Awoo.

New Thundercats series?

Mollfie

thundercatsofficial.png

http://io9.com/5743106/first-look-at-the-anime+style-thundercats

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/01/25/the-new-thundercats-cartoon-first-pic/

http://www.mania.com/first-new-thundercats-image-surfaces_article_127947.html

Would you watch it?? I so would, I vaugely remember Thundercats (enough to know I thought it was awesome) and I would watch this. Thundercats was always a sort of western style (but it was made in Japan), but I like seeing it updated to look more modern and you have to consider who this is aimed at.

via Wikipedia

The show has been hinted at explaining Lion-O's climb to the throne with a more original anime feel and darker style. In early November 2010, former Lion-O voice actor Larry Kenney revealed that he would be playing the role of Lion-O and Tygra's father Claudius in the opening three-part episode of the new series.

Thoughts?

I imagine that a fair amount of members may have no seen Thundercats at all.

Edit:

Producer Ethan Spauling talks about Thundercats: http://www.comicbooktherapy.com/producer-ethan-spaulding-talks-thundercats/

Edited by Mollfie

I know there's a real big market for 1980's cartoons (well 1980's stuff in general) and I'm sure that some of those 80's nostalgic people will love it or they may absolutely hate it. Who knows. I was never a fan of Thundercats. I have a friend who loves 'em, he has a Thundercats shirt. I'll have to call him about this and ask him what he thinks about a new Thundercats series. We'll see how well this show turns out. I'll give it a chance when it airs, but that's highly unlikely.

• Thumbs Up 1

My brother is going to go mental. :lol:

I was aware of it, growing up, but he was a proper fan. So much so that, a few years back, when I asked him what he wanted for Christmas his immediate answer was "They're bringing out a DVD of Thundercats, please please please!"

Personally, though? I'm okay, ta. :D

I just recently finished all the DVDs of the original series and loved going back that show. That being said, it's a show that could use a more modern revamp. For as awesome a show the original was, it had a lot of shortcomings, such as the over-abundance of morals (yes, it was a kid show) and numerous plotholes. So I'm looking forward to what they can do with a new version that hopefully takes the leash off that hindered some parts of the original.

Also, I like the new looks... except for Panthro. He's totally missing that cool look he had in the original. Now he just looks... old.

Edited by Snatcher2047

It's funny, I actually have no recollection of ever seeing Thundercats as a kid at all, ever. Which is odd, since a lot of other people around my age seem to remember it.

So yeah, having never seen it, I'm obviously not fussed, although I remember a friend at Uni who was a total die-hard fan of the series. :lol:

I definitely remember Thundercats growing up, so this new series has certainly caught my interest. It's great that the original actor of Lion-O is going to come back for the new series!

I was too young to have ever seen much Thundercats as a kid, so my first real exposure to the series was seeing a few episodes a couple of months ago. And... I dunno; I thought it was pretty lousy. I guess you had to have been there at the time.

I have to admit, though, I'm fairly interested in this revival. The character designs are considerably better than the original's, at least, so it could be fun to watch if it gets a decent animation budget. I'll keep an eye out for this.

Hopefully the rest of the animation will live up to its opening this time.

Almost all cartoons from the 80s and even the 90s suffered from that problem. Mega Man comes to mind.

Is that Jet from Cowboy Bebop trying to cosplay as Panthro...?

Anyways, I do not remember much about Thundercats at all, but I was apparently really into it as an elementary schooler. I'll check out this reboot whenever it comes out, it looks like it could have the potential to be interesting. Those designs look pretty nifty, and surely the writing will be better than most cartoons of the 80's.

They decided to make Liono a bit younger and Panthro older and more like a veteran. Makes sense to me. I don't have a problem with how he looks lol.

Although their claw-feet kinda creep me out >.>

It's a shame Mumm-Ra's voice actor Earl Hammond passed away, because nothing could ever match his WAY over the top portrayal of him. I have a feeling they are going to make Mumm-Ra a little more subdued and serious in this new version.

EDIT:

99253450-c51b-4b6b-81c1-283bffb37629.jpg

New Snarf. Cute.

Edited by Snatcher2047

I hope the new Thundercats' series have a different phrase than the derogatory term people call to prostitutes.

Cannot unsee!

It's a shame Mumm-Ra's voice actor Earl Hammond passed away, because nothing could ever match his WAY over the top portrayal of him. I have a feeling they are going to make Mumm-Ra a little more subdued and serious in this new version.

Something tells me that John Dimaggio will be voicing Mumm-Ra in this new cartoon.

Gonna run through my opinions on the redesign:

Lion-O: Way to anime, and aside from the sword and the hair, there isn't that much to even tell that we're looking at a redesigned Lion-O. That they made him younger gives me the impression that they didn't really watch much of the show, most of Lion-O's development early in the show was about him having the mind of a teenager in the body of an adult due to a malfunctioning suspension chamber. I do appreciate that they smoothed out the transition on his forearms to get rid of that reverse farmer's tan he had before, but overall, not a very good redesign. In actor terms, this would be like Shia Labeouf playing a role previously portrayed by Steve McQueen, I wish I was joking.

Panthro: I can appreciate the desire to make Panthro look like something other than a goblin, but now he looks like the lovechild of Jet from Bebop and Beast from X-Men. You remember he's supposed to look like a cat, right? Thay also seem to have changed his eye color.

Tigra: Thundercats, They're Grrrreat! (I wonder if anyone will figure out why I made this association. Hint: it's the arms.) Also, why's he using a gun? Tigra's whip can make him invisible, extend seemingly indefinitely, and change shape seemingly arbitrarily, and so they gave him a gun? Plus, this is a kids show, so they're not actually going to allow him to shoot anything, and if they do, it's not going to have any effect that his whip wouldn't have. They also seem to have changed the color of his eyes for some reason.

Cheetara: This design really grates on me. Also, she seems to have barely any spots. Those spots where kinda important, to maker her look like... Eh, even if I were face to face with the guy who did these designs I'm pretty sure I'd still feel like I had a wet blanket draped over my head. New eye color, why not.

Why do I keep harping on eye color? Because all the cats that these characters are based on all have yellow eyes, that's why. There's this stray cat that lives around my house that has eyes roughly the same color as New Lion-O's eyes, which is kinda funny when you think about it.

Snarf: Kinda creepy, like he has a tendency to stare. Also, vertical pupils for some reason. Snarf isn't a cat, doncha know.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, you can really see the anime vibes in the trailer. Trailer looks suitably epic and seems to have more animation in it than the old show had in a whole season. XP I'm looking forward to this, any word on when it's out?

I never could stand watching ThunderCats and I remember being bored to death every minute of it whenever I caught it on TV as a kid.

It may be because Studio 4°C is involved, but I'm interested in this new series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, man. Dad's gonna get a kick out of this.

Definitely going to watch this myself, btw.

Oh, and HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Haha! I was looking at that picture and was wondering why Panthro looked so familiar! He totally looks like Jet! That being said.

I'm excited about this! I didn't watch much of the Thundercats as a kid. But the little I did watch, I fell in love with the series. I may pick up the box set of the DVDs to refresh my memory. I'm looking forward to watching the new series. Also original voice actor of Lion-o FTW! I loved the voice of Lion-o!