Awoo.

BAFTA Game awards!

Badnik Mechanic

BAFTA videogame awards are live right now...

Here is the live stream

It's shocking choppy so if someone can find a better one please get it up.

OMG! Dara O'Briain is the host!

dara.jpg

He's a big videogamer and a comedian who actually did a standup segment about games and it was hilarious.

And the Winner is!

Strategy

WINNER: Civilization V

Fallout: New Vegas

FIFA Manager 11

Napoleon Total War

Plants vs. Zombies XBLA

Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty

Social Network Game

WINNER: My Empire

Bejeweled Blitz

Farmerama

FIFA Superstars

Zoo Mumba

Zuma Blitz

(Nobody has heard of any of those games...)

Original Music

WINNER: Heavy Rain

Normand Corbeil

Alan Wake

Petri Alanko

Fable III

Russell Shaw

James Bond 007: Bloodstone

Richard Jacques

Mass Effect 2

Jack Wall

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Koji Kondo

Handheld

WINNER: Cut the Rope

God of War: Ghost of Sparta

LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4

Professor Layton and the Lost Future

Sonic Colours

Super Scribblenauts

(hey look! Sonic colours got nominated and lost to a game... I've never heard of?

Family

WINNER: Kinect Adventures

Dance Central

Kinect Sports

Kinectimals

LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4

Toy Story 3

(OH MY GOD! Kinect has finally won an award for something *has a heart attack*)

Artistic Achievement

WINNER: God of War III

Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Heavy Rain

LIMBO

Mass Effect 2

(Black ops was artistic?)

Action

WINNER: Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

BioShock 2

God of War III

Halo: Reach

(Assasins Creed!? That bead God of War 3!? You know... Theres more action in Kinectimals than Assassins creed!)

Gameplay

WINNER: Super Mario Galaxy 2

God of War III

Heavy Rain

LIMBO

Mass Effect 2

So for us Sonic fans, Sonic was nominated... but didn't win... curses!

Sports

WINNER: F1 2010

FIFA 11

Football Manager 2011

Gran Turismo 5

International Cricket 2010

Pro Evolution Soccer 2011

I'm suprised! You're suprised! GT5 guys are suprised! Even F1 2010 dev team who are accepting the award is suprised because he doesn't have a speach planned and forgot to take the award when he left the stage... hmmm...

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 1

Totally glad that Super Mario Galaxy 2 got the gameplay award. That was interesting tidbit about the game originally being called More Super Mario Galaxy.

Lol @ the band Blue not knowing what they're talking about :lol:

Multiplayer

WINNER: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty

LOL!!!!!

WOW!

Oh man... COD and Halo fanboys are going to be really really really really mad... huh huh... huh... huh hur... ah-hahahahahahahahahahaha ROAR HAHAHAHAAA!! RAWR!

"We didn't expect to win, we were at the office playing black ops multiplayer" --- Quote from the Need for Speed dev team..

That's an epic win right there. It's so epic, it gets the uber rare SSMB Barry Chukle seal of approval.

s_cf2397fcafe9eebb2964110cb18edd20.jpg

Edited by Hogfather

My faith in UK gamers is at an all-time high now. So glad to see Black Ops and Halo not winning everything :D I really thought Black Ops would take the Multiplayer award.

Story

WINNERS: Heavy Rain

Alan Wake

BioShock 2

Fallout: New Vegas

Mass Effect 2

Really though, there would have been a big problem if Black ops, Bioshock 2 or Fallout won this one..

Theres a bald man with white glasses now about to announce the best game... They must be serious to find a balm man with glasses.

Best Game

FIFA 11

Heavy Rain

LIMBO

Mass Effect 2

Super Mario Galaxy 2

If Fifa 11 or Assassins creed wins.... there will be trouble /robocop.

Best Game goes to Mass Effect 2

Lol! Fifa was nominated? :lol:

Best Game

Winner: Mass Effect 2

FIFA 11

Heavy Rain

LIMBO

Super Mario Galaxy 2

mmmm I can live with that... lol why is Fifa 11 nominated?

And thats the end of the show... well that was it.

See you for E3 and the hope that Tak "You will be sucked" Fuji makes his triumphant return!

Edited by Hogfather

Best Game

Winner: Mass Effect 2

FIFA 11

Heavy Rain

LIMBO

Super Mario Galaxy 2

mmmm I can live with that... lol why is Fifa 11 nominated?

And thats the end of the show... well that was it.

See you for E3 and the hope that Tak "You will be sucked" Fuji makes his triumphant return!

There's one more award yet: The Fellowship Award.

EDIT:

It's going to Peter Molyneux.

Peter Molyneux - Academy Fellow in 2011 Peter Molyneux, the game designing legend behind Dungeon Keeper, Theme Park and the Fable series is to receive the Academy Fellowship

Oh theres a few other awards if you scroll down.

Technical Innovation

Kinectimals

Super Mario Galaxy 2

(Considering what else is there, definately agree)

Use of Audio

WINNER: Battlefield: Bad Company: 2

Alan Wake

DJ Hero 2

LIMBO

BAFTA Ones to Watch Award

WINNER: Twang!

Mush

Sculpty

(*Shrugs* I'm sure somebody has heard of them)

GAME.co.uk Award

WINNER: Call of Duty: Black Ops

Dance Central

FIFA 11

Halo Reach

Heavy Rain

Limbo

Mass Effect 2

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Red Dead Redemption

Super Mario Galaxy 2

It should be noted... Game.co.uk award is normally given to the game which currently costs £44.99 every year... and usually it's a very eye rolling winner which leads me to suspect it's actually picked not by game.co.uk's users... but by the company itself looking for extra sal... (OOOH! *Quickly puts hand to lips*)

Edited by Hogfather

I'm glad Assassin's Creed got atleast one award. Dissapointed it didn't win Best Multiplayer (Need for Speed?! O__o). And SMG2 didn't win Best Music! Wtf? =(

Then again, it did win gameplay. That makes me happy! :3 And so does Mass Effect 2 winning best game.

GAME.co.uk Award

WINNER: Call of Duty: Black Ops

Dance Central

FIFA 11

Halo Reach

Heavy Rain

Limbo

Mass Effect 2

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Red Dead Redemption

Super Mario Galaxy 2

And that's why the public doesn't deserve a say.

Some excellent results there... I'm very pleased to see Richard Jacques get a nomination for his musical score to Blood Stone 007, which I'm listening to at the moment! In my opinion, he deserved to win, although I haven't heard the other scores so perhaps that's a slight bit of bias!

Also, well done Sonic Colours, a nomination is nothing to sniff at... for the Nintendo DS version?! Nice! :)

I'm glad Assassin's Creed got atleast one award. Dissapointed it didn't win Best Multiplayer (Need for Speed?! O__o). And SMG2 didn't win Best Music! Wtf? =(

Then again, it did win gameplay. That makes me happy! :3 And so does Mass Effect 2 winning best game.

I will say that I am happy with how it went in general even if I might think differently in some areas. However, realize that Mario Galaxy 2, in the sound department, was against some very heavy hitters. I loved Mario Galaxy 2's soundtrack, but have you heard Heavy Rain's and Alan Wake's scores? Both are masterful soundtracks that do a great job at capturing emotion and a certain beauty with them, tracks that are elegant, tracks that are intense, and in Alan Wake's case, it even has some very famous music in it (such as Space Oddity from David Bowie and Poets of the Fall not only donating a fantastic song but composing two original vocal songs for Alan Wake specifically). I love Mario Galaxy 2, but I think Heavy Rain and Alan Wake had better soundtracks.

(songs that pop up when you search up the games soundtracks on Youtbe)

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper

I have heard the Alan Wake soundtrack before, and I agree that it's pretty damn good. *has the game* I'm listening to Heavy Rain's main theme now and...so epic! O-O

Technical Innovation

I'm sorry, what? I mean, yeah, the other games don't make sense, but Heavy Rain was all just a QTE Fest.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Chuffed that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won the Gameplay award.

Not surprised that COD won the GAME award, being public-voted an' all.

Seems Heavy Rain is winning all over the place. Can someone tell me what Heavy Rain is? /isfoolishnoobwhoknowsnothing

I'm sorry, what? I mean, yeah, the other games don't make sense, but Heavy Rain was all just a QTE Fest.

lolz you are joking aren't you?

Seems Heavy Rain is winning all over the place. Can someone tell me what Heavy Rain is? /isfoolishnoobwhoknowsnothing

Heavy Rain is a mystery/thriller game (for an easy description) which is heavilly influenced by film noir. The graphics on it are quite stunning by the thing that makes it stand out is the control scheme, you do not just mindless do QTE events as it's critics/people who have not played the game will have you believe.

To best describe it, imagine you're in a dark room and someone shines a torch on various objects, you then move to those objects, you control the characters by focus and drawing attention to various objects and characters on the screen as apposed to directly controlling a character to say 'walk over there, push button, talk to him etc etc'

The new Jurassic Park game will be having a similar control scheme, i.e. the characters move and interact with objects/environments by drawing focus to objects instead of directly moving a character around.

It also uses a very advanced form of the 'your actions influence the outcome of the game' it's not as clear cut as most types of games that use this feature, subtle changes can influence the rest of the story, even the main characters can die, but the game can still progress until it's eventual climax.

Oh yes and it's also recieved a Move support patch too which probably strengthened it's case to be the winner.

Edited by Hogfather

I'm suprised! You're suprised! GT5 guys are suprised! Even F1 2010 dev team who are accepting the award is suprised because he doesn't have a speach planned and forgot to take the award when he left the stage... hmmm...

I'm not. The only game besides F1 2010 that had a chance was FIFA (though I will admit that I would have expected FIFA to be the shoe-in).