Awoo.

So I went back and played some Advance 2

T-Min

Out of the entire Advance series, Advance 2 is the least familiar to me. Up until last year, it was the only one that I hadn't completed as all characters. So, one summer's day, I decided that I would get of my lazy butt and properly complete the game. It took me a few days and much frustration thanks to how hard it is to get the Chaos Emeralds (and my horrifying discovery that I could only access the extra boss if I got them all as Sonic), but I finally completed it. I remembered enjoying it.

Fast forward to this spring, and I get in the mood to play it again. I start the game as Sonic, and I have fun at first...until I realize that I've literally been holding one direction on the D-Pad for the past three zones.

Now, I don't want to sound like a hypocrite here. Even though they're all frequently criticised by the fanbase for the amount of automation present, I love the Sonic Rush games and I would be lying if I said that I didn't have a lot of fun with Colors DS and even Sonic 4: Episode I. In the case of the Rush games, they feature the boost mechanic that added a much more hectic and fast feeling to the gameplay. The levels were designed accordingly, each one feeling like an exhiliarating rollercoaster ride and the gimmicks exclusive to the levels always added to that. The original Rush even featured a few good platforming sections. Though Advance 2's level design does shine at times (particularly in Techno Base, my favorite zone in the game) and even features specific gimmicks that compliment the fast pace, it lacks the hectic feeling of the Rush games. This isn't helped by the fact that Advance 2 is much slower paced than Rush thanks to the lack of a boost, and there is even less platforming in Advance 2. This all comes together to make Advance 2 start to get old and eventually bland, monotonous, or even boring quickly.

Still, I'm not going to deny that good effort was put into the game. Aside from the stereotypical forest-y starting level, each level is brand new and features its own gimmicks. The graphics complement this, giving each level a highly detailed, colorful look. I'd even say that it remains one of the most visually appealing Game Boy Advance games ever (on a technical level, that would probably be untrue). The characters are similarly well-animated, and they even added in a satisfying afterimage effect when you pick up enough speed. Speaking of which, there are four different characters to play the game with, each with his/her own moveset. Let's not forget that the music is kick-anus (yes, kick-anus). I also think that having the bosses fought while running was an interesting idea.

On the whole, I suppose I would give it a 6/10. A lot of effort was definitely put into the game's aesthetics, the level themes are cool, and there are even times when the level design shines. Still, it matters little when almost all you have to do to beat the levels is hold right. Not counting the times you hold left, of course.

So, yeah, that was my mini-review. Agree, disagree, or whatever, but don't call me wrong or biased or I'll eat your babies. (Jk, but don't. ;))

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• T-Min

• Raxz

• Badnik Zero

• Glenn

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice jorb there, dawg. Good read. I think I'll just avoid Advance 2 after all.

Also, please don't eat my babies.

Nice jorb there, dawg. Good read. I think I'll just avoid Advance 2 after all.

Also, please don't eat my babies.

• Thumbs Up 1

Music Plant is the best thing the game has to offer and I will fully say that it's the most fun zone I have had out of all of the Dimps Sonic iterations. Not only does it shy away from the "holding down one direction syndrome" that the rest of the zones have, but it pulls off nearly every trope that the classic Sonic games did and I still have a lot of fun going back to play it. Sure, it is possible to just hold right and complete it easily, but where is the fun in that? Exploring this zone and hitting all the gimmicks, that each are based on a completely different instrument and hearing those notes that play off each other is a real calm, yet exhilarating experience.

Although there are a few oddly placed enemies, and that bottomless pit near the end of act 1 is more irritating that it's worth (mostly because the grind rail you have to grind's opening is a little to short), but it's not enough to deter me from enjoying the rest of the level.

It's just really a downer that the rest of the game didn't match up to this zone, unfortunately.

I guess True Area 53's music is also a real highlight of the game for me as well. The rest of the game is just buried in "Meh," which I think this mini-review holds a lot of what I agree with the game.

Can I just ask how many times you guys use the aerial tricks to gain air during a playthrough of this game?

Can I just ask how many times you guys use the aerial tricks to gain air during a playthrough of this game?

Well, you didn't ask me, but I'll chip in with "lots". :D

Nice mini-review, T-Man, you baby-eating, anus-kicking freak of... oh, wait, that was a joke? Right, gotcha! *ahem* Anyway, I tend to disagree with your conclusion of a mere six points, to be honest. In actual fact, the middle of the trilogy is my favourite. It started on a very solid note with Sonic Advance, which was essentially identical to the classic MegaDrive titles, but faster (and what I sometimes tend to consider the "true" Sonic the Hedgehog 4, if I'm feeling particularly generous). And while many seem to blast Sonic Advance 3, it definitely entertained me and gets respect for trying new things.

So where does that leave this videogame, for me personally? Best of both worlds. It has the speed of the former, the tricks of the latter. It has enough detail to make it seem more coherant an adventure, but avoids getting lost in 2D hub worlds. It also has the best soundtrack (just my personal opinion, but Ice Paradise Zone, Act One, has a downright genius tune) and the running boss battles answer my age-old question of "Why doesn't Sonic just chase Dr. Eggman away? Why's he stopped to dodge this giant swinging ball instead?"

You're not "wrong" or "biased" in the slightest. We all have different opinions and that's something to be celebrated in a franchise as diverse as Sonic the Hedgehog... but I do disagree with your final score, it has to be said!

Me? I'd go with a nine. :)

Why, thank you! But even though Advance 2 isn't that good, I would definitely recommend Advance 1 and Advance 3. Advance 1 is the closest to the classics out of the series, and Advance 3 combines Advance 2's speed and Advance 1's platforming really well.

That's funny, I thought the general consensus was that Advance 3 was actually pretty hated overall. huh.gif Each to their own of course, but still.

Personally, I find Advance 2 to be my favourite of the trilogy. Advance 1 was all good and well, but it really was just Sonic 4 (and arguably still plays a lot more like Sonic 4 than the actual Sonic 4). There's only so much excitement you can muster for something that's essentially more of the same. Advance 2 actually tried something which was, at the time, totally new. Okay, perhaps it's the biggest example of the criticism "hold right to win", but I still found it a brilliant game.

Advance 3 just didn't really stand out to me much, for whatever reason. I never noticed at the time, but the most common complaint I hear about it is that the level design is pretty messy.

Advance 3 combines Advance 2's speed and Advance 1's platforming really well.

*twitch*

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Nowhere in the OP are the air tricks mentioned. For shame! I for one think the air tricks added a lot of fun to the game, once you got used to them.

Seriously, what's with all the Advance 3 hate? I'm not sure if I liked it quite as much as the original Advance, but it was still pretty awesome imo.

So I didn't like this game for about a year. I hadn't tried anything past the first Advance until 2007. It turns out this game is Dimps' closest to a Sonic Rush Zero, and that makes it very enjoyable to me. The only negative for me (and probably everyone) is the special stage entry. I give this game a 9/10 now.

Yes the levels all slope downwards, but they're multi-tiered and cover lots of space. How do you find the upper levels? You air trick when coming off of anything. There's so many ways up there. Every zone after the first has three or more stacks of levels. If you think this game is a hold-right-athon, you're not tricking!

Advance 2 is the most fun I've had with a 2D sonic game. Even though you mostly just hold right thru the levels, the feeling of the physics and the pacing was just so addicting for me. The graphics are super clean and the music is so catchy.

Advance 1 was okay but felt way too slow. It was pretty much Sonic 4 though. I never played 3 or the Rushes so.. I can't say if they're better.

Seriously, what's with all the Advance 3 hate? I'm not sure if I liked it quite as much as the original Advance, but it was still pretty awesome imo.

I think (and this isn't a concrete set of facts from one who loathes the videogame: despite saying 'tis the weakest of the trilogy, that's like saying "Oh, go on then, if you've only got milk chocolate...") the general negative opinion stems from two aspects.

Firstly, the hub worlds, which even grate with me. I love the fast-flowing progression of the previous two videogames, akin to the classic MegaDrive videogames that defined Sonic in two dimensions. Sticking in 2D hub worlds is a head-scratcher, because they add nothing to the storyline or progression (save two different types of live-giving minigames which are tricky at best, making the only chance of gaining extra lives a madcap, one-shot thirty seconds of panic). Perhaps because there were three acts, plus a boss act, the developers believed that players needed a method of saving their progress between acts, and hub worlds were inserted... I don't know. And indeed, 'tis certainly a large and detailled videogame. But for quick handheld blasts, maybe too detailled?

Secondly, the double-team special attacks (and the whole double-team gimmick) is massively redundant. I never, ever use a double-team special attack anymore when replaying my favourite acts and zones. The only one I ever used, out of sheer curiosity, was the huge hyperjump Sonic could perform with Tails. And indeed, it was useful for messing about, but hardly ever essential to gameplay, which made it slightly cheesy. That said, I do quite like the idea in theory, and don't hold any ill will towards the videogame because of it. This point is merely from what I've heard others say in more critical reviews (alongside the hub world criticism and a more general criticism of the difficulty level, not helped by those elusive life-giving minigames).

I personally adore Sonic Advance 3, it has to be stressed. There's a wonderful variety of zones, gorgeous visuals, some excellent soundtrack tunes (even if they're pinched from Sonic Battle, they're still cool) and the same high quality level that permeated the previous two videogames in the trilogy. I think, however, 'tis a victim of ambition. With the premise and format, it had the potential of being an early handheld Sonic Unleashed, but instead comes across as yet more 2D Sonic, only "beefed up".

Which is no bad thing. :)

I think the general negative opinion stems from two aspects;

Firstly, the hub worlds, Secondly, the double-team special attacks

Actually, from all the rants about the game I've read on here, the hubs were almost never brought up. The usual subjects of the hate are the level design and the physics.

Frankly, Adv. 3 had a lot going for it; neat level themes, a far better story than the previous 2 games, but it all fell flat when it failed to deliver on the actual gameplay.

Personally Advance 3 was my favorite in the series. I kinda liked the hub-worlds and loved the team stuff, with 5 characters there were so many combinations, and I used the team moves all the time.

Seriously, what's with all the Advance 3 hate?

is what's with all of the Sonic Advance 3 hate. Or (though I don't entirely agree with that particular post). There are others in that thread, but to expound on them would take this thread wildly off topic. Feel free to post in that thread if you would like, though.

Firstly, the hub worlds, which even grate with me. I love the fast-flowing progression of the previous two videogames, akin to the classic MegaDrive videogames that defined Sonic in two dimensions. Sticking in 2D hub worlds is a head-scratcher, because they add nothing to the storyline or progression (save two different types of live-giving minigames which are tricky at best, making the only chance of gaining extra lives a madcap, one-shot thirty seconds of panic). Perhaps because there were three acts, plus a boss act, the developers believed that players needed a method of saving their progress between acts, and hub worlds were inserted... I don't know. And indeed, 'tis certainly a large and detailled videogame. But for quick handheld blasts, maybe too detailled?

Actually, as someone who does loathe the game, I thought the hub worlds were pretty cool. One of the few things I thought brought any value in the game. And I legitimately enjoyed the little minigame challenges interspersed throughout them.

Secondly, the double-team special attacks (and the whole double-team gimmick) is massively redundant. I never, ever use a double-team special attack anymore when replaying my favourite acts and zones. The only one I ever used, out of sheer curiosity, was the huge hyperjump Sonic could perform with Tails. And indeed, it was useful for messing about, but hardly ever essential to gameplay, which made it slightly cheesy.

This is a pretty big one, though not exactly for the reasoning you brought up. I mentioned it in more detail in the other thread.

In an attempt to drag this back on topic:

Yes the levels all slope downwards, but they're multi-tiered and cover lots of space. How do you find the upper levels? You air trick when coming off of anything. There's so many ways up there. Every zone after the first has three or more stacks of levels. If you think this game is a hold-right-athon, you're not tricking!

This is pretty spot-on. You can absolutely play Sonic Advance 2 like a hold right to win game (and while this is true to an extent for all Sonic games, excepting perhaps Sonic 3, I admit that Advance 2 plays that card more frequently). The game was also designed in a way that you could get much more out of it if you learned how the trick system worked.

Edited by Tornado

Besides Music Plant, Techno Base and a few tracks, Advance 2 stood out the most to me in its boss fights; some of the best in the series IMO. Seriously, running boss fights are the SHIT- I don't know why the series doesn't do it more often.

Besides Music Plant, Techno Base and a few tracks, Advance 2 stood out the most to me in its boss fights; some of the best in the series IMO. Seriously, running boss fights are the SHIT- I don't know why the series doesn't do it more often.

Maybe it's just my anger issues but I don't think bosses that made me throw the controller (Yes, controller, I don't have access to an actual GBA.) at the wall are "some of the best in the series."

The levels of Advance 2 I liked on the other hand...