Awoo.

EDGE to mark 200th issue with... 200 covers

Patticus

Seperate collector's covers to celebrate 200th issue of core gaming mag

The 200th edition of Edge magazine hits newsagents next week, and boasts a world first: the magazine will be issued with 200 collectors’ covers.

The variants include game icons such as Mario, Sonic and Master Chief, alongside forgotten legends such as Dizzy, Q-Bert and Dirk the Daring.

Subscribers will receive a custom-produced cover by LittleBigPlanet developer Media Molecule. Subscribers edition aside, only 200 versions of each cover will be available.

“We were keen to mark Edge’s 200th edition with something special, although we set ourselves a tough task in selecting 200 covers that would represent video gaming’s diversity,” commented Edge magazine’s editor-in-chief Tony Mott.

“Ultimately we’re confident that every Edge reader will be able to find something among the final choices that resonates with their gaming life, and we look forward to seeing which designs prove popular.”

Publishing director of Future’s games portfolio, James Binns added: “Edge is now a truly cross-media brand, with our website delivering timely news, rich content and community, and our print edition maintaining its high production and design values.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/33452/Edge-celeb...with-200-covers

Although it's not exactly an industry first in its concept (wasn't it Q or Empire that did 100 covers under a year ago?), the volume certainly is a first and I'll bet it's going to cost a shedload of cash to make a reality - particularly given the high quality feel of the magazine.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Patticus

• Covskin

• Remy

• CapnCloudchaser

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how they are going to distribute them, I think my store gets 5 copies each month (doesn't sell well in Tesco) so I might see what I can nab.

Here are all the covers...

screenshot211851.jpg

There's a 16-bit Sonic cover in the top right corner that I'd love to get (I won't bother hunting it down though), which I think you lot would love. There's also a Shenmue cover (top left), Bubble Bobble, Bioshock, Viewtiful Joe, Grim Fandango, Metroid, MegaMan, Dead Space, LostWinds, Advance Wars, Tetris, various Resident Evils, Silent Hill, Shadow of the Colossus, some Zelda covers. Many classic games/franchises are represented here.

Damn, 4 covers just for Final Fantasy 6? That be a bit much. Though it is very nice to see the likes of Grim Fandango, Zombies Ate My Neighbours, Beyond Good & Evil and Earthworm Jim in there.

My utmost sympathies to all those collectors though. Have fun trying to get one of each cover :P

That BG&E cover is badass. And dude, is that Flashback next to doom? I loved that game.

EDGE are awesome for shouting out to all this old stuff. Looking at those covers is like looking at gaming's finest moments, brings a tear to my eye.

There are some high quality pictures of the covers - no other magazine (around today) does covers as good as Edge. :D

screenshot_212239.jpg

screenshot_212182.jpg

screenshot_212143.jpg

screenshot_212142.jpg

screenshot_212237.jpg

screenshot_212183.jpg

screenshot_212141.jpg

screenshot_212322.jpg

screenshot_212316.jpg

screenshot_212315.jpg

So many more here.

Wow, I want the Sonic one but I’d settle for any of the Sega ones. The Streets of Rage cover looks cool. I’d also be happy with the Jet Set Radio cover. Buy Edge every month and should really look into subscribing as it’d save me money.

They're amazing covers, I like the Halo and Metroid Prime ones, especially.