Awoo.

Sonic's Greatest Rival

hebitaka

Sonic ain't got no consistent rival. Rivalry in this series seems to not account for anything more than "Guy who exists to lose to Hero", not very compelling.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge

Looking at the actual definition of the rival really shows how lightly the term is thrown around, especially in this series. Really, Sonic has only had like 2 "actual rivals" compared to all of the others, which would have to be Jet and Metal. Knuckles was never a really rival, seeing as any opposition he had with Sonic was more based on misconception than anything else, and has been Sonic's buddy buddy ever since. Silver is pretty much in the exact same boat, even to the point that the only reason why he appeared as a rival in Generations is because he assumed that the White World was playing tricks on him. Shadow never really competed with Sonic for a similar goal outside of maybe being the victor. He was more of a villain in Adventure 2 until he turned around and became good. The only one on one fight that they've had since then was in Generations, but I'm still a bit reluctant to see that as anything more than nostalgia fodder at the moment. 

Jet and Metal on the other hand have always been competing against Sonic in some way, Jet by trying to prove himself as the faster of the two of them, and Metal trying to prove himself to be the true Sonic. Now, to be fair, Metal has also been falling under the role of a villain a lot lately, and at times is more acting as Eggman's lacky than a true rival.

So, Jet is best rival

You have to admit that Metal's rivalry is undermined by the fact that he has never shown up Sonic, something nearly every other rival can lay claim to, as well as the fact that Sega- for some strange reason- gave him that copying ability I hate so much. It would be in Metal's interests if he could be blatantly visualized as a threat beyond his stated homicidal tendencies.

Actually I think that probably was one of the better part of Heroes; Metal Sonic actually didn't just want to defeat Sonic, he wanted to surpass him, replace him. Like a homocidal rival. The border between rival and enemy can be hard to demarcate, but he was closest to an actual rival in that; he had his own feelings of inadequacy that needed to be taken care of.

Alas, they ditched another potentially interesting story (I'm seeing a pattern here) and just made him a mindless drone again later on.

Metal Sonic is Sonic's Rival.

Shadow is not useful.

Knuckles is more of his friend.

Silver is not useful.

Everything else I can't think of.

Shadow is not useful.

Silver is not useful.

Everything else I can't think of.

Define "useful."

As for Metal Sonic - he strikes me as more of an enemy than a rival. He doesn't really seem to want to beat Sonic so much as murder him because his master desires it. Rivals generally do not wish to kill eachother, so much as outperform eachother. There's antagonism, but it can still be respectful and have boundaries. Sly Cooper and Carmelita Fox, the USA and USSR, etc. There can be a fierce determination to come out on top without it being destructive; it's usually something only enemies do when it comes to wiping the other out.

Define "useful."

As for Metal Sonic - he strikes me as more of an enemy than a rival. He doesn't really seem to want to beat Sonic so much as murder him because his master desires it. Rivals generally do not wish to kill eachother, so much as outperform eachother. There's antagonism, but it can still be respectful and have boundaries. Sly Cooper and Carmelita Fox, the USA and USSR, etc. There can be a fierce determination to come out on top without it being destructive; it's usually something only enemies do when it comes to wiping the other out.

Who says he can't be both.

Murderous rivalries are totally valid.

1: a : one of two or more striving to reach or obtain something that only one can possess
b : one striving for competitive advantage

3: equal, peer

Hmm. Looking at the actual terms yes they would be. Though connotation wise murder's usually not part of it... I think most rivals learn that if they kill their rival they will find themselves without someone to constantly face off against.

It seems an outdated use for the word "rival" is a friend or companion. Go figure. Knuckles can still keep his title. :P

Metal Sonic is not useful; he's hardly done anything.

Doesn't the manual for Free Riders say Shadow joined the race to see if his skills were better than Sonic's? That sounds like something a rival would do to me.

Doesn't the manual for Free Riders say Shadow joined the race to see if his skills were better than Sonic's? That sounds like something a rival would do to me.

Well. About bloody time he finally got back on the "show Sonic up" train.

As someone who matches all of Sonic's skills and then some, he's pretty well equipped for rival status. After Heroes though he seemed to quickly become just a darker ally character, rather than a full on rival.

Reminds me. I'd really like for there to be some sort of plot where GUN's orders and Sonic's actions conflict. Would be nice to see Shadow and Sonic competing again...

• Thumbs Up 1

you know on the rival point, wouldnt Fang/Nack fall under that category? in Triple Trouble his main goal was to get the chaos emerald and to stop sonic in the process.... not that we know much more than that, however he did attempt the same thing in sonic drift 2 and sonic the fighters

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

He's more or less focused on purely himself, not really holding a vendetta against Sonic or anything.

you know on the rival point, wouldnt Fang/Nack fall under that category? in Triple Trouble his main goal was to get the chaos emerald and to stop sonic in the process.... not that we know much more than that, however he did attempt the same thing in sonic drift 2 and sonic the fighters

As Spin Attaxx said, he seems to be more of an antagonist than an actual rival. He's one of those "nothing personal, just business" types from all I've heard about him. He doesn't have anything against Sonic, he just naturally butts heads with him or pretty much anyone else. Rivalry requires a focus on the other person and not just yourself; you want to beat that person, displace them, etc.

true, and its not like sonic team has let us see or know anymore about him, and of couesw main reason most people know about him is thanks to the comics. so ya guess that was a null point, but then again, seemed kinda similar, because just like Shadow and Jet, a major point of their contention is the chaos emeralds, which they all are after at various points, at least in the beginning.(also I would say that shadow's battle in generations might have been caused by a time loop.

(also I would say that shadow's battle in generations might have been caused by a time loop.

The Shadow of Generations was the current one. He says "I don't know where we are, nor do I care." This implies he was displaced just as everyone else; I presume due to his tendency to warp time and space anyway he was immune to the Time Eater's effects (similar to how he knew he wasn't in the right timeline in the Archie strip). It sounded like he just wanted to take advantage of the situation to show Sonic up, right back at the same place their last iconic battle happened...

So it sounds like the new writers want him to resume his rival status again. Since prior to Generations he was generally cooperative.

I think shadow would be a good rival if they got his character right, it would clash with sonics carefree, everything is a game attitude, shadow seems to be a lot more serious and focused and won't let anyone stand in the way of the way he thinks the problem could be solved.

Maybe a situation where sonic and shadow have differing views on a problem, shadow thinks sonic is being too silly and needs to take it more seriously, they then fight or race or something to figure it out?

I think shadow would be a good rival if they got his character right, it would clash with sonics carefree, everything is a game attitude, shadow seems to be a lot more serious and focused and won't let anyone stand in the way of the way he thinks the problem could be solved.

Maybe a situation where sonic and shadow have differing views on a problem, shadow thinks sonic is being too silly and needs to take it more seriously, they then fight or race or something to figure it out?

Given that Sonic's basically an anarchist and Shadow's working for the special forces of a government with a questionable agenda, there's a lot of conflict here. Shadow takes orders, whereas Sonic outright opposes the idea of ever doing so. It's a conflict that could really be played up, I think. Never mind the personal conflict within Shadow himself as to whether the government has the right idea or Sonic.

If nothing else there can be a friendly rivalry of sorts. GUN wants something, but so does Sonic. They fight/race/etc. to see who gets it.

I always imagined Shadow as the kinda renegade agent who does things his own way, bending or even breaking the rules to succeed his taskI'm not very good at explaining what I mean, sorry!

I always imagined Shadow as the kinda renegade agent who does things his own way, bending or even breaking the rules to succeed his taskI'm not very good at explaining what I mean, sorry!

Oh no, I see what you mean! Archie's taken that stance too, having him sometimes bend the exact rules of his mission to do the right thing.

I'm sure Shadow has his reservations about working for an organisation that killed everyone he loved, too. Though I always wonder if he somehow fell into the "GUN's better now" mentality and doesn't question them as much.

Then again with his apathy in his own game towards humans there might be some lingering racism within him, however subtle it may be. So who can really tell?

At least we've another source of conflict for Sega to explore if nothing else. Would help re-establish the pair's rivalry, which based on Generations, Sonic Team is interested in.

Hi Total Shadow

Don't feed bro...just report and move on.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Metal Sonic is always trying to kill Sonic, so how can he be competetive when he is direct set in making Sonic dead at every corner.

They're competing over being alive.

Once again I'll post my opinion at the risk of repeating what's already been said.

The answer is Metal Sonic.

A rival is a very important character in a story. He not only opens new possibilities for the main plot, but also he creates subplots just by being there. It's important for a protagonist to have a main antagonist, but it's also important for him to have someone who's able to show the player/viewer not only how the hero fights what's different, but also how he fights what's similar.

Metal Sonic is the best rival because it unifies Sonic with the forces of antagonism that you are playing against. Metal Sonic compliments the whole environment, showing yet another angle of the battle of nature versus machinery. Robotnik could never do that, because if he did, there would be no "other extreme" for Sonic to fight against. Metal Sonic doesn't need a backstory, like Shadow does.

Now, Shadow is a good rival that does sew Sonic Adventure 2's plot - but not its world. Metal Sonic is the one to beat simply because he is there - it's unsettling to have a hedgehog as fast as you, let alone a mechanical one in a world in which mechanical means threatening - while Shadow needs a reasson to oppose you and the other way around.