Awoo.

Holy Dooley

Mr. Awesomest

I remember a while back that some physics professor did this exercise where they calculate how strong the gravity is in Mario games based on how long it takes for him to fall certain distances, and they come up with a number that was something like the gravity on Jupiter, and he's able to jump several times his own height under these conditions. The Doom Guy is meant to be a human who can run at, depending on the assumptions made, anywhere from 30 mph to 60 mph while carrying something like 600 pounds of munitions (And while I'm at it, check out The Doom Comic).

Don't even get me started on Sonic physics.

Even in the classic's they had not even the slightest resemblance to realistic physics. I mean for one, you can roll down one side of a half-pipe and end up rolling higher when going up the other side. This isn't possible in a vacuum environment, let alone one which implies some kind of atmosphere. Physics dictates that in a vacuum, frictionless place rolling down a slope and up another slope will never allow you to gain any height because GPE is conserved and you can't start of with x GPE and end up with x+1 GPE.

Lets face it though, in platformers realistic physics shouldn't even be postulated because they clearly are far removed from anything resembling reality. Sport-sims, shooters, realistic action/adventure? Fine, but in platformers starring, blue hedgehogs and red-suited plumbers fighting turtle-dragons, leave that out of the equation.

Now I've got something for you Mr.Mathematician. Try and explain Sonic 4's physics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqxvYkutHNM

1: Don't call me that

2: Sonic has extremely powerful electromagnets with very wide ranges in his shoes that he controls with buttons that he hits with his toes. Pinky toe to activate the frontal magnet, does the cool walking on walls thing. The Big toe toggles the middle magnet. Since the toe is so large, it functions in reverse: To turn it on, release the big toe button, and to turn it off, hit it. This explains why he stops in the air if he does not focus at all times. The toe next to it controls the backwards magnet, allowing him to turn around in the air and head in the other direction, even after doing an insanely fast spindash jump. The range of these electromagnets are so large, they instantly fling toward the ground, in hope of getting the metal ores underneath it.

Awesome! Now do Captain Falcon

In the anime, he was shown blowing up a galaxy with his Falcon Punch.

I will not do this. But I will let you know I would not put the number of pounds of force he did. I'd have to use terratons, and the number would probably be over a billion of those.

Edited by Mr.Awesomest
  • Thumbs Up 2

2: Sonic has extremely powerful electromagnets with very wide ranges in his shoes that he controls with buttons that he hits with his toes. Pinky toe to activate the frontal magnet, does the cool walking on walls thing. The Big toe toggles the middle magnet. Since the toe is so large, it functions in reverse: To turn it on, release the big toe button, and to turn it off, hit it. This explains why he stops in the air if he does not focus at all times. The toe next to it controls the backwards magnet, allowing him to turn around in the air and head in the other direction, even after doing an insanely fast spindash jump. The range of these electromagnets are so large, they instantly fling toward the ground, in hope of getting the metal ores underneath it.

Sounds reasonable to me.

In the anime, he was shown blowing up a galaxy with his Falcon Punch.
A common misconception! That scene is taken ridiculously out of context. Said galaxy was already going critical by the time Falcon decided to do his thing, and all he really did was prevent Black Shadow from escaping by Falcon Punching him back into it. It makes more sense if you've seen the scenes prior, even though it does look awesome outside of its original context.

If you want to do an accurate calculation of what a Falcon Punch can do though, you could always set up a game of Smash Bros, punch some guy in the face and calculate the ensuing escape velocity and consequently, the force required to fling some poor bastard away that quickly. If it works that way I mean, obviously I'm not much for advanced physics.

Excuseme how do you caculate Shadow's chaos boost abilites?

Well... the only time they deliberately tell you exactly how powerful the Chaos Emeralds are is in JP Sonic X, where they say legend says if you gather all seven of the Chaos Emeralds you'll have the world in the palm of your hand. So, for each Emerald Shadow has, that's like a seventh of all the thought power in the world.

To figure out how much that is, just take how much energy humans use by thinking, and how many people there are on Earth.

Edited by Raxz

To figure out how much that is, just take how much energy humans use by thinking, and how many people there are on Earth.

*comment about how people don't think*

*+99rep*

• Thumbs Up 6

If you want to do an accurate calculation of what a Falcon Punch can do though, you could always set up a game of Smash Bros, punch some guy in the face and calculate the ensuing escape velocity and consequently, the force required to fling some poor bastard away that quickly. If it works that way I mean, obviously I'm not much for advanced physics.

Get ready to calculate an inelastic collision between my fist and YOUR FACE!!!

But Smash Bros. ruins that with the way damage causes things to fly farther. Just like how you could make a table explode by shooting it a few times in Goldeneye(?).

More on topic, I came up with an idea a while back for calculating the amount of energy Super Sonic has at his disposal. As soon as I get more time I'll elaborate. I never actually ran the numbers because I couldn't find the formula for the area of a torus. I kinda forgot how to calculus.

But Smash Bros. ruins that with the way damage causes things to fly farther.

Just calculate the distance the average character flies while at 0% damage. The % damage in the game increases that distance as it gets higher.

Speaking of Smash Bros, if only Sonic had the kind of power talked about in this thread in Sonic the Fighers, Sonic Battle, and of course, Smash Bros Brawl.

But then, he would be rather broken. :)

This means that a fight between Sonic and Scourge should shatter worlds. It's DBZ all over again!

Guys, how strong do you think Eggman is? remember, he's been faster than Sonic before and he has a larger weight. Does that equal the ultimate destroyer of worlds?

robotnicus.jpg

Yes, yes it does.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just calculate the distance the average character flies while at 0% damage. The % damage in the game increases that distance as it gets higher.

That wouldn't really be representative of the move. The greater knockback of attacks at higher percentages is a function of the attack, not the victim. Each attack has a base knockback and its own growth vs. damage.

robotnicus.jpg

Yes, yes it does.

jawdroprt.jpg

I have seen the face of god, and his name is Robotnicus.

The reciprocal (ex: in 1/2=.5, 2 is the reciprocal of .5) of .001716 is 582.75058275, and it goes on, but I'll stop there.

fun-fun-fun.gif

• 7 months later...

A thought.

We know that Sonic uses his arms (which are really really really strong) to stop himself from becoming blue jelly against a stone wall...

But in Sonic 1, we see him burrowing through solid stone in certain areas in Green Hill Zone. He also does this in Star Light Zone, where he's effectively burrowing through some kind of strong metallic alloy. So, Sonic is digging through metal.

..what are the implications of Sonic's spinning abilities?! Meaning, well, what kind of damage is this little blue buzz-saw move capable of?!

Edited by Indigo Generations

...what are the implications of Sonic's spinning abilities?! Meaning, well, what kind of damage is this little blue buzz-saw move capable of?!

I don't think the spinning itself is that powerful, more rather the force it is being hit with. When roads are built on rocky mountains, and they need to make the ground flat, what did they do? They blasted the rock with high pressurized water. What broke the rock wasn't that the water was sharp. What broke the rock it was the fact that it was several pounds of water flying at high speeds at the rock.

When Sonic rolls, he's effectively recreating the constant stream of high pressurized water and speeding the process up to a whole entire day in a second: He hits the rock with a bone, and the rock breaks. Then he keeps on going, slamming it with other bones in his body, making the rock continue shattering until Sonic has made a cave. Therefore, I say that Sonic's bones are not only just incredibly hard, but they are also nigh indestructible. This means Sonic's bone is made of a material possibly as hard as diamond, but about as brittle as titanium. Sonic appears to have control over what he does fuck up and what he doesn't, or so it appears. This shouldn't be possible, but he's Sonic the Mother Fucking Hedgehog, he's way past cool and couldn't care less about basic properties of matter.

tl;dr Sonic's bones are made of dark matter, hard as diamond, brittle as something that isn't brittle in the slightest. I hereby place it as an element on the periodic table: Whatthefuckium (WTF). It's atomic mass is 9001 and has eight hundred electron layers. There are traces of it in every magnet in the world.

Edited by Mr.Awesomest
  • Thumbs Up 6

I don't think the spinning itself is that powerful, more rather the force it is being hit with. When roads are built on rocky mountains, and they need to make the ground flat, what did they do? They blasted the rock with high pressurized water. What broke the rock wasn't that the water was sharp. What broke the rock it was the fact that it was several pounds of water flying at high speeds at the rock.

When Sonic rolls, he's effectively recreating the constant stream of high pressurized water and speeding the process up to a whole entire day in a second: He hits the rock with a bone, and the rock breaks. Then he keeps on going, slamming it with other bones in his body, making the rock continue shattering until Sonic has made a cave. Therefore, I say that Sonic's bones are not only just incredibly hard, but they are also nigh indestructible. This means Sonic's bone is made of a material possibly as hard as diamond, but about as brittle as titanium. Sonic appears to have control over what he does fuck up and what he doesn't, or so it appears. This shouldn't be possible, but he's Sonic the Mother Fucking Hedgehog, he's way past cool and couldn't care less about basic properties of matter.

tl;dr Sonic's bones are made of dark matter, hard as diamond, brittle as something that isn't brittle in the slightest. I hereby place it as an element on the periodic table: Whatthefuckium (WTF). It's atomic mass is 9001 and has eight hundred electron layers. There are traces of it in every magnet in the world.

You can explain any-fucking-thing.

But, how does Tails spin his two Tails without twisting them up at all?

But, how does Tails spin his two Tails without twisting them up at all?

I'm not entirely sure, I'm just making this up right now, but here goes nothing:

The only way I can see his tails functioning how they do without tangling up is if they rooted inside an unnoticable ball socket and had a gear-like mechanism/organ to turn them. Whether this is natural or artificial is unable to explain with what we know, but Tails is a smart kid. If non-game media serves right, Tails was made fun of for his two tails. Using his genius, he decided to make some good use out of his two tails. AND SO HE BEGAN THE OPERATION ON HIS ASS.

Or it could have been natural, which is entirely possible, looking at Sonic's secondary powers. Natural organ systems are complex, they feature a lot of simple machines, one of the few they need to be essentially biological robots are gears, so it is possible that Tails had some exceptionally crazy-ass genes.

• Thumbs Up 2