Awoo.

Scientists and Engineers

novelty

As I was looking for jobs, I asked my mom about my problem with my resume: How can I get a job with NO experience? She told me to go for internships, and, as reluctant as I am, agreed with her. while I almost left the conversation, she shouted that I should go into the Medical Engineering field for internships.

I don't find a problem with Medical Engineering; its just not my true forte. I rather something related to me. y'know? I figured since I know a lot about computers and media that I can get experience from the Internet/New Media/Digital Media field first, then branch out to somewhere else; which begs the question, why do we need more scientists and engineers in America?

I think we have too much of them...PopSci has some person or people on every page.

As I was looking for jobs, I asked my mom about my problem with my resume: How can I get a job with NO experience? She told me to go for internships, and, as reluctant as I am, agreed with her. while I almost left the conversation, she shouted that I should go into the Medical Engineering field for internships.

I don't find a problem with Medical Engineering; its just not my true forte. I rather something related to me. y'know? I figured since I know a lot about computers and media that I can get experience from the Internet/New Media/Digital Media field first, then branch out to somewhere else; which begs the question, why do we need more scientists and engineers in America?

I think we have too much of them...PopSci has some person or people on every page.

I don't often have a rant, but here we go. Why do you need more scientists and engineers in America? Because you simply don't have enough. No offense, but the ratio of people in media to hard sciences is massive. There are several fold more people promoting products than are actually developing them.

If you look at the numbers of people coming out of university studying media to those getting jobs in media you will be horrified as it is tiny. Everyone these days wants to be a bloody web designer or an artist, and to be honest if you want to go into that field you need to be shit hot. I mean shit hot dedicated devoted. You have to remember that every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to be a web-sommet-or-other nowadays, and it just isn't going to happen because there are so many people with media degrees.

Medical Engineering, while may not be insta-Pokemon fun, is an interesting field in itself, and has lots of cross-over and transferable skills - for example, a lot of my colleagues as nuclear physicists cross over to nuclear medicine, which is incredibly important for things like production of radio-isotopes for x-ray machines and cancer treatments. At the moment there is lack of this material because there aren't the facilities or staff.

Personally, and I have to say this is personally, it's attitudes like "there are too many scientists" that are actually damaging our field at the moment with funding cuts and the likes, and it will only come back to bite you in the arse when you're diagnosed with cancer and you have to wait 6 months to even get a consultation and even longer to get treatment. I think you should really engage your brain before making sweeping statements like that as well.

I think I could talk for hours why you need scientists and engineers, but it really does seem to obvious an answer, no offense.

T

• Thumbs Up 3

I apologise in advance for this but this is a topic very close to my heart.

Why do we need more scientists and engineers?

Wow that to me is very short sighted, scientists and engineers are the innovators which make the world of tomorrow possible. As an engineer myself I will admit I'm a little biased in my thinking, but put simply without engineers and scientists we wouldn't have a lot of the things we take for granted today. Why do we need more? To continue making the world a better place to live, and more specifically to the Americans, to maintain your military superiority over the rest of the world.

With regards to the Internet/New Media/Digital media options, well anyone can do that, and a lot of people do, hell I do it in my spare time for fun and I don't make any money off it. There's a lot of competition in the field because anyone can do it so if your looking to make money in life your going to have to be able to do something very special that no one else can do in the field.

Honestly speaking you want to try and get into the Medical engineering field, at the very least go out an internship in the sector so you can find out if it's really for you. If you don't like it you at least say you have gone out and done this to employers and it may help directing you towards what you really want to do with yourself.

It's up to you in the end what you do but the Internet/New Media/Digital Media field is the easy route that is well travelled with little chance of financial reward, science and engineering is harder but at the same time offers in my view far more rewards in the long term, at the least it looks better on your CV.

• Thumbs Up 2

We need more scientists to make us lightsabers and real life catgirls.

And all that other stuff those guys said.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't often have a rant, but here we go. Why do you need more scientists and engineers in America? Because you simply don't have enough. No offense, but the ratio of people in media to hard sciences is massive. There are several fold more people promoting products than are actually developing them.

If you look at the numbers of people coming out of university studying media to those getting jobs in media you will be horrified as it is tiny. Everyone these days wants to be a bloody web designer or an artist, and to be honest if you want to go into that field you need to be shit hot. I mean shit hot dedicated devoted. You have to remember that every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to be a web-sommet-or-other nowadays, and it just isn't going to happen because there are so many people with media degrees.

Medical Engineering, while may not be insta-Pokemon fun, is an interesting field in itself, and has lots of cross-over and transferable skills - for example, a lot of my colleagues as nuclear physicists cross over to nuclear medicine, which is incredibly important for things like production of radio-isotopes for x-ray machines and cancer treatments. At the moment there is lack of this material because there aren't the facilities or staff.

Personally, and I have to say this is personally, it's attitudes like "there are too many scientists" that are actually damaging our field at the moment with funding cuts and the likes, and it will only come back to bite you in the arse when you're diagnosed with cancer and you have to wait 6 months to even get a consultation and even longer to get treatment. I think you should really engage your brain before making sweeping statements like that as well.

I think I could talk for hours why you need scientists and engineers, but it really does seem to obvious an answer, no offense.

T

I understand where you are going with this...its best in your opinion to avoid the creative digital field for now. Problem is that I am not good at things that are not tangible or available to the naked eye; so I honestly couldn't work so well with theories because there will be too many questions for me to ask to the point of no tomorrow.

It is just that when I come to a field that has no true way of doing a WYSIWYG-type of job, I am afraid that I might bite off more than I can chew. I do that so many times with many projects around my house (eek, still didn't finish the DJ Case mod...owait, need money to get the parts first. :/).

Suck it up and learn to deal with your shortcomings.

That's the best advice I can give you based on what you've said, or you're going to be unemployed for the rest of your life.

Suck it up and learn to deal with your shortcomings.

That's the best advice I can give you based on what you've said, or you're going to be unemployed for the rest of your life.

Alright, I will follow this...

We need more Scientists and Engineers if just for the basic fact that there are never too many, and the more there are then naturally the faster we progress in the sciences.

• Thumbs Up 1

We need more Scientists and Engineers if just for the basic fact that there are never too many, and the more there are then naturally the faster we progress in the sciences.

Just think, we could be exploring the galaxy by now if we had more Scientists and Engineers.

...or at the very least less pollution, more fuel efficiency, highly advanced laptops, better communication sources, AI, better robots, Cyborg technology, better cars, better programs, better education, better understandings, and some much more awesome video games than we do today! :)

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Just think, we could be exploring the galaxy by now if we had more Scientists and Engineers.

You don't need science to explore me, silly~

Oh wait I see what you're talking about now. Yeah. Space travel and all that. Important stuff. Yep. We should be... doing that. That's a thing we should be doing, but we're not, due to a lack of science.

Also, more engineers could mean more eco-friendly building designs. I've seen houses that are built around trees, so the trees go up through the house itself. It's really awesome stuff, and it's better than clearing out a patch of forest for some rich guy's summer home.

Why do we need more Scientists and Engineers?

So we don't end up like the school board of Texas. :P

• Thumbs Up 4

As someone who should be a qualified physicist in August. I feel slightly offended at the implication that there "are too many scientists and engineers". While I may not get on with the engineers downstairs, I can safely vouch without them, you'd be struggling to build any innovation that scientists, or engineers themselves will come up with.

By slashing science and engineering. You stagnate your country. It's always a bad move to say "We have too many". Engineers and Scientists are something there can never be enough of...

My personal ambition was always to be a video game designer, but once I realized the fact that virtually every available job that exists within the video game industry is classified under "programmer", (something that I loathe doing and would loathe my own daily existence if I had to do it as a job) I changed my mind. It turned out that writing lines of code to create games was a thoroughly abhorrent task to me, and that I was far more naturally suited to and comfortable with writing lines of text to criticize and evaluate games instead - my ambition is now to become a video games journalist, though I'm still keeping my pathways open in the case of me changing my mind again; I've chosen GCSE subjects that, if I attain good grades in all of them, will grant me access to the necessary A-Levels that I need to become a scientist, (most likely a physicist) a musician, (not playing any instruments, however; I prefer sequencing with software synthesizers) or a computer engineer and/or software developer (I'm not ruling out programming just yet, even though I currently hate it).

That there is a hell of a lot of options, and in the modern world, you need as many options, choices and skills as you can lay your hands on, and a literal ton of real-life experience to boot; qualifications, internships, temporary employment in lower-grade sectors of work - mix and match them all to create the most desirable resume that you possibly can, and move up the employment ladder as quickly as possible and whenever necessary to ensure that your future stays open and successful. This applies to any and all who are currently seeking work and are hoping for a half-decent occupation in the harsh economic climate in which we live - remember that you're not the only one out there looking for a job, and that you need to have a set of unique or high-grade skills or attributes that trump the competition.

In short, just go for that internship; if it all goes well, then you can add "Medical Engineer" to your skills arsenal, and are far more likely to get a good job than you were before training. If you flunk and fail, then you can at least say that you've tried, and can move onto something that more suits your preferences. Either way, the world always needs more scientists and engineers, and it's a sector that's always hiring and hungry for new talent - if you can get there, you're good to go for life. That should be a desirable prospect for anyone.

Oh, and on an unrelated note: 1000th post! w00t! I feel so happy! ^_^

While I think that scientists and Engineers are needed, I think it's short sighted to try and force people who don't want to go into those fields to do so. People need to want to do these jobs. I think the biggest issue is that these fields are taught poorly in schools, so people don't develop a love for them. (Like how a lot of people are turned off Shakespeare because of shitty english teachers).

once I realized the fact that virtually every available job that exists within the video game industry is classified under "programmer"
Um, not usually? There are plenty of designing jobs, usually designing levels. And there's quite a few jobs going, if you know where to look. Programmers are always in short supply. and even more so now, which is why there's so many jobs going for them. Edited by Gerkuman

Why do you need more scientists and engineers in America? Because you simply don't have enough. No offense, but the ratio of people in media to hard sciences is massive. There are several fold more people promoting products than are actually developing them.

Thank you! This is exactly how I feel as well. Anybody who takes one look at our media can see how much is done on promoting products versus actually developing them. You can never have too many Scientists and Engineers, and one should realize how very important of a role they play.

My personal ambition was always to be a video game designer, but once I realized the fact that virtually every available job that exists within the video game industry is classified under "programmer", (something that I loathe doing and would loathe my own daily existence if I had to do it as a job) I changed my mind.

I went through the same thing.

I am now going into electric engineering.

Edited by Shade ?

While I think that scientists and Engineers are needed, I think it's short sighted to try and force people who don't want to go into those fields to do so. People need to want to do these jobs. I think the biggest issue is that these fields are taught poorly in schools, so people don't develop a love for them. (Like how a lot of people are turned off Shakespeare because of shitty english teachers).

Of course no-one should be forced into it. But there's no such thing as too many :V

We need more scientists and engineers. No doubt. How else will I get a jetpack sometime in my life before I get too old to enjoy one?

I also want to pursue scientifical careers, you know!