Awoo.

Mirror's Edge Reboot(This is getting ridicolous)...Faith Restored

turbojet

Good shit, EA. Although Mirror's Edge isn't a beat 'em up neither.

Yeah, if the combat is more than 50% what we saw in the trailer, I'll be disappointed.  That said, I still like the part of the combat that involves attacking on the fly, like tripping enemies while you're running by and disarming them.

So I've been thinking about the open world component of this game, and honestly, how in the hell is this supposed to work? The problem with open world games is that there is a level of balance that hardly every gets met. First there is how large the sandbox is versus how much can you actually do in it. This will be a problem if according to the previous game, the City is quite large.

womanonaledge.jpg

whatarelief.jpg

twilight.jpg

I spoilered these for size. But yeah, these are huge landscapes. I fear that this will be Skyrim or Elder Scrolls where you have huge fucking playgrounds, but not much to do in them(although from what I hear, the game tries to offer missions, but it is offset by the monotonous combat). I don't want to play this game and feel like what the fuck am I supposed to be doing? An idea would be to have recurring side quests like Red Dead Redemption and Spider-man 2 in which random events occurred outside the main game. Sort of like, deliver this package to point B as quickly as possible or do this. I feel like they have a lot to tackle because the sheer detail would be immense. I mean a lot of those building in the first Mirror's Edge were just background and had no interactivity. Yet this game probably would demand that every building would have some sort of interior or at least an elevator so Faith could get to the rooftops. Or they have to use extremely intricate and complex level design that one would be able to scale buildings without falling.

Edited by turbojet
  • Thumbs Up 4

The idea of the game being open world has me worried too... Although, If I recall correctly, isn't Assassin's Creed open world to an extent? I played 2 and that game seemed to be really enjoyable to explore and mess around in the city. If Assassin's Creed could pull it off, I'm sure Mirror's Edge 2 could work out something too.

I'm hoping this "open world is the way to go" fad will die off soon.  People that denounce "linearity" are confusing it with simply not having robust mechanics.  And usually linear games end up being MORE robust because breadth always comes at the expense of depth, both in the focus of the design and the budget.  That works if you want to make broad, empty and expansive environments like in Fallout New Vegas or Just Cause 2, but Mirror's Edge seems like the worst kind of game to make open world because it completely revolves around delicately placed level architecture and set pieces.

• 3 months later...

Funny all this hostility towards and open world Mirror's Edge when one of the biggest fan demands several years back was to implement an open world. 

Perhaps it was because the game was too friggin' linear; there wasn't any way to traverse the game besides the path set for you, and, since this was a game about freedom and movement, that must've felt too restricting. Not only that, but it punished you for trying to find an alternate path. Thought that you could make that jump, did you? Think you can squeeze through here, or punch out this vent and sneak on by?
That was the biggest issue with Mirror's Edge. It was Point A -----> Point B. Maybe it sometimes felt a bit like Point A \___/^\--> Point  B, but it was always as linear as a 5th grade point slope formula. For a game as set on free-running and parkour as it was, that was a major design flaw. 

Here, we have an open world Mirror's Edge announced and the biggest fear is the utter lack of linearity.

Well, no, it's that Exceptional Asshats are going to bungle it up like nobody's business, but the lack of direction is concerning. I'm confident they won't fail on that regard, but I'm a bit more hardcore with open world games. Even Just Cause 2 and GTA V didn't trip me up.

Now understand that I'm all for it, but that's just me: I've been waiting for an open world 1st person free running game for years (Sleeping Dogs came close; but it as 3rd person). But I think that, to many, the same principles Sonic relies on work for Mirror's Edge.

Think of it: when does Sonic work best? Not when the stages are linear, that's stopping far too short. It's when the stages are open-ended, but not open-world. Givvus options. Alternate paths, ones we have to look for, ones we become forced to traverse if we're not careful, one linear path amongst 5 creative ones, that order of business. Too linear, and the game becomes a bore 5 hours after you beat it. Too open, and you don't know what to do, where to go, and it becomes a pain to traverse. And while it may be eye/story candy to explore, if there's nothing to do, or even if there stuff to do but they're not fun or it doesn't feel like there's anything to do (Saints Row the Third comes to mind) then you'll lose interest.

In any case, I care little. Just bring on the open world. 

Edited by Sky Hedgehogian Maestro
  • Thumbs Up 1

We haven't heard anything about the game since it was revealed back in June. A bit odd.

Not really. They just don't have anything else worth showing off or talking about yet. Give it time.

We haven't heard anything about the game since it was revealed back in June. A bit odd.

I've only gotten interviews fro developers who are also working on Battlefield 4. Nothing in specific about the game itself. Also Kotaku articles gushing about how great the game is only for some assholes to gripe about how short the story was and how bad the combat was in the comments. Other than that, nothing much about actual developments pertaining to the game itself. 

After watching the trailer again, I noticed something. It looks like runners vision may be gone. The door she broke through didn't turn red, and neither did any of the weapons the enemies used before they got disarmed.

I was thinking runners vision could have just turned off for the purpose of the trailer, but red seems to be the default colour of a few objects now, such as the lounge chairs. It does look as though runners vision has been removed or replaced.

I'm just guessing. It's pretty interesting though.

I don't mind the less colourful aesthetic (I actually played with runner vision off first time for realism), but I do hope they actually colour in the plants this time.  "The point" of leaving them uncoloured wasn't enough to distract how off that looked to me.

Better late than never.

txc3e9s.png

The plants are still uncoloured. The screenshot is a little blurry, but in action you can see it's a plant.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an RL vid that makin' me more hyped for Mirror's Edge. If only it could be in Oculus...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-mEnMMmSrQ

Well we get this to pacify us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVdZh03ju6U

Hey, what if Mirror's Edge 2 is being developed for the Oculus, and when the Rift gets a release date confirmed is the day we also learn the release date for Mirror's Edge Zero?

2? Zero? Reboot? I don't care anymore, I just want ME!

Wait... "Perfect Dark Zero"... No, I'd rather Mirror's Edge 2 or "Mirror's Ed—"

"Sonic The Hedgehog (2006)".... Mirror's Edge 2?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/04/battlefield-4-problems-halt-future-projects-and-expansions

(tl;dr version: Mirror's Edge 2 has been halted because they half-assed their job on Battlefield)

What a shitty-ass load of bullfuck! If they're shipping their flagship games in this state, imagine how horribly they'll fuck up Mirror's Edge!

Back on E3 '13, the trailer said: "Coming... when it's ready"

At this rate, the trailer should actually have said: "Coming... when it's fucked up"

To be fair, BF4 was rushed because EA wants to beat CoD with it so badly and also for the holiday money. Mirrors Edge has NO competition, so it will pretty much come out whenever it IS ready.

• 3 weeks later...

Original writer not brought along for the reboot

Mirror's Edge co-story designer Rhianna Pratchett not working on reboot [update]
by Sinan Kubba  Writer RSS on Jan 8th 2014 10:30AM

EA haven't approached Mirror's Edge co-story designer and writer Rhianna Pratchett about returning to DICE's upcoming reboot, the author revealed this week. Pratchett, who served as lead writer on the recent Tomb Raider and as co-story designer and writer on Heavenly Sword, went on to say the Mirror's Edge story "didn't review that great," and that she considered herself a "casualty of the development process."

Pratchett has spoken about her disappointment with the first game's story before. Talking to ActionTrip in 2012, she said, " DICE was a great company to work with, but Mirror's Edge was a challenging project and an important learning experience for me. Unfortunately, because of the timing when I was brought in and a large amount of the script being cut (due to the late decision to remove level dialogue) the narrative wasn't what I would've liked it to be. Thankfully, I got the chance to remedy this a little bit in the Mirror's Edge comic series with DC. The story in those was much more along the lines of what I would've liked to have developed for the game."

Pratchett added, "I've been quite candid about what happened with Mirror's Edge, because I know some players were disappointed with the narrative in the game. The upshot of that is that I've probably blotted my copy-book with DICE. I'd love the chance to do it again under the right circumstances, and I have plenty of ideas, but I doubt that's going to happen."

After years of speculation, EA finally unveiled the long-speculated Mirror's Edge reboot at last year's E3 conference, and the game is currently in development for Xbox One, PS4, and PC. It'll feature a new origins story for lead character Faith, although the publisher is keeping that under wraps for now.

As for Pratchett, she's being kept busy with upcoming TV and film adaptations of her father Terry's work, including a movie of The Wee Free Men and a BBC series of The Watch. And how about the Tomb Raider sequel, hmmmmm? "Can't say, sorry." is the answer to that.

Update: Following today's news, we got in touch with Rhianna Pratchett to ask whether or not she'd be prepared to work on the new Mirror's Edge game if asked, and what she'd want to do differently second time around.

"A lot of it would depend on the time frame involved, the attitude of the team and what they were looking to do with the characters and world this time around," she told us, while noting she'd outlined some of what she'd do with a prequel with the comic series she wrote for the first game. 

Check out what Pratchett had to say in full after the break:
"A lot of it would depend on the time frame involved, the attitude of the team and what they were looking to do with the characters and world this time around. The previous game was hampered by narrative coming in too late, which meant it needed to be retrofitted around existing levels, mechanics and other assets. It's not uncommon for games writers to be brought in late, but it severely limits the kind of story that they can create. I think Mirror's Edge was a big learning experience for everyone involved in terms of the importance of thinking about narrative early on.

"I've pretty much outlined some of what I'd do with a prequel in... well, the prequel, which I wrote as a 6-part mini series for DC Comics. The comics allowed me a bit more freedom to explore the world and characters in a way that the confines of the game wouldn't allow for.

"The story in the comics revolved around what happened in the city, how the Connors family were involved, Faith's meeting with Merc and how she came to join the Runners. It also delved into what the Runners carry, why and for whom, with a personal story for Faith woven in there. It also included Faith getting her famous tattoos. The arm one, in particular, is quite significant to her.

"One of other things I did was broaden out the scope of the world to include the areas outside the super shiny city of the game; the parts that are more rundown, but a little livelier. I saw the main city like one of those creatures that lays its eggs inside the body of another and the resulting offspring gradually take over the host, leaving nothing but a husk."

Mixed feelings on this. Pratchett is a mediocre writer at best as I felt underwhelmed by her previous work with Heavenly Sword and Tomb Raider. While I know that Mirror's Edge was not mostly her fault, her angle of the story seemed underwhelming(I read the comics that she is referring to, not that great to be honest). However, EA's priority with this game worries me as they are telling a story without the direction of someone who fucking created the world. I don't know. Maybe they want to take it in a different direction.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 months later...
Link
Mirror’s Edge 2 out 2016, has open world and persistent online claims rumour
Mirror’s Edge 2 – Faith rewarded?
Rumours claim that the new Mirror’s Edge will get rid of the original’s dodgy combat, and won’t arm Faith with a gun.

The trailer below is the only official confirmation that a new Mirror’s Edge exists, with EA refusing to talk about the game since the unveil at last year’s E3. But website Rocket Chainsaw claims to have been leaked new and exclusive information.

The Australian site also claims to have seen ‘video content’ of the game, and that the gameplay sections of the trailer are in fact real-time and not just a pre-rendered mock-up (although other elements in the trailer clearly are).

The original game was released in 2008 and was praised for its innovative first person platforming and slick visuals. At the time it was also criticised for its narrow, linear levels; weak combat; and trial and error gameplay, but those failings have been increasingly forgotten as the years have gone by and the mythical status of its sequel has risen.

If these rumours are right though developer DICE certainly seem to be aware of the original’s problems and the new game is described as having an open world level design and a more complex and fluid combat system.

‘Faith [is] able to push, punch, and kick enemies out of the way, over ledges, tables, and railings. These physics driven interactions are combined with 1-2-3 punch/kick style combos, wall running, flips, and other martial arts moves, as well as brief grapples,’ claims the rumours.

‘Occasionally a third person take-down move will be used when an enemy is beaten, and ‘adaptive slow-motion’ is used vary sparingly, mostly just to highlight cool sequences, like the E3 2013 trailer face punch.’

Faith does not have a gun by default, which will certainly please fans, and not even melee combat is a focus, with DICE instead considering the game to be a racer more than anything else.

‘DICE wishes to seamlessly integrate encounters and the combat system into the feeling of speed and parkour mastery, so players even while fighting are still on the move, making progress, and interacting with their environment.’

On top of this is talk of co-op and competitive modes, as well as an always online area of the environment which is considered a multiplayer ‘playground’ comparable to Journey – where you can mess around with other players outside of the main story.

Whether any of this is true or not we’ve no idea, but it certainly sounds like what a new Mirror’s Edge should be like, whether it is or isn’t.

The only downer is the supposed 2016 release date, but then you could hardly say that the new game has been rushed at any point…

Pros:

Improved combat

Online multiplayer

Cons

Release date 2016

But 2016 though? Maaaaan.

That's an awfully long wait...I hope it's Q1 2016 at least. D: 

Anyway, from what little information we have it sounds bloody brilliant especially the lack of guns! I always thought those were dodgy in the original game.

I don't get it. How does a game announced in 2013 come out in 2016? Is this the amount of work current-gen console games require? Did they announce it when it was at the very beginning of it's dev cycle or something?

• 2 months later...

We're getting more details on Mirror's Edge E3, right? Well E3 is less than 2 weeks away. E3 2013 was a pretty good one, but with Oculus Rift in E3 2014, this may be one of the most memorable E3s yet.

As for the release date, Perfect Dark was announced in 1997, and didn't see the light of day until 2000. I bet you, if the 6th gen didn't start until 2003, it would be far more of a best seller than it already was.

There's no guarantee that we'll see anything Mirror's Edgey at E3 at all, and to be honest I don't think it likely to show up this year anyway. I'll obviously be happy to be wrong, but right now I just don't see it.

Just because games have been known to be announced several years prior to release, that doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it. With a couple of years' wait time, and little information coming out, pretty quickly it'll become vaporware to many, the hype will fade away, and even with a good flow of information, over that amount of time we'll get sick of it.

Better to place the announcement and release date within about 18 months of one another.