Awoo.

Mirror's Edge Reboot(This is getting ridicolous)...Faith Restored

turbojet

Wait, I thought last time we checked they dropped all chances at a sequel.

Okay, I am super happy again. One of my favorite platformers is getting a possible sequel with an amazing graphics engine; huzzah! At least it will take advantage of the insanely awesome visual capabilities way better than some crummy grimreal war shooter. :>

• 2 months later...

Source

Mirror’s Edge developer DICE has reiterated its hope to bring the free-running franchise back in the future.
A sequel was earlier this year, but when speaking to on the matter studio creative boss Lars Gustavsson said, “No, the dream is definitely still there.”
“It’s a game loved by the studio. It’s one of those games where you miss the universe, such as Shadow of the Colossus. I really liked Alan Wake, for example; I miss being in that universe. I miss being in the Mirror’s Edge universe; sometimes I just need to pick up the controller and play a bit, just to be back.”
Added Gustavsson: “Well, who knows what the future brings? But I would really happy to see it out there again.”
EA’s Frank Gibeau that ideas to bring the franchise back to consoles are being actively worked on, and it’s even been speculated that the game will use Battlefield 3’s Frostbite 3.0 engine. For now though, go and grab a copy of the original.

Stop trolling me. DICE literally has nothing else to do after Battlefied 3 for a good two years. There is no other discernible franchise DICE makes besides Mirror's Edge. You have an idea of what to fix from the first game. You have the desire to do so and the time. You have a demand. Make the damn game. Unless you are going to COD the Battlefield franchise, then I don't see the problem.
Edited by turbojet

Double Post

Source

Oh, how good it is to hear positive news about this franchise. We’ve had off-and-on news about a newMirror’s Edge game for months now, with news ranging from it being all-out canceled, to being just on hold. E3 gave us hope with its hint at the sequel using the same Frostbite 2 engine which Battlefield 3 will showcase this fall. But it’s been pretty quiet. Until now. The November issue of Xbox World Magazine apparently has the scoop of the newest iteration of the first person parkour franchise. The magazine attests to the game being under development over at DICE, and its targeted release date in late 2012. Here’s a quote from the article:

”Better news for anyone who likes beautiful worlds and okay-ish parkour is Mirror’s Edge 2, which DICE and EA have all but confirmed, and which will run on DICE’s eye-destroying Frostbite 2 engine.”

Besides the jab at the game’s silky-smooth traversal mechanics, this gets me giddily excited. ThatBattlefield 3 engine looks phenomenal, and paired with the Mirror’s Edge franchise’s clean aesthetic, it could in fact be “eye-destroying.” And I want to believe all of this 100%, but with no confirmations from EA or DICE, and an odd quiet about the news on other big-name gaming sites, let’s just say I’ll stay guardedly optimistic.

spongebobtongue.gif

YEAH!

My fingers are crossed. All this talk of marrying the franchise with DICE and Frostbite2 sound almost too good to be true. Kinda like the feeling when people say "Did you hear? They're fixing the physics in Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Episode Two...!"

Whether it all comes to pass or not, we'll have to see. In the meantime, turbojet, thank you kindly for the updates!

Well that's nice. For all my gripes with the first game it always deserved a second chance with a sequel and I look forward to seeing it when it arrives.

• 1 month later...

It's still alive... Hope i mean. biggrin.png

http://www.eurogamer...-mirrors-edge-2

Or is it Faith?

Mirror's Edge developer DICE reckons the marketplace is ready for a sequel to its acclaimed-but-underperforming free-running FPS.

When quizzed by Spong on whether a sequel would find an audience, DICE producer Patrick Liu replied, "I think it's something that people are ready to get into again."

"We see that there's a huge fan following, it's almost like a cult! And we know what strengths we had, and what weaknesses we had in that game. If we were to release a new game, we'd know what to improve and how to reach a broader audience. So I definitely think there's a market there."

Of course, enthusiasm is all well and good, but publisher EA has offered no indication that we're any closer to actually seeing that oft-discussed sequel on shelves.

"We're actively looking at how to bring it back in the right way," announced EA exec Frank Gibeau earlier this year.

"We love that franchise, the DICE guys really created something special the first time around. You've got to have a big idea to be able to do the next one, and that's what we're working on."

MY BODY IS READY.

Edited by killemoff
  • Thumbs Up 2

So they are still in the brainstorming step of bring Mirror's edge 2 to life? YES! It's better than nothing.

• 6 months later...
It will also take advantage of Kinect 2 by completely mapping heroine Faith’s movement to yours.

... I'm not the only one who's worried about this bit, right?

This is a really stupid idea.

I mean a really fucking stupid idea.

Motion Controls are one thing, but standing up and kicking a pretend soccerball, or playing pretend baseball, when you can do that outside, is one of the reasons I hate the Kinect.

And boy, I can't wait for the little kid who will get this game and try jumping off his roof or some shit. Apparently neither can EA.

seriously guys, Fuck you for getting my hopes up when this topic was bumped

FUCK YOU *shakes fist angrily*

...Kinect... and Mirror's Edge... just how would- never mind I'm not going to think about it. Mirror's Edge for me was a relaxing experience, I don't get too often in other games, making it Kinect compatible would ruin the relaxing mood for me and make me look like a jack ass destroying his furniture.

• 4 weeks later...

Mirror's Edge 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 3 pops up in Online CVs.

Battlefield: Bad Company 3 and Mirror’s Edge 2 have both turned up in a variety of LinkedIn profiles, suggesting they may both be currently in development at EA DICE.

One LinkedIn user, Michael Joseph C., states that he “provided video game prototype, design and demo feedback on various AAA titles including the Battlefield: Bad Company 3, Dead Space 2, Devil May Cry 5 and other unannounced titles”, between 2009 and 2011.

Meanwhile, the profile of an ex-EA Software Engineer states that he worked on Mirror’s Edge 2 between July and August 2009, implementing “the wandering of crowd system within Unreal3 engine”.

Another ex-employee says that he was tasked with implementing “new gadgets and interactive features” into Mirror’s Edge 2, including “leaderboards” and a “mini-game embedded into mirror’s edge game story”.

Neither Battlefield: Bad Company 3 or Mirror’s Edge 2 have yet been officially announced by EA or DICE, although both have long been rumoured to be in development.

Last year, EA Games President Frank Gibeau said that the publisher “[hasn’t] killed Mirror’s Edge” and that the studio was “actively looking at how to bring it back in the right way.”

Gibeau also suggested that the game, whenever it does finally materialise, would run on DICE’s Frostbite 2 engine.

Could we see either of them at next month’s E3? How long is a piece of string?

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a really stupid idea.

I mean a really fucking stupid idea.

While I agree with this, I have to pick apart the post.

Motion Controls are one thing, but standing up and kicking a pretend soccerball, or playing pretend baseball, when you can do that outside, is one of the reasons I hate the Kinect.

This arguement is as old as "why play Guitar Hero when you can go play a real guitar". Video games aren't a replacement for anything. They're just fun. Besides, even if we did entertain that arguement, not everyone has back gardens or parks to play sports in (let alone the equipment needed for some).

And boy, I can't wait for the little kid who will get this game and try jumping off his roof or some shit. Apparently neither can EA.

And uhh... then it would be the parents' fault for letting their (apparently completely moronic) child play a 15 rated game wouldn't it?

I mean I really hate Kinect too. The complete lack of physical feedback from it makes it utterly fall flat as motion control, since for any games more complex than directly mimicing a real life activity, such as kicking a football, it requires you to do motions representational of actions, not the actual actions themselves, causing a complete disconnect between you and what you see on screen. Yes controllers are even more disconnected, but the problem with Kinect is it tries to be as close as possible to the real thing without being the real thing, which ends up even more jarring.

So yes, while I agree that ME on Kinect would be utterly shit, I have to disagree with your reasoning for it.

On the subject of the game itself, I have to admit, while I'm not looking forward to it nearly as much as these titles, I have put it in my mental "whaaaaaatever it'll be done when it's done" pile of games along with Half-Life 3, Beyond Good and Evil 2 and BioShock Infinite.

I hope we can see a sequel at E3, my fingers are crossed. If it does come out, I hope EA does not take the first games sales data and come to the conclusion it needs more guns and combat...

The game sold 2 million. If anything that is excellent marks for a completely new IP. The problem was that EA's marketing strategy cost a lot and they rushed DICE to shell out a completely unfinished game.