Awoo.

Does Sonic Unleashed Stack Up?

Lightspines

This sums it up for me basically. I was so impressed with the daytime stages at first, but once you realize it's nothing but hold forward and memorization to react to events, it gets boring. I can't even touch Unleashed after playing Colors. The hubworlds were basically useless too, as there was barely anything you could do in them besides have useless conversations with people. I liked the Adventure fields in SA and S06 better, where there was alot more to do in them. Specifically in 06, which actually had the best adventure fields in the series in my honest opinion.

There was barely anything you could do in the Adventure fields in SA and S06 as well (Oh right, there was missions in S06, but who wanted to wait a minute to play them anyway?).

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I observe, a big share of the people who say Colors craps on Unleashed only speak from the experience of playing the Wii & PS2 versions. It's not really a fair comparison.

Colors craps on the HD version.

Colors takes a steaming diarrhea dump and then pisses on the Wii version.

HD Unleashed was good. I had a lot of fun with it, and it was one of the better 3D Sonic games. I don't really enjoy it so much any more because Colors sort of ruined it for me, I guess. It just seems so much worse now. I realized how much I'm just holding down the boost button.

The Wii version was never good, and it's horrible still. I would rather play '06 straight for ten hours than ever pick that damn game up again. If I ever have to touch it, it's because I'm moving it outside to light it on fire and then sprinkle the ashes in the sewers.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the daytime stages in the Wii version is pretty fun. The HD version daytime stages from what I can remember has too much memorization and trial and error. I would like to play it again after playing Colors.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm gonna get tons of hate for this, but while Colors was fun, it was kinda boring for me and I felt that it "played it safe" too much. The whole thing, from the story, to the gameplay, had this overwhelming feeling of lukewarmness to it.

Not to mention while Unleashed HD had automated parts, none of them were as bad as Starlight Carnival Act 1, where you could literally put the controller down for 30 seconds and watch Sonic frolic by himself.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm gonna get tons of hate for this, but while Colors was fun, it was kinda boring for me and I felt that it "played it safe" too much. The whole thing, from the story, to the gameplay, had this overwhelming feeling of lukewarmness to it.

Not to mention while Unleashed HD had automated parts, none of them were as bad as Starlight Carnival Act 1, where you could literally put the controller down for 30 seconds and watch Sonic frolic by himself.

I gotta agree with this(Though I haven't played the HD version of Unleashed). Colors is fun, but Unleashed looks like its got more going on cinematic wise and gameplay wise.

Also the majority of Colours was 2D, which was not what I wanted from the latest 3D Sonic game.

(At some point mind you I plan to play through Colours with a stopwatch and literally time how much is 2D and how much isn't).

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm not sure Unleashed ever held up to begin with to be honest. The Sonic stages were something new and fresh but considering they only amounted to approximately 25% of the game time while everything else was flogged with Werehog, needless sidequests and medal hunting, it marred down an entire experience which in retrospective is hard to even consider reflecting upon since most people who actively replay it tend to draw comparisons between Colors and Unleashed, only considering Sonic gameplay being the complete package here.

• Thumbs Up 1

There was barely anything you could do in the Adventure fields in SA and S06 as well (Oh right, there was missions in S06, but who wanted to wait a minute to play them anyway?).

The sense of exploration and the hugeness of the fields was good enough for me. Even if everyone controlled like crap, I loved just running across rooftops and just exploring the area. It's why I just love exploration games overall, like the Legend of Zelda and Assassin's Creed. It's the reason I don't hate the treasure hunting. I just LOVE exploration. Sonic 06's adventure fields were big enough for it, while SA and SU were not.

I'm not sure Unleashed ever held up to begin with to be honest. The Sonic stages were something new and fresh but considering they only amounted to approximately 25% of the game time while everything else was flogged with Werehog, needless sidequests and medal hunting, it marred down an entire experience which in retrospective is hard to even consider reflecting upon since most people who actively replay it tend to draw comparisons between Colors and Unleashed, only considering Sonic gameplay being the complete package here.

Well spoken. The daytime stages in Unleashed might have been fun, but when judging a games quality, you need to take the entire game into consideration. And like you said, 25% worth of entertaining stuff does not weigh up 75% of boring stuff. So all in all, Sonic Unleashed was a pretty boring game, and if you ask me, it's pretty much as simple as; a boring game = a bad game.

Of course, like you also said, fans in general seem to give the game a pass only due to how it actually got Sonic 3D gameplay somewhat right after years and years of it being done horribly wrong.

Well spoken. The daytime stages in Unleashed might have been fun, but when judging a games quality, you need to take the entire game into consideration. And like you said, 25% worth of entertaining stuff does not weigh up 75% of boring stuff. So all in all, Sonic Unleashed was a pretty boring game, and if you ask me, it's pretty much as simple as; a boring game = a bad game.

The Wii/PS2 version is 75% Werehog, 25% Sonic.

The PS3/360 Version is 50% Werehog, 50% Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Wii/PS2 version is 75% Werehog, 25% Sonic.

The PS3/360 Version is 50% Werehog, 50% Sonic.

Not in Gameplay time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yet, in SA1, Sonic accounted for around 30-40% of the overall gameplay time. In SA2, he accounted for 33% or less, depending on how long the Treasure hunting stages took. The only difference between SA2 and Unleashed, is that 1 came out earlier than the other, and as such, is drenched in nostalgia.

Let me remind you people that SA2 and Unleashed are very, very similar. Both games had pointless filler, which existed solely to extend gameplay time. Both contained linear levels, Unleashed was just faster.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most Unleashed fans played beyond the main story and into missions, secret stages and DLC remember. The main story does have more Werehog in terms of playtime, but the game AS A WHOLE, has way, WAY more daytime gameplay. On Wii/PS2 it's about 50/50 when including extra gameplay.

Also, I get a free pass from the "You can't compare Colours and Unleashed JUST by Sonic gameplay! 8D" arguement because I enjoyed everything in Unleashed, Werehog, Medal Hunting and Hubs.

Edited by JezMM

Discussion about Unleashed, to me, is always negatively defined from the outset and thus nakedly marred by the assumption masquerading as fact that everything that wasn't daytime gameplay is indefensible, and that anyone arguing against that motion must start by climbing out of that hole regardless of their opinions and rebuttals. This is not only a dishonest way to define and have a discussion based upon one's subjective experiences with a work of art, regardless of which side of the fence you fall on, but the way it's commonly done in the context of comparing Unleashed to other games is in only looking at the gameplay from one specific viewpoint, that viewpoint usually being "Is it consistent or not?" Instead, the possibilities of gameplay as a framing device for both the narrative and for world-building, and indeed everything else that goes into a game besides gameplay, seems to be vastly ignored, and it is in these contexts that Unleashed blows Colors and arguably every other 3D Sonic game not only out of the water, but off the god-damned planet.

But understand, no one needs to defend the motion that gameplay is important for, well, games, and that it should be good. Nonetheless, I think the complete separation- not necessarily the elevation- of gameplay from every other aspect of the modern video game makes it more difficult than necessary to discuss them as sums of their parts, as actual works, not merely as a series of parts or as only a showcase of gameplay.

In short, the world-building, the atmosphere, the pacing, and the overall scale of Unleashed are in such a level all of their own in the that it makes it extremely easy for me to dive back in and rightfully downplay any gameplay quips I may have had at the outset of starting the game. Earth as depicted in this game is heavily realized in the way the levels celebrate their locations and make you a part of the set pieces within them. Travel is highly realized, and as either Sonic or the Werehog, you're going to find yourself in markedly different locations in each continent-- towns, outskirts, and different types of natural environment. The hubs help too; They're clear and quick to navigate, and they're chock full of optional content, side-quests, and folk that are actually interesting and amusing to talk to, which helps emphasize the travel theme and lend empathy to the citizens when you're in the final leg of the game. I even like the way Dark Gaia and Perfect Dark Gaia were set up to convey the sense of scale of both Dark Gaia and the colossus, and the separate tasks you were entrusted to do just to reach Dark Gaia and weaken its defenses. It hearkens back to SotC in that regard, and I like it.

In comparison, Colors Wii doesn't even try. We have planetary amusement parks, but a practically non-existent focus on their scale and the parks' impact of the normal environment of the kidnapped planets which raises the question of why in the world the game even needed the whole gimmick in the first place. Planet Wisp is one of the biggest offenders. We get all of this promotional material showing the Wisps in their natural habitat, which was a very unique-looking place, and the most we get out of it in terms of actual interaction is about a five-second run from the edge of the forest straight into Eggman's construction zone. Furthermore, the parks themselves are completely empty and devoid of visitors and life. Then the climax comes, which is indeed an adrenaline rush, but it's completely dragged down by the relative lack of energy throughout the rest of the game. The run down the elevator ends too soon and is marred by no actual difficulty spike considering the actual circumstances, the final boss loses any and all meaning because the Wisps as well as Eggman and Sonic's feud were not elaborated upon in any way to warrant the final attack or the slow-motion, and of course, it was also piss-easy.

Overall, Colors showed me just how scared Sega really was to do anything with the ideas they'd come up with because the public gave them hell for the very last installment for doing exactly that. Colors possesses ungodly amounts of unrealized potential that only serve to make its very existence frustrating. After beating the final story, I have no wish to return to it again because there's really nothing for me to return to. It was just a level, tame, boring, sanitized experience.

• Thumbs Up 5

Discussion about Unleashed, to me, is always negatively defined from the outset and thus nakedly marred by the assumption masquerading as fact that everything that wasn't daytime gameplay is indefensible, and that anyone arguing against that motion must start by climbing out of that hole regardless of their opinions and rebuttals. This is not only a dishonest way to define and have a discussion based upon one's subjective experiences with a work of art, regardless of which side of the fence you fall on, but the way it's commonly done in the context of comparing Unleashed to other games is in only looking at the gameplay from one specific viewpoint, that viewpoint usually being "Is it consistent or not?" Instead, the possibilities of gameplay as a framing device for both the narrative and for world-building, and indeed everything else that goes into a game besides gameplay, seems to be vastly ignored, and it is in these contexts that Unleashed blows Colors and arguably every other 3D Sonic game not only out of the water, but off the god-damned planet.

But understand, no one needs to defend the motion that gameplay is important for, well, games, and that it should be good. Nonetheless, I think the complete separation- not necessarily the elevation- of gameplay from every other aspect of the modern video game makes it more difficult than necessary to discuss them as sums of their parts, as actual works, not merely as a series of parts or as only a showcase of gameplay.

In short, the world-building, the atmosphere, the pacing, and the overall scale of Unleashed are in such a level all of their own in the that it makes it extremely easy for me to dive back in and rightfully downplay any gameplay quips I may have had at the outset of starting the game. Earth as depicted in this game is heavily realized in the way the levels celebrate their locations and make you a part of the set pieces within them. Travel is highly realized, and as either Sonic or the Werehog, you're going to find yourself in markedly different locations in each continent-- towns, outskirts, and different types of natural environment. The hubs help too; They're clear and quick to navigate, and they're chock full of optional content, side-quests, and folk that are actually interesting and amusing to talk to, which helps emphasize the travel theme and lend empathy to the citizens when you're in the final leg of the game. I even like the way Dark Gaia and Perfect Dark Gaia were set up to convey the sense of scale of both Dark Gaia and the colossus, and the separate tasks you were entrusted to do just to reach Dark Gaia and weaken its defenses. It hearkens back to SotC in that regard, and I like it.

In comparison, Colors Wii doesn't even try. We have planetary amusement parks, but a practically non-existent focus on their scale and the parks' impact of the normal environment of the kidnapped planets which raises the question of why in the world the game even needed the whole gimmick in the first place. Planet Wisp is one of the biggest offenders. We get all of this promotional material showing the Wisps in their natural habitat, which was a very unique-looking place, and the most we get out of it in terms of actual interaction is about a five-second run from the edge of the forest straight into Eggman's construction zone. Furthermore, the parks themselves are completely empty and devoid of visitors and life. Then the climax comes, which is indeed an adrenaline rush, but it's completely dragged down by the relative lack of energy throughout the rest of the game. The run down the elevator ends too soon and is marred by no actual difficulty spike considering the actual circumstances, the final boss loses any and all meaning because the Wisps as well as Eggman and Sonic's feud were not elaborated upon in any way to warrant the final attack or the slow-motion, and of course, it was also piss-easy.

Overall, Colors showed me just how scared Sega really was to do anything with the ideas they'd come up with because the public gave them hell for the very last installment for doing exactly that. Colors possesses ungodly amounts of unrealized potential that only serve to make its very existence frustrating. After beating the final story, I have no wish to return to it again because there's really nothing for me to return to. It was just a level, tame, boring, sanitized experience.

This to the nth degree.

Frankly, you can't really blame Sonic Team for playing it safe though really. It was a response to the overwhelming negativity surrounding Unleashed; their biggest budget Sonic Game since God knows when. Its a shame really. Though, this was the Story Book Team at work here.

I wonder what Sonic Team HD would do with a game after Unleashed. That remains to be seen.

Edited by Nepenthe

I think the game being easy makes the game more fun in my opinion. I'd rather play a game that is easy to get into then to a game that is way too frustrating and not really fun. If they want to make the game more difficult then they would've put bottomless pits everywhere cause that seems like the only time I can actually die in a 3D Sonic game. Other then that Sonic games isn't really that hard anyway.

Edited by sonfan1984

High difficulty for me doesn't necessarily equate to frustration because my expectations for difficulty waver depending upon the circumstances in the game, and difficulty that isn't what I perceive it should be at that moment in time is thus considered wrong.

For example, I expected Tropical Resort to be easy as it's the first level of the game. I expected Terminal Velocity to kick my ass because you're running down an exploding elevator with various robots attacking you and trying to kill you. I know Sonic is unrealistically acrobatic, but I expected some semblance of struggle from that level. Same with the final boss and the fact that Eggman had every Wisp at his disposal at that point. Too predictable, too restrained, too easy, too broken, and overall disappointing, a bad final boss.

Edited by Nepenthe

This forever. I agree with every word, heck it's what I was saying earlier, but much more wordy.

I think the game being easy makes the game more fun in my opinion. I'd rather play a game that is easy to get into then to a game that is way too frustrating and not really fun. If they want to make the game more difficult then they would've put bottomless pits everywhere cause that seems like the only time I can actually die in a 3D Sonic game. Other then that Sonic games isn't really that hard anyway.

I know I've linked to this several times but...

Sure, insane amounts of memorization, skill, and coordination is necessary, but once you've got it down, it feels sooo good to master levels as difficult as these, and that's fun in itself. I think it's more fun than the game holding your hand and telling you how awesome and how much of a big boy you are while you mash the A button. Also, why do people always assume there were never pits in the old games? There were less, yeah, but...man. :Y

Edited by Inferno

I know I've linked to this several times but...

Sure, insane amounts of memorization, skill, and coordination is necessary, but once you've got it down, it feels sooo good to master levels as difficult as these, and that's fun in itself. I think it's more fun than the game holding your hand and telling you how awesome and how much of a big boy you are while you mash the A button. Also, why do people always assume there were never pits in the old games? There were less, yeah, but...man. :Y

I'm sorry, but that might be fun to you but not to me. :\ I like games that are more simple and easier to get into and doesn't take insane amounts of memorization to be fun. The video is pretty impressive to watch I'll give it that.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 2

To each his own I guess. :P I also like easy games that are fun to get into as well, but I do like it when it gets progressively harder in the later levels, and doesn't stay too easy for the whole game.

Actually, I think that's why some people here were disappointed by Kirby's Epic Yarn, because of the very easy difficulty throughout the game.

I'm sorry, but that might be fun to you but not to me. :\ I like games that are more simple and easier to get into and doesn't take insane amounts of memorization to be fun.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Sonic games have always been about level memorization. You'll always suck the first run through, and maybe even the second run, but eventually once you memorized the level you were very capable of speeding through the entire stage while reacting accordingly to every obstacle.

And regardless, if you're just playing just to play the game then it isn't hard at all. Getting S-ranks or Speed-Runs though takes some dedication however. Sonic Colors in particular lacked this.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Sorry to burst your bubble but Sonic games have always been about level memorization. You'll always suck the first run through, and maybe even the second run, but eventually once you memorized the level you were very capable of speeding through the entire stage while reacting accordingly to every obstacle.

I've never had a problem with the level memorization in other Sonic games so I can play those games pretty easily.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Sonic games have always been about level memorization.

Sonic 2 perhaps.