those who don't, it will make for a good present. As much as I would like to get my hands on it ASAP, there's no competing with Nintendo when they release anything new because people jump on that bandwagon so blindly it's kinda funny.

I think it looks pretty! :lol:

Just needs a few more studios to get on board with the big titles (and something a bit different) and i'm sold.

I'm interested to see what price they will be asking for though. And I can't be doing with the games costing £45+ like PS3 games are atm <_<

Why did I read this as "big tities?"

*looks at soda*

No more caffeine for me today.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sony: NGP battery life target is that of the PSP 3000's

The sight of Sony's new NGP gaming handheld running demos of PlayStation 3 games is both exciting and terrifying for those concerned about the so-called PSP2's battery life. Sony tells Kotaku that we can expect a decent amount of charge.

The battery life target is the same as that of the current PSP 3000 model, Sony exec Shuhei Yoshida told Kotaku in Tokyo after the NGP was revealed. That PSP model gets between four and six hours.

If Sony achieves its target, the NGP would have a battery life that's also comparable to the less powerful 3DS, the next handheld gaming machine from Nintendo. The makers of Mario estimate that their machine will last 3-5 hours with its 3D functionality activated and up to eight hours with it turned off.

A game creator familiar with the NGP development kit told Kotaku that Sony's powerhouse portable is proving to have better battery life than the PSP 3000 on current kits, though readers should note that finished gaming hardware doesn't always run at the exact same specs as development kits. Our source credits the NGP's efficient chips and the fact that its games run off of flash media, as opposed to the discs that spun in most models of the PSP.

The NGP is expected later this year.

http://kotaku.com/5744900/ngp-battery-life-will-be-comparable-to-the-psps

It probably has more to do with the screen than anything else. Not using UMDs does improve battery life on the PSP, but not as much as you would expect (because UMD usage varies from game to game). The screen settings on the original PSP has more of an effect (as anyone who migrated from a 2000 to a 3000 can tell you), so switching to OLED for a screen that large probably saved at least 10% by itself.

And by the way, despite what it appears to be, I am not actually here on the forum. It is only your imaginations.

Edited by Tornado