Awoo.

Activision: Mass Layoffs TBA - R.I.P. Guitar Hero

Mick

Whilst on the one hand yeah, this was inevitable, it was still kind of a shock to see the news. But as everyone else has said, oversaturated market (not to mention simply running out of classic songs to play) and no real tangible improvements in game quality. I stopped buying Guitar Hero games a few years back, and even those last couple were discounted.

Must say cancelling the True Crime was more of a surprise, not that I was looking forward to it. It does seem Activision are narrowing their output diversity, which wasn't exactly great to begin with. All in the name of profits, I guess.

How many more years we giving Call of Duty then? 3?

I admit I am not into Guitar Hero so this dosen't bother me what bothers me is that True Crime has been axed pretty much when the project is so close to being finished. I mean Duke Nukem Forever has had problems for years but least they are now going to finally finished it. They could of at least released it and gave it a shot but Activision must be bleeding money and fast, so they thought "No well sack it".

I have a game magazine from last year that hyped to be the next best crime game that would rival GTA (I like GTA by the way and I prefer this series overall) and it looked really good and I was hoping it would make up for True Crime: New York City. Even though I enjoyed True Crime: New York City I was disapointed by how glitchy it was, plus I found that the buildings lacked any unique features unlike GTA or Saints Row, but I guess you could at least go in them.

Mostly what I liked about Trime Crime is you could be a cop and arrest me, this makes a change from being a Gangsta or being part of the Mob. The only other Crime series in the sandbox style that could let you be a cop was the Gataway series and from what I heard that has been cancelled for a few years. :(

Real shame at least their is GTA and Saints Row but I liked being a cop and arresting thugs.

... Oh, for God's sake. I thought the Legend trilogy was better than the original PS1 trilogy, but even I think this is just stupid. Is Activision really this intent on driving all its money-making franchises straight into the ground?

And I was hoping for a continuation of the adventures of Spyro and Cynder as a battle couple. Freaking LAME.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

...........Are you serious?

That doesn't even look like Spyro. Even the Sierra games, in all their suckage, actually looked like Spyro games.

And shit-canning True Crime for Family Guy and Wipeout games? Really? EA had better pick up the rights to that True Crime game, like they did with Ghostbusters and Brutal Legend, or there is going to be hell to pay.

Time Hit Window is a real mess. Plus the horrible animations and the lack of ROCK songs on a ROCK Band.

Plus Guitar Hero had better charts.

wrong, wrong, wrong and.... wrong

In all of this I feel sorry for everyone who lost their jobs, it must have been shitty churning out a new gh game once a year, then coming to work and finding out you're no longer needed.

Poor bastards.

I'm still laughing at that design that's supposed to be Spyro. Looks like a frog.

What's next, Crash Bandicoot: The Dating Sim? :lol:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/10/harmonix-issues-statement-on-ending-of-guitar-hero-franchise/

Harmonix's John Drake recently posted the studio's very tasteful response to the news over on the Rock Band forums. "We were sad to hear yesterday that Activision was discontinuing development on Guitar Hero," Drake said. "Our thoughts are with those who are losing their jobs, and we wish them the best of luck."

"In short, the beat of Rock Band marches on." Drake later adds, "It's been a wild battle of the bands since 2007, but we respect and appreciate all of the hard work and innovation of our peers who have shared the music gaming space with us, and we look forward to rocking in the future."

Phew, good news at least. Harmonix have gained a lot of respect from me at the very least for such a tasteful response.

It gets worse: Activision killed off True Crime for a bloody massacre of what little dignity Spyro had left.

I don't think that True Crime was cancelled just so they could announce another shitty Spyro game, but that's just me.

And shit-canning True Crime for Family Guy and Wipeout games? Really? EA had better pick up the rights to that True Crime game, like they did with Ghostbusters and Brutal Legend, or there is going to be hell to pay.

Of course, I think Activision tried suing EA over both of those games, so it would be interesting to see what is what.

Mario, Luigi and Yoshi trek across ice and snow to stop the shelled ones' schemes. But Bowser's slick; in one last trick, he takes the dearest thing of all. Now Tornado is Missing!!

I don't really see the point of continuing the franchise considering they can just add new songs to the old games through DLC, just as they've been doing. And while the last Family Guy game by High Voltage was pretty decent, I doubt I can trust Activision to not milk the shit out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears Guitar Hero and DJ Hero aren't going to die off that easily. This month was originally the last for DLC, but thanks to continued support there are now plans for more.

Coming from the Guitar Hero and DJ Hero Twitter accounts...

We hit 3 MILLION Facebook fans! In thanks for your continued support, we'll be releasing some new DLC. Details soon!

Thanks for being a member of our community. In recognition of your continued support, we've decided to release more DLC! Details soon!

Uh-oh...I thought the nightmare was over. I guess more DLC isn't a bad thing, since that's how the series should have stayed many years ago! We might not have gotten so tired of the franchises by now.

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=151447

It looks like Guitar Hero is asking for a shotgun and is willing to go out with a bang.

I wonder what DLC they'll add this time around.

• 2 weeks later...

In the world today... we need a hero.

http://kotaku.com/#!5779364/activision-wants-to-make-a-dance-hero-out-of-you

Okay, not THAT kind of hero. I meant like Iron Man or something, but yeah! The 'Hero' franchise lives on with Dance Hero.

Kotaku

5,441 views, Mar 8, 2011 5:00 AM

Please confirm your birth date:

Please enter a valid date

Please enter your full birth year

This content is restricted.

Full size

rumor

Share this post ×

* 0diggsdigg

* submit to reddit

* Email this post

Activision Wants To Make A Dance Hero Out Of You

Ad random: 57254521

Zone: gm.kotaku/top

Size: 300x250

Keywords: mtfIFPath=/assets/vendor/doubleclick/, origin=kotaku

Hyperion URL: http://hyperion.gawker.com/ad/300x250?site_id=9&page_type=post&size=defaults&random=57254521&tags[]=rumor&tags[]=dancehero&tags[]=activision&tags[]=original&tags[]=top&referer=http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=152226&jsonp=?

Dart URL: http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/gm.kotaku/top;ptile=7;sz=300x250;ord=57254521;mtfIFPath=/assets/vendor/doubleclick/;origin=kotaku

Luke Plunkett — Activision Wants To Make A Dance Hero Out Of YouBack in 2008, Activision applied for a trademark for a game called Dance Hero. Then...we all forgot about it. Now, it seems, the publisher might actually be releasing the thing.

While the world was busy lamenting (or celebrating) the demise of the Guitar and DJ Hero franchises, Activision seems intent to carry on and release at least one new musical game, as Kotaku has learned that work is finally underway on a new franchise, called, yes, Dance Hero.

Some of the songs we've heard have been slated (at least at this stage) for inclusion with the game include:

"2012" by Jay Sean (feat Nicki Minaj)

"Out Of Space" by The Prodigy.

"The Way I Are" by Timbaland (feat Keri Hilson and D.O.E.)

"Take Over Control" by Afrojack (feat Evan Simon)

While we don't yet know what platforms the game would be appearing on, nor which studio is developing, we'd wager that between the PlayStation Move, Kinect and Wii Remote there's enough motion control there for at least three versions of the game. This is Activision we're talking about, after all!

Kotaku has contacted Activision for confirmation and further comment, and will update if we hear back.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. You thought the Hero franchise is was done for a while... Well, you're LEX LUTHOR!!!

*Now it does state that it is a rumor, but I wouldn't doubt it if it was true.*

Edited by Im Green with YoshiUnity

Oh, for the love of-

There's already a "Dance Hero". IT'S CALLED DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION.

ACTIVISION, YOU RETARDS.

• Thumbs Up 1

15fsw0x.gif

Hahahahaha.

Oh come on, it was BOUND to happen! Guitar Hero has been going downhill since the third game came out. It was never the same again, especially with all those unecessary spin offs.

...But wait, Dance Hero. DANCE HERO. Activision, why do you suck so much nowadays?

Edited by Gabz Girl

• 1 year later...

According to a report from December 2012, Activision had another Guitar Hero game in the works until early 2011.

Guitar Hero 7 canceled - Report
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/guitar-hero-7-canceled-report-6401115

Today, some images of a canned game called Hero Mix from Activision have appeared on a developer's online portfolio.

Hero Mix: images of Activision’s doomed project surface

Hero-Mix-600x330.jpg

http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/01/hero-mix-images-of-activisions-doomed-project-surface/

Kylan Coats - Portfolio

http://www.kylancoats.com/heromix.html

More pics at the above link.

Sounds like Guitar Hero 7 would have been pretty shit anyway from how it is described.

They shouldn't leave the series dead, but they shouldn't milk it any more either; leave it a couple of years, bring out a new one, get a bunch of DLC packs out for it, release sequel 3 or 4 years later etc.