Awoo.

Mirror's Edge Reboot(This is getting ridicolous)...Faith Restored

turbojet

There's no guarantee that we'll see anything Mirror's Edgey at E3 at all, and to be honest I don't think it likely to show up this year anyway. I'll obviously be happy to be wrong, but right now I just don't see it.

Just because games have been known to be announced several years prior to release, that doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it. With a couple of years' wait time, and little information coming out, pretty quickly it'll become vaporware to many, the hype will fade away, and even with a good flow of information, over that amount of time we'll get sick of it.

Better to place the announcement and release date within about 18 months of one another.

wasn't it 3 months for Majora's Mask? that turned out EXTREMELY well 

DICE is probably more focused on Star Wars: Battlefront than Mirror's Edge. Sure they're being worked on simultaneously but I'm sure that Battlefront will have far more prominence at E3.

• Thumbs Up 1

wasn't it 3 months for Majora's Mask? that turned out EXTREMELY well 

A different game, released by a different company, during a different gaming era. To my knowledge, EA doesn't do the whole "announce-and-immediately-launch" strategy, at least not outside its annual sports releases.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty excited to see how they've improved the melee and gun combat. I'm not expecting it to play like Battlefield whenever you have a gun in your hand but it definitely needs some improvement...of course though, the best way to play is to not melee or hold a gun at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

E3 2014 footage. Parkour looks like it should. Combat looks MUCH better than the first game.

Some official art of Faith:

tumblr_n6x6adkAgu1qb9cszo2_1280.jpg

Ridiculous

Is the title of the thread purposely misspelled ridicolous as some sort of Mirror's Edge joke?

It's really annoying they only had prototype footage to show at EA's conference. It's been a year for God's sake, where were they all that time?

I can say though that the gameplay does look vastly improved from the first Mirrors Edge.

It's really annoying they only had prototype footage to show at EA's conference. It's been a year for God's sake, where were they all that time?

Being forced to churn Battlefield games.

• 11 months later...

Alright! So we have a bit more news.

Mirror's Edge 2 is coming in early 2016

The new Mirror's Edge from developer DICE will be released in early 2016, publisher Electronic Arts confirmed today.

EA lists the game for release during the first three months of 2016 in a financial earnings presentation (PDF), saying the game is coming to consoles and PC.

DICE's new Mirror's Edge was announced in 2013 for next-generation consoles — meaning PlayStation 4 and Xbox One — and PC.  The game "reboots the franchise for the next generation," EA said at the time, and will deliver an all-new origin story for Mirror's Edge protagonist Faith.

EA and DICE offered an update on the development of the new Mirror's Edge at last year's E3, talking about their efforts to focus on the "building blocks" of Faith and working with parkour artists to tune her movement.

"I wanted to let you know that the game is progressing nicely and I think you're going to love it," senior producer Sara Jansson said last year. "I know many of you probably wish we would show more of the game, but we're still pretty early in development and our passionate core Mirror's Edge team is working full on to make the best game possible."

The original Mirror's Edge launched in 2009* for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC.

DICE is currently working on Star Wars Battlefront for release later this year and plans to release a new Battlefield game during the fourth quarter of 2016.

Shit, it's a reboot? I thought it was a prequel. Still. Hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype, hype.

The original game was fucking phenomenal. I can't wait.

Just asking, what do you guys think of the game opening up in a open-world fashion? Sure, it's cool to run around and such, but I felt like that Mirror's Edge benefited from it's linear game design.

tumblr_lyir6hKnum1r1lo60o1_400.gif

Shame it's just a reboot, but I don't care. I loved the original Mirror's Edge and I can't wait to finally see some gameplay at E3!

As for the whole open world idea, it...could work? As long as they execute it well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah but the question is, is a certain feminist not helping make the game anymore. Last I heard of the game was that she was still helping and they were even thinking of handing control over to her. Please tell me EA got smart and kicked her off.

Yeah but the question is, is a certain feminist not helping make the game anymore. Last I heard of the game was that she was still helping and they were even thinking of handing control over to her. Please tell me EA got smart and kicked her off.

Why would it be a problem if that "certain feminist" is still helping to make the game? There is more that goes into the development of a game than the technical aspects.

Why would it be a problem if that "certain feminist" is still helping to make the game? There is more that goes into the development of a game than the technical aspects.

She tested the gameplay and claimed it was too hard for women and that it needed to be toned down. That's why.

I wouldn't have a problem with her if she didn't claim every single videogame in existence is sexist.

Just asking, what do you guys think of the game opening up in a open-world fashion? Sure, it's cool to run around and such, but I felt like that Mirror's Edge benefited from it's linear game design.

Will Mirror's Edge 2 and Tony Hawk's 5 revive the idea of playful space in video games?

That said, I could have sworn that one of the biggest criticisms of the game was that it was so linear. Personally, I felt it would have worked best open world, as long as the world itself was actually fun to traverse. If not open world, then at least open ended.

• 1 month later...

So what, is everyone just going to ignore...

The new Mirror's Edge is called Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Developer DICE revealed the name of its new Mirror's Edge game today: Mirror's Edge Catalyst. The follow-up to 2008's Mirror's Edge, Catalyst "is not a sequel," senior producer Sara Jansson wrote on the game's official website.
"The first game had a lot of promise," Jansson said. "It was unlike anything else in terms of the gameplay and style — it had a unique soul. But as much as we loved that game, we knew it could be more. So that's what we have set out to do as we introduce Mirror's Edge to a new generation.
"The team has spent a lot of time re-evaluating every aspect of the game and making it a new experience. This is not a sequel, this is not Mirror's Edge 2. We have landed on a vision that honors the first game — pushing the boundaries of first person movement and diving deeper into the story behind our heroine Faith — but also brings a lot of great new, interesting gameplay and features to the experience for our players."
Jansson confirmed that Mirror's Edge Catalyst will be present at E3 2015 next week, where we can expect to learn more about the game. Publisher Electronic Arts will hold its E3 media briefing on Monday, June 15 at 1 p.m. PT.
Mirror's Edge Catalyst was first teased at E3 2013, and promised to reboot the franchise for a new generation. EA and DICE said the new Mirror's Edge will focus on the "building blocks" of protagonist Faith.
The new Mirror's Edge is scheduled for release on PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One sometime in early 2016.

mirrors_edge_catalyst.0.0.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/09/mirrors-edge-catalyst-subtitle-is-official

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/15/mirrors-edge-catalyst-producer-on-meeting-expectations/

It looks great but I really wish there was more gameplay footage. Most of it looked too much like bullshots to me, but since the game is playable at E3 we should see a demo soon.

So tell me I wasn't the only one who thought Morgan Freeman when I saw that guy with the dove on his arm...

• Thumbs Up 1