Awoo.

Dead Island

AdventChild

I was turned off from the game even before today from early previews shwoing the game to be too constrained by unrealistic RPG game mechanics, namely invisible out-of-bounds areas and level requirements to use certain weapons. For example you can swing the level 4 pipe but not the level 5 pipe, which kinda kills the immersion of this being a more serious zombie survival game. With all the games coming out this month and the next, I had to pass on this. Might pick it up later, but impressions aren't bolding well for it.

Weapons break after a few hits, after that, you're left with your fists... I chose to play as the asian bitch because she looks like she kicks ass, and though I do wish the stereotypical engrish were much more stereotypical, would make it funny "I will be in need of more weapon soon" LMAO. So far the games been ok, despite me needing to redownload it, and patch it... and start a new save file (I was only an hour in last night anyway, thank you school for not allowing me to waste precious hours of my life). I say rent it, I'm usually sure of what I want out of a game when I see it, but if you're on the fence, or don't like the looks of it and are still sort of interested, give it a rent, play a demo. I paid $50 for a broken game, now that's comedy. Anyway here's 15 minutes of me dicking around in the game, skip to 9:30... beginning is boring unless you want to see a few comments I made in the early parts of the video.

"I BUREH U!" "I WILL SOON HAVE NOTHING TO FIGHT WITH" "I AM STEREOTYPICAL ASIAN BITCH WITH FUNNY ACCENT LALALALALALA".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXBjP2RZ1_k&feature=player_detailpage#t=587s

That said, I like this shit lol.

So then.

Buggy game? Check.

Release the wrong version/incomplete version? Check

Release a patch on day 1? Check.

What else could possibly go wrong? Well... how about sexism and one of the dev team being fired over a blunder? Owww we've not had that yet?

Well... people who have the PC version (the correct one) have been going through the files, and theres a rather interesting file that they've found which isn't active in the game.

One of the characters, Purna, has a skill that has been cut from the main game, the idea being is that if selected, she would do more damage to the male zombies. So what did they name this file? Something like "Feme Fetal?" "Black Widow?" "Praying Mantis?" You know, something appropriate that wouldn't be silly or stupid? Certainly not something that you'd keep in for the retail release right?

Well this is what they decided was a good name.

"FeministWhorePurna"

Wow! What a blunder...

What a blunder indeed... here is what the people responsible for the game had to say.

"The person responsible for this unfortunate situation will face professional consequences for violating the professional standards and beliefs Techland stands for."

Okay.... so someone just lost his job.

What more fail will the Dead Island face? Join us next time, same BAT time! Same BAT channel!

Oh that, found out about the feministwhore thing the other day. Lol, the failure of this game is hilarious.

I guess I'll have to wait on people to mod the game for it to actually come close to being good.

Should the punishment be that severe though? This is equvilant to someone writing a nasty note, having a change of heart and throwing the note in the trash, then someone digging into his trash without his permission and finding the note. After the Hot Coffee case I guess it should be obvious that you don't leave offensive stuff in your code.

For a forum so ready and willing to swallow the shit Sega puts out and dismiss all criticism of it, you guys sure are eager to preemptively dismiss this game without actually playing it. "The failure of this game is hilarious"? Excuse me, but this game is not a failure, in fact it's getting quite a warm reception among gamers (I can even quote some if you want), and it's hardly the most buggy game on the market (Fallout: New Vegas anybody?), and FYI the whole 'FeministWhore' thing is far from being the most offensive thing to come out of a game.

For a forum so ready and willing to swallow the shit Sega puts out and dismiss all criticism of it, you guys sure are eager to preemptively dismiss this game without actually playing it.

Sorry patticus, but when a company releases an unfinished beta copy of their game claiming. It's very hard to not dismiss it.

Also this game is nowhere near as good as the hype the trailers made it out to be, or how people made it out to be, theres a number of really annoying things with it. The bugs and what can only be described as utter cock ups following it's release only help to illustrate everything thats wrong with these huge over-hyped titles that have been released recently.

So after watching the best trailer ever, I was gonna get this game. But now people say it sucks, so I'm unsure....

Anything good about this game besides the open world survival horror? Or can people at least tell me what's so bad about this?

Sorry patticus, but when a company releases an unfinished beta copy of their game claiming. It's very hard to not dismiss it.

Well in fairness, SEGA did the exact same thing with Sonic 4 Wii in Japan. No seriously, people who downloaded it on release day for the old, pre-delay version and we didn't kick up about it.

This whole fiasco with Dead Island is hilarious though. It's a big title, and it's being marred with stupidity around it's release regardless of what the game is actually like. Lots of us haven't played the game and have no intention of doing so, but all of what's going on is interesting.

Ugh... this game, this game.... Guess I'll actually voice my honest opinion about the game now.

For a forum so ready and willing to swallow the shit Sega puts out and dismiss all criticism of it, you guys sure are eager to preemptively dismiss this game without actually playing it. "The failure of this game is hilarious"? Excuse me, but this game is not a failure, in fact it's getting quite a warm reception among gamers (I can even quote some if you want), and it's hardly the most buggy game on the market (Fallout: New Vegas anybody?), and FYI the whole 'FeministWhore' thing is far from being the most offensive thing to come out of a game.

Dude I haven't bought a single SEGA game in about 4 years now, so you can dismiss me from that list. I actually do like it, most people here haven't even played the game. You want to quote someone, quote me, "This game is actually fun, if you can look past the bugs.".

Also this game is nowhere near as good as the hype the trailers made it out to be, or how people made it out to be, theres a number of really annoying things with it. The bugs and what can only be described as utter cock ups following it's release only help to illustrate everything thats wrong with these huge over-hyped titles that have been released recently.

The game was updated on Steam to the correct version, so it really doesn't matter anymore, everyone has been updated to the right version now. I haven't really found the bugs that annoying actually. You'd just have to play/rent it for yourself to see if you'd like it, I mean honestly you bought this and from what I can tell liked it, despite it's poor reviews?tongue.png

Edited by Silencer226

The game was updated on Steam to the correct version, so it really doesn't matter anymore, everyone has been updated to the right version now. I haven't really found the bugs that annoying actually. You'd just have to play/rent it for yourself to see if you'd like it, I mean honestly you bought this and from what I can tell liked it, despite it's poor reviews?tongue.png

I don't even want to touch it right now.

I just went over to PS3trophies.org to look at their DI forum, was quite curious as to the trophy list. Almost every topic is about how the patch has totally ruined their game, save files randomly being deleted, save system not even working, trophies not unlocking, forcing people to totally restart their game.

Even Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas wasn't this bad.

It's just a mess. It's another game which had no beta testing and got released.

I haven't seen a single review of this game. It seems like games of this genre are always buggy regardless. Fallout 3 and New Vegas and now this. What is with quest driven, first person RPGs?

I don't even want to touch it right now.

I just went over to PS3trophies.org to look at their DI forum, was quite curious as to the trophy list. Almost every topic is about how the patch has totally ruined their game, save files randomly being deleted, save system not even working, trophies not unlocking, forcing people to totally restart their game.

Even Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas wasn't this bad.

It's just a mess. It's another game which had no beta testing and got released.

Hmm... good thing I can edit my game files with the pc then tongue.png. Increased weapon durability (takes a lot to break my weapons now lol), no penalty for dieing (no money being taken away), increased field of view, etc... lol.

Edit: Is that the same patch they released on the pc that messed everyone's save file up?

Edited by Silencer226

Some quotes from gamers (not reviewers) playing this:

The feeling of entering a new, unexplored area is just immense. It's like when you're a child and take that extra step and realise you've never been so far away from your normal hangout before. And you want to carry on, it's a thrill, but you're scared of finding yourself in trouble. And the feeling is very reminiscent of The Walking Dead plot lines.

When I first got the game, I didn't know a lot about it and honestly thought the first area was the whole game. You know, the beach, hotel resort and a bit of jungle/road. I thought that was it. But it seems that there is a city area just round the corner and I am totally apprehensive but extremely excited to explore it.

This game is wonderful.

This is so tense. Its feels like I am proper trying to survive here. I'm stuck on the roof of a gas station and I'm literally packing my car full of gas and food whilst trying to out maneuver Z's as there is just too many to fight icon_e_biggrin.gif Feels amazing. Lots of running and scrambling to get safe.

I waaaant. :(

I just picked this up from gamefly, since I didn't want to pay sixty bucks for it. So hopefully I can enjoy this/get 90 percent of the achievements in the few weeks time I have it.

All I've heard about this game is that it is sort of a mix between Fallout and Dead Rising. I didn't really like Fallout and never played Dead Rising but Zombie games appeal to me, and so do open world games. So it's great but not amazing?

A couple more quotations from players:

Thats what i fucking love about it. Just the survival aspect. Its like being in a proper zombie film, unlike say recent resi games where its jsut OTT camp bosses and fantastical mosnters and evil corporation destroying. This is just scavenging weapons and shit to survive icon_e_biggrin.gif

We'll need to get co-op on the go icon_e_biggrin.gif I am loving this. Fuck the haters. Fuck knows what half the reviewers were on about.

Looks like I'll be picking this up come my next pay day.

Amazing.

Holy shit, this is even better than the Hokuto Shinken mods in Fallout 3. The only thing that would make this better is if the zombies exploded a short time after being hit.

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

Vanquish was fucking awesome.

Patticus, you know I am low on cash since I have a shit ton of pre-orders coming in. I would have gave this game a chance if it were remotely like it's trailer.

Can you actually do that or do you have to hack the game?

It's a fairly obvious mod, low gravity, for starters.

A Fist of the North Star first-person brawler would be AWESOME, though.