Awoo.

Beavis and Butthead Returns This Summer

AdventChild

MTV announces that the comedic duo is returning this summer

MTV has announced that the duo Beavis and Butthead will return this summer. The show was created by Mike Judge who later went on to produce King of the Hill. The run of the original series ended in 1997 which is before many of MTVs new audience was born.

Lets hope that the show's return will also mean a return in the great commentaries the duo used to do for popular music videos. I'm sure a lot of people would like to know what they have to say about Justin Bieber.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh god.

This show is just awful. All it really does is make you so nervous you start giggling uncontrollably. It's just a really bad show, not like bad writing or anything, but the writing is focused on making you feel like you were just mind raped.

More fucking King of the Hill, damn it. That was your GOOD show.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I found King of the Hill reeeally boring.

Beavis and Butthead was just stupid, it was supposed to be though and at times it was pretty funny. It's about two really stupid teenage boys. The show revolves around their obnoxious, rude, perverted and childish personalities and the misadventures they have because of it. They would also sit and watch music videos with (improvised) silly commentary.

I used to watch it when my older sister did, and I've seen the film a couple of times. My sister was a huge fan, and still is I think.

I'm sorta looking forward to it, cos I'm a bit skeptical about the new one. I have no idea how they will fit in with the times. I was a big fan of the original Beavis & Butthead.

I think the most important thing you can do for yourself if you want to enjoy Beavis and Butthead is to shut your brain off.

Don't give the show any thought. It's obvious the writers didn't. The show is just immature, stupid and childish fun. No, it's not intelligent humor, it's not thought-provoking in the slightest, but I've always thought it's really good at what it does.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the most important thing you can do for yourself if you want to enjoy Beavis and Butthead is to shut your brain off.

Don't give the show any thought. It's obvious the writers didn't. The show is just immature, stupid and childish fun. No, it's not intelligent humor, it's not thought-provoking in the slightest, but I've always thought it's really good at what it does.

Really good at sucking, that is.

Meh, if there's demand and an audience, what's the harm? I can't stand it, but whatever.

• Bad Quality Post 1

You guys obviously don't know how much effort it takes to write something so stupid that it appeals to both people who turn their brains off and people who like to laugh at people who turn their brain off. XD

I'm ambivalent to their return. They should've gone with a risk, like aging up the characters. Having them still being in school, but watching Lady Gaga on MTV would be weird. That, and I'm not sure if the quality of writing's gonna be as good after such a long gap.

• Thumbs Up 2

That, and I'm not sure if the quality of writing's gonna be as good after such a long gap.

It literally cannot get worse. The show itself RUNS off of bad writing like a car runs off gasoline.

• Thumbs Up 1

ITT: People watch Beavis and Butthead and take the writing and premise seriously.

To said people:

The joke

Your heads

Do you guys ever consider that the writing is bad because it's meant to be that way? That was the whole premise to Beavis and Butthead. And it was endlessly funny because of how ridiculous it was. If you ever tried watching the show thinking you were gonna get intelligent philosophical conversation with a bit of sharp wit, and the challenges of growing up as a young straddling teenager... then something's really wrong here.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 3

Awesome! I loved Beavis and Butthead Do America, and never saw any of the original series, so this'll be a great insight into what I missed the first time round.

That is, of course, if they can keep up the comedic excellence of the movie and couple it with a higher budget - otherwise, it has the potential to be utterly pants. Now, if they show it on free channels here in England, then I'll be absolutely ecstatic...

Do you guys ever consider that the writing is bad because it's meant to be that way? That was the whole premise to Beavis and Butthead. And it was endlessly funny because of how ridiculous it was. If you ever tried watching the show thinking you were gonna get intelligent philosophical conversation with a bit of sharp wit, and the challenges of growing up as a young straddling teenager... then something's really wrong here.

It's not entertaining no matter how you look at it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I'm sorta looking forward to it, cos I'm a bit skeptical about the new one. I have no idea how they will fit in with the times.

There are still plenty of stupid people in the world today just like there was in the mid-90s. And, more pressingly, MTV is even more of a waste of dump now than it was then. It shouldn't be that much of a problem.

I've always taken it as an extremely subtle jab at the characters. The movie in particular was a pretty scathing satire of the two.

Where is Tornado? Certainly not on SSMB.

It'll be interesting to see how they fit it in with todays culture. The old stuff was topical and just generally took the piss. I really hope it works this time round. God knows the writers need the job!

I hate this show.

I understand that its supposed to be stupid. But its so stupid that its PAINFUL. I can't find it remotely humorous. I can't even believe they're bringing it back! I wonder if it'll last longer than that new Ren and Stimpy cartoon that aired on Spike a few years ago...

ITT: People watch Beavis and Butthead and take the writing and premise seriously.

Literally impossible to take this show seriously.

To said people:

The joke

Your heads

Do you guys ever consider that the writing is bad because it's meant to be that way?

The reason why people don't like it

Your head

When you get down to it, bad writing is just that. Bad writing. That is why it is called bad writing. Even if you say "oh it's SUPPOSED to be bad" that's not an excuse, it's bullshit at best. If the writing of something is bad then it is bad.

It's not even funny bad, like a really bad movie that's really good because of it, it's just bad. Terrible. It was and still continues to be a horrible idea at it's very core. Think about it for a second, does "Hey guys! Let's make a show with some of the worst writing and jokes we can muster, but it's funny because we know it sucks!" really, really sound like a good idea for... anything? At all?

I enjoy humor, not stupidity that's only funny... never, actually. I'm not sure where I was going with that.

You can see the people in this thread who didn't grow up with this show a mile away. :P

Which is fair enough considering it was geared for teens in the early 90s, and most of you were either under 10 or not even born yet at the time, myself included.

Incidentally, the show will probably be aiming for the male 12-15 age range again this time around as well, so of course most of you won't like it.

And that's all I have to say because I'm totally indifferent to this announcement, I just found the vitriol in here too amusing to ignore.

You can see the people in this thread who didn't grow up with this show a mile away. :P

Oh god I wish. My mom is a huge fan, so naturally I'm pretty familiar with it. It's just not very good no matter how I look at it, the only REALLY good part was how the animation was done, I always liked how the show LOOKED, but now how it... did everything else.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking, I heavily doubt I'll be watching the new Beavis & Butthead. If I do, TV just might ruin my life. :lol: One of the things that gets to me about B&B is that they make metalheads look stupid. However, those guys aren't even real metalheads anyway. They're a disgrace to metalheads all over the world. There's actually many metalheads who are actually super intelligent (I knew one and I'm currently friends with one). I'm a metalhead and I guess my intelligence is above average.

I hope they get more intelligent the next time around. If you grew up watching the show, chances are they're gonna be dumb back then or they'll be even dumber.

Wow.

To be honest, I can't wait for this to come back. Beavis and Butthead Do America was funny (and had a hilarious trip-out scene), and I've see some of the old episodes on the Mike Judge collection, so this looks interesting. And as for the people complaining about the show, either don't watch it or just shut your brain off and have some fun like Soldier said.

Although, it'd be really weird to see a pair of male teenagers watching stuff like Lady Gaga and Katy Perry though. Aside from Butthead going "Huh huh huh, she's HOT, huh huh huh"

Edited by SHAX Hedgefox

I found King of the Hill reeeally boring.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've watched a bit of Kind of the Hill, but it never really caught my interest.

Which is fair enough considering it was geared for teens in the early 90s, and most of you were either under 10 or not even born yet at the time, myself included.

I'm definitely in that boat. Bevis and Butthead never caught my interest when it was on due to me being too young at the time. But I'll take a look at it when it does make its return to TV to see how it is.