Awoo.

Does Sonic Unleashed Stack Up?

Lightspines

Let me put it this way:

You ring a bell. You get a piece of candy. You ring a bell. You get a piece of candy. You ring a bell. You get a piece of candy. You ring a bell. You get a piece of candy. Etc.

One day, you ring the bell and you get a piece of candy. When you go to put it in your mouth, I punch you in the face. Now, is it your fault for ringing the bell, or is it my fault for deliberately defying your expectations after spending so long purposely building them up? Because that is basically Unleashed's difficulty curve in a nutshell.

This translated too boosting Apotos and Mazuri just fine, and then play Holsoka and crush into those purple spikey balls in the beginning.

This translated too boosting Apotos and Mazuri just fine, and then play Holsoka and crush into those purple spikey balls in the beginning.

Oh no, obstacles(!)

Bottomless pits, fair enough, but to be complaining about obstacles you're supposed to avoid? That's pathetic. Just because the game invites boosting doesn't mean it can't thrown obstacles at you. If they didn't the game would be easy as shit.

When the game advertises the day time stages as "running faster than ever before at breakneck speeds" or some other nonsense like that, I'm not going to go "oh hey, the game says the stages are really fast, let's go slow". I'm definitely not going to say that after playing Windmill Isle where I can go extremely fast and not be punished, and I'm absolutely sure I'm not going to say that after playing as the Werehog for an hour or two.

Well you must not like the older Sonic games.

I'm just going to assume (kind of vague) you're talking about Sonic 1-3&K. I find 2-3&K pretty fun for the most part (except for maybe 1 or 2 levels in each, I honestly can't remember).

Edited by Nix

I find 2-3&K pretty fun for the most part (except for maybe 1 or 2 levels in each, I honestly can't remember).

Just saying that in 2-3&K you also ran into a bunch off stuff that made you loose your rings or send into the opposite direction if you just went fast all the time.

Just saying that in 2-3&K you also ran into a bunch off stuff that made you loose your rings or send into the opposite direction if you just went fast all the time.

They do have their fair share of troubles. but I recall them slowing you down to a rather steady pace before throwing shit at you most of the time (2 stretches it a bit thin a few times, and then there's Marble Garden in 3). I could be wrong, but I still don't find them anywhere near as obnoxious as Sonic Unleashed was.

For this to be a double standard, the two would have to actually be comparable. The only one of the original games where this is the case is Sonic 2 (outside of the couple isolated instances in Marble Zone in Sonic 3), and even then it is only really bad (by which I mean to a level of bullshit enemy/hazard placement comparable to Unleashed) in a couple of levels.

Edited by Tornado

Well, I know I've said this millions of times, and I know this topic is mostly about the HD version, but I think the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed is the worst, most half-assed Sonic game of all time. I don't even know why I actually played until I beat it, and I have not touched it AT ALL since. When I get around to selling my games that I don't play, guess what game is first on the list.

For this to be a double standard, the two would have to actually be comparable. The only one of the original games where this is the case is Sonic 2 (outside of the couple isolated instances in Marble Zone in Sonic 3), and even then it is only really bad (by which I mean to a level of bullshit enemy/hazard placement comparable to Unleashed) in a couple of levels.

What is catagorised by bullshit enemy/hazard placement.

What is catagorised by bullshit enemy/hazard placement.

31617218.png

The easiest-to-find-a-picture-of example.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

31617218.png

Tornado hit it on point. That is one of the most random enemy placements I've ever encountered in any game in my 20 years of playing video games. (FYI I'm only 22) Unleashed HD didn't have anything that random, well until you got to EGGMANLAND. But as a final stage i expected it to kick my ass and ram me ....... to the point I wanted to destroy Unleashed.

31617218.png

Don't forget the entire Metropolis Zone.