Awoo.

Does the Adventure series still stack up?

Kuzu

The PC version of SA 2 doesn't support actual analog control, the DC version's controls aren't brilliant but they're a lot better than the PC version. The PC version is kind of a mess.

That explains a lot. I'll try the DC version later!

To move slightly off topic here, I always say no one knows how to play the treasure levels.

There is no climbing involved. That's what the rockets are for. A lot of stages are just knowing where the rockets are, Pumpkin Hill and Meteor Herd especially.

You will A-rank easily if you can halfway figure out the map and smash things while you move. Boxes and Badniks help your score a lot.

It's funny how the hunting stages got much worse when they put more effort into the stages. The SA1 stages were the same ones used by the other characters, so they were nowhere near as huge as the SA2 hunting levels. The downgraded radar didn't help either.

Honestly I would sooner say the reason hunting levels are bad is because they're poorly designed aesthetically. I have fun on the Hunting levels now that I know what the hell the clues refer to, but for first, second, third, even fourth timers you still won't know everything off by heart. The levels are way too big for a start, and should have been more uniquely paced and designed so you don't need to bump into every Omochao in the hope this one will tell you that you're on "The Capsule Planet".

• Thumbs Up 1

But they're totally not bad. The scope of the radar is much bigger to compensate for a much bigger space. All you do patrol each area until the blip goes off. Don't use TVs, that's how you lower your score! You can take up to seven minutes on some levels (Death Chamber and Egg Quarters) and still A-rank!

• Thumbs Up 1

But they're totally not bad. The scope of the radar is much bigger to compensate for a much bigger space. All you do patrol each area until the blip goes off. Don't use TVs, that's how you lower your score! You can take up to seven minutes on some levels (Death Chamber and Egg Quarters) and still A-rank!

Edited by Ekaje

Climbing to the top of Mad Space is made all the more rewarding by the option of jumping off and Drill-Kicking yourself into oblivion.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't have a problem with all the extra stuff in SA1 and SA2, if it remained extra.

In SA1 it wasn't so bad, because at least every character had a seperate story, but you still had to complete them all to reach the Last story. Why couldn't they just make all the other characters optional.

In SA2 it was even worse. I don't particularly care how much you like or dislike the hunting or mech shooting, because that's irrelevant.

My main beef with it was that you were forced to do them. It was really fucking annoying to have the flow you built up in Metal Harbour and Green Forest, destroyed by Pumpkin Hill. Why was it mandatory to play as Tails and Knuckles?

The games were fun, don't get me wrong, but its design decisions like those that just irritate me.

Edited by Scar

I don't particularly care how much you like or dislike the hunting or mech shooting, because that's irrelevant.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Adventure 1 is a broken mess with awkward cutscenes and voice acting, Adventure 2 ups the production values and pacing significantly but is still quite awkward to play in this day and age. It has the most tolerable (Borderline great, actually) story a Sonic game has ever had in 3D, but it's really difficult to adjust to the game's bizarre choice of pacing that has you switching between 3 extremely different styles of play, only one (Or arguably 2) are all that much to play.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

How is that irrelevant? If they're enjoyable then that makes one like the game more. If they're not enjoyable that makes one like the game less.

Isn't fun factor the main issue when it comes to gaming?

It makes more sense in context with the rest of my post.

I personally didn't like it, but many people did. It doesn't matter to me if anybody enjoyed it really though. If they did, good for them. I personally think its inherently bad game design to force new play-styles on the player, that break the flow and the pacing of the game. Perfect example if this is Metal Harbour/Green Forest. You get a really good flow going after these two stages, but then this is all thrown to the wind by Pumpkin Hill, which is by no means a fast level. All you have to do to complete it, is find a rocket, fly to the top of the map, and glide around aimlessly till the radar blips.

Admittedly some of the Knuckles or Tails stages weren't that bad, but they completely botched up the games pacing. That having been said, those levels were hardly masterful game design. They were OK at best, and painstakingly boring (i.e not fun) at worst. But stages like Meteor herd are just bullshit. That stage is so fucking huge, and the Emeralds are so small, and the Radar is so horribly nerfed; why can't you get the emeralds in any order, this is bad game design, and is shitty attempt at increasing gameplay time.

If they were optional, it would have been fine, but they aren't, and so it worsens my (and a lot of other people's) enjoyment of the game

I'll say it again., SA2 is by no means a bad game, but it is not the best 3D game by any means. Just like Unleashed. Its part amazing, but also part let-down.

SA1 is a great fun little game, but its lack of polish that irritates me. I do however, prefer the way it handles the alternate gameplay though. Each character has his or her own story, so the pacing is not always being broken, as you're playing a similar series of stages in a row.

Seeing as I've already written a short passage about the sheer excellence of the Adventure series, (and that it has been instated with a new relevance) I'll just repost my sig:

I think that the main reason why Sonic Adventure is loved so much is not because it was "polished", but because it was FUN; despite the (minor) bugs and occasional programming flaws, the whole thing just gave me a thorough sense of elation throughout its entire duration - I loved it. If it hadn't been for Sonic Adventure, (and indeed, its nigh-on-perfect sequel) I simply wouldn't be interested in the Sonic franchise at all, and would have abandoned all hope for it years ago...

Sonic Adventure wasn't by any means perfect, but it was a damn site more enjoyable than virtually any game that succeeded it. I'm not asking for a glitchless slice of platforming heaven; I'm asking for a good time and a few laughs.

Yes. The Adventure series do still "stack up", as it were.

• Thumbs Up 1

The thing with Sonic Adventure is that it was good for the time that it came out. It was the first fullblown 3D Sonic platformer, and any issues it had were excusable. Nowadays though... they aren't. We excuse them because of when it was released, and also because of the general quality of 3D Sonic's since then. Honestly, 3D Sonic has never been perfect. Sonic Adventure was the closest thing we ever had for the past decade, so that made it unmarkable... but really, it has glitches and camera issues that won't be excused in today's gaming community. If Mario 64 was released today as it was in 1996, it would be received very poorly.

They were good when they were released at the time. Sonic Adventure is still pretty fun though, but working around alternate gameplay styles to complete the game, glitches, camera issues and cringe-worthy cutscenes keep it far from being a spectacle outside of the Sonic series.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh, I don't agree with that. Sonic Adventure DX was recieved poorly because the game needed some major updates.

But when I play Mario 64 today, it still feels so good to move, explore and jump around in that game. I really don't see anything glaring in Mario 64 that has aged badly.

I was playing Mario 64 today and I wanted to shoot the cartridge for the camera being so unbelievably crappy.

It was good when it came out. It's excusable now because it was good when it came out. If it came out today as it was back then, it would not be considered good.

Bad camera does not a bad game make. Even then, the camera didn't get nearly as bad as it did in SA1. And even then, the camera was only one of SA1's problems.

While Mario 64 was a solid, well constructed brick house, SA1 was a brick house that had plumping issues and major infestation problems.

There's a REASON Mario 64 is still to this day on many 'Best Games Ever' lists.

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 1

There's a REASON Mario 64 is still to this day on many 'Best Games Ever' lists.

It's on my Best Games Ever list; I find it much better than Mario Galaxy 1 because of how much more stuff I could do in this game.

For what they were, SA and SA2 were incredible. I'd still play them.

Compared to Sonic games now, I think SA2 would still be at the top of most Sonic games lists. SA was WAY glitchy at some points (especially the Dreamcast one I had) but despite that it stands to the test of time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still replay the Sonic Adventure games even to this day. I find them to be more fun then Sonic Colors. To me Sonic Colors feels like one of those games that I'd play though once, then have no desire to play though it ever again.

Edited by Yugi12
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Super Mario 64 isn't good by today's standards? News to me! I can't see how anybody can put it on the same level as Sonic's early 3D outings.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Gotta agree that Mario 64 is still great. I don't really see the issue with the camera either, most of the time it's C-button correctable. And it doesn't get stuck behind obstacles like the Adventure camera does. The game just controls so smoothly, and the levels were the first of their kind. The worst you can say about it is that it's basic compared to later 3D platformers, but that's what happens with age. Even while creating the power item collection genre, it did a lot of things best the first time around.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still replay the Sonic Adventure games even to this day. I find them to be more fun then Sonic Colors. To me Sonic Colors feels like one of those games that I'd play though once, then have no desire to play though it ever again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Adventure doesn't really have an 'epic' storyline. Atleast to me it doesn't feel epic maybe cause the bad or mediocre voice acting kinda ruins the experience for me and it just comes off really corny. I'm playing it now btw.

Edited by sonfan1984

Any claim for either of the Sonic Adventure games having an "epic storyline" kinda falls flat if you have seen/read any shonen anime/manga made in the past 20 years.

Reports of my return have been greatly exaggerated.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3