Awoo.

Gorillaz

No more

54 minutes ago, Azoo said:

By the way, Damon has talked really hopefully about current day holograms and how much they've advanced in the past decade, so keep that in mind if they go on tour again..

Holograms? Are you shitting me? First they take credit for the band's music, then lock them in the green room during a gig and take over, now they're just gonna demote them to hologram appearances?? Jeez.

But seriously, that sounds amazing. I hope they do this for every live show.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 7 months later...

PHASE 4 HAS BEGUN, KINDA! Kinda.

The new Gorillaz Instagram has posted a series of videos titled "The Book of Noodle" on their Instagram, explaining the aftermath of the Melancholy Hill video, including some new mixed media art. There's no new or past music accompanying these, just familiar Kevin Macleod stock music. I'm expecting more stuff like this covering the rest of the band.

• Thumbs Up 1

What are your thoughts on phase 4 so far? I know technically it's only just sorta kinda begun but Jamie has been posting snippets of art on his Instagram for months. Really I'm quite surprised by 'The Book of Noodle' as I really expected that after plastic beach's very very abrupt end, they'd shy away from narrative a bit and go back to mostly just selling the band as a band again, more akin to phase 1 and most of phase 2 before all the el manana stuff kicked off. Not complaining mind. I'll probably give Rise of the Ogre a re-read to brush up before everything kicks off again!

Stoked for another tour, went to one of the Plastic Beach tour gigs back in 2010 (my god...) and it was a blast.

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks like this phase will be switching a lot more between cartoony and more anatomically correct, which I love, with bits of mixed media from photos. The high energy and contrast art Jamie's posting has me excited for some crazy shit they can come up with in the music videos, and it's so nice to see Noodle constantly smiling and making goofy faces again. Damon said in an interview that the music will be much faster than in previous entries with songs going about 125 BPM, which makes me kinda expect some inspiration from jazz and hip hop, which wouldn't be out of place. If I get the chance to go to one of their shows next year, I can die happy.

• 5 months later...

Might as well bring this up to date, now that new tracks are here.

QUICK RECAP:

The brand - spanking new Gorillaz album is coming on April 28th, entitled Humanz.

Gorillaz-Humanz-album-cover-art.jpg

Pre-orders are up now on the site, with the full / deluxe tracklist being 26 tracks long. While this includes intermissions and the like, that's still more than the S/T (17 for the UK release and 19 for the US), Demon Days (The Japanese releases each had 1 of 3 additional tracks at the end, bringing us to 18 total) AND Plastic Beach (17 for Japanese release, 20 for iTunes) Deluxe Editions. 

Yesterday, 4 new tracks were released on their channel: Ascension (feat. Vince Staples), Saturnz Barz (feat. Popcaan), Andromeda (feat. D.R.A.M.) and We Got the Power (feat. Jehnny Beth). Saturnz Barz in particular received a new animated music video featuring snippets of the other 3 songs throughout. At the time of posting, it's even Trending at #1 on Youtube! And if that wasn't enough, there's also a 360 version of the video for even more insanity.

We're almost there, lads. What do you guys think? I've personally taken a liking to all four so far, with Saturnz Barz and Andromeda being my favourites.

• Thumbs Up 3

It amazes me that there isn't a bigger Sonic and Gorillaz fabase crosscover on his forum to be honest given the average age! So far phase 4 is looking fucking good in my opinion. On first listen wasn't a massive fan of Saturnz Barz but it's grown on me for sure and the video is undoubtedly brilliant. The other three are all great. Although the phase 4 art is a bit...inconstant instant in style, I appreciate the Hewlett is doing his thing and good on him. All on in all, Gorillaz phase 4 is happening and so far it's looking good.

Andromeda is bloody good, it's like the halfway point between Demon Days and Plastic Beach.

Ascension is cool, Vince spitting straight fire, with surprisingly good lyrics.

Saturnz Barz gets better with every listen, but 2D's part nails the song for me.

We Got The Power is so uplifting and positive! Even better, Damon Albarn AND Noel Gallagher working on a track together?! It adds to the message, I'll say. Works beautifully as an album finale (especially when it comes after Hallelujah Money).

And the video is pretty dang good!

Can't wait for the full album.

...not to mention T H E  B A F F

New stuff! Personally I fucking love it, and can only imagine it will work even better on the album, which from what we've heard so far has a very solid flow to it. Also, slow on this, but it's brilliant hearing Russ and 2D speak again for the first time in YEARS in the Saturnz Barz video. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gorillaz collaborate with Pandora with their new Sounds Like You thingy.

Now you can listen to the inspirations of each member with their respective playlists!

Surprise! Bonus track from the deluxe editions of the album is now a single.

In my opinion, OH, this song was good from the first listen. It's a crime it's just a bonus track.