Awoo.

PS3 to get "Cloud" based save system

Badnik Mechanic

So the PSN has been down for just about the whole day, reason being? Firmware 3.60 is out tomorrow and as part of that firmware update, PS3 users will get 150MB/1000 file storage for save files, even files which are copy protected can be uploaded to the service.

Benefits of this are obvious, if your PS3 dies or something goes very wrong with your hard drive or anything else, your saved data is backed up and can be used again.... a bit too late for my FF13 save which died along with my old PS3. But this is a well overdue update which is going to put a lot of minds at rest, especially for the next big game.

About bloomin time if you ask me....

There is... a catch...

It's for PSN+ users only... ok that was kinda expected, however from the sounds of it, it'll only be for PSN+ users that take out the yearly subscription.

As someone who was recently contemplating a PSN+ subscription (The free Sega games they're releasing will more than cover the cost) this is one hell of an incentive to get it.

And yes, the service goes live tomorrow.

PSN+ only? fk you Sony. It should be free. We shouldn't have to pay for a service to keep our data safe when it's Sony's fault we could loose our data in the first place.

Edited by Lightspines

PSN+ only? fk you Sony,

Yeah because this service would be free of charge on any system... get a grip for gods sake.

Sony is running out of ideas to get new PS3 victims newcomers :<3

Urm... surely this benefits current owners more than new/perspective ones?

I wouldn't mind paying for those failsafes if PSN+ wasn't lacking enough to begin with. Something like this would indeed be useful but I don't see it justifying the requirements it's set up with.

I'm pretty disappointed in the payed subscription services the consoles offer nowadays. Xbox Live offers you things that should be free while PSN+ offers things that feel way too superficial. The only real benefit I've seen of the latter is access to beta services but these are never that frequent and more than often only regards high profile titles.

Yeah because this service would be free of charge on any system... get a grip for gods sake.

It should be free. We shouldn't have to pay for a service to keep our data safe when it's Sony's fault we could loose our data in the first place.

No reason to be so touchy touchy ;) aha.

Meh, its nothing to get worked up about. If PSN+ users are getting it now then it will probably trickle down to the rest of us in 6-12 months for the sake of uniformity or something. It's not like I've ever had a problem with memory loss or anything (original BC 80 gig model) so I don't really feel like I need it anyway. fail-safes are nice though. At the very least this is good insurance for all the free/cheap stuff PSN+ users get access to.

I wouldn't mind paying for those failsafes if PSN+ wasn't lacking enough to begin with. Something like this would indeed be useful but I don't see it justifying the requirements it's set up with.

Thats why I've never got it before, but as I said in the start with Sega bringing out their classic range to the PSN which is free for PSN+ users, the total cost of those games alone more than makes up for it. So even if you're not a fan of all the Sega stuff, with all the other free stuff you get it will eventually pay for itself.

We shouldn't have to pay for a service to keep our data safe when it's Sony's fault we could loose our data in the first place.

How exactly? Theres a million ways you can loose data on your PS3 and a large number of those are down to what the individual owner does to their console. But as I said, no console would ever do this service for free, when Microsoft announces this feature at E3 (Lets face it they will do sooner or later now Sony has done it) I bet it'll only be for Gold users, or for those lesser down the membership scale it'll be in a very reduced format, but the cost of it will be offset by the subscription charges.

• Thumbs Up 1

It should be free. We shouldn't have to pay for a service to keep our data safe when it's Sony's fault we could loose our data in the first place.

No reason to be so touchy touchy ;) aha.

ALL consumer electronics fail, its statistically impossible to have a 0% failure rate, and the PS3 has one of the lowest failure rates of any electronic device; being <1%, as far as I'm aware. So not its not Sony's fault.

Also, I imagine Sony is testing this out on PSN+ members first to see if it actually works. There is no point bringing something out to everyone if it doesn't work. They might eventually make it free after a trial period and once all the kinks are fixed.

and the PS3 has one of the lowest failure rates of any electronic device; being <1%, as far as I'm aware.

Says who?

Yeah, lowest failure rate, because if your PS3 breaks and you tell Sony that they sue you :F

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

My God the anti-sony mob is getting desperate these days....

's a joke Hogfather, I love messing up peepz ^^

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 3

My God the anti-sony mob is getting desperate these days....

I hate to break it to you, but no one's "hatin" on Sony in this thread. I don't see why you're getting so defensive. I have a PS3, and it's one of my favourite system's at the moment. In my opinion the service should be free, the YLOD will happen sooner or later to the one's that bought the 120GB/250GB slim models.

Edited by Lightspines
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really expected de -rep :3

Listen, it's not that I am Anti-Sony, it's just that I do NOT like Sony as much as I would want to. I LOVE the PS3, I would LOVE to get one, but I hate the way Sony reacts at X thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really expected de -rep :3

Listen, it's not that I am Anti-Sony, it's just that I do NOT like Sony as much as I would want to. I LOVE the PS3, I would LOVE to get one, but I hate the way Sony reacts at X thing.

Cloud-based saving to complement the traditional local save game structure should be the standard for all tiers of ownership on every console. It's great that Sony are implementing it in at least a limited fashion, but they need to roll it out to beused by everyone, and I think that they will if they want any hope of achieving their "play your PS3 games on your NGP without needing the game to be in the PS3 at the time" pledge.

Even if I had a PS3 (and I'm probably NOT gonna get one for a long time), I wouldn't pay for this when it's already free on Steam. Which is coming to the PS3 with Portal 2.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

I hate to break it to you, but no one's "hatin" on Sony in this thread. I don't see why you're getting so defensive. I have a PS3, and it's one of my favourite system's at the moment. In my opinion the service should be free, the YLOD will happen sooner or later to the one's that bought the 120GB/250GB slim models.

Computers break down and crash all the time but no computer manufacturer supplies you with a external Hard Drive or a service such as this for free. I know it's your opinion and all but I find it really irrational.

I will agree, the PSN+ offers are a bit bland atm but this is an incentive (a small, but nice one) to get a PSN+ if you were considering it in the past and/or have a fear of your playstation yellow lighting.

Edited by LunarEdge

Gotta love how people are complaining about a neat additional feature to PSN+ subscribers. Come on, if they were moving away something from regular users to premiums only I'd understand, but if you don't have Plus you will not be worse tomorrow than you were yesterday.

I'd sure love a little space for cloud saves on my peasant PSN account but come oooooon.

I think that they will if they want any hope of achieving their "play your PS3 games on your NGP without needing the game to be in the PS3 at the time" pledge.

Couldn't you just transfer the save back and forth via Remote Play? It'd probably be much efficient too, as you wouldn't have to upload it to the servers prior to downloading the save.

I'm also in the boat of not understanding why exactly Sony should be expected to offer this for free to all PSN users. Cloud-based services are expensive to run.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm also in the boat of not understanding why exactly Sony should be expected to offer this for free to all PSN users. Cloud-based services are expensive to run.

And why does Steam do the exact same thing without charging for it?

Probably because it's running on an already existing network, such as Steam, so the costs are already covered.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because the two services aren't remotely comparable, for reasons above and beyond what Velotix Lexovetikan mentioned above. For starters, Valve makes massive, massive profits off of Steam, which allows them to absorb the dent that free cloud space for users would cause (and it is a small dent, because Steam has always had the required infrastructure in place); whereas Sony probably doesn't even break even on running PSN as it is now, let alone how it would be if every single PSN user was suddenly given a few hundred megabytes of cloud space just for being a PSN user.

Edited by Tornado