Awoo.

Mirror's Edge Reboot(This is getting ridicolous)...Faith Restored

turbojet

Seeing as Mirror's Edge was one of the most thoroughly awful and wholly unenjoyable platformers that I've ever had the misfortune of playing through, I'm quite glad that all prospects for a sequel have been dashed. It is, quite probably, one of the least deserving non-FPS candidates for a follow-up that I've seen in the last five years, and quite simply shouldn't be given a second chance due to the sheer brokenness of the first game's concept and execution; I highly doubt that DICE could fix its horrendous problems with level viewability, shoddy combat sequences and generally rubbish game design for a sequel, especially seeing as they don't exactly have a track record for producing decent follow-ups to ANY of their long-running franchises - the shameless Call of Duty clones that are Battlefield's recent iterations, and the complete and utter failure that was Medal of Honor 2010's multiplayer are plain and honest pieces of proof to back this statement up.

Mirror's Edge, from almost the very start to its eventual finish, was a shockingly painful mess of a game to sit through, and shouldn't even be so much as considered to be anything close to sequel-worthy material - although I do agree that it probably wasn't cancelled for these reasons, (which is a shameful move on EA's part, especially so if the money that would have gone towards it went instead towards yet another monotonous Battlefield title) the fact that it was cancelled is, in itself, extremely good news for the platformer genre as a whole.

I read your post. But all I got from it was "I don't know how to play this game."

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I read your post. But all I got from it was "I don't know how to play this game."

And don't forget the "And that makes me angry!" part.

Reports of my return were greatly exaggerated.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

On the contrary; I breezed through Easy Mode, and when forcing myself to at least dabble in Normal Mode discovered that the only discernible difference between the two difficulties was that enemies were more difficult to kill and greater in number - and quickly turned off, due to the combat being quite possibly the single worst aspect of an already dreary and awful game.

To be honest, my only real motivation to complete the Mirror's Edge in the first place originated from a friend making a similar remark that you did when I criticized it. Despite punishing myself enough to play the title to the bitter end, I can't be mistaken for any kind of masochist; wasting a few hours just to prove a point was unsatisfying and foolish, and most certainly didn't make me enjoy the game any more than I did after playing the first level in a game store and utterly loathing it.

In my honest opinion, Mirror's Edge is a genuinely dreadful pile of utter dross, though at very least it could be credited for having a somewhat original concept - a luxury that any sequel that may have been planned would never have been able to replicate.

On the contrary; I breezed through Easy Mode, and when forcing myself to at least dabble in Normal Mode discovered that the only discernible difference between the two difficulties was that enemies were more difficult to kill and greater in number - and quickly turned off, due to the combat being quite possibly the single worst aspect of an already dreary and awful game.

Edited by Silencer226
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lol you actually stopped to fight enemies, the last thing on my mind was taking a moment to strike down an enemy, I did that only when necessary.

The game explicitly discourages engaging in combat when possible. And when you do, you're supposed to divide and conquer, not start shooting into walls of soldiers like Rambo. It's kind of like a fast paced stealth game, with more focus on fleeing your enemies than not getting caught by them in the first place. I beat the Test of Faith achievement (the pacifism achievement) on hard mode and it was considerably easy, so don't complain to me about the combat.

Edited by SuperStingray

Enemy fighting to me either was just running away or luring them into a corner one by one so I could beat them up with a quick combo.

The former essentially boiled down to "do this platforming/puzzle under a time limit" and the latter boiled down "stand around in a corner while guards unrealistically slowly walk towards you like idiots."

I first played Mirror's Edge on Xbox. I found it a bit of a struggle and at some points downright frustrating. It seemed to be incredibly flawed.

But then I played it on PC.

And it was glorious.

The majority of gameplay issues stem from the fact that controllers are complete shit for precise and accurate movements, which of course is a problem when precision and accuracy are the 2 things you need most when playing an FPS.

Yes the story is a bit shit and boils down to "Your sister Kate has been kidnapped by the government. Are you a bad enough traceuse to rescue Kate?" It's still crazy amounts of fun though.

Mirror's Edge is a flawed masterpiece, and I am saddened to hear that the sequel may potentially get scrapped.

The game explicitly discourages engaging in combat when possible. And when you do, you're supposed to divide and conquer, not start shooting into walls of soldiers like Rambo. It's kind of like a fast paced stealth game, with more focus on fleeing your enemies than not getting caught by them in the first place. I beat the Test of Faith achievement (the pacifism achievement) on hard mode and it was considerably easy, so don't complain to me about the combat.

Either you have the patience of a Saint or you practiced a ton of times. I didn't even know that there was an Easy mode. I thought Easy just meant the Red Highlighter was turned on and it was on Normal Mode. I also beat it on Hard Mode, but I recieved the Test of Faith achieved on normal.

Yes the story is a bit shit and boils down to "Your sister Kate has been kidnapped by the government. Are you a bad enough traceuse to rescue Kate?" It's still crazy amounts of fun though.

Actually it was more like, "my sister was arrested by a Fascist corporation who are trying to pin a murder on her so the real police force that she works for can be replaced by that Fascist dictator's own hired protection force. Are you a bad enough traceuse to save her?" Although you are pretty much spot on, I always feel the need to remind people that the actual police force never chases you so it isn't really a government. CPF stands for City Protection Force aka Callaghan's(who is a woman apparently) hired mercenaries. I applaud your knowledge of the difference between trauceur and traceuse, though.

Edited by turbojet

Lol you actually stopped to fight enemies, the last thing on my mind was taking a moment to strike down an enemy, I did that only when necessary. This game is nowhere near awful.

Exactly that, the game pretty much tells you at the start to avoid enemies during the tutorial. The whole idea behind the game is to run and avoid contact with the enemies, attempting to take on the enemies is only asking for frustration and failure. The enemies in this game are designed to be obsticles to overcome and not adversaries to fight. I think theres only one spot where you absolutely must stand and fight an enemy, otherwise, just get a grip with the point of the game and run.

The majority of gameplay issues stem from the fact that controllers are complete shit for precise and accurate movements, which of course is a problem when precision and accuracy are the 2 things you need most when playing an FPS.

See, I generally find that traditional keyboard controls are TOO precise where the don't need to be and not precise enough where they do. The WASD keys only allow for 8 directional movement while the mouse is just built on twitch controls, so if I nudge it ever so slightly when I click down, I miss. And the kicker is mapping it any other way to compensate ends up even worse. I don't get that problem with analog sticks because they're separate from the trigger. But then I found Metroid Prime's controls intuitive, so who am I to talk?

and quickly turned off, due to the combat being quite possibly the single worst aspect of an already dreary and awful game.

I think enough people have told you that ur doin it wrong XD

PC Mirror's Edge being better

I imagine it would be since it was released later and it had more time to be developed. It also had the PhysX engine which made the graphics stunning.

I imagine it would be since it was released later

And still needs to be patched to stop it from breaking, so that's sort of irrelevant.

The Franchise audience must expand for them to reconsider it.

Okay, EA. You want the game to be for a wider audience, then this is what you do: Make the game longer. Add some sort of multiplayer. Fix some of the level design issues(Level 7 and 9 in particular). Fix the glitches and gameplay issues in the game. All of this seems unnecessary since parkour sells itself, but hey, whatever it takes for you guys to be satisfied.

Here is what not to do.

Don't make it grittier and darker just for the sake of doing so.

Don't make the controls easier to grasp.

Make the hand to hand combat easier, but don't put emphasis on guns.

The industry really needs to stop trolling us like it has been this past month. ._.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread but are you thick, turbo? Calling Battlefield a rip-off of CoD is like calling Stret Fighter a rip-off of Tekken. Or calling Mario a rip-off of Klonoa. Infact, CoD has been ripping off of Battlefield since it came out. On top of that, Battlefield is a team-based and skill-based shooter whereas CoD is an outdated and quite frankly, casual shooter with next to no depth or substance. Anyone can win.

Edited by MobileChikane
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I really came in here thinking, "HOLY SHIT AN UPDATE ON MIRROR'S EDGE 2" and it's just a fucking reply to an old comment...

• Thumbs Up 4

I really came in here thinking, "HOLY SHIT AN UPDATE ON MIRROR'S EDGE 2" and it's just a fucking reply to an old comment...

Yeah, again, sorry for bumping. :(

Yeah, again, sorry for bumping. :(

It's alright... I still have hope in Mirror's Edge 2. B)

• 1 month later...

Link

Battlefield 3's stunning graphics engine catches the eye of every single gamer who watches a trailer of EA and DICE's promising FPS. Now, imagine DICE's long-anticipated sequel to Mirror's Edge using that same engine. EA Games President Frank Gibeau seemed to hint at the possibility during an interview with GameTrailers' Geoff Keighley (cited by IGN).

Gibeau first confirmed that the sequel to the fast-moving first-person sleeper hit Mirror's Edge is still in development: "We love that franchise. The DICE guys really created something special the first time around. You've got to have a big idea to be able to do the next one, and that's what we're working on."

When asked if DICE's Frostbite 2 engine could power Mirror's Edge 2, Gibeau said: "You'll see that combination, I'm sure."

Earlier this year, Gibeau said EA was trying to figure out how to bring Mirror's Edge back, emphasizing a need to make sure that the sequel is better than the original and that said sequel finds a bigger audience. If there are any updates, we'll keep you posted.

Nick's Take: Mirror's Edge fans may be disappointed that no Mirror's Edge 2 reveals came at E3, but at least the title is still in development. Plus, whenever the sequel comes out, the game would undoubtedly look amazing if Frostbite 2 was used as the engine. The wait for Mirror's Edge 2 has been long, true, but gamers will want DICE to take their time with a game noted for such innovative gameplay instead of rushing a less promising title to retail.

• Thumbs Up 1