Awoo.

Sega Megadrive Classics Dynamic Theme

Badnik Mechanic

This came out of nowhere, just checked the EU PSN store update and theres some new goodies from Sega on it.

The Sega Megadrive Classics Dynamic Theme is currently free to all PSN+ subscribers, at the moment it is NOT available to normal users, not even as a paid use. Now because I'm not a PSN+ user (might be tomorrow) I can't access the content as of yet.

Looking at the display picture I see the following games.

Comix Zone.

Altered Beast.

Streets of Rage 2 (Just the boxart from the second game and not the first).

Sonic 2 (Again the Sonic & Tails boxart).

Golden Axe (The original one).

The description of the theme is even stranger.

If you're a Playstation Plus member, you can download this exclusive item and keep it forever!

Even when my sub runs out?

Now the rest of the description is just the usual how to instal it... but here is the stranger bit...

SEGA, SEGA, the SEGA logo, SONIC & SEGA All-Stars Racing and other related game titles, logos characters and character names appearing in the game are either registered etc etc

Wait what!? Sonic and Sega all stars racing!? But I thought this was a classic theme?

Anyone with PSN+ Fancy downloading this and letting us know exactly whats on it?

Edit: Just managed to find a preview of it, will upload a photo in a moment.

Just noticed that theres a 'preview' of the theme and I've watched it (At full screne). And this theme is quite epic.

The theme is of someones room filled with Sega games and posters on the walls as well as an old 80's TV along with a Megadrive. The desk is filled with Sega games as well as a modern Robotnik statue that I've never seen before.

The TV constantly changes to different Sega Games (currently only shows Altered Beast and Comix Zone.) The wire on the genesis controller also moves as if someone is actually playing the console. Also the catridge in the console also changes when the game on the TV does too.

Here is a photo of it, but bare in mind this is an enlargement of a small video and not a photo of the actual theme on my TV, hence why theres a great reduction in quality, but you should get the idea.

epictheme.jpg

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh wow, I want that theme. Or at least the image alone so I can use it on my desktop.

That is seriously epic. Give us more of the same, SEGA!

That's epic! Hopefully it'll be available to non PSN+ users soon.

But the mystery though, that Sonic and Sega All stars thing. Why would that be on it?

But the mystery though, that Sonic and Sega All stars thing. Why would that be on it?

Maybe there's a reference to the game somewhere if the theme moves around the room.

SEGA Mega Drive car with mystery poster collector character confirmed for ASR DLC?

OMG! He has an 80's TV!!!! The Megadrive was released in 1988!

You know what that means right!?

WE'RE JUST ONE DECADE AWAY FROM 1970'S TROUSERS MODE!!!

Anyway, bang! TSS front page!

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 1

Probably a lazy employee copy and pasted the SASASR dynamic theme info into this theme, thinking "well, that was SEGA and this is SEGA. Same thing."

I'm looking on the PS Store now, but can't find it anywhere, not even in the PS Plus section.

EDIT:

Found it now :P

As of today I'm a PSN+ User... lol guess what I decided to download.

This theme is fantastic. Really it is.

Aside from being a giant nostalgia party, it's amazingly smooth it loads up quickly and plays very well, theres no annoying sounds (Sonic 4 dynamic theme) and each scene is different from the other.

No I don't just mean the game, I mean the room, things change, like the position of the chair, or a window might be open, and even the robotnik statue changes position.

epictheme-1.jpg

epictheme2.jpg

epictheme3.jpg

No sign of ASR content however, I guess it was an error.

damn, that's wicked! if I had a PS3 I'd SO get it! (Hate Sony though. Say, does the XBox360 have themes?)

Seems kind of weird that they used Eggman's modern design for this.

Edit: Why the hell was this post neg-repped twice? I just pointed out that it's weird that, on a theme where pretty much everything is from the time of the Megadrive, there's something that's not from that time. Jesus, at least post something against what I said, instead of neg-repping me like an idiot <_<

Edited by Marcellove
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 3

• 1 month later...

Just seen this on Sega Bits' twitter thingy.

According to them, this theme is going to be released on the main PS Store for non PSN+ users.

Release date is 28th Apri.

This theme has been my background since I downloaded it, it just runs so well and looks great.

Seems kind of weird that they used Eggman's modern design for this.

Edit: Why the hell was this post neg-repped twice? I just pointed out that it's weird that, on a theme where pretty much everything is from the time of the Megadrive, there's something that's not from that time. Jesus, at least post something against what I said, instead of neg-repping me like an idiot <_<

Hmmm... (Gives you the +Rep)

No idea why two people did that, but you are correct, it is a tad strange for the modern design since it's a retro setting, but I think it's just an ease thing, not that easy to find a classic Robotnik statue *pats the head of my classic robotnik statue.*

I'm looking on the PS Store now, but can't find it anywhere, not even in the PS Plus section.

EDIT:

Found it now :P

Where did you find it? I can't find it. D=

Edit: Nevermind.

Edited by Spicylicious Girl

Maybe ASR is mentioned due to the Eggman statue? Could be a direct rip from one of the victory poses or somesuch.

I'm eagerly awaiting... a YouTube video of it, since there's no way I'd be able to get it on the only PS3 I have access to.

Maybe ASR is mentioned due to the Eggman statue? Could be a direct rip from one of the victory poses or somesuch.

I'm eagerly awaiting... a YouTube video of it, since there's no way I'd be able to get it on the only PS3 I have access to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6x_IehqwIs&feature=player_embedded

http://www.segabits.com/?p=8893

There you go.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thats probably the best explanation for the disclaimer I've seen, chances are that is the reason for the ASR mention.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

So.... PSN being down for so long was pretty rough.

But at least I got this Theme without paying for PS+ Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Can I just ask where this theme is? I've been looking for it since the PS Store went back up, and I can't find the frigging thing anywhere!

So I checked my download history, and the file is still there. So it's still on the PSN in some form.

However, searching for the file via the PSN search brings up nothing. Looks like Sega took it down.

I only ever remember seeing it in the PSN+ Section of the store. Normally it would get moved out of there into the main area after a few weeks/when the PSN+ offer expires.

However it doesn't appear to have happened. Looks like it was a limited offer for PSN+ users at the time only. Which I think is a strange move by Sega as it would certainly sell if put onto the main PS Store.

Looks like it's done an Outrun. Can now only be downloaded by those who originally snagged it when it was up.

Edited by Hogfather

Seems that way. Urth was kind enough to lend me his US PSN details so I could snag it from that store. Looks pretty much the same as the UK one, only the console is now a Genesis and not a Mega Drive.

Other than that, everything's exactly the same. Boxart, pretty randomly clipped TV scenes (the Sonic one is awful, the jump's obvious!)

I did some more looking into this, here is what I found out.

Under pricing for this theme it says

"Playstation Plus exclusive" and thats it.

Now with any other playstation plus offer, so long as it's not going to be on the main store it will say "Playstation plus (insert price/Free)" Followed by the usual price for non PS+ users.

Out of everything I've downloaded from playstation plus, I have never seen any item which just says "Playstation Plus Exclusive." This would indicate that it was for PS+ Users only and nobody else. This would not be the first time that this has happened for themes and avatars I might add.

The theme is still on the US playstation store, but it's definately gone from the EU one, not sure if thats a decision by Sega or just a license issue due to the different territories that the EU store has to go over.

I definitely got mine a week ago. It's pretty neat. I thought I lost my chance to get it before it got in to the US store. Definitely better than that Sonic 4 theme.