Awoo.

PS Vita

Patticus

From the Unite Tokyo 2015 event.

CCc3IEvVIAAHsQN.jpg

"PS Vita System software 3.50 allows for 30% more memory size usage with games."

Well son, looks like you can at last download more RAM.

• Thumbs Up 2

CCc3IEvVIAAHsQN.jpg

"PS Vita System software 3.50 allows for 30% more memory size usage with games."

Does that mean we have more space in our memory card or something?

EDIT: Nevermind, I realized you meant 30% more RAM for games. But it does make me question how much the previous system software used, considering the Vita has 512 MB of RAM.

CCc3IEvVIAAHsQN.jpg

What the hell? How much RAM did the previous OS's use?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm all for seeing different coloured PS Vitas, but will you please just start fucking releasing games for it Sony? I know this may shock you, BUT, when you start putting effort into giving your handheld a library of games and exclusives, that tends to give people a reason to get your console!

I mean for fuck sake, we haven't even heard anything about Gravity Rush 2 in like two years.

• Thumbs Up 2

I mean for fuck sake, we haven't even heard anything about Gravity Rush 2 in like two years.

That's because it's now a PS4 game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fucking hell...

rL4b.png

They quoted the review but... my God what where they thinking with that quote.

• Thumbs Up 5

Fucking hell...

rL4b.png

They quoted the review but... my God what where they thinking with that quote.

What an oversight. I'm going to just assume they probably don't care anymore. There haven't been any major Vita announcements in several months. The system is pretty much dead in the water, but if you enjoy mediocre JRPGs, they've got you covered on that. 

That wasn't a compliment.

For fuck sake Sony.

Being totally honest. I love the Vita. It's my favourite handheld of all time, the power, and potential behind it alone made it that. Games like Golden Abyss and Gravity Rush alone made me happy to have the console. Games like Tearaway have given me an amazing portable experience. I still remember the first time I saw the Tearaway announce trailer.

I loved everything about what I saw. The music sounded peaceful and filled of adventure, the world looked so unbelievably creative, and showcased some of the amazing things the Vita can do, and the story was a unique idea of having the player, and the character just interact with each other to reach the destination, It was a brilliant idea.

The Vita can even handle fucking PS3 games as well. Uncharted Golden Abyss easily rivals the graphics of the original Uncharted, and that was a fucking 2006 PS3 game, on a handheld! There was other stuff as well like Sly Cooper Thieves in Time that had to be cut down a little in terms of graphics but still looked pretty damn good and ran at a solid framerate, and PS All-Stars which looked really good as well.

There's only one problem with the Vita and that's easily Sony. They've fucked the entire thing up. Where Nintendo had faith in the 3DS and was determined to fix their mistake at launch, Sony decided to be fucking idiots, and just kept releasing Vita models, rather than actually working on any games. Even worst was the Vita did have a leg up at launch, because it was one of the few consoles to have a decent launch lineup, with stuff like Wipeout 2048, Uncharted Golden Abyss, and Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, and yet Sony didn't give the Vita the time it needed.

There's one simple problem with the Vita and that problem can easily be fixed if Sony just got one or two first parties to work on a game or two for the Vita. Get the guys behind Golden Abyss to make a sequel, since they don't seem to be making anything, or even get Ready at Dawn to work on a game for it now that they're done with The Order. 

Even get old school gamers in the mix by reviving old franchises on the Vita. Could you imagine what would happened if Ape Escape 4, or Jak 4, or PaRappa 3 was announced on Vita? Not only would the Vita have a library that would convince older gamers to go towards it, it's also testing the waters for these older franchises to make a return.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

So not sure if this is a nation wide thing but...

Today I was in GAME and went over to the Vita section, they appear to be selling off new games for really cheap prices. The store was a small one so the selection was already small... but they had 3 new games in stock. 

Lego Jurassic World = £24.99

Freedom Wars = £9.99 (this is £25 on their website)

Muppets = £9.99  (this is £25 on their website).

Now freedom wars is a pretty good game, Muppets is apparently not too bad either, these are more than double the price online, but instore they're only £10? And yes they are new copies.

Snagged Freedom Wars, a steal at that price.

• 1 month later...

Well, it's official. The PS Vita has no more first-party games in development.

As a Vita owner, I'm saddened, but unfortunately not surprised. While I haven't played Tearaway, I loved games like Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, and WipEout 2048 and basically played them to death. I still think it's a beautiful, amazing handheld with a ton of potential, but I have to echo Ryan's thoughts on this one: Sony treated it like absolute crap and didn't give it nearly the support it deserved. Even now, their lack of interest in the platform during the years leading up to this still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

It's good that the series that got their start on the Vita will continue to live on through the PS4, at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, thanks Sony. I really fucking care about your new line of colourful Vita models....WHEN YOU JUST FUCKING CONFIRMED YOU CAN'T BE ARSED TO WORK ON ANY GAMES FOR THE CONSOLE.

Fuck Sake, Jim Sterling needs to do a fucking Jimquistion on this shit.

Yes, thanks Sony. I really fucking care about your new line of colourful Vita models....WHEN YOU JUST FUCKING CONFIRMED YOU CAN'T BE ARSED TO WORK ON ANY GAMES FOR THE CONSOLE.

Is there even a reason to be pissed about this? 

Even when they were making games for it, the support wasn't there. It's not their fault nobody wants the thing and it makes no sense to waste more time on it.

Is there even a reason to be pissed about this? 

Even when they were making games for it, the support wasn't there. It's not their fault nobody wants the thing and it makes no sense to waste more time on it.

Maybe if they bothered making more exclusives than four big names (Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Killzone, and Tearaway, two of which were already on consoles) then maybe it might have had better support, the £200 price point didn't help things either. 3DS was in the same state at launch as well but unlike Sony, Nintendo actually got their shit together and didn't abandon it right away. They decreased the price point, and began making more exclusives that made it worth while getting. Sony literally just made 4 or 5 noteworthy games on Vita, all of which were extremely spread out, and then abandoned it the first chance they got rather than actually trying to fix the mistake they made.

And yes, being told that a console that's only three years old that you have bought isn't getting any more support anymore is a pretty damn good reason to be pissed,

I still have the Vita but I moved on. It's just a remote play machine to me now. I'm not even sad anymore.

Maybe if they bothered making more exclusives than four big names (Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Killzone, and Tearaway, two of which were already on consoles) then maybe it might have had better support, the £200 price point didn't help things either. 3DS was in the same state at launch as well but unlike Sony, Nintendo actually got their shit together and didn't abandon it right away. They decreased the price point, and began making more exclusives that made it worth while getting. Sony literally just made 4 or 5 noteworthy games on Vita, all of which were extremely spread out, and then abandoned it the first chance they got rather than actually trying to fix the mistake they made.

And yes, being told that a console that's only three years old that you have bought isn't getting any more support anymore is a pretty damn good reason to be pissed,

You shouldn't be pissed because it's been neglected for ages. People should by all means be over the Vita by now. Even when they were supporting it with games, it wasn't working. People just care less about handhelds in general now. Nintendo got lucky in that they have series like Pokemon that will draw kids in but Sony didn't have anything like that that wasn't also available on console. Most teenagers and young adults playing mobile games instead means that the Vita didn't really have a chance. 

Them abandoning it means more effort going toward the console actually worth caring about, the PS4.

You forgot the mention the ridiculous memory card prices.

• 1 month later...

I'm lazy and couldn't find a PSP thread if there is one, but the PS Store on PSP is closing in Japan on March 31st.

Sony Computer Entertainment will close the PlayStation Store on PSP in Japan on March 31, 2016, the company announced.

This means that you will no longer be able to purchase PSP content via the PSP PlayStation Store. However, PSP content will still remain available to purchase via the web store, PlayStation 3 store, and PS Vita store. And previously purchased content can still be directly downloaded to PSP.

Additionally, Sony announced that its UMD Passport Service, which allowed PS Vita users to register their physical PSP games and purchase digital versions for a small fee, will also end on March 31.