Awoo.

Is Sonic CD overrated?

Mangoaxe5

"Sonic CD" is a game that a lot of people love, but at the same time some fans feel that the game is overrated. I personally find the game to be overrated. It doesn't play as smoothly as "Sonic 2", and "Sonic 3&Knuckles". Plus I hate the time travel system. To travel through time you need to go past a time post, and maintain your speed for a good 5-10 seconds before you will warp through time.

I did however like the boss fights in this game(except for the pinball fight with Robotnik in Collision Chaos Zone).

Do you think that "Sonic CD" is a great game, or do you find it to be overrated?

I never thought Sonic CD was that great (it's not a bad game, though), but I wouldn't call it overrated, since, from my observations, many people here don't find it amazing either.

EDIT:

Edited by Core

I wouldn't really go out of my way to call it overrated or anything, but I've never really cared that much for it like I have for other classic games like Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Also, I'd have to agree with the whole time system. I understand that they were trying to add some new ideas to the game and all, and it was a pretty good concept, but I didn't really like the way they put it all together

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just going to keep it short this time.

Yes. In fact, it shouldn't have the fame it gets. It should have been forgotten long ago.

I won't go into why because that usually results in a fit of me cussing and slamming the game against the walls in every direction things can travel in, and then some because I'm slamming it in my mind. So I can make up fictional directions in space, and then slam the game in subsequent walls in the middle of it's quick line of movement through space-time.

So unless someone really wants me to, I'll just back out of here with that.

Personally? A bit overrated, yes. But at the same time, it's not exactly held in universally high regard as it is.

I don't think it's a bad game, but the level design is massively cluttered and messy compared to the main classic games, and it seems much more focused on exploration than speed (despite needing to run fast to time travel). This is blatantly evident when you notice that most levels will have a few spots that are basically made for the sake of letting you time-travel (usually two springs facing each other), since the level design rarely lets you run enough to do it as-is.

I did find it quite cheeky at the time, when some reviews would cite the game as having "65 levels". Counting each time frame as a separate stage is hardly justifiable, considering the changes are generally minimal, and even than, you'd have to add in the special stages and it still doesn't quite reach that number.

The soundtrack is brilliant, save for a few average ones. The US soundtrack is massively underwhelming, save for a couple of decent ones. And bear in mind I had that opinion many years before I even knew the original soundtrack even existed. :P I grew up with the PC version, and only learned of the Japanese/ European soundtrack in late 2005. I always thought something seemed a little 'off' about the soundtrack, even as a kid.

So yeah, I'd say Sonic CD is 'decent', but nothing too special. It just feels a little clunky and messy.

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssss.

:lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist... but indeed, I do find many massively overrating Sonic CD, for reasons I can never comprehend. I find the time travel mechanic to be an absolute mess. In the rare moments Sonic can build up some decent speed, you'll suddenly hit a signpost and initiate a loading screen, after which one discovers the entire level has changed. Conducive to smoothly flowing gameplay, this is not.

The design and soundtrack (both versions) leave me cold, too. Although I do adore the US Version of the boss music, perhaps the first truly sinister, spine-chilling piece of music in the franchise history. Oh, and the special stages... what was up with that?!

Alas, not even anime cutscenes can save it. Besides, that was done much better by Sonic Riders, years later.

No offence intended to any fans of the videogame. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think it's THAT overrated. Usually people say it's either underwhelming, but never overrated. The level design was shit, though. Especially when you tried to time travel but couldn't find an area to run fast enough to do it.

But HOLY SHIT

Seriously, I had fucking nightmares when I first heard that!

The soundtrack to the american version is very interesting, the EU/JP one sounds good in a classic Sonic way.

In terms of overrated-ness, I would say aesthetically it's the most out-there and beautiful Sonic game (imo of course) but I hear gripes about the level design which I'd probably have to agree with in some instances, though it's nowhere near unplayable.

Sonic CD isn't my favourite game in the series or anything, but it's up there. My reasons for liking it have less to do with important things like gameplay and more to do with stuff like the game's atmosphere and soundtracks (I love both of them for very different reasons), which are really not that important by comparison. I'm completely aware of how frustrating the game can be at times, and I totally understand why so many people here dislike the game because of its obvious gameplay flaws. Hell, even I'll admit that Wacky Workbench is one of the most painful experiences I've ever encountered in a platformer. Even that isn't enough to bring down my opinion of the overall package, though; I'm just too much of a sucker for the stuff that doesn't matter.

So... does CD deserve all of the praise it gets? Probably not. Do I love it anyway? Ayup.

Not at all, since most people I seen talk about it just say that it's overrated and shitty. I've rarely seen anyone say anything good about it. Though I haven't played it anytime recently so I can't speak for its quality.

Edited by Ekaje

Shouldn't this be "Does Sonic CD Still Stack Up?"

lulz

But my opinion regarding Sonic CD is this: It's good, it's really good, it's really really good, but it's not quite as good as the other classics.

The game is by no means less than great, Sonic CD is a wonderful title, but I question the level design decisions. It's hard for a newcomer to have a fun time and run quickly from start to finish. The levels are more open to exploration, which isn't really the best idea for a Sonic game... a 2D one, at least. This was made when Sonic was in his very early years, so it's easy to give this game some slack for weird differences with the rest. Knowing its development history and all, I can't fault the developers for the end product, this was the "other Sonic 2."

And hey, the time travel mechanics were pretty fun. I understand that this is part of the whole open-ended focus of the levels that I just looked down upon, but even I have to admit that it was an interesting gimmick. This is how gimmicks should work in a Sonic game: integrated into the main gameplay without hindering Sonic's main control scheme. The only other game with a gimmick like this that pulled it off was Sonic Colors.

Sonic CD is awesome, just not quite on par with the others. The others were more accessible to play (in terms of availability, few had a SEGA CD) and stuck to the same formula with little variation, and it was the best one.

Think of Sonic CD as a very early "gimmick game," that pulled it off right.

This game shaped my entire childhood.

It's taking everything I've got not to flame everyone in this topic right now. :(

Massively underrated game, hands down.

• Thumbs Up 4

CD was pretty weird.

The level design was more frustrating than any of the other classics. Primarily due to the sheer amount of shit in the way that was slowing you down.

Levels like Quartz quadrant were great, on the other hand Wacky Workbench was just horrible game design. The level was a straight line, with a fucking annoying bouncy floor that did nothing, but slow you down so you wouldn't the complete the level in 5 seconds.

Glenn, have you ever considered a career as a diplomat? :P

Perhaps you could explain in further detail why you think Sonic CD, in particular, is a highlight of the franchise?

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan

It was a "which classic do you like the least topic" and loving them all, I was forced to nitpick. :P

Sonic 2 with a Sonic 3 art style would be badass, come on. D:

Sonic CD is quite easily the most underrated Sonic game out there. Especially with the established fact that 80% of SSMB naturally loathes this game.

Me? I think it's the greatest Sonic game out there, besides Sonic 3K and UnleashedHD. Absolutely brilliant game with tons of layers, tons of platforming, exploration, dizzying speed, time traveling gimmick, crazy special stages, insane soundtracks, unique bosses, time attack, animated openings and endings, brimming with easter eggs... this Sonic game has it all, and all of this was done in 1993. That's quite a big accomplishment for then, and the game does still stand up today as a high-quality title.

Also, everyone hatin on the "flowless level layouts" because they can't keep the pace like I can son colbert.png

• Thumbs Up 2

It was a "which classic do you like the least topic" and loving them all, I was forced to nitpick. :P

Sonic CD is the best Sonic game. Period.

You're wrong if you think different. Mathematically wrong. S x 2 = A, when A = AMAZING.

I call it overrated. When long-time fans list their favorite Sonic games, the top spot is usually reserved for either S3&K or CD. But to me, CD is easily the worst of the classic Sonics, and outshined by a number of later games as well.

It's not that CD is a bad game. It's not fundamentally broken like '06 or packed with bad ideas like ShtH. But it just doesn't work. Sonic's speed is constantly foiled by level design that does not like you, and the time travel gimmick is annoying for several reasons and doesn't really offer anything interesting. The game consistently fails to rise above mediocre in any aspect.

Overratted? Not at all. It's one of those hidden cult classics that's either a love it/hate it deal.

It's not part of the mainstream series, less people know about it than you might think outside of the Sonic community, and I barely ever see anyone mention it except to either say it's good or overrated.

It's one of my favorite titles in the franchise but I understand why others don't like it as much. However, I would never say it was overrated. It doesn't get enough recognition to be "overrated", which implies as if people constantly talk about it being good when that's simply not the case.

Sonic CD was more exploration based than any title in the franchise and built around platforming with rarer speed moments. It had a surreal appeal and more of a platforming core with more puzzles and badnik strategy than we find in most Sonic games. However, it missed some of the core elements other people look for in the franchise and as such, it ends up being a love it or hate it game. Overrated? Not a chance. Liked by everyone? No way. Has it's audiences that love it? Indefinitely! Has those that don't understand the appeal and dislike it? Yep.

I enjoyed the different take on where the Sonic franchise could of turned to as I view Sonic CD and Sonic 2 as two opposite directions the franchise could of taken as they both started development as Sonic 2. Think of it as a different take on the franchise after Sonic 1 rather than some abomination to the franchise, cause it is a quality early 90s game, just it wasn't made for everybody.

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper
  • Thumbs Up 2

Overrated? Most overrated Sonic game in the history of forever. There's no end to how overrated it is. If it were a person it'd be a tiny douchebag who kicks sand in your face, yet everyone seems to love him so much.