Awoo.

Mobius/Earth Map?

Signpost

So since the time of Sonic 1, there has been South Island, and then West Island in Sonic 2, and then Angel Island in Sonic 3. Also, there is a Christmas Island Sonic was supposedly born on and there is also Flicky Island from Sonic 3D Blast. And then after that things go a little crazy. There is Coconut Island in Tails Adventure and then we have to figure out how everything fits in from Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.

Has anyone ever mapped the Sonic world with all it's Zones? Some games probably don't need to be mapped because they

A) Are part of a outside field that is eventually removed (Sonic Colors, Sonic CD, etc.)

B ) Some games may not be canonical enough to be considered, being developed by a 3rd party, such as Sonic Battle's inconsistencies with Tails' Workshop location and Knuckles' location not being on Angel Island. I'm also inclined to not include Sonic Chronicles because of some problems with positioning things, but maybe it could work out.

And if you don't give a crap about the Sonic world map, please don't complain about it on here; this is just for fun.

Edited by Signpost

Ever since Unleashed I've enjoyed trying my best to fit locations in on that map. For example Empire City (located in an American Style Country) and Shamar (located in a desert country) are on the same continent. ...Much like San Francisco/Central City and the "Desert Area" of SA2 are, suggesting SA2 takes place within the same continent of Empire City and Shamar.

I'm sure it never crossed the developer's minds once, but it's still fun to speculate.

For bonus points that'd make South Island also in the same area, that small island Green Hill is on in SA2.

Might also be fun to speculate what "zones" might take place in the same locations - even if conflicting game maps mess it up. For example, Water Palace of Sonic Rush could easily be set nearby Apotos.

I distinctively remember someone who ran into the same problem as you did and charted the distinctive game locations into a worldwide map.

I do know that past games have used a world map in the texture backgrounds like Shadow the Hedgehog did; still not sure if 06' Sonic had a world map texture.

SegaSonicEarthMapPreview4.png

This one is based on someone's concept of the game locations.

If you search Google images with the title "Mobius game location maps" you can come across a bunch of different images spanning from the comic to fanmade game locations.

I attempted this once... then I got tired. I'm going to suggest this: use Sonic Unleashed as a guide line. Unfortunately, Sonic Rush and Adventure 2 have different maps so it's not that easy.

Edited by Edge

Here is a Map i've had on my computer for a while. It's really based on the classic Contentpost-2055-0-04473700-1296355341_thumb.gi

Here is another one, though i'm not sure which one is more accurate map_of_mobius_by_Clyra_The_Wolf.jpg

Edited by Holy Shrimp

The main problem with this is that Sonic Team really Does Not Give A Shit about how Sonic's world is laid out. Arguably for the better since it allows the world to be effectively infinite, with any new locations simply being "somewhere" rather than being pinned to one of the fewer-and-fewer empty areas on the map. Of course, when you make a game claiming to be a "World Adventure" complete with 3D globe which contradicts previous maps and will surely be contradicted in the future (if it hasn't already), you're inviting the fans to pick the whole issue apart. Of course, Sonic Team still Does Not Give A Shit, so it's not like they mind.

So, really, with basically no references to where any particular game takes place relative to any other, and without even the guarantee that the continents will be the same, there's no way to put together a map that isn't just pure conjecture.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not so much a map, but I found this here post that groups pretty much every location from the universe into the major regions (South Island, West Island, Angel Island etc.) and other miscellaneous global areas present in the games.

Edited by Black Spy

You know what I do wish? If I could have just ONE continuity thinger in Sonic, I wish they had kept the moon destroyed after SA2. Yes, fan theory dictates it would have reformed, and yes newer fans might be confused I guess, but it would add a touch of surreal to the franchise, even on the more realistic levels.

• Thumbs Up 2

I figure the map in Unleashed is supposed to be the "official" world map. A mere retcon of the map shown in Shadow the Hedgehog, no more significant than Sonic's green eyes or the current shape of the Chaos Emeralds. But I still wish there was more consistency. It'd make the games' world feel more "real". The moon, as mentioned above, is one such thing I wish had stayed for subsequent games.

What is Sonic's planet anyway? I mean it's Earth, I know, but is it supposed to be our Earth or an alternate Earth? I always figured it was Earth in the future, hence the real-world locations alongside the more futuristic ones like the cities in the Riders games. That'd also explain the geography and the fact that real people and places have been mentioned in some of the games.

Also, Water Palace in Rush is obviously Apotos or at least a nearby location. So is the first zone in Rivals 2.

You know what I do wish? If I could have just ONE continuity thinger in Sonic, I wish they had kept the moon destroyed after SA2. Yes, fan theory dictates it would have reformed, and yes newer fans might be confused I guess, but it would add a touch of surreal to the franchise, even on the more realistic levels.
Yeah, just ignoring what happened to the moon has always baffled me. I really can't think of any downside to keeping it damaged; even for people new to the series it'd just seem like a surreal touch, hardly out of place given all the talking animals.

What is Sonic's planet anyway? I mean it's Earth, I know, but is it supposed to be our Earth or an alternate Earth?
Well considering we don't have talking animals, I'd say it's an alternate Earth. Plus there's stuff like the Gaias, and ancient civilizations like the echidnas and the Babylonians.

It's OUR Earth. Didn't you read the comics? The Xorda attacked us, remember?

Edited by Hayntie
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's OUR Earth. Didn't you read the comics? The Xorda attacked us, remember?

Yeah, but the Archie comics don't really have any bearing on the other continuities.

Regarding the moon repairing itself;

Sonic X remedied this in quite an amusing way; namely that Eggman repaired the moon. That said, half of it was, and remained metal. Other than that, I guess you could assume that it's rotated in such a way that you only ever see the undamaged side of it. :lol:

Another interesting theory I had (which, again, was rooted in Sonic X, which, again, had a totally different world map shown in some episodes) was based on one shot of Gerald's diary, which was dated, if I remember correctly, as having been written in the year "20XX", suggesting that 'fifty years ago' was actually some time between 2001-2099, which would make the 'present day' for Sonic (at least in the Sonic X continuity) somewhere between 2050-2150 or so.

I have always personally liked to imagine it's an alternate version of our Earth, set about 100 years in the future (dating Space Colony ARK's creation at 2050).

Though, just as old sci-fi novels have had their technological advancement predictions proved wrong by the time they're set in passing by, so does my 2050 ARK idea, lol.

I like to imagine they keep cities like San Francisco out of nostalgia, while places like Grand Metropolis and Megalo City are popping up, much like how we still have countryside villages even though cities are popping up elsewhere.

A user on here named Nuclear Envoy decided to make a map of Mobius that looks a lot like an almost real topography. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in about five years.

I'm all for a consistent map, but it's not going to make or break the series for me either way. But to maintain the freedom of creating abstract levels rather than what a standardized planet limits us to, I say the islands from Sonic 1-3 (South, West and Angel) should be part of a huge, yet to be fully uncovered archipelago, each island with different qualities. That way, it still allows Sonic to be canonically part of the human world without separating him from the existence of colorful, abstract levels that made up the games in the first place- it's win-win.

A user on here named Nuclear Envoy decided to make a map of Mobius that looks a lot like an almost real topography. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in about five years.

This one?

It looks like it's mostly based on the Archie continuity, though.

• 2 years later...

Other than that, I guess you could assume that it's rotated in such a way that you only ever see the undamaged side of it. laugh.gif

Hilarious in hindsight? Perhaps. 

The main problem with this is that Sonic Team really Does Not Give A Shit about how Sonic's world is laid out. Arguably for the better since it allows the world to be effectively infinite, with any new locations simply being "somewhere" rather than being pinned to one of the fewer-and-fewer empty areas on the map. 

I'm pretty sure Mario's world is the same way. Which I'm a fan of! smile.png

To Holy Shrimp: I really like the second map. I'm definitely going to save it onto my computer...

This one?

It looks like it's mostly based on the Archie continuity, though.

This map, I like a lot. Very accurate to the archie world, but I'd still like to see a map similar to this one's style done with the game's canon in mind.

I feel like Mobius is essentially earth set in a future where animals have evolved somehow, while humans still exist they don't seem to be as prevalent. Quite possibly some sort of natural disaster wiped a lot of them out and the ones who did survive are shown in SA and SA2.

Bare in mind that the Archie World Map may possibly be obselete at this point, being New Mobotropolis is now located on Westside Island, a location which has never appeared in the comics till now, it's possible that the locations may l now be relocated or entire land masses switched up now.

I would expect a new map to be coming soon.

Bare in mind that the Archie World Map may possibly be obselete at this point, being New Mobotropolis is now located on Westside Island, a location which has never appeared in the comics till now, it's possible that the locations may l now be relocated or entire land masses switched up now.

I would expect a new map to be coming soon.

New Mobotropolis doesn't exist anymore. It's just Mobotropolis. It was just called "Mobotropolis" in that... box... thing... And there's no Nanites.

Whatever, the point is to expect some location and overall world map changes, that was the point of my post

Edited by Dantemustdie00